Biting my tongue at seeing overweight children

Options

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result.
    The US needs this, hardcore.

:mad: You do not have kids, but you would take away someone's child and put them in the system for being overweight??? Oh dear, have a baby and tell me that you would want this to be able to happen...EVER. :mad:
    For being OBESE, yes. I would recommend a system where other healthy relatives could offer to take the child in. Just because I don't have children doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I would NEVER let my children get to that point. I have been an obese child, and it sucked. I would never put my children through that and if I did then I don't deserve to raise this child because I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Taking a child from an otherwise happy home is never the answer. education for the parents - education for the kids - that's the answer. Show them how to eat right. We do not live in a totalitarian society here (though it seems that way sometimes). Whether you like it or not, people have rights. You may wish to take those children out of their homes, but will you take them in?

100% AGREED.

Well said.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Eeeeekie is a smart...cookie :)
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I saw the beginning of a long journey of self-esteem issues and hurt as they get older and realize how much their size is going to effect them.

I also hated myself for thinking the thoughts I had. What right do I have to judge them?

So sad!! While your reaction seems a little extreeme, If you are in the US then your tax $ will likely be paying for the diseases they contract from such an unhealthy diet and lifestyle so you have some right to complain. Being obese is as dangerous as smoking. If you saw smoking parents giving their children cigarettes everyone would say you have the right to complain.

Actually, healthy people cost us more taxes in the long term. Obese people die early and so they cost us less than the healthy person that lives to be a hundred. When you live a long time, our taxes are supporting you with social security and medicare, or whatever you get when you turn 65, for decades! They did some study on this... So, obese people are costing us less taxes. Anyway, I still advocate being healthy.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm pretty sure allowing your kids to get obese counts as child abuse and people have had their kids taken away as a result.

:mad: You do not have kids, but you would take away someone's child and put them in the system for being overweight??? Oh dear, have a baby and tell me that you would want this to be able to happen...EVER. :mad:
    For being OBESE, yes. I would recommend a system where other healthy relatives could offer to take the child in. Just because I don't have children doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I would NEVER let my children get to that point. I have been an obese child, and it sucked. I would never put my children through that and if I did then I don't deserve to raise this child because I'm obviously doing something wrong.
    It's extremely easy to act like you would be the ideal parent and do the most ideal things, when you have never done it yourself. No, having no children doesn't make you an idiot...but it means you have ZERO point of reference on the subject and are only speaking how you *think* you might act. Trust me, reality differs from your parenting ideals. Let's hope you don't have an obese child in the future.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were really female midgets on TOM

In really small clothes.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Taking a child from an otherwise happy home is never the answer. education for the parents - education for the kids - that's the answer. Show them how to eat right. We do not live in a totalitarian society here (though it seems that way sometimes). Whether you like it or not, people have rights. You may wish to take those children out of their homes, but will you take them in?
    BINGO!
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Really? The slope gets awfully slippery here, folks. Where is the line drawn? Spooky stuff, folks. Spooky.
    Yes, really. If a child is on the verge of diabetes as a result of what the parents are feeding them, you don't think that's child abuse? That those parents are obviously not fit to raise children? Once the kid turns 18 they can do as they please. But while they're still young, still learning, still molding, parents need to teach their children good habits, not ones that will possibly kill them. Disorders that affect weight don't make people obese, just overweight.
    Where is the line drawn, though? A specific BMI number? A blood sugar number? What if it's shared custody, and the other parent is to blame? What if other medical conditions are to blame? Where do you propose sending these kids?

Would this be better for their quality of life -- being in foster care than being with their parent that might be making poor nutritional choices, but loves their kid dearly?
    Obviously I'm not sitting down drawing out a proposal to the feds, or else I would have answers for you. In short, I feel like something needs to be put in place to regulate this. It's not okay that people can kill their kids with food. Honestly, at a very young age (say 10 and under) maybe BMI is a good way to go about it. No child is going to have enough muscle on them to make the BMI scale so inaccurate that it would say a child is obese if they weren't. Or maybe when they hit that morbid obesity, give the parents a year to get the child to a healthy weight (time probably would change depending on how overweight the child is). I'm not trying to bully parents, just trying to say that it is abuse to feed them in such ways.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • katcod1522
    Options

It's extremely easy to act like you would be the ideal parent and do the most ideal things, when you have never done it yourself. No, having no children doesn't make you an idiot...but it means you have ZERO point of reference on the subject and are only speaking how you *think* you might act. Trust me, reality differs from your parenting ideals. Let's hope you don't have an obese child in the future.

cha-ching!
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of having judgemental thoughts as well, when I see young children overweight and shoveling in processed dead food into their bodies like there is no tomorrow. I would NEVER in a million years say a word to the parents. I think it is right that we need to educate more than sit in judgement. If given the opportunity I would love to share some yummy alternatives for them to munch on.

I think a huge problem though and I see it over and over in the posts is using BAD food as a reward, or a "treat" I think this sends the wrong message. Is it really a "treat" to have food that robs your body of nutrients, or can cause huge spikes in blood sugar? I am not one to say that there will never be a time to eat those things, but I think teaching kids from the beginning that they don't WANT to put those things into their bodies is important. Not just to tell them No its bad, but why and what it does. For example drinking soda takes all the calcium from your bones and won't help you grow big and strong, and it will be easier for you to break a bone. That isn't fun right?

I hope that as we grow and seeing so many people on MFP becoming more educated about health and nutrition that the future generations will become more educated as well. All I can do is lead by example, and slowly people want to know what I am doing...and ask for help to get their kids to eat better too. I was requested to bring green smoothies to Christmas Dinner...imagine that?!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were really female midgets on TOM

In really small clothes.

And they had just escaped the circus where they were not allowed carbs
  • katcod1522
    Options
    :drinker:

or anything white...lol
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    If you do feel like you need to do something, become an advocate. Push local government for change to school phys. ed. programs, taxes on foods that are junk, taking toys out of happy meals, better and affordable recreation programs.

We all have some control over what goes into our bodies, and parents should be modeling healthy behaviour. Not everyone can due to income or education, or wants to. So we can help change policies that help a little bit. You come from a caring place with your concerns, but there are ways you can channel that empathy so that no one feels bad.

best of luck!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Eeeeekie is a smart...cookie :)

ha, thanks :P it's not really smarts just common sense which seems to be lacked now a days.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have babysat for children of all ages. I have friends who have children who are also my age. Saying I have zero way of knowing is ridiculous, and I'm saying these things from a logical standpoint, not just ignorance. If I have an obese child in the future, I hope someone tries to stop me from whatever I'm doing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think that should be a last resort. First the family should be put in nutrition education classes and counseling for what is probably food addiction. Only if the parents fail to cooperate should further action be taken. Removal of a child from the home should be only in extreme cases.
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    Why is anyone upset about this post??? It is so true (as stated above) that childhood obesity has tripled. I don't think that has anything to do with cystic fibrosis tripling as well (and I mean NO disrespect at all, I'm sure your child [and all with similar diseases] are wonderful gifts). America just likes to blame obesity on anything but themselves and parents have a responsibility to their children to make sure they do not fall in the obese category. I was never fat as a kid, and I'm sure part of that is genetics. If your kid is a little chunky and very active, I'm sure they'll grow into it! I don't think that is the situation with most of these children.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options

I am totally and completely in awe over the out and out "POMPOUS" know it all even tho you have NO IDEA attitude that you are showing in all of this... No, I never said that you are an idiot. But now, I am walking away before I get in trouble for saying something FAR worse. If it's not locked when I come back.... I'll be shocked!
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've had someone comment on my three year olds size and he's not even over weight he's a short stocky build and has a big head which makes him look bigger than he is. He eats very healthy food and is very active and you cant see a bit of fat on him. But because of his large head (sorry sound like a bad mum calling him big head) this person took it apon themselves to comment on his weight because he was eating sausages. I really had to bite my tounge.

As for obese children I just think its really sad when I see them and hope that if any of mine ever got anywhere near being that size I would do something about it. I see it as killing with kindness in a way when people keep feeding their children treats to make them happy. I also know what its like to be an overweight child and I wouldn't wish that on anyone
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Obviously I'm not sitting down drawing out a proposal to the feds, or else I would have answers for you. In short, I feel like something needs to be put in place to regulate this. It's not okay that people can kill their kids with food. Honestly, at a very young age (say 10 and under) maybe BMI is a good way to go about it. No child is going to have enough muscle on them to make the BMI scale so inaccurate that it would say a child is obese if they weren't. Or maybe when they hit that morbid obesity, give the parents a year to get the child to a healthy weight (time probably would change depending on how overweight the child is). I'm not trying to bully parents, just trying to say that it is abuse to feed them in such ways.
    I feel that the mothers that have their kids all dolled up like *kitten* for those kiddie beauty pageants are terrible, and doing some serious damage to their kids. I will never call for them to be taken away though. it's a dangerous path when you call for gov't to intervene for anything beyond protecting kids from immediate physical harm. Once you give them some power, it is nearly impossible to take it back, or keep them from wanting more.

Gov't regulation is rarely the answer to any societal ills.
This discussion has been closed.