P90X... starting a new thread...

Options

Replies

• nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I really want to start P90X. I've lost 80 lbs over the past 2 years and I know p90x will help me reach my goal of losing 30 more lbs.

It's just too expensive. I am a senior in College and getting married in October so I can't afford to boy it new.

Does anybody know where I can a get it used, and for cheap?

Thanks a lot.

Jay

Hey, P90X can we purchased online through http://www.mydvdonsale.com/productview.php?proid=8&gclid=CMvnsJa_ipkCFR0Sagod7A8pnw for $48.99.

If you're feeling naughty you can download it for free on Bearshare or Limewire.

- Vee
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Okay... I weighed myself this morning, and I'm down 2 pounds... Much better than gaining 1 like I thought yesterday... I also got new shoes for my poor feet(Plyo was killing me), and I finally got a pullup bar!!! I'm going to give it a try tonight after I play volleyball...
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I really want to start P90X. I've lost 80 lbs over the past 2 years and I know p90x will help me reach my goal of losing 30 more lbs.

It's just too expensive. I am a senior in College and getting married in October so I can't afford to boy it new.

Does anybody know where I can a get it used, and for cheap?

Thanks a lot.

Jay

Hey, P90X can we purchased online through http://www.mydvdonsale.com/productview.php?proid=8&gclid=CMvnsJa_ipkCFR0Sagod7A8pnw for $48.99.

If you're feeling naughty you can download it for free on Bearshare or Limewire.

- Vee

Yes, but the Fitness Plan & Nutrition Guide are not included. These two books are absolutely essential to complete the program and achieve optimum results.
  • sandy429
    Options
    Okay... I weighed myself this morning, and I'm down 2 pounds... Much better than gaining 1 like I thought yesterday... I also got new shoes for my poor feet(Plyo was killing me), and I finally got a pullup bar!!! I'm going to give it a try tonight after I play volleyball...

Way to go!! My hubby just bought me new shoes too; it made a huge difference.
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    woo hoo day 4 yoga done! well half of it, is there anything else to do instead of yoga? also did abx!! :smile:
  • MissResa
    Options
    Blahhhh... I am still trying to force myself to like yoga... Sometimes, I think I get frustrated that I can't do all the positions, other times, I feel like it's too slow. I know it's good for me, I just can't compare it to the other routines!!!
  • tracy24
    Options
    yes its really slow! i gotta find something else to do :noway:
  • kidkinetix
    Options
    On my 5th rnd of the X & X+ I didnt loose any weight for about 6wks
    CHECK your measurements, they will be the factor
    just do your best!
  • sandy429
    Options
    woo hoo day 4 yoga done! well half of it, is there anything else to do instead of yoga? also did abx!! :smile:

Wow, you did yoga belly 7 & ab ripper? That's a whole lot of abs!

As for whether you can skip yoga, the short answer is 'no'. I know of a really great explanation as to why, but I have to get on the beachbody message boards to copy it, and they are down at the moment. This question is asked so often on the BB boards (like I wish I had a nickel for everytime), that some of the members have their answers ready to cut and paste.

I'll get back to you a little later with that info, but please do give it time. Yoga is included each week in the program for a reason -- because it's important. I don't think anyone is good at it at first, but where would the challenge be if it was easy? I will say that I've done several yoga dvds & taken quite a few classes, and YogaX is quite intense. Tony Horton has said that if he could only do one exercise for the rest of his life, it would be yoga because of all the benefits it provides.
  • MissResa
    Options
    One thing that the Yoga X workout is so good for is the added flexability that you gain from it. There are many things that I struggle with, but I have already noticed an increase in my flexability from only a month, and almost a half, of doing it. I know it's good for me, I just get bored to tears sometimes... Mainly because it is so long. Jess told me that there is a shorter DVD that Tony made, called Fountain of Youth(?)... I just force myself to do it, because I know it will be good for me in the long run.:drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    One thing that the Yoga X workout is so good for is the added flexability that you gain from it. There are many things that I struggle with, but I have already noticed an increase in my flexability from only a month, and almost a half, of doing it. I know it's good for me, I just get bored to tears sometimes... Mainly because it is so long. Jess told me that there is a shorter DVD that Tony made, called Fountain of Youth(?)... I just force myself to do it, because I know it will be good for me in the long run.:drinker:

Yep, you will gain flexibility and help your muscles recover. I know, it is honestly not a favorite of mine. I do stretch every night, and after I run. I've learned from having injuries that stretching is SO important.

Yes, Tony does have a shorter yoga, the Fountain of Youth from his One on Ones. It's about 45 min long. That's my kind of yoga! :bigsmile:
  • sandy429
    Options
    Here's what Tony has to say about yoga in response to the question:

Can I skip out on yoga and substitute CardioX or Plyo?

My short answer is NO! No you can't skip out on yoga and substitute CardioX or Plyo. These are not substitutes for yoga. They are completely different than yoga. Yoga's effect on your body is 180º from standard cardiovascular training and jump training. Each one of these routines feeds off the other. The crazy mix of routines creates the variety the body needs for real change and overall conditioning. The whole point to P90X is to work on your strengths and weaknesses. The fact that yoga is a pain in your butt right now is the reason why it will change your fitness, aid in your weight loss, make you less vulnerable to injury, and improve the effectiveness of all the other workouts.

Don't feel bad, because most people dislike yoga at first. It's the anti-American workout. No punching and kicking. No jumping, or running, or lifting, or dancing. It's slow and quiet and requires time and patience. It's the other side of a (complete fitness) two-sided coin. It's the yin to the yang. It's the tortoise not the hare. It forces you to look inward and not outward and/or all over the place for a change. It's balance, strength, coordination, and flexibility all wrapped in one, and sometimes all at the same time. It will and has messed with your mind like no other workout can. It's perfect! When you can turn this foe into a friend, then and only then will you be able to understand it and appreciate its purpose.

Does this mean you need to continue to suffer the way you have? No. You conquer (tame or understand) yoga by modifying it like any and all other routines that are difficult. If you don't want to do the whole 90 minutes then don't. Use your remote to help you decide which 60 minutes you feel like doing. Keep a secondary timer close by to keep track of the full hour. You also have to change the way you feel about the experience. Stop caring that you're not good at it and start understanding that the "struggle" is where the action is. The Struggle is how your mind and body change for the better. The Struggle is why you're doing P90X. The Struggle is the magic that separates the old you from the new you. Struggle but don't give up. The other short answer is... Do Your Best And Forget The Rest!
  • sandy429
    Options
    I also like this response regarding YogaX:

"In the Yoga world training is called practice. Noone masters Yoga. I think where most people fail is that they think they have to do it perfectly.You do realize that you arent supposed to push really hard doing yoga? You should be surfing right along the edge of discomfort. Yoga isnt about agenda or judging. It is the ultimate do your best and forget the rest. If you need to bend the knee bend it. If you need to relax the neck instead of looking up do it. Yoga is about listening to your body not the little voice in your head. One day you may feel more relaxed and flexible and go deeper in a posture. The next time maybe you are more tight and stressed and cant do as much. Yoga helps show us where we are mentally physically and spiritually every time we practice it.Dont take it so serious. Enjoy it do what you can and you will really reap the benefit."
  • tracy24
    Options
    ok i will give yoga another shot! i will just suck it up and get it done! :flowerforyou: :sad:
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Options
    I think I have a crazy pedometer

The crazy thing said last night during PyloX , that I burned 94 kcal .... I looked up the conversion and it is like 1 kcal = 1000 calories . .. . looks like I have a bad piece of equiptment :-(
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    My (cheap, but usually pretty accurate as far as pulse rate) HRM said I burned around 800 when I did Plyox. I know a person burns a lot, but I don't think that much. I think it may be closer to the 600 calorie range, but that is just a guess (of course depending on weight, fitness level...) it does burn a lot though and you will continue to burn for quite some time after you are done with the exercise.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think I have a crazy pedometer

The crazy thing said last night during PyloX , that I burned 94 kcal .... I looked up the conversion and it is like 1 kcal = 1000 calories . .. . looks like I have a bad piece of equiptment :-(

The "calories" that we talk about are kcals!!! My thought was ONLY 94 cals during plyo?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My (cheap, but usually pretty accurate as far as pulse rate) HRM said I burned around 800 when I did Plyox. I know a person burns a lot, but I don't think that much. I think it may be closer to the 600 calorie range, but that is just a guess (of course depending on weight, fitness level...) it does burn a lot though and you will continue to burn for quite some time after you are done with the exercise.

Yeah, I think 600 cals is a safe number to guess for Plyo. I haven't done it since I got my new HRM, but might have to try it out soon and see... :bigsmile:
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Options
    thats what I am saying. I was sweating my head off. The thing was in my pocket so the reading my not have been accurate. I think I am going to look at getting on for the wrist.
  • danielle1009
    danielle1009 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of that motivation on the yoga. I didn't like it at first, but I keep pushing through it because I believe that it will yield some benefits that I won't get from plyo, kenpo, or the weight training. After doing it 4 times now, I already notice my flexibility increasing and the postures getting easier. Sometimes the 1.5 hrs even feels quick!!!

As far as calories burned during plyo---I've used my HRM each time I've done it...I usually burn in the high 500, low 600 --- depends on the intensity I have throughout and how many times I need to stop for a breather!