breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• calamitydown
    Options
    Okay let me ask you a question... what is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when a mother is breastfeeding her child in public? How many times have you see it?

As other posters have said, I pretty much view it as an act that doesn't have to be shared with the rest of the world. I've seen more than few women breastfeed in public. Some were discreet. Some, not so much. The one incident that is forever burned into my mind was a lady feeding her baby in the middle of the mall. I was probably 16 at the time. There was nothing discreet about it - NOTHING! Chalk it up to teenage immaturity, but I was grossed out by the whole thing. On the other hand, I have no doubt that I've been in presence of the women breast feeding while in public and had absolutely no clue about what was going on. I can't be offended or even have a mild reaction to something I don't know is happening. But whenever I am aware, my mind flashes back to that traumatic experience as a teenager.

THIS!^^^

chalk it up to ignorance, but breastfeeding in public makes me extremely uncomfortable.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Okay let me ask you a question... what is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when a mother is breastfeeding her child in public? How many times have you see it?

As other posters have said, I pretty much view it as an act that doesn't have to be shared with the rest of the world. I've seen more than few women breastfeed in public. Some were discreet. Some, not so much. The one incident that is forever burned into my mind was a lady feeding her baby in the middle of the mall. I was probably 16 at the time. There was nothing discreet about it - NOTHING! Chalk it up to teenage immaturity, but I was grossed out by the whole thing. On the other hand, I have no doubt that I've been in presence of the women breast feeding while in public and had absolutely no clue about what was going on. I can't be offended or even have a mild reaction to something I don't know is happening. But whenever I am aware, my mind flashes back to that traumatic experience as a teenager.

THIS!^^^

chalk it up to ignorance, but breastfeeding in public makes me extremely uncomfortable.

This is a problem that you have though not the problem of the mother breastfeeding. Your issue.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just know that 90% of the rest of the world thinks you Americans are crazy for even having this debate. :flowerforyou:

As Americans, we could care less what the rest of the world thinks of us. :wink:

Spoken like a true Yank. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Most AMERICANS are uncomfortable because it's a BARE BOOB in public. We are so "anti sex" in the US that a natural part of life is viewed as sexual. Chaulk it up to how ultra conservative people banter about the naked body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Just know that 90% of the rest of the world thinks you Americans are crazy for even having this debate. :flowerforyou:

As Americans, we could care less what the rest of the world thinks of us. :wink:

Hey - that's not all of us!
  • calamitydown
    Options
    obviously there are other people in the world that are very uncomfortable with the situation, what's to say that their rights as americans aren't as important? i've also viewed breastfeeding as a private moment between the mother and child, so maybe it is personal. who knows.

like others have said, there are some moms who do it so discreetly that no one would know- that's fine. it's private. but when i go to a public pool or grocery store and someone is being less than private (to say it kindly) while breastfeeding, i feel very uneasy.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

I've seen it a couple of times myself. What makes me uncomfortable is that to me, feeding a child from your breast, which is a private part of your body, should not be a public act. I don't get why it is so hard to go and find a private room to do it in, or pump (if you can) and bring it with you to the store instead of lifting your shirt and having to have the baby latch on and be exposed like that.
    I addressed this. You didn't reply.

Leaving a social situation is easy. I'd do that regularly. Leaving a store when you have a cart with milk and frozen foods and you should have had dinner in the oven already and older kid is getting cranky because it's coming up on nap-time and baby wants to be fed NOW is not so easy.

Breastfeeding is beautiful. It's also necessary if you are a BFing mother. I think it's equally beautiful to have a nice sit down dinner with my family around the dining room table. That doesn't mean we haven't scarfed down burgers in the car every once in a while.

Not everyone can pump. Some of those who can work outside the home and need that supply for while they are gone. You don't see why it's so hard to go find a private room in a store for 20 minutes because you compared it to leaving a social situation to talk on the phone or do your makeup. That's an entirely different world than parenting, especially with babies and young kids. It most definitely is hard, all but impossible even, to take a cranky toddler to the dressing room at WalMart (because I'll feed my kids in the bathroom when you eat a your lunch in the next stall), keep the toddler still, patient, and occupied for 20 minutes, feed the baby, go find your cart which has probably been put away or if not you will at least need to switch out the refrigerated/frozen foods, then get home 20 minutes later than the already running late you were already doing, try to get the toddler down for a nap which won't happen because after screaming through the rest of your shopping trip (which got you many more nasty looks than nursing a baby ever would) he fell asleep for 5 minutes in the car so that means no more nap and do all of that so some stranger doesn't have to wonder if that baby in the sling is asleep or nursing. Sorry, you're just not that important for me to go through all of that so you don't have to feel slightly uncomfortable passing me in an aisle for 5 seconds.
  • Bahet
    Options
    The good thing about all this is that, no matter what other people's OPINIONS are on this matter, the vast majority of states have laws in place that supercede all of them. Almost all states allow a mother to BF wherever they and children are otherwise allowed to be. Period.
    It's the law everywhere. It was never illegal anywhere. Some states have just had to write it as actual laws so the stupid people wouldn't try to have BFing mothers arrested or kicked out. It's a bit like drinking water. It's not on the books in any state that a person can drink a glass of water in public. But if people started harassing people for drinking water in public, tried to kick them out of restaurants, malls, etc, then legislators would write laws stating that it is legal for people to drink water in public.
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding, public or not, is natural. Sometimes awkward, but hey, when baby is hungry, would you rather have screaming baby or happy baby? Imagine how you would feel if you weren't allowed to eat in public!

AGREEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options

THIS!^^^

This is a problem that you have though not the problem of the mother breastfeeding. Your issue.

I've never stated nor meant to imply that it was anyone else's issue but my own. However, my issues shape my opinions and viewpoints. It is what it is. I don't have a problem that other people think differently than I do. I'm comfortable with how I feel and I don't see a need to change. My preference to not be exposed to other people's body parts is not depriving me of anything particularly important or profound.
  • KatieCuth
    Options
    Im sure there are many things in life that make you feel uncomfortable. Please allow women to freely feed there child with RESPECT. Why have debates like this its crazy and the majority are women. It's very upsetting. Babies do not have voices so US as women have to speak up for them and not be at the mercy of formula milk companies.

In this day and age you want a women confided at home.

I breastfeed my child for 2 years, after the first year I returned to work, the only place I could express my milk was in the SICK BAY... My child never took to the bottle so luckily I didnt express for long.
  • KatieCuth
    Options

THIS!^^^

I've never stated nor meant to imply that it was anyone else's issue but my own. However, my issues shape my opinions and viewpoints. It is what it is. I don't have a problem that other people think differently than I do. I'm comfortable with how I feel and I don't see a need to change. My preference to not be exposed to other people's body parts is not depriving me of anything particularly important or profound.

Sorry my mistake I should not of quoted the whole message, that was aimed at Clamity.
  • KatieCuth
    Options

THIS!^^^

Sorry my mistake I should not of quoted the whole message, that was aimed at Clamity.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Although, I understand that to non-Americans, all Americans are "yanks", as a southerner I take great offense to being called any variation of a yankee. :cry:
  • Bahet
    Options

^^Yeah, that. Some of us realize that American conceit and disdain only further worsens our image and still others of us realize there isn't much worth being conceited about anymore. Europe has us beat in a lot of ways. Ditto the land down under. :wink:
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Maybe its because I had a fun night out with other moms, but man let's just all get along!!

Seriously to each their own, let's all be happy that we have great children in our lives !! Along with what ever blessings we are given.

Debating with one another isn't going to change anything!!
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    obviously there are other people in the world that are very uncomfortable with the situation, what's to say that their rights as americans aren't as important? i've also viewed breastfeeding as a private moment between the mother and child, so maybe it is personal. who knows.

like others have said, there are some moms who do it so discreetly that no one would know- that's fine. it's private. but when i go to a public pool or grocery store and someone is being less than private (to say it kindly) while breastfeeding, i feel very uneasy.

I still find it revealing that many of the people who are uncomfortable with BF in public are young women. I don't see a ton of young men here. I feel bad for the girls who are so uncomfortable with BF! It really is not a big deal! Especially, after you've been through labor and had part of your body examined and put out there during labor! Luckily, something chemical will happen in women's brains when we get pregnant and you start to care about the really important stuff, like the health of your baby, rather than who is wearing what or doing whatever in public!

I also think when you tell someone who is trying to meet the needs of their child that they are making your life difficult, it is a bit annoying. Hardly anyone WANTS to breastfeed in public. It is super embarrassing enough without random people on a MFP thread saying how uneasy it makes them feel.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options

As an American, I'm with the other 90% of the world...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I've seen it a couple of times myself. What makes me uncomfortable is that to me, feeding a child from your breast, which is a private part of your body, should not be a public act. I don't get why it is so hard to go and find a private room to do it in, or pump (if you can) and bring it with you to the store instead of lifting your shirt and having to have the baby latch on and be exposed like that.
    I addressed this. You didn't reply.

Leaving a social situation is easy. I'd do that regularly. Leaving a store when you have a cart with milk and frozen foods and you should have had dinner in the oven already and older kid is getting cranky because it's coming up on nap-time and baby wants to be fed NOW is not so easy.

Breastfeeding is beautiful. It's also necessary if you are a BFing mother. I think it's equally beautiful to have a nice sit down dinner with my family around the dining room table. That doesn't mean we haven't scarfed down burgers in the car every once in a while.

Not everyone can pump. Some of those who can work outside the home and need that supply for while they are gone. You don't see why it's so hard to go find a private room in a store for 20 minutes because you compared it to leaving a social situation to talk on the phone or do your makeup. That's an entirely different world than parenting, especially with babies and young kids. It most definitely is hard, all but impossible even, to take a cranky toddler to the dressing room at WalMart (because I'll feed my kids in the bathroom when you eat a your lunch in the next stall), keep the toddler still, patient, and occupied for 20 minutes, feed the baby, go find your cart which has probably been put away or if not you will at least need to switch out the refrigerated/frozen foods, then get home 20 minutes later than the already running late you were already doing, try to get the toddler down for a nap which won't happen because after screaming through the rest of your shopping trip (which got you many more nasty looks than nursing a baby ever would) he fell asleep for 5 minutes in the car so that means no more nap and do all of that so some stranger doesn't have to wonder if that baby in the sling is asleep or nursing. Sorry, you're just not that important for me to go through all of that so you don't have to feel slightly uncomfortable passing me in an aisle for 5 seconds.

I apologize for not responding to your post. There are a lot of posts I could reply to, so I've been picking and choosing ones.

About having a cart of groceries, etc. I understand that may occur sometimes, but couldn't a woman feed the baby before they go out? The baby should be satiated for a while, at least the amount of time it takes to dip into the grocery store. I think it could be more timed out. And yes, I do understand that babies get hungry when they get hungry. But if you understand your baby, you may know, "okay, I just fed him, he should be good for a while now" and be able to plan your trips accordingly.
    I still find it revealing that many of the people who are uncomfortable with BF in public are young women. I don't see a ton of young men here. I feel bad for the girls who are so uncomfortable with BF! It really is not a big deal! Especially, after you've been through labor and had part of your body examined and put out there during labor! Luckily, something chemical will happen in women's brains when we get pregnant and you start to care about the really important stuff, like the health of your baby, rather than who is wearing what or doing whatever in public!

I also think when you tell someone who is trying to meet the needs of their child that they are making your life difficult, it is a bit annoying. Hardly anyone WANTS to breastfeed in public. It is super embarrassing enough without random people on a MFP thread saying how uneasy it makes them feel.

I think that men care, but they don't feel like they have a say or deserve to say something because they aren't women. Like I pointed out before, Kasey Kahne recently got some flak for saying that he lost his appetite in the grocery store when he saw a woman breastfeeding in the aisles of a grocery store. He later recalled his words, and said that a woman can breastfeed where she wants, but regardless, he said the original words and I'm not sure he believes his apology.

Also about the people not wanting to BF in public - I would agree completely. If I did end up BF, I would not feel one bit comfortable with doing it in public, that is why I'd come up with a plan and a plan B scenario to deal with the situation, whether it be a supplemental bottle of formula or what-not.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Duly noted!! (and the "we don't care what the world thinks of us" actually represents a small number of Americans, in my experience.)

I can't imagine how the prudish would feel living in another country. When I lived in India, you would regularly see people going to the toilet on the side of the road. In South America, topless (and almost bottomless) is de riguer. In Europe, no one looks twice at a bare breast... they're everywhere!! LOL!! I just can't imagine being so uptight about a baby feeding from a BREAST!!

How do you feel about bare ankles? :laugh: