Biting my tongue at seeing overweight children

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    And I do watch the Maury Show with those overweight children. And what did they do? They offered those women education and help from a counselor, not call CPS and snatch those children away. :grumble:
    Do they throw in any free paternity testing too? :laugh:
    1728animated_gif_not_the_father.gif
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result.
    The US needs this, hardcore.

Because ripping a child from their parents, lives, family, friends, animals, comfort of their own bed...IS EXACTLY what the child needs to get thin/healthy. -eyeroll-

Someone give me an AMEN :)
    Why is the first thing people say is TAKE THE KIDS AWAY! It's not the solution and in fact it makes it worse.

I am totally with you guys...Many moons ago I worked for social services and unless you have worked in that field I think it is hard to understand how the process works. When you are loaded with cases that you are barely making it through and then the government starts pushing that parents who have over weight children are not fit to be parents and it gets out in the media sadly theses case can get pushed to the top of the heap because it's whats being cracked down on.

Also personally their is a fine line for me about what I want the government involved in in my personal life. They end up making a general rule of thumb for everyone and because they can not go through everything on an individual basis sometimes a perfectly fit parents loose their children. This can happen in suspected abuse cases too unfortunately
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result.

I think that should be a last resort. First the family should be put in nutrition education classes and counseling for what is probably food addiction. Only if the parents fail to cooperate should further action be taken. Removal of a child from the home should be only in extreme cases.

Agreed.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Seriously...if Im in Target..and my 6 yr old who is 43lbs wants a donut and it keeps him from screaming for the hour Im in the store...by God..hes getting a stinking donut! lol

LOL!!! I have a 2 year old so I totally get that!

Some parents remove their children from such situations immediately rather than allowing them to learn that temper tantrums in public will get them what they want.

some children blah blah blah.. yeah you try taking a 2 year old to the post office while you wait in line to mail a package and they continue to run for the door and want to play... they scream and holler and throw fits do you lose your place in line to leave and mail the package later or do you take the sucker that the post office employee offers to calm him down?? hmmm, I take the sucker and it usually it works so the hell with you saying you can immediately leave when it comes to temper tantrums and let's see how it works out for you

\My 3 year is better educated then that.
    He dont throw tantrums in public places and he listens to me when I explain to him that he needs to settle down and he can have something healthier when we get home.
    Its all in how we raise and educate our children in how its appropriate to behave.
    If you wanna let your children walk all over you, thats your problem.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    We shoud also prevent ugly people, or hell anyone who isn't "hot" from reproducing as well. Those poor kids. Think of them.

Think of the children.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I like how judgey people can be since a good number of the people on this site have or had weight issues themselves.
    If you need to bite your tounge when you see an overweight child maybe you should bite a little harder to not be such a judgemental ****
    next time.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    wow, im that blunt all the time, and i dont drink. And sure, there are kids with odd dietary needs, but no diet calls for 3lbs of mac and cheese, buttered popcorn, brownies, and a milkshake in one sitting, especially for an 8 year old. And the op does not need therapy for getting squicked out. Im disgusted by overweight people eating junk food in much the same way i get disgusted seeing people smoke or take handfulls of vicodin. It's detrimental to their health and i dont particularly enjoy watching people kill themselves. However, i have the option of simply turning my head and not staring, which is the option i pick. Overweight children under about ten years old bother me, because that is simply the parent's food choices. No 5 year old can buy their own double whopper and fries.

Exactly!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    so..our local walmart used to have a mcdonalds..they took it out and put in a Subway. Who said Walmart was dumb?? *looking around*

Oh yes..I am the BAD mother for giving my child a Krispy Kreme. Sure..ok.

It's cool, I'm the bad one for giving my kid Pizza... we're in the same boat.
    \

Sweet. my KIDS love pizza..lol
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    . No 5 year old can buy their own double whopper and fries.

I beg to differ. My 4.5 year old can get the money out of my purse, walk up to the counter, and order his own food.... just sayin'.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's not that my mind has changed, it's that I agreed that we need SOMETHING that tells parents of obese children that what they're doing is not okay. People are putting words in my mouth so fast I can't even read them all.
    Nobody is putting words in your mouth. After this...
    ...many of us raised questions about the opinion you stated.
    I understand that. However, I've also stated multiple times that I'm talking extreme cases. I've also stated that I think the parents should have time to try to get their child in a healthier state before the government steps in. People overlook the majority of what I say and just focus on what they don't want to hear.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that the sight of fat people makes you sick to your stomach. The sight of uneducated mouth breathers having children also disgusts me.

Thank you for motivating me to write my congressman to pass a law taking away the children of mouth breathing cretins. Those poor children. Being raised to be intellectually devoid and emotionally raised to be cruel and vapid individuals...

O.o

You use the word "vapid" rather often. Was it on your Webster's word of the day calendar or something?
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love it when my son walks all over me...especially my back after using the bow flex :)
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    :noway: How DARE overweight people go out in public! I'm so sorry you had to look at that :sad:

Uhh thats not at all what she said...Don't get all crazy & off topic. I agree with the original poster.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that the sight of fat people makes you sick to your stomach. The sight of uneducated mouth breathers having children also disgusts me.

Thank you for motivating me to write my congressman to pass a law taking away the children of mouth breathing cretins. Those poor children. Being raised to be intellectually devoid and emotionally raised to be cruel and vapid individuals...

O.o

You use the word "vapid" rather often. Was it on your Webster's word of the day calendar or something?

Hmm. Where else did I use the word "vapid"?
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Let me tell ya something... LOL! I'd have had the same thoughts! Don't feel bad. Everybody judges everybody. I'm sure big people judge fit people all the time.... "...look at her, she thinks she's all that because she can wear a size 0, pshhhhhhh, she ain't got nothing on my lovely lady LUMPS!"

It is a SHAME that parents teach their kids to NOT have self control. That kid probably sensed your "disapproval" and made that face because she's been taught, "Eat up, honey! The more the better! Nevermind if you develop juvenile diabetes or are teased by kids, because you can squash them!"

**IF anybody is offended by what I say, that's too bad. I would think most of us MFP's are ALL for children's health.
    I second this.

AGREE great response!
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    First off bribing your child to be good by stuffing a donut in their face is NOT the way to get them to be good. I know, I'm not a parent so I don't truly understand what it is like to have a screamin 2 year old in the grocery store when I'm running on 3 hours of sleep BUT I still don't think it's right for parents to bribe their children with food to be good. That is not a good way to raise them because then they'll learn that every time they throw a tantrum they will get what they want. They need to learn they are not the boss and they do as mama/papa says.

my child is 2. she throws lots of tantrums. for the most part, i just let her, but when i'm in the store and its been a long day and i just need to get out of there, i bust out the cheerios or fruit snacks to keep her busy so i can get out of there. all i said was i understand how the person who gives her kid a doughnut feels. not that i give my kids cake all the time to make them behave. it's easy to think how you would react if you have kids and totally another story when you actually do. props to anyone who never gives their child a snack or toy to stop a screaming fit. It dosn't happen a lot, but it happens. No one is perfect, not even parents
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I know a 2yo that's tall, kind of husky and he can ride a bicycle without training wheels. YUP he's 2 and he looks 5...and acts 5. Should he be taken from his mother because he's husky? His mom nor his dad are big people...she doesn't over feed him, she doesn't feed him like ****. He's just a big boy (husky and tall).

You NEVER know the story of a child or family dynamic/income when you see them out. You may 100% judge this child thinking his mother is over feeding, he isn't active, and she's a bad mom but you'd be 100% WRONG.

Do you know a 2 year old that rides a bike with no training wheels?

I also know a 6yo girl who's VERY thin, active and her mother feeds her like *kitten*. Just because she's thin doesn't mean she's healthy.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I understand that. However, I've also stated multiple times that I'm talking extreme cases. I've also stated that I think the parents should have time to try to get their child in a healthier state before the government steps in. People overlook the majority of what I say and just focus on what they don't want to hear.
    I only questioned where the line is drawn. You say "extreme", but that is pretty vague. I prefer not to give that kind of "vague" authority to the gov't.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Seriously...if Im in Target..and my 6 yr old who is 43lbs wants a donut and it keeps him from screaming for the hour Im in the store...by God..hes getting a stinking donut! lol

LOL!!! I have a 2 year old so I totally get that!

Some parents remove their children from such situations immediately rather than allowing them to learn that temper tantrums in public will get them what they want.

some children blah blah blah.. yeah you try taking a 2 year old to the post office while you wait in line to mail a package and they continue to run for the door and want to play... they scream and holler and throw fits do you lose your place in line to leave and mail the package later or do you take the sucker that the post office employee offers to calm him down?? hmmm, I take the sucker and it usually it works so the hell with you saying you can immediately leave when it comes to temper tantrums and let's see how it works out for you

\My 3 year is better educated then that.
    He dont throw tantrums in public places and he listens to me when I explain to him that he needs to settle down and he can have something healthier when we get home.
    Its all in how we raise and educate our children in how its appropriate to behave.
    If you wanna let your children walk all over you, thats your problem.

You obviously do not have a child with ADHD. Children are different. My two children are polar oposites of eachother. My dauther is calm, cool, collected. At 18 months old I knew I could take her to a funeral and her not tip the casket over. My son... well lets just say he's the demon child from hell who would not only have tipped the casket over but jumped into it and pretended it was a truck. You pick your battles, dude.
This discussion has been closed.