WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well made it thru the week, it has been a long busy week. I just finished reading 6 pages of posts and did not take any notes. I am happy for all the new grandchildren. I love the pictures and I just found out I will become a grandmother in August. I am really looking forward to it.
    I am keeping many of you in my prayers. I wish I could give you a big hug.
    I have a busy weekend which is following the busy week. I am the coach of a LEGO Robotics team and we have a regional competition tomorrow, that will last most of the day. The students had to build a robot out of LEGOS, program it to do various missions, and do research, getting all of the last minute details and practice done has kept us busy after school most of the week.
    Several have been making great progress, that's terrific. I figure any loss of inches or pounds even as little as .2 pounds is great progress.
    Well off to bed, tomorrow will be a long busy day, take care all
    KC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I love your Curly!! Trying to post a pic of my rough-coat Jack Russell........having problems, the pic isn't right, have to figure it out....
  • jb_2011
    Options
    Here he is!! Had to resize the pic in photobucket
    DSC00043-1.jpg
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Love the doggy photo's - so cuuuuute.

:happy: I have lost 1.5 lbs Yeaaay. Now the hard part is keeping it off!!

:yawn: Had a lie in this morning, so the dogs are raring to go, they've usually had their walk by now. Talking of walking better get my boots on I can hear dd running down the stairs so looks like she is ready to go too :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Have a good Saturday everyone. I'll try and pop back later just wanted to mark my spot.

xx
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    1960lisa:flowerforyou:
    How lucky your dog is to be adopted! He is so cute and HUGE! He just looks like he is a fun, fur ball! He actually seems to be smiling at you. Thank goodness for people like you that will adopt an older dog. They usually have their own baggage, but all in all just want to be loved!:heart:

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Lisa your dog is adoreable!! Enjoy!! Happy Weekend. Busy weekend for my crew. Crossing fingers and toes that I stay on track. Never made it the gym yesterday. Hope the deal is as good as it looks.

Good luck every one!
  • DarleneBDA
    DarleneBDA Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi all... i am new to the forums and was looking for support from people more my age.. and saw this group, I am 48 and would love to join... is this ok
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning girls,

yesterday was a very busy day, off to see apartments to move too....i did very well with my logging , workout and keeping the green number high(i am trying a method called OLIVIA METHOD...you can search on MFP for detalis)my workouts are great not including today and sunday i have a little over 7 hours logged, so i will end the week with 10 hours most likely....i am going to the gym and do some biking, or spinning(both spinning classes this morning gets very full very quickly)then #2 and#3 sons are going to help me in the garage, i think i will wear my HRM just for fun....i have to roscoe to the vet for his shot(ADDISON diease)every 25 days....then before my #2son comes over i want to make the muffins that jb_2011 share the recipe.....hope you all have a lovely day:flowerforyou:

@barbie....i finished listening to the THIN COMMANDMENTS, and thanks so much for the suggestion...i am listening to it again, i also get distracked when at the gym....also want to mentioned that you are an inspriation to me...thank you

@mixdoubles...enjoy the auto show,..you will be doing lots of walking there for sure

@msh0530....YAY!!!for leftovers

@genealace....happy to hear that DBF is doing better...i wish him a speedy recovery and please take care of yourself

@jb_2011...how WONDERFUL that you are happy with your outfit.....lovely

@vypeters....yay for the HRM...i love seeing the numbers...enjoy...virginia, congratulations on the measurements....58" lost amazing.....i admire your dedication

@cindyw7...hope your brother received a good report....as well for your brother's girlfriend

@scompton54....sarah, i am sorry you were in a funk earlier...but like you i believe coming here and sharing has minimize the length of my funkiness...glad you are feeling better

@jaks97....my breakfast is an egg white on a tortilla and it travels very well, you wrap it up like a burito....if you dont like eggs whites, regular eggs will do and you can add some more protein in the eggs

@westernjoy...WONDERFUL news...happy your knees are feeling bette..

@1960lisa...love curly is he very cute, and so is your son(i am guessing he's the one in the pic)

@kckramp.....your LEGO ROBOTICS sounds very interesting and exciting...and YES any loss is wonderful

@jb_2011....what a sweet face...we have 2 jacks....os BTW...i will be making your muffin recipe today..thanks

@wizzywig...YAY!!!1.5lbs great

@chicletgirl21....i am so sorry for what you are going through with your mother.....but so happy that you have someone to share your life with...(HUGS)
  • realpure
    Options

Also measured myself this evening. I've lost:

2.5" off my neck
    3.5" off my bicep
    15.5" off my chest
    19" off my waist
    12.5" off my hips
    5" off my thigh

A total of 58" lost!!!

Chiclet - {{hugs}} I'm sorry your Mom seems to have given up. Please remember to take care of yourself as well!

Have a great weekend all. About to test out my HRM, then we'll give it the big test tomorrow if the weather holds.

Virginia

PS: What's the best way to find the new thread in February?

Virginia! Amazing results. 19" off your waist. Incredible! I need to take more measurements.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yea the weekend is here. Got up this morning and stepped on WII, did my body test, when I started 22 days ago, my body age was :sad: 73 today my body age was 56 ( I am 57) but my head thinks I am still 25. Was happy that WII said I had lost 1.8 lbs since last weigh in and BMI has dropped .69% My scale doesn't reflect that but I will take it. If I can find a good exercise routine and timing, this will move a lot faster I am sure. I feel different, so I need to measure because in certain areas I feel (skinnier):)

Today going to the Carter outlet to buy new clothes for the New Granddaughter due in April, saw the cutest things online hoping they have them in store if not home to order online. Then come home and put together the bassinet, my DIL asked for one and only told me not her mom, so I was happy to shop for that.

Virginia* You are definitely an inspiration, I need to find my tape measure, last time I saw it my grandson had it in his toybox guess I will be cleaning out his toybox, or just go buy another one.

Sherry
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had a phone call this morning from DBF, so I guess he is feeling much better. He asked if I could find his toothbrush when I go in today. I'd asked him a couple of days ago if he wanted it, and he wasn't interested, so another step forward. He'd had his "so called breakfast" (his words), and had a wash to he was feeling more chipper.

Will see if his brother wants to go for a little visit today, if not I can take him tomorrow.

Must go to his apartment and check the mail and also go to my GF's house and check that all is ok there too. Then I can put my feet up for a while this afternoon.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Happy Saturday folks ..........

Just logging all the food and my cleaning hours for exercise has motivated me no end. Not quite sure if I'm ready to "Do" more yet!

:noway: The mouse saga .....
    We baited the traps again last night....1 had peanut butter (I mentioned yesterday that it was delicious!!) and 1 had my chocolate cake. The little devil ate the peanut butter for main course and didn't spring the trap! But his quest for pudding was his downfall!! My cake was delicious ..:bigsmile: .but he didn't get to find that out!! thank goodness he's caught!!

Have a great weekend eveyone ..........:flowerforyou: Welcome davetecsgirl too. Join in and get healthy with all these "Losers"!!!

Take care All
    Jackie
  • jb_2011
    Options
    Hey Pam, let me know how the muffins turn out. And tell me about your jacks sometime. I just love those lil rascals. A lady once told me that they're so smart they could learn to read, haha! My blue heeler is just as intelligent, maybe more! Never seen anything like it - those two boys are both such smarty pants. My heeler sniffs my shoes when I'm getting dressed, it's as if he knows exactly where I'm going by which ones I put on. If it's the "going to the park" shoes, he goes over to the front door and waits for his leash. If it's the "going to work" shoes he heads to his bed and takes a snooze. Too funny.

Last night's music recital went very well, I'm a proud teacher! It was so funny though, one of the grandmothers (who hasn't seen me since I've lost weight) said she didn't recognize me and thought it might the glasses I was wearing LOL! It was so cute. Another mom looked me up and down and said Wow, you're just disappearing! It was so nice getting some compliments.

Salad Sistas are continuing on today, even though it's the weekend. I'll be making 3 Bean Salad which makes a nice topping for greens, and is great just by itself. 3 cans of reduced-sodim beans, all rinsed & drained - garbanzos, red kidneys, green beans, mixed with 1 T. olive oil, 3 T. minced red onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 T. sugar. Keeps well in the fridge for days.

Happy weekend!
    :^) jb
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello happy Saturday :happy:

No exercise yesterday, called it a rest day and I was feeling (in a good way) my weight workout from Thursday. However, the Rec Center offers a spin class on Fridays from 4-5 that is included in my membership and I am going to try it next week. I am amazed at how easy it is to resist eating any of the Friday night pizzas I buy or make for the boys, but I am not going to give up my red wine, :blushing: so I need to compensate for the calories one way or another. Any wise words on what to expect at a spin class?

We're going south today (that's into the USA, we live about 10 km from the border) to get some building supplies from the "big stores" down in Sandpoint. We often pick up groceries too, and DH likes to look for the exotic things we can't get here. Yokes has an amazing seafood section, so we will be having something along that line for dinner tonight.

Pedometer –Whoah Barbie, 23,000 steps. At first I thought you had slipped an extra zero in there by mistake. :bigsmile: I have not used mine recently because I’ve got all those other ways of measuring exercise, but I think I’ll strap it on one day next week and see how many KM I walk in a day. Elementary school teachers don’t sit down very often! I like the idea of stickers on the calendar too!

Realpure – do you have a pedometer? I’ll bet you put in a lot of steps keeping up with your children. How old are they? I had my daughter the year of my 30th birthday, my son when I was 40 (didn’t really plan to have then 10 years apart but, hey, things happen) and bought a dog the year I turned 50. I keep warning DH he’d better tie me down when I turn 60! :ohwell:

Left over Mary – Your husband is blessed to have someone who takes such good care of him and cooks wonderful meals. I hope he appreciated his left-overs!

Watery Zucchini no more! :drinker: Thanks for the tip, Sarah. Knowing a chef does come in handy at times! I will try my pasta-free lasagna again with roasted zucchini between the layers. When I read Chklet’s story and other comments from our friends in the US about their medical expenses I feel particularly blessed to be Canadian and, as much as we complain about it, know that our medical system will take care of us when we need it most.

Genealace: Good to hear DBF is getting better. Sounds like a typical Ottawa winter to me, hope spring comes early this year.

Jb_2011 – so glad to hear the recital went well and you felt good inside and out. :flowerforyou: Now I understand the guitar picture on your ticker. I got my first comment on weight loss on Thursday. The trainer at the gym who set up my exercise program last June watched me doing squats with a 3 kg medicine ball. She said “You’re looking good” I said “I’m feeling strong” She said, “No, you’re looking really good, how much weight have you lost?” Zipideedoda! :bigsmile:

Virginia you are going to have so much fun with that HRM, it’s a great motivator. :smile:

Breakfast food? Why does it have to be different from any other time of the day food? Grilled cheese sandwiches are a favorite morning food around here. One of our favorite breakfast places when we were travelling was in Turkey – hard boiled eggs, olives, cheese and tea.

Sherry I love the idea of “body age” and congratulations on going from 73 to 56! I wonder how old I am?

Snap, crackle, done! Jackie – mouse free. :laugh: Serves it right for wanting to eat cake.

JB, that 3 bean salad sounds like the one we love from a local restaurant and I’ve been trying to copy it for years. I’ll try your combination this weekend. I have some corn that I froze last fall, think I’ll add that too for colour and flavour. Maybe some cilantro? Oh Ah. Yum. Drifting to the Mexican side. :happy:

Love all the dog pictures. :smile: Maybe I'll get a glamour shot of Buster the Poodle with the peanut size brain and post it here for y'all to smile at.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • debsgallery
    Options
    Hi I am 61 and just started 20 days ago. Nice to see such posts about food ,exercise and weight loss. You all are an inspiration to me. I do have a question, I am always under my calorie amount at the end of the day but I stay hungry all the time. Will I go into starvation mode (not losing cause my body thinks I am starving) if I stay hungry all the time?
  • realpure
    Options
    Hello happy Saturday :happy:

Realpure – do you have a pedometer? I’ll bet you put in a lot of steps keeping up with your children. How old are they? I had my daughter the year of my 30th birthday, my son when I was 40 (didn’t really plan to have then 10 years apart but, hey, things happen) and bought a dog the year I turned 50. I keep warning DH he’d better tie me down when I turn 60! :ohwell:

Nancy

Hi Nancy,
    Thank you for the shout out. I don't have a pedometer. Sounds like they are great to have. We have a 6 year old son and a 12 year old daughter. I was almost 43 when I had my son. He keeps me young for sure. Lots to keep up with at 50! We didn't plan a 6 year gap either, but I feel so lucky to have them both! I hang out with mostly 30 somethings because of my kids ages. That has an impact too. Most of them are very active. I sleep very well....... must be my day job! ;-)

Sarah
  • realpure
    Options
    Hi I am 61 and just started 20 days ago. Nice to see such posts about food ,exercise and weight loss. You all are an inspiration to me. I do have a question, I am always under my calorie amount at the end of the day but I stay hungry all the time. Will I go into starvation mode (not losing cause my body thinks I am starving) if I stay hungry all the time?

Hi, Welcome. I'm pretty new too. I have heard that it is important to eat all your calories. I think it especially hard for women over 50 to keep from going into starvation mode. I have learned to eat more earlier in the day. I added protein drinks 1 time a day, which add calories and keep me full longer. Still playing with what works. This is such a nice group of girls. Hope you come back often.

Sarah
  • jb_2011
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! I worried about starvation mode when I first started, too. There were weeks when I was under in calories every day and didn't lose an ounce. I finally figured out that I was eating too much, plain and simple. There are no set rules, really, since everyone's a little different in how they lose weight. It does take time to figure out what works best, but I don't think it's wise to feel hungry all the time. You'll eventually get used to eating less but letting yourself get too hungry can cause binge eating. Be sure to drink lots of water and fix really healthy meals for yourself with plenty of protein. Nuts keep you feeling full, too. Plan out your foods for the day, making sure to eat often enough to keep those hunger pangs at bay. How much under are your calories each day?

:^) jb
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sure do love the sleeping in on Saturdays!

After reading the posts boy is everyone busy.

Chiclet - so sorry you are struggling with your Mom's lack of incentive to want to get better. I remember when my Mom was doing the same thing after she had broken her pelvis, the difference was I was 1,000 miles away and had to 'scold' her over the phone to get her motivated to do the physical therapy. She did manage to stay in the rehab place for the full 120 days before we moved her to the Adult Foster home where she lived for the next 4 1/2 months before she passed. The interesting thing was that her doctor had said that she was very "healthy" her heart and all, which I couldn't understand when she was at least 150# overweight and what she finally succumed to was a heart attack.

So last night we went to friends house for dinner, the food was wonderful, had two glasses of wine after not overeating since I restarted the 3rd of this month....was NOT happy with that bloated feeling this AM:sad:

This afternoon we head to #3 S & DIL's to spend the night at their apartment in what they call their personal B & B... they invite friends usually and decided to invite the parents this time...they will feed us dinner and then breakfast "in bed"...our check out time is noon tomorrow. The good thing about this is that my DIL knows I'm watching what I'm eating so she will cook accordingly, plus they attend a "Boot Camp" for their work outs...they are really into being healthy:drinker:

Congrats to those of you that have lost:flowerforyou: Virginia 19" off the waist WOW:noway:

Welcome to those that have found this thread:flowerforyou: It's a great place to get all kinds of encouragement.

Must go have to fit in some exercise before I clean up and pack a small suitcase for our overnight in the north end of the city.

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: get up and get moving and I'll check in tomorrow.

:smile: Laura
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    So with watching my food (and logging it) and doing at least 3 miles a night on the treadmill I shed 4 of the pounds I had put back on in a mere week. However this weekend is going to be tough. My son is a corporate trainer for Buca's and he got to fly up here to train the people at the Buca's closet to me. So we will probably go there tonight to watch him in action (he is also an amazing bartender) and then we will probably take him out someplace special on Sunday. We haven';t seen him since our wedding. 2.5 years ago. I am very excited.

Bucca's is not the restaurant I would choose to eat healthy so it will be a true challenge.

I am off to my second hypnosis session. I have really cut back on the nail biting but my other issues aren't stopping yet. I still have hope. I will keep you posted. DH is still successfully smoke free. It worked great for him.

I hope you all have a great Saturday. I will post some new pix of Ritter later, he is growing sooo fast.