40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Cara, you are doing the best you can with your busy schedule. Weekends sound like the best time for you. I think someone had also mentioned the workouts in the evenings or while your girls were in their activities. I think you are already doing that. Do you cook every evening? Maybe you can cook the week's meals on Sunday and that way the time saved from cooking can be used for your workouts. Your family will understand that Mom also needs her time to workout and stay healthy to take care of them. Keep up the good work!! :drinker:

caroldot, it is great that you are focusing on yourself. :drinker: You sound a lot like me in regards to wanting to lose 10lbs when I started here and ended up losing 24lbs. :laugh: Well, I have gained a few, the Holidays always do me in. :noway: Stay the course and you will lose the weight. :flowerforyou:

jrrfl, welcome!!! :drinker:

inuit, congrats on the weightloss!!! That is awesome! How do you feel eating 1200-1500 cals? How much weight are losing per week? Perhaps increase your calories or at least eat all your exercise calories. I recommend you wear a heart rate monitor to accurately calculate the calories you burn. Pushups are tough, are you doing regular pushups or on your knees? If you can find a sturdy table or counter that is perhaps up to your hips or so then step back and do the pushups in the right form. You will start building up your upper body strength that way. Then when you can do about 12-15 you can look for something lower, etc until you can do them on the floor, on your toes. :flowerforyou:

Cardigirl, nice to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been a while. I like your picture! No, no Sing. :cry:

Well, today is "rest" day if there is such a thing. :laugh: :noway: I had my breakfast, drinking some coffee, getting psyched to clean the house!!! So, no rest!!! :tongue: It is also the day I eat less, 1500cals vs 1900.

Have a wonderful Saturday!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    allf1163-Thank you very much for your support and suggetions. They are all helpful. (I just love this group!)

My daughter has just been diagnosed with mono so she will be out of sports for awhile. (She's almost 16 so she can take care of herself for the most part.) So, this clears up my schedule a bit. In an effort to turn lemons into lemonaid, I will be able to start the hot yoga class I have been dying to try, as well as continue taking my Boot Camp classes on more regular basis until she is back to rowing practice. Though I would never want any of my chldren to be sick, I may as well make the best of it...

Here's this week's workout plan:

Saturday- Boot Camp & some extra strength training (as well as shoveling snow... yuck)
    Sunday- a 5 mile run and 1 1/2 hour hot yoga class
    Monday- teach yoga for 40 minutes to 8 year olds and 1 1/2 hour hot yoga class
    Tuesday- Boot Camp
    Wednesday- teach a circuit training class to 10 year olds for 40 minutes, then a 30 minute run or rowing machine (depending on the weather) and 1 1/2 hour hot yoga class
    Thursday- rest (Going to watch my daughter play basketball.)
    Friday- 1 1/2 hour hot yoga class

This is going to be a good fitness week for me:bigsmile:
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi all-checking in
    last week workout
    Mon-walk 3 miles-weights 30 mins
    Tues-25 min dvd and walk dog 20min
    wed-weights 40 min shovel snow 20min
    thur-ab/legs/back dvd 30min
    fri-weights 20min and walk 30
    sat-walk dog 30
    sun-rest and spike day
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options

Hat's off to the individual who did 100 burpees! Those are killers and I struggle to do 20.

In P90X2 there is this evil thing called the Mule Kick Burpee.

Start Standing
    Go Down and Kick feet up in the air like a mule kick to Plank
    Do a pushup
    In Plank - Right Knee to RIght Elbow then a pushup
    Still in Plank Left Knee to Left Elbow then a pushup
    Jump to hands and then jump straight up
    Repeat

I did 5 and thought I was dying :-)

Thanks for the words of encouragement crewellademel.

O M G! Darn near died just reading this. :laugh:
  • sdereski
    Options

BTW, got my body fat tested yesterday by a coworker who is an exercise physiologist. 19.21% not bad for a 48 yr old woman!! hee hee I was afraid I was "skinny fat"...so I feel more comfortable now. :drinker:

Awesome Christine!!!:flowerforyou:
    You are so NOT skinny fat - you work way too hard to be that. :smile:
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    inuit, congrats on the weightloss!!! That is awesome! How do you feel eating 1200-1500 cals? How much weight are losing per week? Perhaps increase your calories or at least eat all your exercise calories. I recommend you wear a heart rate monitor to accurately calculate the calories you burn. Pushups are tough, are you doing regular pushups or on your knees? If you can find a sturdy table or counter that is perhaps up to your hips or so then step back and do the pushups in the right form. You will start building up your upper body strength that way. Then when you can do about 12-15 you can look for something lower, etc until you can do them on the floor, on your toes. :flowerforyou:

I am losing about 2lb per week on average, i was sticking to a max of 1200 and after about 3/ 4 weeks, nothing was moving, so now i stick to 1200ish if i do not exercise at all. I have an office job so do nothing during the day. I use a heart rate monitor FT7, brilliant piece of kit, would recommend anyone who has not got one to get one. It works while i swim as well, the MFP calculations where to high for me. When i work out i go upto 1400ish . I only burn about 200 - 400 in exercise a day. so tend to go to the 1400 and then eat another 100 to 200 on top.

I have never eaten a lot, just completely the wrong stuff, so the amount i can eat at 1200ish in healthy stuff is more than adequate. 1200 is only not enough when i eat it in chocolate cake like i use to LOL!

As for pushups i amon to full ones, can easily do 20 plus on my knees, so have tried to move on, but can only get half way down and up for about 6 reps. I will certainly try the work top method, i can do a couple, but perhaps if i can push it by stepping back a bit. Good advice.

Nice thread and really nice people.
  • sdereski
    Options
    47. I'm in... 100+ pounds down. I come back every so often to tune up my diet and see where sodium and calories have found leaks.

Congratulations on your weight loss success!! Amazing.:flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

Am always amazed at how fast this thread is moving! Miss a day and there are pages to get caught up on. So many new people again - WELCOME!!:flowerforyou:

I was not logging my workouts for the week - but here goes:
    Monday - circuit training (weights / cardio) lower body & ab focus (60minutes)
    Tuesday - 5m treadmill run
    Wednesday (circuit training (weights/cardio) shoulders, back & abs (60 minutes); 5m treadmill run
    Thursday - 5m treadmill run
    Friday - circuit training (weights /cardio/abs) 40minutes

lesle1 - good on u for getting up to run at 5a.m. in the dead of winter. :flowerforyou:

Madroch - woot! you'll make that goal by tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

tikanique - congrats on 8.5lb weight loss in January! Excellent work.:flowerforyou:

cwojo - double workouts?! WTG! You will lose those 15lbs in no time at that rate. :flowerforyou:

tigerblue - have you considered P90X? Great strength training workouts. I loved it. :flowerforyou:

1d40 - great run! As bexdec said, you should be focusing on negative splits -start slow, finish strong! :flowerforyou:

bexdc - why do I recognize you from somewhere? Were you on here before? Great workout week btw. :flowerforyou:

ki4yxo - welcome! You are going to love your 40s. :happy:

umpire - had to chuckle at Friday's post. I did P90x and I was one of those yoga skippers. 90 minutes was sooo long.:tongue: I would manage 45min and then quit. Having said that, I love the yoga classes I sometime go to, and the hour flies by. :flowerforyou:

Swiss, alf, Chris, crewel - so happy to keep seeing your smiling faces on the board. I do miss some of the others - string & sing. Wonder what happened?
    Have a great Saturday folks. Have a long run to do, but it is so cold outside. Will do it tomorrow and try JM 30 day shred today. have had that DVD for over a year and have never done it -today is the day!:drinker:
  • mandy42smith
    Options
    I would love to join, Im not sure how. I am almost 43 years old. I am making changes to eat healthier and exercise daily. Will write more later.

13236620.png
  • mountainluv
    mountainluv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'3 143 pounds. I will be 46 in April. Just recently started MFP.
    I am recently divorced, we separated 1 year ago. I spent a whole year eating, comforting myself with food. I didn't exercise except for an occasional hike. I have sleep apnea, which hasn't helped. If I don't sleep well, I crave carbs. I am a nurse, so I know what I should be doing, easier said than done.

My biggest problem is chocolate. I used to eat a carton of ice cream in one sitting. I stopped buying regular ice cream and started buying Skinny Cow. The problem is that I cant eat just one of anything sweet. I have been a closet eater. i would die of embarrassment if my friends knew how much I ate. It isn't just sweets, it's carbs in general. nachos, pizza, bread.

Before I got married at age 30, I had a nice body. Never had a problem with my weight. A few years into the marriage I became depressed and started eating and the weight piled on. I decided 2012 is going to be my year of healing and taking care of myself.

Anyone ever gone to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting?

13802464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

umpire - had to chuckle at Friday's post. I did P90x and I was one of those yoga skippers. 90 minutes was sooo long.:tongue: I would manage 45min and then quit. Having said that, I love the yoga classes I sometime go to, and the hour flies by. :flowerforyou:

P90X2's Yoga is just over an hour. Tough hour though!

Yoga has helped me more than I can explain. I do the P90X2 yoga as part of the routine and 2-3 classes a week in addition.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I did my favourite cardio-step class today. I'm supposed to ONLY be doing HIIT, but I just can't give up this one class!

So be it. If it affects my training (a little negatively), that's the way it's going to be. For now.

My heel is killing me, though. I'm starting to think it is NOT plantar fasciaitis, and it is actually a deep heel bruise.

Anyway, happy Saturday, all!
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm Clelia. I'm 50 and just joined MFP. I'm 5'2' and 176 pounds - would like to lose 45 pounds by my birthday - July 4. I just signed up for a New You Challenge at my local health club. I am going to be on a team of 4 guys, all under the age of 40. We're competing against 4 other teams for 3 months, starting next week. My favorite part: my team name, WEAPONS OF MASS REDUCTION. I'm totally psyched and believe this time I can change my lifestyle for good! Thanks for being here, everyone.
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...what an awesome group to join !!!!!!
    Im 41 5'7" and currently weighing 141. I quit smoking in Oct 2011 and started exercising by walking on Nov 5. I feel so much better and not to mention healthier. It is definitely a hard road to travel but well worth it in the long run. I joined MFP in December and it has been absolutely worth it. I have learned so much and have met alot of people who have been so willing to help with my journey. Currently my exercise routine involves: 30DS Level 2, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, C25K and just starting strength training. My diet consists of cleaner eating, keeping my calories at about 1320 (up from 1200), and eating more real food verses boxed or packaged foods. Thats me in a nutshell.....:tongue:
  • doctor_mike
    Options
    Hi all....relatively new to MFP....looking to add friends in my (our) age range :)

Me: Curious, conversant, interested in people.

My Life: I am an adjunct professor at a midwest university. I think I am fit and want to stay that way, if not improve.

My stats....6-0...175....15% bf....goal...to maintain weight...drop to 8-10% bf....

My current workout plan
    Mon -- Giant sets targeting chest, 1-2 sets of tabatas for HIT cardio
    Tues-- Boxing fitness training, 60 min
    Wed -- Giant sets targeting back, 1-2 sets of tabatas for HIT cardio burn
    Thurs -- Boxing fitness training, 60 min
    Fri -- Giant sets targeting shoulders, 1-2 sets of tabatas for HIT cardio
    Sat -- Active rest
    Sun -- True rest :)

I am currently eating for maintenance and not for weight loss; macro breakdown is 180g+ protein, less than 150g carbs; and the rest in good fats...

Feel free to add me.....
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options

bexdc - why do I recognize you from somewhere? Were you on here before? Great workout week btw. :flowerforyou:

I left MFP for awhile, but now I'm back!
  • sdereski
    Options

I left MFP for awhile, but now I'm back!

I thought so. I am sure you were one of my friends. :laugh:
    Glad you're back!
  • sdereski
    Options

P90X2's Yoga is just over an hour. Tough hour though!

Yoga has helped me more than I can explain. I do the P90X2 yoga as part of the routine and 2-3 classes a week in addition.

That is what all yoga lovers say, and I do believe them. Part of the problem is that my dvd kept freezing up. My set of dvds did not all work great - plyo did not work at all.
    Great crane btw. :wink:
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello all... 53 here.. just dropping a place marker...
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi all,

I am 43 and on the path to reclaiming my "fighting weight" after a 3 year ordeal with cancer. My last surgery was in 2010 and I think I was scared on some level to get back in shape...part of finding that "new normal" they talk about, I guess.

I am a complete health nut, avid juicer and yoga student. I also love to run and lift weights 2-3 times a week.

Goals?? My first goal is to get back to 139, which is what I weighed at the time of my diagnosis in 2008. Phase 2-drop to 130 lbs, then increase calories and the intensity of my lifting. I'm a lifelong gym rat, my muscles are there, I just have to "chisel" a few layers away to find them.

Good luck to us all,
    Marissa

Inveniam viam aut faciam ("I will find a way or make one")