Biting my tongue at seeing overweight children

Options
I am a very blunt, forward person. Get a few drinks in me and I'm like a truth machine. It's both a curse and a good thing.

So the other night, a few of us went to our local cafe after hours where they were showing christmas movies. We had a few drinks, enjoyed some cafe treats, and cozied in for the politically incorrect Rudolph.

Looking to my left though, I noticed two extremely, and I mean extremely overweight girls dressed in tight multicolored dresses, the buttons on the blouses gapped and barely holding. They couldn't have been any older then 8 or 9. Mom had gotten them the cafe's baked mac and cheese, both their own, with the chowder to dip it into, and chocolate brownies for desert. The cafe also served free popcorn in which I was behind one of the girls in line, as she scooped up and filled her bowl, stopped, realizing she could fit more in, and piled it higher. I swear she snorted at me as she turned to walk back to her seat.

I felt sick. Nauseous. I couldn't even get my handful of popcorn. I wanted to eject the dinner I had and the cookies I had eaten. I wanted to say something to the mother. I was sitting next to them the whole time. Listening to them eat. Watching. It was like a horrible movie montage. As the one girl finished her mac and cheese, her smaller brother had half of his left, and so she finished his for him.

I saw the beginning of a long journey of self-esteem issues and hurt as they get older and realize how much their size is going to effect them.

I also hated myself for thinking the thoughts I had. What right do I have to judge them?

Replies

• CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

What right do I have to judge them?

Absolutely none. Also, if seeing other people eat makes you want to toss up your cookies, you may want to enlist the help of a counselor. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    I'm with Cris--you may want to see a counselor. I can understand concern, and maybe a fleeting thought about the well-being of the person(s) in question, but it's not healthy for you to dwell on it long enough to have an actual reaction to it.

"I also hated myself for thinking the thoughts I had. What right do I have to judge them?"
    Can't help what we think. It's a knee-jerk reaction to have a judgement pop into our head instantly. It's how much energy you invest in the thought and how much you actually go out of your way to make your judgement known that matters.

Hopefully, someone will offer help if those children express a need for it. Hopefully, the same to the parents--but it's not in your court, it's not your game to play.

Best to let it go and focus on your own health.
  • Speedtrap
    Options
    You have to be careful.
    You do not know their situation and you are judging them on their appearances.

I once had a parent let go on me for letting my daughter eat Mcdonalds cheese burger and french fries. Her words were "If you keep feeding your kid this crap she will be a fat kid and everyone will tease her. Why don't you feed her something with less salt and fat?"

Well the beating that almost followed would have been epic. I instead chose to keep my mouth shut and just ask her to leave with her unsolicited information. My Daughter has cystic fibrosis and needs to eat an extremely high fat and salt diet.

Unless you know what the situation is, just move along and focus on you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful.

I once had a parent let go on me for letting my daughter eat Mcdonalds cheese burger and french fries. Her words were "If you keep feeding your kid this crap she will be a fat kid and everyone will tease her. Why don't you feed her something with less salt and fat?"

Well the beating that almost followed would have been epic. I instead chose to keep my mouth shut and just ask her to leave with her unsolicited information. My Daughter has cystic fibrosis and needs to eat an extremely high fat and salt diet.

^ Great post.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a chunky kid, and if you ever approached me and told me he was fat, I'd kick you right in the pee flaps. He isn't chunky because I feed him terribly, he's chunky because he's going to be huge! His dad is 6'6 with a 52" shoulder spance. My son will grow into his body, hopefully you'll grow out of your prejudice. My son plays football, is in the running club, does karate, and is outside more than he's in the house...I feed him nothing but clean meals and the occasional treat. Unless you know the background of the child, how dare you sit in judgement!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful.

:drinker: brilliant, from one dad to another. keep it up, and good job not beating the lady up.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Well the beating that almost followed would have been epic.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Look, letting your kids go crazy at the buffet is a bad idea if they're already overweight, OP. No one is seriously going to argue that. Not when the kids are that age. They still need guidance. But there is such a thing as taking it too far, as my dear mother, who kept the sweets literally under lock and key, found out. We were skinny little kids, all right, but every single one of us to some extent or another struggles with our weight now.

You never know, those kids might hit their teenage years, realize that it's no fun to be fat, and find healthy ways to lose weight and keep it off on their own. Me, I discovered diet pills and the crash diet when I was a teenager and used that to repair the damage I did to myself when I finally had the ability to eat what I wanted, as much as I wanted. And the diets and pills caused at least as much damage as the binge eating that ensued once I was off the leash.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    What right do I have to judge them?
    None.

Saying something will change nothing, and only make you and the other person upset. Lose-lose proposition.

Move on, and deal with those things that you can control in your life.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful.

But really, even if she didn't have cystic fibrosis, it was none of that person's business. Feeding a kid a cheeseburger and fries now and then is not going to hurt them.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who doesnt have kids Im guessing. Try telling my 6 and 12 yr old that they can only eat tofu and fish when their friends are having pizza and popcorn. riiiiggght.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am a very blunt, forward person. Get a few drinks in me and I'm like a truth machine. It's both a curse and a good thing.

So the other night, a few of us went to our local cafe after hours where they were showing christmas movies. We had a few drinks, enjoyed some cafe treats, and cozied in for the politically incorrect Rudolph.

Looking to my left though, I noticed two extremely, and I mean extremely overweight girls dressed in tight multicolored dresses, the buttons on the blouses gapped and barely holding. They couldn't have been any older then 8 or 9. Mom had gotten them the cafe's baked mac and cheese, both their own, with the chowder to dip it into, and chocolate brownies for desert. The cafe also served free popcorn in which I was behind one of the girls in line, as she scooped up and filled her bowl, stopped, realizing she could fit more in, and piled it higher. I swear she snorted at me as she turned to walk back to her seat.

I felt sick. Nauseous. I couldn't even get my handful of popcorn. I wanted to eject the dinner I had and the cookies I had eaten. I wanted to say something to the mother. I was sitting next to them the whole time. Listening to them eat. Watching. It was like a horrible movie montage. As the one girl finished her mac and cheese, her smaller brother had half of his left, and so she finished his for him.

I saw the beginning of a long journey of self-esteem issues and hurt as they get older and realize how much their size is going to effect them.

I also hated myself for thinking the thoughts I had. What right do I have to judge them?

Yes. I believe you are right to judge. You didn't say anything to anyone so you didn't offend anyone that would cause a scene. People who allow their kids to eat like **** and be fat deserve to be harshly judged. Parents are making their kids fat! Might as well give your 8 year old a loaded gun to play with while they devour their mcnuggets, frosty, fries and brownies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So sad!! While your reaction seems a little extreeme, If you are in the US then your tax $ will likely be paying for the diseases they contract from such an unhealthy diet and lifestyle so you have some right to complain. Being obese is as dangerous as smoking. If you saw smoking parents giving their children cigarettes everyone would say you have the right to complain.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yes. I believe you are right to judge. You didn't say anything to anyone so you didn't offend anyone that would cause a scene. People who allow their kids to eat like **** and be fat deserve to be harshly judged. Parents are making their kids fat!
    True. Everyone has the right to judge, and even express themselves. What do you imagine would be gained by criticizing the kids' mother?
    Might as well give your 8 year old a loaded gun to play with while they devour their mcnuggets, frosty, fries and brownies.
    Really? A loaded gun? Did you never eat any of those things as a kid?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Yes. I believe you are right to judge. You didn't say anything to anyone so you didn't offend anyone that would cause a scene. People who allow their kids to eat like **** and be fat deserve to be harshly judged. Parents are making their kids fat! Might as well give your 8 year old a loaded gun to play with while they devour their mcnuggets, frosty, fries and brownies.
    Let me guess, you have no kids, right?
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think we tend to sometimes see children who are overweight and have intense reactions because we (generalization) know what it's like to be an overweight kid. Childhoood obesity is a real problem in our society and it seems that the description of these children is different from the the situation described of the child with cs and the son who is just chunky. But, the reactions to these children probably has more to do with you then them. Yes, it's sad that they could develop self-esteem issues, but maybe they won't.

I was an overweight kid and frankly, it sucked. One of the reasons it sucked was because I was constantly overhearing concerned aunts "discussing" my weight with my mother (who, unfortunetly, is not the type to kick anyone in the "pee flaps"). There was nothing constructive in these discussions, just their observations that I was fat, nor did my mother ask for their opinions.

So, to the OP. I don't agree that you need counselling. Your reaction was just that, your reaction. I think that you were reacting to something that is still a personal issue for you and it sounds like you had concern over their potentially long road ahead. I would say that sometimes these reactions are part of the problem that causes children to have self-esteem issues and cycle the behaviour.

I've always had weight issues, but hearing the things my aunts said, their reactions to my clothing size, and their monitoring of my food gave me self-esteem issues and I resented them for that.

Armchair pshchology rant over.

M
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    So sad!! While your reaction seems a little extreeme, If you are in the US then your tax $ will likely be paying for the diseases they contract from such an unhealthy diet and lifestyle so you have some right to complain.
    The complaint should be with the gov't taking the money and using it to pay for folks' poor decisions, not the individual.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who doesnt have kids Im guessing. Try telling my 6 and 12 yr old that they can only eat tofu and fish when their friends are having pizza and popcorn. riiiiggght.

Not really on point it does illustrate the other extreme.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid. I kind of wish my parent taught me apples over junk food. I would never say anything to anyone's face about their kids, but I sure as hell will never let mine ever feel like I did growing up. kids are super mean to fat kids, at least was my experience...
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I have issue with this too. There are some kids that are just round and dirty. Especially down here in the south. When I see them, I DO get angry with the parent. I feel like it is a form of neglect to let a child get grossly overweight. Yes, sometimes there are physical reasons that they are bigger. And yes, some of it is genetic. But not all or even most of them. I also have to bite my tongue when I see some kid that looks stroke ready at 7 shoving a bag of chips in their face while holding a soda. I would never say anything to them as its not my business, but, yes, it angers me greatly.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't blame my parents though. Some parents only know how to fix booboos with food.
This discussion has been closed.