12345679»

Replies

• lynnernon
    Options
    btw it's called postpartum.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options

One other thing -- is a pierced uterus something that women can recover from and have kids? At normal rates, or through extraordinary efforts?

good/interesting question - I have a couple friends who had to have IUDs surgically removed because they implanted into the uterine wall. No one mentioned anything to them about decreased fertility and given the fact that the cells in your uterus reproduce quickly (enough to grow and shed each month), I would assume that the uterine wall would be able to recover. If it is actually pierced though, I dont know. My sister in law is a nurse practitioner and I'll ask if she has any insight when I see her thursday
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Is there a risk of an IUD piercing my uterus if I were to fall in a particular way, especially considering that I would have a small uterus due to not being pregnant in the past? What about Implanon -- is that flexible enough that it wouldn't cause injury if I fell? I should have asked my doctor when I was in her office, but I forgot. I might have been distracted by the fact that she suggested that I stay on NuvaRing for a while to see if my cycle starts up with the 3 mos in/1 week out plan, despite the fact that she herself just told me that she had a new baby bump from forgetting to stay on the NuvaRing schedule! Yikes! (Luckily, I have a reminder set up on my calendar, and, to be fair, I got the impression that she wasn't totally worried about a surprise, unlike I would be.)

This month Old Flo was back, so I will be staying on NuvaRing unless I start skipping again. Still, I would love any thoughts on certain physical activities that could potentially put us at higher risk of complications.

One other thing -- is a pierced uterus something that women can recover from and have kids? At normal rates, or through extraordinary efforts?

Thanks, ladies!

It's not uncommon for a woman's cervix to be repeatedly hit during sex, and if an IUD isn't displaced by that kind of pseudo-direct contact then I really don't think you need to worry about a fall. My doctor basically said that the only thing that would dislodge an IUD is the uterus itself rejecting it, and that any outside impacts or stimulation weren't anything I needed to worry about. This makes sense as the uterus is basically a huge muscle - it protects itself very well.

Also, if uterus perforation impacted fertility, then women who have had c-sections should, in theory, have more fertility issues. I wouldn't worry about that either.
  • queenfineschic
    queenfineschic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    More a hurts when put in and is uncomfortable for a few months but for me it's the best thing I could've ever gotten. It is definitely effective TRUST me lol
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The device is inside the uterus and its shape, even if it were physically possible, isn't really conducive to piercing. I wouldn't worry about it in a fall at all. I'd actually be more concerned about the implanon device in your arm FAR more than I'd worry about an IUD in your uterus.
    I have 1 friend(out of many, keep in mind uterine perforation is still VERY rare) who had her uterus perforated from an IUD. She had children after the incident. And I agree with the previous poster-women have c-sections at alarming rates and their fertility isn't typically compromised.
  • brits111383
    Options
    Is there a risk of an IUD piercing my uterus if I were to fall in a particular way, especially considering that I would have a small uterus due to not being pregnant in the past? What about Implanon -- is that flexible enough that it wouldn't cause injury if I fell? I should have asked my doctor when I was in her office, but I forgot. I might have been distracted by the fact that she suggested that I stay on NuvaRing for a while to see if my cycle starts up with the 3 mos in/1 week out plan, despite the fact that she herself just told me that she had a new baby bump from forgetting to stay on the NuvaRing schedule! Yikes! (Luckily, I have a reminder set up on my calendar, and, to be fair, I got the impression that she wasn't totally worried about a surprise, unlike I would be.)

This month Old Flo was back, so I will be staying on NuvaRing unless I start skipping again. Still, I would love any thoughts on certain physical activities that could potentially put us at higher risk of complications.

Thanks, ladies!

It's not uncommon for a woman's cervix to be repeatedly hit during sex, and if an IUD isn't displaced by that kind of pseudo-direct contact then I really don't think you need to worry about a fall. My doctor basically said that the only thing that would dislodge an IUD is the uterus itself rejecting it, and that any outside impacts or stimulation weren't anything I needed to worry about. This makes sense as the uterus is basically a huge muscle - it protects itself very well.

Also, if uterus perforation impacted fertility, then women who have had c-sections should, in theory, have more fertility issues. I wouldn't worry about that either.

Thanks so much for your help! :)
  • brits111383
    Options
    The device is inside the uterus and its shape, even if it were physically possible, isn't really conducive to piercing. I wouldn't worry about it in a fall at all. I'd actually be more concerned about the implanon device in your arm FAR more than I'd worry about an IUD in your uterus.
    I have 1 friend(out of many, keep in mind uterine perforation is still VERY rare) who had her uterus perforated from an IUD. She had children after the incident. And I agree with the previous poster-women have c-sections at alarming rates and their fertility isn't typically compromised.

Thank you! :)
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i had the mirena. It wasn't NOT good for me.. but thats just me!
    Caused weight gain, hair loss, anxiety, and a list other lady problems... I got that bad boy out and it took me 2yrs to get my body back to normal!! It wasn't fun for me. But its small percentages that it doesn't work with their body.

ME TOO! I was loosing 100 hairs average in one shower! I had it in for 4 years and gained 13 pounds in that 4 years and YES I was thin my whole life and lost my baby weight with both kids before getting Mirena. I read up on it for hours and the the average 5 year Mirena user gains 20 pounds. I was working out and still gained 13 in 4 years. It has been 6 months since I have had it out and now my hormones are back to normal I only lose 5-10 hairs in the shower and have already lost 7 pounds working on the rest!
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Something you may want to consider is whether your GYN will prescribe you medication before IUD insertion. I was worried about it when I got my Mirena, and my doctor gave me prescriptions for pain and for cervical dilation (I've never had children) that helped a lot! I only had a twinge of discomfort for a few seconds during placement, and that was all.

I've had my IUD for four years and absolutely love it. To me, a major fringe benefit of using hormone-based Mirena is that I haven't had a period for this entire time! My periods were awful, and it's a huge relief (in addition to being one of the most effective methods of reversible contraception!). Plus, it's been cheaper in the long run than my birth control pills, and I don't ever have to worry about forgetting or refilling them.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

B
  • anna_love
    Options
    i have the copper one its for 10 years i been having it for 1year and 3 months im okay with it i dont feel anything !! and when i first gat it in the clinc it did hurt but i was okay after it !! just take someone who could drive u home cuz ur going to feel wierd
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I got my Paragard IUD about 2 weeks ago. So far, so good. I love it! Doesn't hurt. No problems whatsoever. I'm happy I made this decision because I know it's right for me!

As far as the insertion, it didn't hurt that bad. I mean, it was uncomfortable and I had what was a severe cramp...but then it went away. Nothing like some people have described. I didn't feel like I was dying. I've never had children, and it was no big deal!
  • jsflare
    Options
    I have merena and I didnt think it hurt at all, and have had no complications, or cramps, or period for over a year, I love it!!!
  • Momsarah5
    Momsarah5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a paraguard and after 1 1/2 years got pregnant. Have a wonderful 6 year old now ;) I have been on the mirena IUD for the past 6 years and everything is great (havent got pregnany :) I have normal periods no crazy weight gain! It hurt like a hard cramp and a little spotting the next couple days and that is it.
  • ani1225
    ani1225 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I am new to this but I'm glad to find someone that has had the same effect as I with the Mirena. I had inserted about 2 years ago and have not had my period since.
  • jenna011791
    Options
    Just got Skyla inserted 6 days ago. Awful experience. I didn't have my period so they had to dilate me. I also have never had a child. I'm tough, and this almost brought me to tears. After it was done, I asked the doctor how most women react. She said there's a lot of screaming and crying.

Took two aspirins an hour before. Worst pain I've ever experienced - had 3 extremely intense stabbing feelings during the insertion process and awful contractions for a few hours after. The first day the contractions were the worst, and they're still here on day 6 but not nearly as intense. I finally stopped bleeding today.

I talked to a friend who had one inserted after having 2 children, (they say its much less painful after having children), and she said the pain is equivalent to being dilated to a 6 during labor. I haven't been on it long enough to see the benefits, but they better be damn good for this.