50+ Women for the Month of March

Options

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Kathy..so glad that Bosco is doing better.

Kay..if you need some encouragement or someone to listen to you while you are recouping then I may be the person. I had surgery two weeks ago. I can't do anything for another four weeks and am watching the scales go up.:mad:

I intend on stopping the junk food completely. Because of being laid up I have had to eat whatever is offered to me. You would not believe the hospital food. Full of fats !!! I couldn't touch it. Just the thought of it make me feel sick.

I know that we shouldn't weigh ourselves more often than once a week but I have found that if I do it everyday then I know if I am on track or not.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Welcome to all the new members:flowerforyou: We are glad you joined us

I just finished the Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD (55 minutes) and enjoying a nice healthy lunch of raw veggies, cheese and healthy nuts. I plan on going for a walk this afternoon to enjoy the chilly but somewhat sunny day.

Sounds like all of us are staying on track and doing the best that we can:flowerforyou: Sometimes ladies it can be one day at a time and sometimes even one step at a time. Remember above else that you are not alone in this quest for you have many friends who share your journey and have or will walk in the same direction:heart:

I have never let my age determine what or who I am:happy: In fact I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up:wink: Granted the scale moves a little slower but I know that anything I put my mind to is something that I can/will accomplish as long as I give the best of my ability. Granted there are/can be obstacles that make the journey challenging but things always work out for a reason. Thank heavens I inherited my father:heart: stamina when at 92 years young said he never wanted to join any senior's group because "they were too old for him" Not that there is anything wrong that those who do join any seniors' groups!

I was ecstatic to step on the scale this morning and discover that I have shed those 4 pesky lbs that followed me home from vacation:blushing: . So in 10 days I added 4 lbs but in 7 days I dropped them. The troubling thing is that I have not dropped any other lbs in the last 2 months. I have been reevaluating my intake and exercising and now think that I might be working out too hard. I will play around with that and see if that helps. I am not beating myself up about the scale not moving for in fact I know that I am getting stronger and healthier and that is my ultimate goal.

Have a great day everyone....cheers:drinker: :drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    healthier4me...I am so glad that you lost the pounds that you had put on. I have found that if we gain a couple they come off easier then the first time.

I have eaten healthy today: Special K for breakfast, an apple for a snack, cottage cheese with three low fat crackers for lunch. I also went shopping with my daughters and did a lot of walking. Too much, really.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been away for a couple of weeks. I've been kind of down in the dumps and didn't want to face my failure in my eating and weight loss. I am back and hopefully I am back on track. I have read several of the previous pages and thank you to those of you who sent your good wishes.

I didn't get that bug I thought I was getting but ended up with a week long migrane. :sick: Needless to say looking at a computer screen was not on the top of my list and trying to focus on eating healthy was even farther down on the list. I'm hoping that I can rejoin you all each day and be accountable.

:flowerforyou: You all are doing so well - just by showing up each day is an accomplishment. I will continue to read to catch up on everyone and hopefully I can be an encouragement to someone else now!

:wink: Welcome to all the newbies. I know you will get encouragement here on this thread.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Esther
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hi Esther,

I just got back from the dog park and I was thinking of you while the dogs were running and had decided that I would send you a message as soon as I got home, so I was delighted to see your post. We've missed you. That migraine sounds rough. I don't get them but I have a friend who does and I know how much they knock her out. I'm glad you're back on track.

I'll write more later
    gotta jump in the shower and get dressed in my new smaller clothes:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

but first a glass of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Welcome back Esther--I have a co-worker who was off of work for a week due to a migraine. And another one who takes prescription meds for hers.

I had a piece of pie for lunch:mad: I know I shouldn't have. I have my son and his family staying the weekend to help put in our new water heater. My house is a mess and I am getting stressed.:frown:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Today I got on the scale officially and declared that I've lost one more pound.:bigsmile: Yippee!

Yes, I get on the scale a lot (it's a compulsion) but since I weighed last on the 15th (the middle of the month) I decided to make Sunday's my official weigh in day from now on.

I wore my new thin pants and shirt last night to the Vietnamese restaurant and stayed with my plan of what to eat except that the owner brought out a salad (lettuce with a special dressing) and I ate my share. I stayed away from the deep fried spring rolls and very sweet (very yummy) coffee that everyone else was having.:bigsmile:

This morning I packed up another two bags of size 16 and extra large clothing and go it ready to take to the thrift shop tomorrow.

My goals today
    ride the exercise bike while watching a movie, water:drinker: :drinker: and not forget that today is my strength training day (I can do that while watching the movie).

Becky, today is my husband's cleanse day (no food, just special cleanse drink and snacks) and the first thing I thought of was to eat something I don't normally eat just because I was cooking for only myself. I can stick with the healthy stuff when making a meal for two, but alone I lean toward my old ideas. Congrats to you for starting back to the healthy eating that will be so good for you.:flowerforyou: The longest journey starts with a single step. Good luck on your journey.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Big hugs to all of you:bigsmile: :heart: :drinker: :love:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Hey Barbie...I find it just the opposite. If I have to cook for someone else then it is harder for me to not eat with them. If it is only me then I don't have the other stuff to tempt me. I am the only one here who is trying to eat healthy.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have not been on the post. Thanks to all for thinking of Bosco:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

We had some sad news this week end. My husbands brothers son of 38 died suddenly. My husband had drifted apart from his brother and was heart broken when he found out. So we have been reuniting and it has been helping with the shock and sadness.

Hope all are doing well and I will get back to you all soon.

:heart: Kathy
  • BarbG
    BarbG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kathy, Sorry about your family's loss. Hopefully this will keep your husband & his brother reunited.

Well Folks, I started off yesterday really messing up (I was a little stressed out) but got back on track and finished the day eating better. Got busy cleaning up my home office, it may take me years, but at least I got started.

Weighed in yesterday, lost a few lbs so I felt good about that, but I didn't log my food. But, hey, today is a new day!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hope you all have much success today & welcome to the Newbies.
    Barb
    148992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Kathy, so sorry to hear about your nephew. It is so shocking at such a young age. My condolences to your family.
    Esther, hope you're feeling better. Hopefully, you'll find it a little easier to stay on track.
    I just really haven't found my groove yet, but I'm not giving up. You ladies really push me to keep going. Age is not an excuse (I do think it raises some roadblocks tho :ohwell: ).
    I hope everyone has a good day. With all the bad news out there and Kathy's family's recent loss, I try to remind myself of everything I have to be grateful for and to put everything in perspective. Hopefully, that will reduce the mindless/emotional eating.
    Zaza
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning

Kathy - My sympathy to you and your family. I'm glad your husband can be there for his brother. Also glad that Bosco is doing better

Barbiecat - I'm not the grandma - I am the mommy:laugh: Yep that's me the late bloomer. My son is 16 and my daughter is 13 so I'm hoping I'm not a grandma anytime soon!!
    Well my weigh in was a bummer. I was up 1.5 - I know its due to the evil girl stuff cycle but still it's a bummer to see a different number than you want to see on the scale. :grumble:

I went to see Duplicity on Saturday night - not one kernel of popcorn - Yay me!!!

My heels are just killing me. I try to force myself to walk even if it hurts by its getting worse so I will have to stop the longer walks and just stick to the elliptical and dvd's.

My goals today:
    Water and more water
    salad for supper
    get my taxes together
    move my ample bottom more

Hope everyone has a good and active day

Heather
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Kathy, I am so sorry. I sort of know how you feel. I lost a nephew at age 23 two months ago in an automobile accident. So tragic when they are so young.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Oh Kathy - my heart goes out to you and your family:heart: It's just the worst to have to lay to rest one so young. Hopefully the reconcilliation between your husband and his bro will continue.

Heather - why do your heels hurt - omg, do you have plantar fasciitis? And if you do i don't think you should be pushing yourself through the pain. I had that and it was AWFUL. I struggled with it for 4 years. Let me know if that's what you have.

Zaza - i SO agree with you about feeling grateful. I try and do it every day. I'm so fortunate to have great health, healthy kids, a good job, a great place to live just to mention a few of the things.

BarbG - i'm so impressed that you started the day off bad and got back on track! It seems like if i start the day off bad (foodwise) i'm off to a running start and just can't stop! Good for you!

I thought i did all right with food and exercise all week except yesterday - i went to a jewelry party and ended up eating a piece of cake. So my regular weigh in was this morning and i gained a pound:sad:
    bummer. I know it gets harder when you don't have that much to loose - and i'm down to between 5 and 7 pounds but still.........it SUCKS to gain. Hopefully next week i'll have a loss. Thanks for listening! Happy Monday everyone - have a great day:flowerforyou: elli
  • Grammymax
    Options

BarbG - i'm so impressed that you started the day off bad and got back on track! It seems like if i start the day off bad (foodwise) i'm off to a running start and just can't stop! Good for you!

:flowerforyou: elli
    I agree with elli - if I start bad I end up worse. Good for you Barb for getting back on track so quickly. Today is a new day!

Kathy - so sorry to hear of your loss. You will be in my prayers.

Has anyone read or followed Dr. Ian Smith's 4 day diet. I know - it sounds like you're supposed to lose your weight in 4 days but it's actually 4 days of one module and then 4 days of another module and so on (I think there are 6 modules, or maybe more). I'm finding that it's way too little calories but before I realized that I thought coming from a doctor it would be a good plan. I do like a lot of his ideas and reasonings but not sure I'm going to follow the plan. Anyone have any input?

Hope you all have a great day and drink that water:drinker: , eat those veggies, and move those bodies! :laugh:

Esther
  • PDraxten
    PDraxten Posts: 8
    Options
    I will be 50 in December :sad: I just started this website last week . I am at 167 pounds and would one day like to be at 130. My goals are 1 pound a week to start with and I am finding that to evenn be a challange,,, Geez what happened?? the pounds use to fall off with exercise now I feel I have ot work twice as hard to get half the results... HELP !!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Esther, I have never heard of Dr. Ian Smith's 4 day diet. It might work for a quick start but it probably is not something you can live on for life. These short diets are alright for a fast weight loss as long as we do not stay on them very long. We have to change our eating habits for life to stay thin and healthy. Let us know if you do try it and how it works.

PDraxten..The older we get the harder it is to lose those unwanted pounds. I lose 55 pounds back when I was in my 40s without any problems. They just fell off with healthy eating. Now, however, I am struggling. I will lose three pounds to find them again the next week. Stay with us and we will do this together.
  • Grammymax
    Options
    I will be 50 in December :sad: I just started this website last week . I am at 167 pounds and would one day like to be at 130. My goals are 1 pound a week to start with and I am finding that to evenn be a challange,,, Geez what happened?? the pounds use to fall off with exercise now I feel I have ot work twice as hard to get half the results... HELP !!!!

What happened is you got older - but, that is not an excuse as ZaZa said earlier. Just a little harder to get those pounds off. I do know that the weight training is more important for us now for our bone health as well. I have about the same weight loss goals. We CAN DO THIS.

Glad you found this thread. It is full of encouraging women who share the same struggles and when we need encouragement this is the place to come!

Happy Monday.
    Esther
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Esther, I have never heard of Dr. Ian Smith's 4 day diet. It might work for a quick start but it probably is not something you can live on for life. These short diets are alright for a fast weight loss as long as we do not stay on them very long. We have to change our eating habits for life to stay thin and healthy. Let us know if you do try it and how it works.
    Becky,

I did the first four days and today is the 1st of the 2nd module. But, I am sooooooo hungry because there isn't enough food in a day so I am going back to eating healthy but I still like some of his theories. He is the doctor on the Celebrity Fit Club and the way they work those people I thought the food plan would have been better. Yesterday I was WAY under on the calorie intake and I know that isn't good.

Esther
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I am glad that you are changing your plan. Yes, take the good that the program offers but keep your body from going into starvation mode.