breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    And formula is child abuse.

Really? How would you support this nonseniscal statement?

Breast feeding is fine, but you can do it discreetly.

^^ This..

PLUS

- if you whip your breast out in public be prepared for people to stare. DO NOT get offended when people stare. Modesty could be employed and you could use a blanket or the nursing apron. But if you insist, then expect every man, woman and child to look.

PLUS

- Formula is child abuse? Can you walk into traffic please. Right now. Don't wait. Save yourself the pain of going through life with a closed mind.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Love the fact that there are so many breast-feeding advocates now. How times have changed...

When I was born, in 1976, my parents lived in a conservative small town. They both got tagged as "liberal troublemakers" by the hospital staff. Why? Because Dad insisted on being present with Mom... in the delivery room, gasp!... during the entire process of labor & birth. And then because my mother insisted on breastfeeding me. In fact, when Mom caught the nurses giving me a bottle behind her back, she threw a fit and got the doctors involved and the nurses were disciplined. Never mess with a hormonal redhead. :wink:

The irony is that my parents really aren't liberal hippie types. But both have degrees in education, which included classes in childhood development, so they both knew the benefits of breastfeeding over bottle-feeding. And they're both from farm families, where the "facts of life" are learned early and taken for granted. Mothers have babies. Then they feed them. What's the big deal?

Hopefully, our culture will continue to evolve until women's breasts in any context are no longer an issue.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I don't see the big deal, I would prefer the woman and child to be covered though:)

However this would make me uncomfortable!!:laugh:
    b47uj5.jpg
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    And formula is child abuse.

Really? How would you support this nonseniscal statement?

Breast feeding is fine, but you can do it discreetly.

Wow! Guess all of the moms that can't breast feed, not by choice or lack of trying, are child abusers! Damn! That doctor that told me I needed to give it up after 3 days because my son wasn't getting anything from my breast because nothing had come in due to all the medications that were keeping me alive to be his mother stopped my milk or ANYTHING from coming in and he (a preemie and small already) had lost a pound + in those 3 days and NEEDED what formula could give him and I couldn't should be labeled an abuser as well, huh? Breastfeeding was always my goal but it just couldn't be for me. To make someone feel like less of a caring mother because they couldn't with a broad statement like that is awful. Shame on you.

Back to the original topic? Breastfeeding is natural, should be done where ever it is comfortable, but to those that say you are "bonding" with your baby while feeding and pushing a cart full of whatever...I call b.s. You are bonding with your child when you stop what you are doing and look in their eyes as you feed them...rub their cheek while they eat...sing and rock them in a comforting manner...be it bottle or breast. Not when you latch them and keep doing what you're doing...that is no different in my opinion than a bottle feeding mother propping a bottle up with a blanket so she doesn't have to hold it and continue doing what she is doing.

Okay, let the ripping what I posted apart begin.

P.S. Older babies are usually on a schedule...plan shopping trips if possible around feedings/naps...I did. Having a routine in place for babies/children is also as highly recommended as breastfeeding is these days.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    This is a touchy subject...obviously!

I am huge on breast feeding! I breast fed both of my kids but I NEVER did it in public...and to be completely honest it is NOT natural that is why you have to "teach" your baby how to latch on and so forth. I learned that from my lactation consultant.

I always pumped when my babies weren't hungry so that I had milk ready when we were out and about and so that my husband could share in the feeding duties.

To each their own but I don't want to see your boob nor do I want my 5 yr old to see it when we are at the mall either. They make family rooms in the restroom area just for this reason.

I have never seen one of these rooms in a Target store. Maybe it's my geographic location, but our Target's bathrooms are nasty and small and there's no place to sit that isn't a toilet... not a place to eat.

Also, are walking, talking, and holding up one's own head unnatural? Because babies have to learn those too...

I am currently pregnant with my first child. I plan to breastfeed. I plan to do it as discreetly as possible, but since I will be a newbie there is a distinct possibility that someone will be flashed at some point. I'm pretty appalled that there is so much opposition to people breast-feeding in public on a site dedicated to health. I live in a pretty conservative little midwestern town, and tons of local businesses have little blue stickers on their doors welcoming breastfeeding mothers. There are billboards all over town encouraging breastfeeding. I guess I thought the controversy on this issue had passed... clearly I am wrong.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    If I ever have a kid, I would breastfeed them, but I doubt I would do it in public, just because that's my personality; however, I believe that the law should not be against it if a woman decided to feed in public.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed its even an issue. That said when I breastfed, although I did it in public i always chose a quiet corner in the restaurant or whereever I was , its nicer for the baby to give them that time.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Breasts are for feeding babies.

Yep this ^
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    Babies need to eat frequently. Moms need to do things outside the house. Of course it's ok to breastfeed in public. I had a coverup for my kids but I think it's fine without. That's what breasts are for.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    double post
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding, and I have breastfed in public a million times. I have done it sitting in the park, pushing a cart in target, shopping at home depot, at work and a million other places. I honestly don't care if my breasts are exposed, but I always cover up so I don't make anyone uncomfortable. People are too touchy about what is a normal, natural thing. I get more uncomfortable watching a baby drink formula, to be completely honest. I can't say that I would ever do a nurse- in because I don't feel like they will change the public views of breastfeeding, but I would never park my butt in a dressing room just because people get uncomfortable with me using my breasts for what nature intended.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it absolutely disgusting if someone does it in public. It's something that needs to be done in private.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    to be completely honest it is NOT natural that is why you have to "teach" your baby how to latch on and so forth. I learned that from my lactation consultant.

um.... WHAT?! *face palm*
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I nursed my babies when they wanted to eat. I always tried to be discrete but if I did not have a cover I nursed anyway. You don't like it don't look. I don't like to watch people shoveling food in their mouths and chewing with their mouths open and being pigs about how they eat but they have a right to eat and so do my babies.
  • starshine420
    Options
    simple answer here: it is allowed. As much allowed as eating anything in public is allowed. Yes, there are those who have their preference and will cover up: nothing wrong with that either. But when the kid is hungry, he is hungry. Would you rather she find somewhere to cover up while the child screams or would you rather a happy, healthy baby? And we have to teach babies because, duh! they haven't learned a thing when they are born. But can you really say a bottle is natural? No, guess not, it's plastic and fake milk, though it is another method you can choose for your child or if you can't breast feed. Breast feeding is natural, human beings have been doing it since the dawn of time.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Also, I think the poster who posted about "child abuse" meant that it is bordering on abusive to not feed a hungry infant just because you do not happen to be in a place that will not draw attention. I do not think they meant to get into a bottle vs. breast discussion....
  • starshine420
    Options
    to be completely honest it is NOT natural that is why you have to "teach" your baby how to latch on and so forth. I learned that from my lactation consultant.

um.... WHAT?! *face palm*
    my thoughts exactly
  • maryann441
    maryann441 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you are nursing and you have a hungry screaming baby, you feed them no matter where you are. :happy: Seriously though, I used to nurse in public all the time. No one ever knew what I was doing. You can be discrete about it.
  • Bella3119
    Options
    The only reason why breastfeeding is such a hot topic is bc America is too over exposed to sex. From the radio to TV, online, video games books and yes even MFP, Sex is everywhere.

I hated pumping milk and breast feeding my first daughter in the bathroom at work and in public bathrooms. It was disgusting. I felt dirty and ashamed for succombing to other people's demands.

My second daughter gave me my voice. I made it a point to stay covered, use the wraps and go in areas with low traffic. I still had to hear other people's comments but they didn't bother me. It was their issue relating boobs only for sexual pleasure not mine.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Americans are so hung up on nudity, especially breasts. Men walk around with their breasts showing, but pull one out to use it for its intended purpose, and risk becoming an object of ridicule.

Just had to repeat this point right here - for obvious reasons.