Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - January Challenge!! Take 2!

Options
Hey fabulous 20-something friends! :drinker: Welcome to 2012! This is OUR year - Let's make every day count!

This will be a quick intro for those looking for a new challenge and wanting to stick it out for at least a month. For those who are vets to our monthly challenges, you know how its done. Scroll down to the bottom, check out your Dec goals, and start kickin' some *kitten* ! :bigsmile:

For the newbs - Welcome! Here's the 'skinny' on our healthy living and lifestyle challenge...

As with the 15 challenges (!! we've been at this for 15 months already!) that have come before, this is a place where MFPals in their 20s can search out support, motivation, and advice while they are working towards their own personal goals. You're encouraged to set your own targets based on what is important to you and what challenges you face that you hope to overcome - set out goals for the month, make them attainable, and then just keep coming back to update us on your progress, help motivate others, and kick some serious *kitten*!! This group is home to Pals at all stages in their journey and there is plenty of advice, friendship and *love* to go around - If you have any questions or just need help getting moving, or you're a total veteran at this whole healthy living thing, you're welcome here! Just post whatever you like, show some support when you can, and enjoy the group

Here's what we ask:

1) As our veteran members (and newbs alike) sign onto the challenge once again, a list like the one found at the bottom of this post will start forming. This is our “goals list”. If you want to join the challenge, we ask that you copy and paste the most up-to-date list and tag your own screen name and goals onto the bottom – this is so that we can keep things moving along and no one gets left behind! (If you notice that someone's been left off, due to a high volume of posting, please incorporate their goals back into the list whenever possible.)
2) Set attainable and realistic goals! This group is dedicated to supporting healthy living, first and foremost, and that includes physical, emotional and mental health. So set goals that you know you can reach, with hard work and persistence, and find ways to celebrate small victories whenever you can. This will help you stay motivated and on track! We recommend setting some non-scale goals along with a scale goal if you are trying to lose weight – seeing progress in your fitness, your measurements and your diet is a great way to celebrate small changes in your life that make a HUGE difference. Be flexible, know that things aren't going to go perfectly as planned every day, and allow some wiggle room for a bad day here and there. We all have them!
3) Once your goals are posted, stay active and enjoy the benefits of this awesome community. Oh, and invite your 20-something friends! Let's keep this group moving, ladies!

Now for the re-cap from our December 2011 challenge... Here's the list of our goals from last month. How did your results stack up? What do you still need to work on, what did you accomplish that you hadn't expected at the outset of the month, and how are you going to improve on your goals going forward? Let it all out! It's good for ya :wink:
olymp1a- break my plateau and lose 2 kgs, burn at least 300 calories daily and complete at least 15 hours of yoga practice.
raquelena -Ok, my aim is to lose 10lbs (I'm being slightly optimistic about my Christmas restraint :P), log in EVERYTHING, and exercise EVERYDAY. I want to enter 2012 looking lean and mean
MissGolightly727(Emily)-Complete my 2 weeks of cross-training (MWF from Nov 30-Dec 9). Practice yoga at least once a week. Run twice a week. Try one new activity. Get to 150's!!
mkingraham (Megan)- Run a 5k three times a week and go for a walk once on the weekends, make healthy eating choices
eleanoreb- ripped in 30 at least 4 times a week, eat moderately and as healthy as possible over Christmas, try out new recipes! be bikini ready by December 28th when I leave for Argentina!
abby459- hit 140lbs (trying yet again!), run 100 miles this month, find a 1/2 marathon to sign up for, and keep my fruits/veggie servings at 4-5/day!!
JessYas: I have set-up a weight-lifting regimen and plan to keep it. I want to do weights starting off 2x/week and work up to 3x/week. Second, I am training for a 1/2 marathon on January 15th. If I could finish that in less than 2.5 hours, I would consider that a success! And last- I would like to lose 11lbs by my birthday in March. This means losing the 6 I gained back plus 5 more. For December (and I'm being generous to myself for the holiday) that means I need to lose 2-3lbs.
GreenHumanClay (Cynthia): Increase my running distance to 9 miles, hydrate well min 64oz per day, weight train 2-3xs/week, eat more fruits and veggies, sign up for a 15k for either late Dec. or Jan. lose 2-4 lbs ( getting close to my goal weight makes it more difficult), run+workout 5-6xsper week with running being 3-4 xs and fit in a size 4 by NYE! iffy on that one lol!!
lalonmeg000(meghan)- at least 30 min of exercise 6 days a week, No more soda! Even diet!!!, log everyday on here or my writen food journal! find something relaxing and do it for an hour a week.
believeinmagic: drink more water, eat 3 cups of veggies a day,cut back on the junk food and finish the 30DS.
jillybeanruns: 80+ ounces of water a day; strength train 3x a week; PT strength exercises 3x a week; hit 1111 miles running for the year; PR my half on the 10th (need 1:52.11 or better); eat more; sleep more; and most importantly, take measurable steps towards getting out of the South.
How does your progress stack up against your goals from Jan 2011? How far have you come? May as well take a moment to reflect on all the good you've done yourself this past year. It will help to motivate you to kick some major *kitten* into 2012! :drinker:

Ok fabulous 20-somethings... Let's get a new list going to bang out the new year. Who's going to get us moving?:huh:

:heart:

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    OK - Well apparently I didn't post my own goals in Dec :noway: Shows you how totally out of it I was! But I DID have goals - So I'll update on those when I have a minute and get some new goals for January posted...

Let's hear yours!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Ok.....well I am definately back again....I love this group!!
    My goals from December were:
    abby459- hit 140lbs (trying yet again!), run 100 miles this month, find a 1/2 marathon to sign up for, and keep my fruits/veggie servings at 4-5/day!!

I guess I did pretty good on my goals. I did finally break out of the 140s!!! After trying to hit that goal for about 4 months now!! Currently weighing in at 138.1 as of this week!!! I did not make my 100 miles goal, I ended with 75 miles, but with me being sick and not able to run for about 2 weeks of the month I still consider that a success. I will be trying for 100 again in January. I did sign up for my first 1/2 marathon....it will be April 28th. And I kept my fruits/veggies at at least 4 basically every day this month, minus a few days that I was really sick and couldnt eat anything at all!! Overall I consider it a good month!!

January Goals
    abby459 - Run 100 miles in January. Find a 1/2 marathon training plan and actually stick to it!! And for my weight, I guess I would like to be under 135 by the months end!!
  • corbinam
    corbinam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group! I think this is an awesome idea :) Im not quite sure how to post though, as Im not sure what 'list' of goals to copy for january??

My goals would be : to complete the 30 day shred (which i started today), to drink very little pop (maybe even none at all), and keep logging my food and exercise here on MFP!!!
  • ChocChipMuffin
    Options
    Ooh I'm in! My goals are at the bottom of the list below.

January Goals
    abby459 - Run 100 miles in January. Find a 1/2 marathon training plan and actually stick to it!! And for my weight, I guess I would like to be under 135 by the months end!!
    Corbinam - to complete the 30 day shred (which i started today), to drink very little pop (maybe even none at all), and keep logging my food and exercise here on MFP!!!
    ChocChipMuffin - keep logging my food and exercise on MFP, start and regularly go to pilates and yoga classes again, keep remembering to take vitamins (I always forget)
  • Boolahboo
    Boolahboo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Corbinam - to complete the 30 day shred (which i started today), to drink very little pop (maybe even none at all), and keep logging my food and exercise here on MFP!!!
    ChocChipMuffin - keep logging my food and exercise on MFP, start and regularly go to pilates and yoga classes again, keep remembering to take vitamins (I always forget)
    Boolahboo- run 3 times a week, and complete the 30 day shred!
  • SeeEmRun2012
    Options
    I would like to join!
    My goals are to have a consistent healthy eating pattern instead of only every few days.
    To loose at least one jean size before my summer vacation to Cabo San lucas in June.
    And to run at least once a week ( on top of working out 4 days a week )

I'm glad to be friends with anyone looking for support as I too will need as much of it as possible.
    Thanks everyone!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Welcome all! Happy to have ya!

I've added my goals here and will update on my progress in Dec when I get a chance later today...

SeeEmRun2012- maintain a consistent healthy eating pattern, loose one jean size before summer vacation, and run at least once a week (on top of working out 4 days a week)
    Meagalayne- Complete 5 weeks of training for the ATB 30K race, running at least 3x week with long runs on Saturday upto 11 miles, lift weights 2x a week + spin with CrazyCarl on Mondays, stop binging on holidays treats to cope with stress at work, and finish the novel I started in NOLA.

Abby - Love the goals - 100miles is a VERY admirable one! Even with my all my training I doubt I'll hit 100 miles in any month this year. Looking back on past training, getting in 85miles in one month is basically my max. I know I'll be stretching myself thin with ATB training as I only wish to run 3x per week (any more than that and I risk further injuring my feet, I think) but I am aiming for 900 miles this year, I think. You're a total bada$$ to try for 100 miles in one month. Wish you the best of luck girlie! If anyone can do it... You can!

See you all very soon! Keep the goals comin' ...
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! So glad to be together for 2012!
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yay! Happy 2012 everyone :)

Decemeber was something else, so off to a new start :)

Goals for January are posted below, most are a carry over from december ! Glad to be back and idk if its the new year that feels nice, just being able to start new, or what, but its going to be a great year and a fabulous January!

lalonmeg000 (meg or meghan) - water, water, water! starting that Insanity, 6 days a week :), pack my lunches throughout the week! clean out my car every sunday
  • TiffTerry
    Options
    I would like to join! I need some accountability in my life! In addition to the *kitten* Kicking that is about to commence, I plan to take names as well! :)

lalonmeg000 (meg or meghan) - water, water, water! starting that Insanity, 6 days a week :), pack my lunches throughout the week! clean out my car every sunday
    tiffterry- run 2-3 times a week, add some yoga, go to bed a half hour earlier, and go for evening walks.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Ok well Em and I got cut out of the list... So I'm adding us back in! :bigsmile:

SeeEmRun2012- maintain a consistent healthy eating pattern, loose one jean size before summer vacation, and run at least once a week (on top of working out 4 days a week)
    Meagalayne- Complete 5 weeks of training for the ATB 30K race, running at least 3x week with long runs on Saturday upto 11 miles, lift weights 2x a week + spin with CrazyCarl on Mondays, stop binging on holidays treats to cope with stress at work, and finish the novel I started in NOLA.
    tiffterry- run 2-3 times a week, add some yoga, go to bed a half hour earlier, and go for evening walks.

Meg(s), and Abby - Welcome back! And WELCOME to all the newbs, as well! :drinker: Awesome goals so far from all of you! It's great to see such variety - weight loss goals, but also fitness, nutrition, maintaining healthy habits, and all kinds of other great stuff. This community is awesome for promoting all around health and happiness, and sleep, hydration, fitness, and all else are great goals to help make this a lifestyle change.

Love the "pack a lunch" goal, Meg! I bring my lunch every single day and log it the night before to help keep myself on track. It's awesome having everything planned out for the next day - really keeps me from getting too anxious about food throughout the day and I never eat anything I haven't already packed. The down side is that I don't eat as intuitively as I could, since I also ALWAYS eat EVERY bite I pack :blushing: But I know I have room for it! :laugh: I guess there's worse things in the world....

Tried to find the goals I posted for Dec but I can't seem to track 'em down... I know that I wanted to cover 30 miles in NOLA, and I managed to run/walk around 40 miles while I was there. I also broke my "farthest distance run in 1 week" streak twice over in December! The week of Dec 4th, and then again this past week, logging 27.5miles :bigsmile: So I'm happy with that! Eating, work stress, and logging was all a bit of a disaster but I am getting myself back on track! Just have to work on feeling hungry ALL the time (not sure why but I seem to be hungrier than usual) and get my beer consumption under wraps. The holidays were a great excuse to over-indulge, but they are over now and I am back on track.

The only wrench in my plans for Jan are a potential business trip to Florida, but that is yet to be seen. Will keep y'all posted on that! Happy Sunday ladies - keep rocking it! :drinker:
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Im also back of course I will post my goals for tomorrow until then have a great night and awesome Monday!!

Cynthia! :bigsmile:
  • missjessicann
    Options
    I'm new and in for January! I've gained 6lb in holiday+PMS weight in December, so I'm hoping for a quick, motivating drop back to my "regular" weight of 152, plus a few :)

Meagalayne- Complete 5 weeks of training for the ATB 30K race, running at least 3x week with long runs on Saturday up to 11 miles, lift weights 2x a week + spin with CrazyCarl on Mondays, stop binging on holidays treats to cope with stress at work, and finish the novel I started in NOLA.
    missjessicann - Get out of the 150's, stick to month 1 schedule of Insanity, drink enough water, and getting into bed by 1am.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Good morning and happy Monday everyone!

Hope y'all have a great day and kick some major *kitten*! Many of you are likely enjoying your last day of holidays before the dreaded return in reality... Unfortunately, I'm back to work today. Work and then a killer spin class with CrazyCarl tonight! :drinker: Going to kick some serious butt and leave it all on the spin class floor.

Yesterday was a rest day for me, and I got in some serious relaxing time. Read 100 pages of my book, applied for another job, had some coffee at a local diner and did some people watching. Just hung around. I also made one hell of an awesome steak dinner and prepped tons of food for the week so that I would be starting the week out right. Got a mega lunch packed for today to keep me fueled up all day long. Really pushing to give myself every opportunity to succeed in January.

Hope you ladies are doing the same! :heart:

QOTD (Question of the day) - What is your Sunday night routine to help keep yourself on track throughout the week?
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am completely in

bby459 - Run 100 miles in January. Find a 1/2 marathon training plan and actually stick to it!! And for my weight, I guess I would like to be under 135 by the months end!!
    Meagalayne- Complete 5 weeks of training for the ATB 30K race, running at least 3x week with long runs on Saturday up to 11 miles, lift weights 2x a week + spin with CrazyCarl on Mondays, stop binging on holidays treats to cope with stress at work, and finish the novel I started in NOLA.
    missjessicann - Get out of the 150's, stick to month 1 schedule of Insanity, drink enough water, and getting into bed by 1am.
    missgolightly727(Emily) - Lose 5 pounds(which will FINALLY put me into the 150s!), run twice a week(lets try that again...), try something new, no sodas, post on this board more!!
    Jplucheck - log running at least 50 miles
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bby459 - Run 100 miles in January. Find a 1/2 marathon training plan and actually stick to it!! And for my weight, I guess I would like to be under 135 by the months end!!
    missgolightly727(Emily) - Lose 5 pounds(which will FINALLY put me into the 150s!), run twice a week(lets try that again...), try something new, no sodas, post on this board more!!
    Jplucheck - log running at least 50 miles
    GuamGrly (Bethany) - Plan, plan, plan!! Plan my meals for the week! Drink my water everyday! Get in as many workouts as my life will allow. Stay on track! Keep reading!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Lovelies!! Which means a new month and year to make it worth our while!

I thought I had posted goals for last month but they weren't on the list so I'm not gonna worry about it. Really need to work on planning things out this year. I have talked about it before and then life gets in the way. Had a great weekend for New Year's. The boy came over Thursday night and stayed all weekend at my house. We stayed in for New Years because it was not worth being out on the streets of California. Like Cynthia said, they do not hesitate to hand out DUIs in our lovely state. But I had an amazing weekend with him and was super sad to see him go last night. Friday night we went and saw Gabriel Iglesias perform. Saturday we slept in and then battled it out over 18 holes of miniature golf, had an early dinner, picked up some beverages, and made it home early. Sunday was lazy football day. Our team got booted out of the playoffs but they didn't seem like they showed up to play anyways so they really didnt' deserve it. Hope everyone else had a great weekend.

Meag - I'm at work today too!! Apparently our owner sent out a memo that all of the business offices could remain closed today but that memo somehow missed our office. So we are here! Although I was kinda hoping to take the kids down to watch the Rose Parade but maybe next year.

Welcome Back Em, Cynthia, Megan, and Meghan!!
    And welcome to all the newbs!!

QOTD - Sundays are usually spent hanging out with my family. Although my ideal way of spending Sundays would be to make meals for the week. By the time I get home its almost 7pm and if I were to make dinner, it more than likely would be ready until closer to 8pm which is about the time the kids should be getting ready for bed. So if I could knock out just a few meals on Sundays, that would make my week much easier. I could save money, time, and calories that way. Definitely something that I want to implement this month. And my cruise is coming up in a few weeks so I would kinda like to be on track so that I'm not completely thrown off when I go.

Quote of the day - "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great. ~Joe Sabah~
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join!

jlrushton12- Lose at least 5lbs, try (and stick to) 30 Day Shred, limit sugar (except from fruits), burn more calories than in December.
  • mrswhitehair
    mrswhitehair Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join too!

Mon 01/02/12 12:32 PM
    I'd like to join!

jlrushton12- Lose at least 5lbs, try (and stick to) 30 Day Shred, limit sugar (except from fruits), burn more calories than in December.
    mrswhitehair-Complete the 30 Day Shred, be able to complete the video with no stops & non-modified pushups! Limit pop intake (after I get into the swing of things with student teaching this month, I will set more challenging goals next month!!)
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I want to join!!! My goal for January is to work out twice a week and for weight somewhere below 120!