Words that Should be Banned for 2012

Options

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    "just sayin'"

Yes, dear god. This should be banned. There is no reason to say "just sayin" after you have said something. We know you are "just sayin" it because you just said it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    "just sayin'"

Yes, dear god. This should be banned. There is no reason to say "just sayin" after you have said something. We know you are "just sayin" it because you just said it.

It means you can say anything rude before it.

An example of an out of date phrase with a similar application would be, 'I'm not racist, but... '
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    loose.....loose some weight ARRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

lose loose
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    1. weigh to go
    2. tomorrow is a new day; there's always tomorrow; start new tomorrow (or any variation of this phrase)
    3. fell off the wagon
    4. I know, right?!

Okay - so they're not just words - they're entire phrases, but I can't stand them!
    (guilty of saying "weigh to go" to my MFP friends who post weight loss)
  • SetecAstronomy
    Options
    What is GM?
    General Mills, makers of fine cereals such as Lucky Charms and...

...hm?...that's not it?... oh...

General Motors, makes of fine automobiles such as...

...that's not it either?...grr....

Good Morning?

Yeah that's the one...
  • SetecAstronomy
    Options
    "just sayin'"

(also guilty of overusing the phrase "I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.")
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What is GM?
    General Mills, makers of fine cereals such as Lucky Charms and...

...hm?...that's not it?... oh...

General Motors, makes of fine automobiles such as...

...that's not it either?...grr....

Good Morning?

Yeah that's the one...

It's genetically modified.
  • SetecAstronomy
    Options
    If I had to ban a phrase for 2012, and unfortunately I also overuse this one thanks to my supervisor, it would be:

"What up, yo?"

Again, thanks to my supervisor, this three-word (and I use the term loosely...or is that lose-ly) phrase is ingrained in my psyche. I say it sometimes as a reflex and not even realize I said it until it's been brought to my attention.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    HATE

Such a negative word - everytime someone starts a post with "I hate......" cardio, eggs, vegetables, exercise........ I just cringe

Time to start using positive affirmations rather than the H word - you might get much better results that way.....

Well we are 3 hours 15 minutes away from 2012 here in New Zealand - so here is to a fabulous 2012 for you all!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of "epic" (because of my "hubby" saying it all the time) and "just sayin'".

Another one I can't stand is "that's what she said."

It's kind of funny to see what words/phrases bother people. Some of them drive me nuts, too, while others I never would have even thought to be annoying to anyone.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    epic
    fail

even worse when they are used in the same sentence!

Fail just pisses me off. If my husband or his friend tell me one more time that I have failed at something - I'm going to punch them in the face.
  • dietkix
    Options
    "I can't..." ugh, hate that one, because YES, YOU CAN!
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    Options
    Phenomenal (lmao) & Hubby Hubby Hubby (lmao)
  • SetecAstronomy
    Options
    Every time I hear "phenomenal" I keep thinking of that sketch from The Muppets...

Phenomenal...doo doooo doo-doo-doo....
    Phenomenal...doo doo-doo doo...
    Phenomenal...doo doooo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doodoodoodoodoo doo doo doo-doo doo
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear "phenomenal" I keep thinking of that sketch from The Muppets...

Phenomenal...doo doooo doo-doo-doo....
    Phenomenal...doo doo-doo doo...
    Phenomenal...doo doooo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doodoodoodoodoo doo doo doo-doo doo

My Friend Kills this word...Committohealth...bahahahhaha
  • momofacacia
    Options
    I am surprised at how many people use the word "loose" instead of "lose". My pet hate! :happy:

I agree with you on this one! Big difference between lose and loose. :happy:
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    These type of logs should be banned: Burned 200 cals "doing hair":huh: Come on Fitness Pals
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Totes... Are people so lazy that they are unable to finish their words?

I'm totes guilty of "just sayin'" ;)

People actually say that in place of "totally"?? Wow... :noway:

thats what i thought! lol i was thinking "wait isnt that a type of handbag?" or where i come from people "tote things" as in "yall come help me tote these groceries into the house"
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    "Can't" is the one that gets me. My kids say "I can't..." A lot and i always reply " there's no such thing as can't" then I realise I sound like my mum!!

You rock always bugs me too I think its an American thing as I've never heard anyone say it except for on here!
  • Kim_08
    Kim_08 Posts: 157
    Options
    'Legit' annoys me too. I have a friend that uses it all the time and it's gotten to where she just throws it into a random sentence.. doesn't even make sense!