breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

This coupled with your North vs. South comment makes me think you have a hard time stepping out of your comfort zone.

So what if she does? We are who we are. And generally people like those around them to be of similar opinion to them. It doesn't make them wrong or ignorant. That poster is taking the time to read these posts, and stepping out of her comfort zone while doing that.

ETA - just came across this photo. http://celebritybabies.people.com/2007/05/05/maggie_gyllenha/
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

This coupled with your North vs. South comment makes me think you have a hard time stepping out of your comfort zone.

So what if she does? We are who we are.

Well, wasn't the point of this thread and your original question to get different perspectives? Isn't that when we learn when we step out of comfort zone and try to think about what others are saying?
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    387829_2847642346154_1112297368_3206201_366741092_n.jpg
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    As an example of our craziness: My roommate's cousin graduated from high school last year, and for her generation it's normal to earn bracelets based on what sexual acts you are willing to perform and it's not uncommon for teenagers to have group sex parties. And some people are concerned about breastfeeding?! A reevaluation of our views about sex and sexuality is in order. If we had a healthier attitude, maybe we wouldn't have so many unhealthy sexual behaviors and women's breasts wouldn't be seen as purely a sexual "private" body part.

I've heard so much about this, yet have actually never heard of anyone really doing it. It was kind of popularized in a few select cases and a Jodi Picoult book I read. I think it's hype, and nobody actually does that.

That's what I thought, too, until I actually started hearing about it from real people. My roommate's 17 year old step-cousin recently impregnated a girl at a sex party. Of course, a paternity test was required, since they were switching partners. I really wouldn't have believed it, either. But then again, my roommate is younger than I am and the things that were normal for his friends also weren't normal for mine! It's really shocking what happens now.
  • christine24t
    Options

Well, wasn't the point of this thread and your original question to get different perspectives? Isn't that when we learn when we step out of comfort zone and try to think about what others are saying?

Definitely - I wanted to see what others' opinions are on the subject. I didn't expect my one question to spiral out so much. That being said, I don't think any of you are going to change my mind, but I certainly like reading the other side of the issue and becoming educated on that.
    But if you don't like to step out of that comfort zone, it's your right.
    As an example of our craziness: My roommate's cousin graduated from high school last year, and for her generation it's normal to earn bracelets based on what sexual acts you are willing to perform and it's not uncommon for teenagers to have group sex parties. And some people are concerned about breastfeeding?! A reevaluation of our views about sex and sexuality is in order. If we had a healthier attitude, maybe we wouldn't have so many unhealthy sexual behaviors and women's breasts wouldn't be seen as purely a sexual "private" body part.

I've heard so much about this, yet have actually never heard of anyone really doing it. It was kind of popularized in a few select cases and a Jodi Picoult book I read. I think it's hype, and nobody actually does that.

That's what I thought, too, until I actually started hearing about it from real people. My roommate's 17 year old step-cousin recently impregnated a girl at a sex party. Of course, a paternity test was required, since they were switching partners. I really wouldn't have believed it, either. But then again, my roommate is younger than I am and the things that were normal for his friends also weren't normal for mine! It's really shocking what happens now.

Wow, I cannot believe that! I think schools need better sex education...but don't get me started on that! There should be so much more education it's ridiculous.
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Is it normally prudish people who venture outside of their comfort zone and explore other cultures? I would think not. So they probably wouldn't have to concern themselves with scenarios you cited.

Different countries have different customs and social norms. You're not bothered by bare boobs. I would rather not have to look at them. I can't see how your opinion is better or worse than mine. And knowing that about myself, I don't put myself in settings where I would be made to feel uncomfortable. What is wrong with that?

This is how I feel. I know certain social situations can make me uncomfortable, so I try and avoid them. If I went to Europe, I would certainly not go to a nude beach. But if someone stripped down next to me at a restaurant, then yes, I'd be uncomfortable and rightly so. It is not the proper venue for it. Just because being naked is natural does not mean it's always appropriate.

Also BFHI recommend EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING and AGAINST any BOTTLES, TEETS or DUMMIES.....

Just because they recommend breastfeeding doesn't mean that bottle-feeding is wrong. Some women that want to BF can't, and to say that bottles or teets are wrong is just sad to read. This is why some women feel so guilty about not BF.

I didn't say Bottles were WRONG!!!!!!! And this is NOT about bottle feeding mothers feeling bad- If they don't want to- Their choice... If they can't- they can't... ANd yes they probably do feel awful!! I Myself have worked with many women having breastfeeding issues, for numerous reasons. I have also worked with others not wanting to even try breastfeeding. My job is to educate them, and let them make the parenting decisions.

I AM saying, that BFHI recommends exclusive breast feeding for a minimum of 6 months (for the HEALTH of the infant) hence being a human right. For those who follow it strictly then yes- without any teats or dummies, what works for some doesn't work for all. What I am highlighting is the Human Right to breastfeed not that mothers who don't are bad or that teats and dummies are bad....

I strongly suggest you either lock yourself inside your house with the curtains closed and TV & radio off, for heaven forbid you find something else completely natural offensive OR get some cultural and natural perspectives.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just know that 90% of the rest of the world thinks you Americans are crazy for even having this debate. :flowerforyou:

As Americans, we could care less what the rest of the world thinks of us. :wink:

Spoken like a true Yank. :laugh:

Hey - that's not all of us!

Duly noted!! (and the "we don't care what the world thinks of us" actually represents a small number of Americans, in my experience.)

My experience has been the opposite. I suppose it's the part of the country I'm from. But I think overall, at the end of the day, most Americans are not terribly concerned with how the rest of the world views us. That could be good or bad.

I can't imagine how the prudish would feel living in another country. When I lived in India, you would regularly see people going to the toilet on the side of the road. In South America, topless (and almost bottomless) is de riguer. In Europe, no one looks twice at a bare breast... they're everywhere!! LOL!! I just can't imagine being so uptight about a baby feeding from a BREAST!!

How do you feel about bare ankles? :laugh:

Is it normally prudish people who venture outside of their comfort zone and explore other cultures? I would think not. So they probably wouldn't have to concern themselves with scenarios you cited.

Different countries have different customs and social norms. You're not bothered by bare boobs. I would rather not have to look at them. I can't see how your opinion is better or worse than mine. And knowing that about myself, I don't put myself in settings where I would be made to feel uncomfortable. What is wrong with that?

This coupled with your North vs. South comment makes me think you have a hard time stepping out of your comfort zone. Basically, you really like everyone around you to have the same opinion and culture as you?

I would venture to say that you are from west or midwest. If that is so, then I would totally not expect you to understand. I will put your concerns at ease and inform you that I have no problem stepping outside my comfort zone. Not only have I lived in several different parts of the country, I have also travelled overseas. I have been exposed to classmates, coworkers, church members, neighbors, etc of varying ethnicities, nationalities, religions, and so on. It is not uncommon for me to be in the minority or on the unpopular side when discussing various issues with people that I respect and call friend. Just because I disagree with them doesn't mean that I don't value their opinion. And learning about other cultures and and ways of living doesn't mean that I am going to abandon the customs and norms that I am familiar with. But overall, I try not to be as judgemental as the people that I disagree with.
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options

lol :)
  • dlei456
    Options

[/quote]

Definitely - I wanted to see what others' opinions are on the subject. I didn't expect my one question to spiral out so much. That being said, I don't think any of you are going to change my mind, but I certainly like reading the other side of the issue and becoming educated on that.
    But if you don't like to step out of that comfort zone, it's your right.
    [/quote]

Well, I really believe that true learning means stepping out of your comfort zone and really challenging yourself. That's good that you enjoyed this thread. I really feel like the comments became controversial when breastfeeding moms started being judged and criticized. I think those comments were also rude and written to make people upset.
  • tlsegar
    Options

Is that what you're doing? Stepping outside your comfort zone and trying to think about what others are saying? Or are you just trying to point out how people who think differently than you are wrong?
  • dlei456
    Options
    [/quote]

Is that what you're doing? Stepping outside your comfort zone and trying to think about what others are saying? Or are you just trying to point out how people who think differently than you are wrong?
    [/quote]

Well, you did say that you don't put yourself in situations that make you uncomfortable. And, I have been a young person who was uncomfortable with seeing other people's bodies.

And btw, after living in several places as well, I am in living in the South now!

I am having trouble with quotes! haha!
  • christine24t
    Options
    Well, I really believe that true learning means stepping out of your comfort zone and really challenging yourself. That's good that you enjoyed this thread. I really feel like the comments became controversial when breastfeeding moms started being judged and criticized. I think those comments were also rude and written to make people upset.

I think both sides have gotten flack. I think that the BF moms were judged not for breastfeeding, but for choosing to do it in a public place. I don't agree with it, sure, but I tried my hardest not to insult anybody who believed the opposite of me. Clearly, it's legal and I'm not going to stop it. When i see it in public, I am uncomfortable, and if I can leave, I do, but I wish that the BF-moms would consider others' feelings when they are BF in public. All I want is a little consideration for those who are uncomfortable with it.

I was told, among many things, that I shouldn't have children, because I don't plan to breastfeed and don't like to see it in public. That was uncalled for. I'm not saying I'm perfect or I have great arguments, but I was attacked as well.

Just found this article: http://www.theusefulbox.com/2011/06/breastfeeding-in-public-taboo-or.html

I will quote the last line: "But, sometimes I choose not to exercise my right to breastfeed in public for the sake of others. I choose not to make others feel uncomfortable for the sake of making a political statement. I think breastfeeding in public is terrific. But I think caring for other people is more terrific."
  • dlei456
    Options

I think both sides have gotten flack. I think that the BF moms were judged not for breastfeeding, but for choosing to do it in a public place. I don't agree with it, sure, but I tried my hardest not to insult anybody who believed the opposite of me. Clearly, it's legal and I'm not going to stop it. When i see it in public, I am uncomfortable, and if I can leave, I do, but I wish that the BF-moms would consider others' feelings when they are BF in public. All I want is a little consideration for those who are uncomfortable with it.

I was told, among many things, that I shouldn't have children, because I don't plan to breastfeed and don't like to see it in public. That was uncalled for. I'm not saying I'm perfect or I have great arguments, but I was attacked as well.

Well, please consider that most breastfeeding moms do NOT want to breastfeed in public because they are super conscious of other people's feelings. Many already have said it, but it is mortifying. A little understanding both ways would help.
  • tlsegar
    Options

[/quote]

Well, you did say that you don't put yourself in situations that make you uncomfortable. And, I have been a young person who was uncomfortable with seeing other people's bodies.

And btw, after living in several places as well, I am in living in the South now!

I am having trouble with quotes! haha!
    [/quote]

I'm not made uncomfortable by discussing or debating with people on the opposite side or learning about different cultures. I think that's necessary to determine what I like or don't. I generally have the attitude that my opinion is my opinion and I'm secure with it. Even if I'm the only person in the room who feels the way I do - and I have been - I'm okay with that. So I don't view discussing opposing views as making me uncomfortable like I would going to a nude beach.

Hope you're enjoying the south. But I have to say, unless you're a dyed in the wool southerner, you're probably not going to pick up on the north vs. south thing. And then it still depends on what southern state you live in.
  • dlei456
    Options

Just found this article: http://www.theusefulbox.com/2011/06/breastfeeding-in-public-taboo-or.html

I will quote the last line: "But, sometimes I choose not to exercise my right to breastfeed in public for the sake of others. I choose not to make others feel uncomfortable for the sake of making a political statement. I think breastfeeding in public is terrific. But I think caring for other people is more terrific."

But, it sounds like the blogger chooses to exercise her right to breastfeed in public as well and probably just as often.

Good luck with all your future plans and hope that they turn out for the best.
  • christine24t
    Options

Well, please consider that most breastfeeding moms do NOT want to breastfeed in public because they are super conscious of other people's feelings. Many already have said it, but it is mortifying. A little understanding both ways would help.

I recall one poster saying they didn't care if it was public or private. But I do understand that the majority of people would rather not do it in public, and that is why breastfeeding rooms or family rooms at stores and malls are becoming more common!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The actual reason women have breasts an nipples is to feed our babies.
    Not for men's enjoyment......
    It's just biology. Nothing gross, or anything else.
    We are mammals.
    If a baby needs feeding they should be fed. In public or elsewhere.
    I used to feed my babies whenever they needed it. It has nothing to do with anything or anyone else.
    I think Some people need to grow up, and get their minds out of the gutter.

In Australia in the 1970's1980's and 1990's most women topless bathed on beaches. it was so commonplace no one thought too much of it. Now most people are concerned with skin Cancer, and pre mature aging so it's not so prevalent, but not too unusual either....
    Breast is Best .........Lol!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I have 3 children and breast fed all of them. I'm all for nature and natural things, but I'm also about modesty. It really won't kill anyone to use a receiving blanket to cover yourself as much as you can. I really didn't like public feeding , but I did it. At a friend or family member's home, I asked to use a bedroom. I always felt that was my private time to bond with my baby. As much as I am modest, but not a prude, I really don't like to see it myself. I feel that modesty keeps everyone more comfortable, just like good manners. It seems in this day and age we don't think about anyone but ourselves and our own feelings. I won't say that you can't "be out-there" in public, but if I see you all plopped out there, I'll probably go quietly somewhere else.

I know it's been said before but using a blanket isn't always an option. My little girl would unlatch if there was a blanket over her head. In the summer would you like a blanket covering your head while you eat? I normally NORMALLY tried to be modest by wearing two shirts, pulling one down, pulling the other up. But in the summer? 90 degree heat? When I'm at the beach? Nah... whip the boob out and that's that. If someon has a problem I have a blanket for THEIR head.

If you were putting the blanket over the baby's head, you were doing it wrong, lol, you're supposed to cover yourself, not the baby, lol!!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options

lol :)

I consider the mother in this pic being modest, what's so bad about that? She's not covering up her baby's head.(in reference to above post)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Don't eat around other people and call it a day. when will this thread die?

What's the difference between a pit bull and this thread? Eventually the pitbull will let go! :bigsmile: