Biting my tongue at seeing overweight children

Options

Replies

• revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result. Not sure if saying anything to a stranger without knowing all the facts is a good idea. You have to have the right to say things like that. You have the right by being a friend or relative of someone. If I see someone I know and care about (or their kids) making poor lifestyle choices - including over indulgence - I will speak my mind. At the end of the day obesity is every much a health risk as smoking/drinking/drug abuse etc etc.

rant over.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful.
    You do not know their situation and you are judging them on their appearances.

I once had a parent let go on me for letting my daughter eat Mcdonalds cheese burger and french fries. Her words were "If you keep feeding your kid this crap she will be a fat kid and everyone will tease her. Why don't you feed her something with less salt and fat?"

Well the beating that almost followed would have been epic. I instead chose to keep my mouth shut and just ask her to leave with her unsolicited information. My Daughter has cystic fibrosis and needs to eat an extremely high fat and salt diet.

Unless you know what the situation is, just move along and focus on you.
    :smile:
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Seriously...if Im in Target..and my 6 yr old who is 43lbs wants a donut and it keeps him from screaming for the hour Im in the store...by God..hes getting a stinking donut! lol

I am the exact opposite... either of my boys start going nuts for something NO CHANCE they get it. No matter what it is!

I love you for this. I feel like the problem with parents these days is that they just give in for their own convenience. Kids never learn when all you do is reward them for bad behavior. But, to each is own I guess.

Have you ever taken a 2 year old to the grocery store???? Let alone two 2 year olds when it's close to their nap time and you are running on 5 hours of sleep and have to finish grocery shopping, run to the bank, make your kids lunch and have about 3 loads of laundry to fold and you don't know what to make for dinner?

I have. Well, one was 2 and one was 3, but other than that I have. And they certainly would not have been rewarded for throwing a tantrum.

Amen
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Seriously...if Im in Target..and my 6 yr old who is 43lbs wants a donut and it keeps him from screaming for the hour Im in the store...by God..hes getting a stinking donut! lol

I am the exact opposite... either of my boys start going nuts for something NO CHANCE they get it. No matter what it is!

I love you for this. I feel like the problem with parents these days is that they just give in for their own convenience. Kids never learn when all you do is reward them for bad behavior. But, to each is own I guess.

Have you ever taken a 2 year old to the grocery store???? Let alone two 2 year olds when it's close to their nap time and you are running on 5 hours of sleep and have to finish grocery shopping, run to the bank, make your kids lunch and have about 3 loads of laundry to fold and you don't know what to make for dinner?

I have. Well, one was 2 and one was 3, but other than that I have. And they certainly would not have been rewarded for throwing a tantrum.

I agree. I just don't go to the store/bank/whatever when it's close to naptime. I'd rather plan ahead or wait until after naptime than reward for a tantrum.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I don't have kids- Hell i'm only 19, but your post really bothered me. The fact that you kept watching these kids eat is disturbing. Maybe you should have moved to another section of the cafe. It's their family, not yours, so you shouldn't be so bothered by it. They're 8 years old. They don't need to be worrying about being on a diet, let them be kids and when they're a little older, they will have the choice to lose the weight if they wish.

My only concern with this post is, if they do not have good health instilled in the now, there might be a point of past return. These kids, will grow into teens, and high school is not an easy place to be when you are overweight. When they are older, and overweight, its not so easy to just lose the weight, especially if they are obese....As much as I try to see both sides of the story, 60% of American are overweight. I do not believe that 60% of people have some medical condition that causes them to be overweight. You also have to look at the parents. If they are fat, I really can't see how a whole family can have conditions that make them obese. And anyway, if obese people have medical conditions that cause them to gain weight, wouldn't they want to improve their health by NOT eating high fat foods and junk that will just add to the problem. I really don't see why people always defend fat people. They choose to live the way they do, and if they don't care about their health than that is their prerogative. But I would hope as parents, that they want to see their kid have a good life and care about their health.

good point!
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result.
    The US needs this, hardcore.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I DO have a child. She is 6 years old and is very healthy. she will get a little belly and then grow like 2 inches and be average again. I have been on my journey her whole life, so she eats very healthful foods. Sure, I take her to McDonalds every now and then. I do not qualify it as a treat though. I dont tell her that it is "special food". I apologize to her for not having the time that evening for making a real dinner, or I tell her that I want to eat in a resteraunt, and she can pick. Sure, sometimes she pics McDonalds (depends on the toy selection), but more often than not, she picks subway (she loves the turkey breast on honey grain), or wants to get fruit and salad and eat at the park. Her whole life, I have made sure to not ever make a face about a veggie that I didnt like. I will not force her to clean her plate, but I do make her eat at least 3 bites of anything. The only things that she doesnt eat are corn and stuffing. And I can not be upset about that. She doesnt like juice, loves water, equates doughnuts with the time that her father let her eat as many as she wanted and she got sick, so she doesnt like a lot of sweets. She picks her own after school snack every day, You know what the grocery store pick for this week was? Jello with cool whip and a string cheese. My goal was to teach her to make her own good choices by having that be what she sees in our home. I was the fat kid that got picked on. That is why I have the reaction that I do have. I know how much it sucks to be different and not understand why you are that way. I do what I can to make sure that I am not too extreme in either direction and LOVE the fact that she picks out good stuff on her own! Because of ME, THE RESPONSIBLE PARENT, my child asks for seconds of broccoli, and is happy and healthy.
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result.

Pretty sure I read a news story a few weeks ago about a kid being taking away by CPS in the states because he was morbidy obese.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

LOL!!! I have a 2 year old so I totally get that!

I have a 3 year old and I wouldnt just hand him over a donut.
    I would encourage something else healthier until he chose something else.
    Parents just handing over what children want are why they are unhealthy.
    Your the parent, they are the child. Use some guidance.

Scenario...youre already in the check out line. Your kids scremaing..hes tired..youve drug him thru the store for 2 hrs while you try on clothes..and you forgot his legos and fave blankie at home...(bad mommy) Pay the price! lol choices are a kitkat..or a donut. DONUT! score! Wait...damn..its the white powdered one...think fast..its another one of those "white" foods.

?
  • kschhr
    Options
    I DO have a child. She is 6 years old and is very healthy. she will get a little belly and then grow like 2 inches and be average again. I have been on my journey her whole life, so she eats very healthful foods. Sure, I take her to McDonalds every now and then. I do not qualify it as a treat though. I dont tell her that it is "special food". I apologize to her for not having the time that evening for making a real dinner, or I tell her that I want to eat in a resteraunt, and she can pick. Sure, sometimes she pics McDonalds (depends on the toy selection), but more often than not, she picks subway (she loves the turkey breast on honey grain), or wants to get fruit and salad and eat at the park. Her whole life, I have made sure to not ever make a face about a veggie that I didnt like. I will not force her to clean her plate, but I do make her eat at least 3 bites of anything. The only things that she doesnt eat are corn and stuffing. And I can not be upset about that. She doesnt like juice, loves water, equates doughnuts with the time that her father let her eat as many as she wanted and she got sick, so she doesnt like a lot of sweets. She picks her own after school snack every day, You know what the grocery store pick for this week was? Jello with cool whip and a string cheese. My goal was to teach her to make her own good choices by having that be what she sees in our home. I was the fat kid that got picked on. That is why I have the reaction that I do have. I know how much it sucks to be different and not understand why you are that way. I do what I can to make sure that I am not too extreme in either direction and LOVE the fact that she picks out good stuff on her own! Because of ME, THE RESPONSIBLE PARENT, my child asks for seconds of broccoli, and is happy and healthy.

I'm just going to quote this because I think everyone needs to be like this.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Really? The slope gets awfully slippery here, folks. Where is the line drawn? Spooky stuff, folks. Spooky.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    all i can say, is how relieved i am that no one found my post offensive in any way. lol
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I like that you posted this. I wish to be this kind of parent when I have kids.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Scenario...youre already in the check out line. Your kids scremaing..hes tired..youve drug him thru the store for 2 hrs while you try on clothes..and you forgot his legos and fave blankie at home...(bad mommy) Pay the price! lol choices are a kitkat..or a donut. DONUT! score! Wait...damn..its the white powdered one...think fast..its another one of those "white" foods.

?

No. You let him know that you'll be leaving in just a minute. He won't understand, but you explain it anyway. You keep your cool, you pay for your things, you go home and snuggle and make up. You don't reward the tantrum. Part of being a parent is NOT giving into every tantrum, even when you're the one who caused it. You leave the house armed with snacks if you need to, and if the child is hungry and you forgot snacks, you buy something healthy instead of the donut.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

?

Im sorry bu the would get neither.
    My son isnt gna be given sugar just to get his way.
    Im the parent and hes the child.
    He will learn to behave.
    Plain and simple.
    A tantrum isnt how you get something you want.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree, seeing other people gorge themselves makes me feel queasy, one reason I will never watch food eating competitions-- yuck, yuck, yuck! But then again, I find it hard to sit at a table with someone chewing with their mouth open. *gag*

There is probably no way you could've phrased the advice, no matter how politely or well-meaning, that the mother would have accepted. Unfortunately in this country it is completely okay to go up to someone who's smoking and say "that's going to kill you" but as soon as you say the same about someone's weight or eating habits its taken as an attack or insult. Had you said anything the mother would gone all Mama-bear on your *kitten* and... well... that would be that.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Really? The slope gets awfully slippery here, folks. Where is the line drawn? Spooky stuff, folks. Spooky.

My thoughts exactly.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I work for social services. I agree..slippery slope. The kid that has marks on his body? sure..he can stay with his parents cause his BMI is normal. That kid there? the one loved, read to, bathed every night..but is obese. Take Them Right AWAY! Be smart people.
  • kschhr
    Options
    Yes, really. If a child is on the verge of diabetes as a result of what the parents are feeding them, you don't think that's child abuse? That those parents are obviously not fit to raise children? Once the kid turns 18 they can do as they please. But while they're still young, still learning, still molding, parents need to teach their children good habits, not ones that will possibly kill them. Disorders that affect weight don't make people obese, just overweight.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options

Amen
    i think you are being pretty judgmental. you are judging people by just a few words they wrote. yes, if giving my kid something to get me through whatever it is i'm trying to do, i sometmes do it. its not all the time, and she's not a monster or a brat and she listend very good when she is asked to do something. i'm not being abusive or harming her. maybe its not ideal, but this is life. its no one is perfect, including parents. we do the best we can!
This discussion has been closed.