Nudity - and your children

Options

Replies

• sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also grew up in a house with one bathroom and saw my parents naked quite a bit. I turned out just fine with no psychological damage from seeing my parents naked. Once I got older (12-13) I knew to just walk away and talk to them threw the door or whatever, but it was no big deal.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Another thing: we use the correct terminology in our house. Because when you're 16 and going to your first gynecological appointment and you've never referred to it as anything but a "woo-woo," it makes the doctor visit even more uncomfortable than it is to begin with. It took me YEARS to be able to say "vagina" without blushing. How ridiculous. Penis and vagina and breast are not dirty words. Why do we teach our children that they are?
    Did she say that?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Another thing: we use the correct terminology in our house. Because when you're 16 and going to your first gynecological appointment and you've never referred to it as anything but a "woo-woo," it makes the doctor visit even more uncomfortable than it is to begin with. It took me YEARS to be able to say "vagina" without blushing. How ridiculous. Penis and vagina and breast are not dirty words. Why do we teach our children that they are?
    Did she say that?

No, but when you avoid the words, it does make it seem like the words are wrong somehow. And I was simply contrasting those words with the real ones, and why WE use the real words.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think its completely normal and fine. I have three boys and the older two (4 and 7) are often barging into the bathroom while I'm showering and yanking back the curtain to tell me something... usually to tattle on the other one.

this makes me laugh! this is my house exactly!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Did she say that?

No, but when you avoid the words, it does make it seem like the words are wrong somehow. And I was simply contrasting those words with the real ones, and why WE use the real words.

FYI we use the correct terminology as well and i have never ever almost accidentally asked my gyno to examine my woo woo. Im 37.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Did she say that?

FYI we use the correct terminology as well and i have never ever almost accidentally asked my gyno to examine my woo woo. Im 37.

Ohhhhhkay... first of all, when you use "winkers and woo-woos" in your post, it kind of makes it seem like that's what you call them at home. Secondly, I didn't say, "Hey you dummy, you shouldn't use those words, you should use the right ones." I explained why WE use the correct terminology in our house, because your post made me think of that. It goes back to what I said earlier in this thread about communicating with your children about their bodies, so I mentioned it. I wasn't trying to start crap with you or anybody, I was just discussing the topic at hand.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Did she say that?

Aw, boomboom... you wouldn't let the doctor see your woo woo?? :embarassed:
  • boomboom011
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Did she say that?

and i personally find penis and vagina boring. we like to keep it light and fun in my house. But hey to each his own. You can have your penis and vaginas and we will have our winkers and woo-woos. Also MY ENTIRE family, extended family, husbands, wives, cousins aunts and uncles say WOO WOOS AND WINKERS! But we also like to have fun too. Shameful
  • boomboom011
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Did she say that?

Ohhhhhkay... first of all, when you use "winkers and woo-woos" in your post, it kind of makes it seem like that's what you call them at home. Secondly, I didn't say, "Hey you dummy, you shouldn't use those words, you should use the right ones." I explained why WE use the correct terminology in our house, because your post made me think of that. It goes back to what I said earlier in this thread about communicating with your children about their bodies, so I mentioned it. I wasn't trying to start crap with you or anybody, I was just discussing the topic at hand.

that is what we call them at home. but when necessary we say vagina and penis too. we do say *kitten* alot too. there really isnt another word for that is there?
  • ajbeans
    Options

and i personally find penis and vagina boring. we like to keep it light and fun in my house. But hey to each his own. You can have your penis and vaginas and we will have our winkers and woo-woos. Also MY ENTIRE family, extended family, husbands, wives, cousins aunts and uncles say WOO WOOS AND WINKERS! But we also like to have fun too. Shameful

Come on now, I wasn't attacking you. There's no need to get so sarcastic or imply that we don't have fun just because we use the words penis and vagina. I'm glad you all have a good time.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    "winkers" and "woo-woos"
    Did she say that?

Aw, boomboom... you wouldn't let the doctor see your woo woo?? :embarassed:

i know, bad boomboom bad. i will however let the gyno view my vagina.
  • ajbeans
    Options

that is what we call them at home. but when necessary we say vagina and penis too. we do say *kitten* alot too. there really isnt another word for that is there?

Yep. "*kitten*." But I tend to save that one for when my kids are being buttholes and I need to let them know. :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

:drinker: *kitten*... All I can think of is when I taught my son how to correctly say Uranus...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    It's kind of funny to me how many people are... naked people. Who knew? I don't fold laundry, do any household chores, etc., when naked. Shower direct to robe direct to clothes. But I don't particularly like catching my naked backside in the mirror :cry:
  • ajbeans
    Options
    It's kind of funny to me how many people are... naked people. Who knew? I don't fold laundry, do any household chores, etc., when naked. Shower direct to robe direct to clothes. But I don't particularly like catching my naked backside in the mirror :cry:

It's kind of funny to me that I consider myself fairly prudish, but we're not concerned about being naked at home. Naked's ok. I don't want to sit on my couch naked, but that's mostly because I get cold. :laugh:
  • boomboom011
    Options

im with you on this. not my most flattering side.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yes. Heaven forbid we should have a laugh here.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    we do say *kitten* alot too. there really isnt another word for that is there?
    We all know the real word, but we use "poopmaker" just for fun.
  • odusgolp
    Options

It's kind of funny to me that I consider myself fairly prudish, but we're not concerned about being naked at home. Naked's ok. I don't want to sit on my couch naked, but that's mostly because I get cold. :laugh:

ditto *LOL*
  • odusgolp
    Options
    we do say *kitten* alot too. there really isnt another word for that is there?
    We all know the real word, but we use "poopmaker" just for fun.

It's more a poopshooter than a poopmaker... but I'm catchin what you're throwin there, EEG ;-)