Why are you fat???

Options

Replies

• lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Poor diet. I've been on birth control and anti-depressants, two things known for weight gain. I was also lazy and binged.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Started having kids when I was 18. Started out 135lbs size 7 and ended up 235 and size 20 after 3 kids. I got down to 206lbs last spring then had to stop working because of a tumor in my knee and a condition called pvns. After surgery I couldn't walk for 2 months and I'm still using crutches. I pretty much gained everything back while living with relatives that don't have healthy eating habits and I relied on them to feed me when i couldn't walk or drive to the store or exercise. I may be on crutches and pain killers but I'm back to doing my own shopping and cooking so I can get back on track.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I "was" fat because I love food on a good day, bad day and any day! Hated working out, started to hate myself, hate my life and let myself go and go. Nothing is to blame expect me...
  • Jessicak02
    Jessicak02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well scientifically it boils down to to much in and not enough out (calories that is). I ate to comfort myself.

As for emotionally (and I've only found the answer to this in the past few weeks) that's a whole other story. In 2007 (at 22 years old) I got pregnant with a daughter. She was born in July of 2008 and she was beautiful but she was also very sick. She was born premature with only 1 lung among many other abnormalities We only had 17 days with her before she passed away as she laid in my arms. At first I did nothing but smoke cigarettes to fill my empty time, then I turned to food and a BAD habit was formed. I was subconsciencly helping my body fail because I felt my body had failed my daughter.

I have a second beautiful 2 year old daughter now (and to be honest she saved me, gave me a reason to smile again) but I was already full speed on the road to being overweight. I've lost 9 pounds since starting MVP and 20 in the past 2.5 months. I have recognized and educated myself and I won't turn back now! I'm excited to live a healthy life and teach my daughter the information she'll need to never struggle like I have.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love food.. a lot. I actually used to eat fast food every day and way too much cheese. That plus barely moving from the couch/computer made me fat lol but I am working on it.
  • pokerbarbie13
    Options
    Surprisingly, my pregnancies were not the cause of my weight gain. Only 17lbs with 1st child and 23lbs with 2nd. But I had 3 surgeries on my stomach a year later that destroyed the muscles I'd worked so hard to build. Plus, being Epileptic means that my medicine slows my metabolism to a near halt. One medicine caused me to gain 60lbs in 4 1/2 months! Then I had a really bad car accident that shattered my lower leg and left me laid up for a year. Finally, I was diagnosed with RA. Now with meds at proper levels and a wonderful family & love life, I am ready to get myself when I want to be. I started at 242lbs back in June 2011. Although just finding MFP a few days ago, I am down to 192lbs. 50 ugly pounds gone....50 to go. My fiance' & I are determined to be around as long as possible for each other & our children. Here's to great health!
  • dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why did I get fat?

I fell in love. I got way too comfortable in my relationship.

At my heaviest, I was 148.7. That doesn't sound heavy, but I'm 5'4", Asian and have a relatively small frame. Wish I had "before" pictures to share with everyone. I signed up for mfp after I lost about 27 pounds.
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    feeding my face and not moving my butt enough :(

i had a hysterctomy 5 yrs ago and it depressed me and i let myself go.

Time to take care of me!
  • hlodwig
    hlodwig Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Loving all your honest sharing here.

For me, I simply had nothing to look forward to (poor social life means no one to meet, no event to "look good" for) for a period of time - and that just fueled a couch potato lifestyle.

A poor excuse, of course...!
  • Moodymona
    Moodymona Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i am fat for various reasons pcos is one of them! loving chocolate and junk food is another and being a lazy *kitten* is one too :) but now its all gonna change!!!
  • skarr28
    skarr28 Posts: 98
    Options
    A few reasons. i'll make it quick: It started at age 16. I was 5'9 and 110 lbs. A walking skeleton and I damn sure knew (& hated) it. I read fitness magazines and did the exact OPPOSITE just to I could gain weight. :laugh: I used to even use a ladel as a spoon and ate til I got nauseous, waited a few minutes, then ate again. It worked. In a year I had gained 10 lbs.

Age 19, 164

I have a large frame, 164 is a 'skinny me'. But I have a 'ruler'-shaped body (wide waist, even when boney, and no hips). I wanted curves (boobs. lol). So I ate a bit more.

Age 20, 172 lbs. I felt so fat (but, god, I LOVED my new so-called curves!:drinker: ). All my guy friends said I was sexy. Yay me, right?
    Same year, a few things happened that caused me to not want to be seen as sexy anymore. By the end of the year, I gained 20 lbs.

I was now seen as intimidating, tough, and no man would dare mess with me because I milked comical rumours that I was a fighter, lol.

Steadily, I gained weight (and bravado).

Age 23, college (late bloomer). 216 lbs. Freshman, first semester. Quick and easy meals. I gained 10 lbs within a month. Whoa. My friends started dating people. Everyone seemed to have their eye on someone else besides me. My tough and purposely intimidating exterior worked even when I didn't try! Oops. :ohwell: :embarassed:

Age 24: College, 2nd year. September. I wanted to date, lol. I wanted to feel attractive, to feel worthy of being pursued.:ohwell: I started taking fish oil and walking daily, and did some tae bo. In 2 months, I lost 20 lbs. :bigsmile: People noticed. guys noticed. By the end of the year, I was down to 174. People thought of me as hot. It was like the twilight zone. I wasn't used to it and still saw myself as the one people didn't see as worth it.

Then I moved back to my home town, and the old issues came out again. I didn't like getting hit on, guys flirting with me. I gained back the 30 lbs within 4 months. I soon gained the reputation of not liking it when men hit on me, and "letting them know it." Yep. heh.

Fast-forward February 2011. 206 lbs. I just entered a weight loss challenge. I so had it in the bag (I can be a bit... competitive) as I knew I could gain and lose weight quickly when I try. I was getting over some old issues. I kind of wanted to be thin again, feel strong, run fast, yes, but I still was uncomfortable with the thought of men finding me physically attractive. I didn't lose an ounce.

In fact, from February to August 2011, I gained 30 lbs.

Over the summer, I had met this guy. Awesome guy. I mean, he was all music & wisdom, comedy & quiet charisma. I felt safe with him and he liked me (wth, right?! :laugh: ). Despite my appearance at the time (I looked 12 months pregnant), he looked past it and wanted a relationship with me. But, I had already committed to a teaching gig in India for 6 months. :noway: I FELT pretty when I was with him. :bigsmile:

But, you know, off I went. Off to spicey east-india! I quickly got used to the hot cuisine, it caused me to eat slowly for a change, my meals were mostly vegetables, beans, eggs, fish and goat. I drank water like a fish, within 4 months, lost 40 lbs. (also took CLA/safflower oil). Yay me! :drinker: :bigsmile:

While there, I worked out a few issues and self-esteem problems. Nothing opens your eyes like seeing people in deeper water than you.

My trip got cut short by a month. I came back to Canada with a new perspective of myself. I'd become a lot softer towards people (i mean men, lol). More assertive & diplomatic in my self-preservation (versus aggressive tactics).

Now, today, in 2012, I'm 'fat' only because it takes more than a day to get fit! :bigsmile: I'm a new me and I'm making my body get in sync.

Why am I fat? Yeah, well, it's actually a long story; also, let's not allow the question room for assuming I'm staying this way. :happy:

**and if anyone's wondering what happened to the guy, well, charm is a prettier word for manipulation, and it's gotta be something that stays on the 'do-not-tolerate' list. I don't CARE how well he plays the guitar! :laugh: **
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE CAKE.
  • CaitlinFrost
    Options
    I think it's because as a child i was just overweight, weather it was 'baby fat' or what, I dunno..ANYWAY
    I got used to it and when I finally realized everyone was picking on me and such, I fought back and started an even more unhealthy eating habit, I stopped eating but being an emotional eater, I would start binging, so I switched to Bulimia. Whilst still struggling with bulimic thoughts and the strong want to continue, I am only just coming to grips with how overweight and unhealthy I am.

I want to find out who I am, to feel and look amazing. and I will, without the help of my little friends.

that was prob a bit more then the question asked for xD
  • Galletakek
    Options
    i don't have a good excuse to why D: lol
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    Quit smoking...
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    Oh and got old?
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    One thing only......... fructose
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I lived on junk food as a child, because we couldn't afford anything else. I also had severe asthma that put me in hospital regularly. I had a high metabolism as a kid, so I stayed very skinny then, but the behaviours were being cemented. I learnt early to hate exercise because it sent me to hospital, and I learnt to love junk food (but also to favour McDonalds and eating out because they were once-a-year treats on our household budget. McDonalds was a BIG thing for me - a real reward and something I put on a pedestal due to its rarity).

When I started university, I because best friends with my now fiance, who's morbidly obese. I'd go to his apartment every day and he'd cook pizzas for lunch, huge meals in the evening and then go out for chocolate bars. I followed suit, and I put on the pounds. I'd always been taught it was rude not to eat everything you're given, so I ate thousands of calories a day trying to appear polite, and I went for the junk options because I loved them. I'm now successfully living a healthy lifestyle and losing weight. My fiance is trying, but he's only trying half-heartedly so he keeps giving up. Sometimes, I find that a little hard to deal with now, but I've learnt to live for myself and I take a firm stance about what, and how much, I eat.
  • melonruby
    Options
    Lazy... actually I have been at both ends of the scale. I was anorexic in my late teens. Before that I was a heavy child and was teased alot. Then peer pressure set in and my weight went from 80kg to 43kg and I'mm 170cm tall so it was pretty bad. But anorexia didn't make me happy either. So through the help of my partenr at the time I put weight back on and I guess I never stopped. I've just never found the happy medium.

But now I am determined to make the change for the better. eat better, exercise and make some new friends along the way.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm fat now because of 2 pregnancies where I ate whatever I wanted and gained too much extra weight. Never lost the baby fat and my kids are 13 and 11 now. Too many years of not exercising regularly, working full-time, being a mommy, smoking, drinking, eating more, and no real fitness goals. I was happy to just exist and live and complain about my weight, but never do anything about it.

Now I have changed my life in many ways. I left a VERY unhappy relationship and became a single mom, found love again and the joy of dining out.

So now I am changing again to focus on me. I have fitness goals, quit smoking, started a new career path, enjoying my happiness and trying to improve my overall health. Both physically and mentally.

So that is my 20 year "why am I fat" story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!