40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids,

Sdereski, your blueberry story made me giggle. Only because I can totally relate! It's mushroom hunting that gets me lost every time. But a blueberry pie somehow makes it all worthwhile.
    Larro, you're mind is hysterical. As for last year's gourds, I have a few of those projects around too. It's so easy to get swept up by possibilities.
    Beeps, 12k is another great walk! I hope your friend has some interesting leads.
    KS, it sounds smart to mix up your workouts. Keep things interesting.
    I'll be able to walk at lunch today. No errands to run, so that will be great. I'll also keep doing the mini weight workout on break. This evening I'm picking up supplies for the annual California Coastal Clean-up Day. We always have a kayak team out on Humboldt Bay picking trash out of the water and the shores of the tidal islands. It's messy, but fun. Amazing how much crap we haul out every year.
    Enjoy your day everyone!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone.

I've got my workout {Gazelle, lifting, stationary bike & Gazelle} and breakfast behind me. I'm going to try to mow a little before the thunderstorms move in. I got right in front of the house done just before dark last night. I know Mocha and Midas would love for me to mow the back yard. It is way too high already.

Sdereski, back in my youth I did a little of that kind of gardening you do in the woods. I had one little garden that was on my cousin's land, the next block of woods over from the house. It was only 40 acres, which is a 1/4 mile on each side. I tried to tend it when it was raining, and I can't tell you the number of times I got lost in those scrub oaks. Without the sun to guide you, it is super easy to lose your way. I used to name all my little hidden gardens, and that one was called Hard to Find.

I don't have anything scheduled at work until Monday, but I'm going in to town to deposit my check and take Margie to supper. So I will also make a few hours tending the lobby plants.

It's Thursday, so here are my numbers for the week:

22.0% Body Fat
    56.8% Body Water
    24.6 BMI
    175.7 Pounds

Hope everyone has a good day.

Larro
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Lifted LOTS, today.

Have an all-day board meeting, tomorrow.

The end.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It has been a busy week and it is not over!!! Glad to hear everyone is doing fine!!! I was sad yesterday to hear about Joan Rivers's death. It opened fresh wounds of my mom dying unexpectedly from surgery complications. :cry:

Sdereski, that must have been upsetting. Good thing you found those guys who could help. Blueberry picking sounds interesting.

Take care!:flowerforyou:
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday cool kids....:flowerforyou:

When I read that Joan Rivers passed away it really drove home the point that none of us are promised tomorrow. Take nothing for granted.

I took spin yesterday and now I remember why I stopped (BORING). I was bored and wanted to do a different class. I yawned so many times in the class, it was crazy. I thrive better in fast paced classes where I am challenged and pushed to my limit.

Larro-Congrats on your weight loss

ALf-Sorry old wounds were opened for you

Beeps--Is today a lift day?

CG--I need to tweak my diet period. When I was raw I felt so good and had loads of energy. Eating cooked food again, especially bread feels like a boulder in my stomach. Would love to know what a typical day is like for you.

Sderski--Ahhh the blueberry story.

My race is in 9 days. I am going to do the Race for the Cure in October and that will be it for me this year with runs unless I suddenly lose more weight from training. I did it as a fitness goal and something else to take off of my to do list.

KellySue--Hope you are well.

Make it a point to have a great weekend.:flowerforyou:
  • Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday All You Cool Kids,

I hope that everyone is doing well. I have been very busy this week. I had a great time with my granddaughter last weekend and enjoyed more family on saturday. We won our football game so that was icing on the cake!

I was sadden of the news that Joan Rivers passed away yesterday and feel for Melissa.

Caramel - Good Luck with the race. You continue to inspire me.

Larro - I loved your gords. I really liked the one at the top standing that had a little curl to it. My step grandmother used to make birdhouses out of the larger ones. It brought back good childhood memories.

Sdereski - The blueberry story sounds like something that would happen to me. Once my husband and I were out of town to go to a motocross show and when we came out (a different door) it took us 2 1/2 hours to find our car. Up and downhills and stairs and finally the police helped us find our car. I was at the point of tears I had on high heel boots to make things worse!

Beeps - Good Luck with finding a job. I think it is great that you are so focused!

CG - I am glad to hear that B is getting better and that you are back to the weight you were before the accident.

Alf - I wish you luck in finding the perfect place for your son. I know how important it is to you and it just shows what a great mom you are!

KellySue - I think that it is awesome that you can even run a 5K, so don't let time lessen your acheivement!

I hope that everyone has a good weekend!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    No lifting today - all day board meeting (for pay - that's good!)

And, my weekend has been hijacked! My brother + family are coming up to visit....so, my workout stretch has ended.

:(

Oh well - cute nephews are worth it!

I will try to lift on Monday. I leave for san diego on tuesday. Will try and lift wednesday and thursday. Spend friday sightseeing with husband. Fly home saturday.

Yippee!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Happy Friday.

The blueberry story, has a back story to it. Not sure if I wrote about it on this forum. Four years ago, I was out picking alone and got lost. I had gone out right after lunch, and had planned to pick for 2 hours. I got so lost, ran all over those hills and never found my way out until the next morning. I spent the night tucked in behind a rock. I had NOTHING with me - no watch, no Kleenex, no PHONE! The worst part was no one knew I was missing and probably wouldn't really catch on until later the next day. My husband was working out of town, and if anyone called for me, they would just assume I was out.
    I was dressed in a small sleeveless shirt (was wanting a seamless tan). At night the mosquitoes got bad, but thankfully not as bad as they were this year. Also, it was a clear night, and not the thunder and lightening storm that happened the night after. Needless to say, it was NOT a pleasant experience, so getting lost a second time was damn frustrating. This time I did have my phone, but the darn thing died on my about 15 minutes before I realized I was lost. :noway: There was no freaking way I wanted to spend another night in the woods. This is bush - 10 square miles of wild bush.

Did a 5km walk/run yesterday with my g/f who is doing the C25K.
    Started bridge last night, so late night and another early morning with my B&B guests. I must have slept well, because I was awake before the alarm went off and was up and ready to go. :happy:

Carmel - I don't think I would like spin class either. I get bored riding the stationary bike.

Was shocked to hear of Joan River's passing. Heaven got a little funnier. They must be having great laughs up there between her and Robin Williams.

Beeps - great job on your lifting yesterday. Good luck with all day board meeting.

Curious - we do a Lake Superior clean up day as well. It certainly is amazing how much trash is collected. Hope you got your lunch time walk in. :happy:

Larro - no scheduled workouts, but am sure you will spend time in the garden, which can be a workout in itself. Speaking of gardens, my flower beds need some serious TLC! Not sure it's going to happen this weekend. I have company coming. :tongue: Yes, she is my friend, but was really hoping for a quiet weekend to get myself caught up with that sort of stuff.

Kelly Sue - good luck with the house hunt. Am sure you will find the right one, for the right price.

have a good weekend all.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday gang!! I ran 3 miles today and beat my last time by 4 minutes- still slow, but getting better. I am at work late today because we are having an art show/sale later this afternoon. Not sure what the weekend holds just yet. Hubby wants to go to the Mennonite Market and then do some "drive-bys" of some of the other houses that we are interested in. I would like to maybe go see my parents as my mom was involved in a car accident on Wednesday. She was rear-ended by a young driver (18) who was not paying attention and may have been on her cell phone at the time. Fortunately she was not seriously hurt, but she is very sore and had to make an appointment with the orthopedic Dr. for this afternoon for some sharp pains in her knee.

Beeps- have fun with your family and enjoy San Diego!

Caramel- sorry to hear that spin was so boring! Nothing worse than being bored with what you are doing.

Have a good weekend!!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Cool Kids!

Beeps, I hope your Board meeting is going well. Terrific that it's paid!! I love San Diego. I lived in the northern part of the county for a few years. A town called Solana Beach. I hope you have a great time, and hopefully you'll have time to visit the zoo and Balboa Park.

Larro, I hope you and your DW enjoyed your supper out! I don't envy you your growing lawn. That's one nice thing about summers in CA. The grass goes dormant, and mowing season ends! Unless of course you water it, but we're in a drought, so only a few lawn-lovers do.

Caramel, I'm curious why you moved away from a raw diet if it was serving you well? Is it to support your intense activity level? Interesting that this month's National Geographic mag has a fantastic article on food, and there's a team doing research on early human diets. For one thing, they point out there is no "paleo diet" per se. There were hundreds of them, all dictated by where that particular cave person lived. Consider the inuits. All meat, all the time, vs. the tropics with more fruit & nuts. Anyway, they were talking about the raw vs. cooked study they did on mice, and with the same food they fed some mice raw and some mice cooked. The mice eating the cooked food gained 30% more weight. They said this is because the cooking kind of predigests our food, alowing us to get more calories out of it. Hence eating only raw food makes us work harded to extract the calories through digestion. It's a great article.

As for me: my favorite breakfast is either an egg (I have chickens) fried in coconut oil on a half Ezekial English muffin (all sprouted grains, no flour); or my new favorte is steamed squash with a soft boiled egg. Weird, but I like it. Lunch is almost always a ginormous salad with some non-fat dressing. Today I added 1/2 avocado and about 1/4 cup of tuna (which we canned ourselves!). For dinner it will be some sort of protien and some sort of veggie. Maybe a venison steak and salad, or fish & veggie stir fry, or tofu on zoodles! I love the spiralizer! I make everything from scratch, so if you ever look at my diary, you'll rarely see dinner in there. It's such a pain in the butt to enter every single ingredient. Could be why I struggle with weight! :laugh:

E's Mom, painful story about the high heeled boots! Ouch! And hooray for your team!

Sdereski, that was a scary back story about the blueberries! I can't imagine being lost overnight alone. No wonder getting lost last weekend was so upsetting. Congrats on the 5k run! And isn't a good sleep amazing!

Kelly Sue, 3 miles! Yes!! That's awesome! Sorry about your mom. I hope she's ok!

Alf, I'm sending warm thoughts for you and your son, and I hope you get some dang answers soon!

Tomorrow a nearby town is having a village-wide garage sale, and B is up for going! He's embarrassed to crutch about, but figures he doesn't know anyone there. Silly boy. Anyway, I'm glad we're going. It should be fun. I'll kayak for sure on Sunday, so it should be a nice weekend.

I hope you all enjoy yours! :heart:
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Evening. This is my fist chance to check in. Busy, busy day. I got a late start, but was able to do my regular AM workout {20 minutes Gazelle, 5 minutes stationary bike, 5 minutes Gazelle intense effort} a couple three hours of mowing and raking, picking peas, squash and pepper, cooking, {a big pot of peas and a baked ham roast}. After supper Margie and I went to a family friend's house and picked about 4 or 5 gallons of grapes. We would have picked more, but the lightning chased us home. Then took Mamma some supper, which I had forgot that I had promised I was going to do.

We are planning a trip to Panama City for tomorrow. Hope to get an early start to beat the crowds and get back home at a decent hour. Then will nap while football or golf is on TV so I will be well rested by the time the race comes on.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Larro
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello kids! It's almost time to roll over into another thread. It will lock at 500 so anyone who is close please roll it over...Beeps?

Beeps have a great trip and have a good time with family!

Curious, you eat very gourmet!

Caramel, I have seen a video of a really fun spinning class on Facebook, I'm sure you wouldn't be bored doing that one. If I find it I'll share it.

KS hope your mom is ok.

Sdereski, there's no more blueberry picking for you alone!!!! We cant lose you!!!!!

Larro what are you doing with all those grapes??? Send me some!!!

Gotta get ready working today at a mental health summit sponsored by the VA. It's at a park so my husband and son are coming along ti enjoy the park. The park is the first in the US built for people with disabilities. It's called Morgan's Wonderland. Have a great Saturday!! :flowerforyou:
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids!

Ok Im back ...SO glad to be home :heart:

The road trip took 4 days, we took our time and shopped etc. My baby sisters wedding was AWESOME to say the least! She was creative and made us laugh. We stayed with my dad and step-monster which, in itself, should have been the most stressful but actually turned out to be relatively drama-free :smile: On a side note, my stepmother owns 4 show cats. They are maincoons. I don't know you have ever heard of them but they are startlingly huge! They average 45-60 lbs, have long hair and lynx-type ears. The big male came up to me one night wanting some attention and nudged me so hard with his huge head, I nearly had a heart attack lol.

The trip home was 2 days. We drove for 12 hrs a day but it was well worth it to get home and into all of our own beds zzzzzzzz :tongue:

I didn't have access to wifi a few of the days and lost my streak - grrrr but stayed at the exact same weight, phew.

Im just reading through everyones posts, trying to catch up. I missed you all and look forward to jumping right back in!

JFM
    :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski, i did NOT know that "lost in the bush" story......that IS scary! Yet another reason for me to never, ever go berry-picking again, as long as i live. (Like i needed another one......slave-driving-berry-picking-parents from saskatchewan is enough.....)

No workouts this weekend. My brother and family arrived (surprise!).... I will try and get a walk in this afternoon....
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Kelly, shaving 4 mins off three miles is totally AWESOME!

curious - i do sometimes wish i loved somewhere that i could kayak....sometimes.....

Larro, when i first read your post, i thought it said "trip to panama canal".... Wouldn't that have been something?

Alf, hope the summit went well!

JustFinding - that sounds like a looooong drive! Glad the wedding was wonderful!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Hmm...

40+...check!

Cool....AS IF!!!

Oh well, hopefully all you cool kids won't chase me off.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was fairly quiet. I tried to do another 3 mile run on Saturday, but just over a mile in my right hip started hurting so I ended up walking the rest of the way. Still a good work out and hopefully I just need to rest a bit. I walked again this morning just to be on the safe side.

Hubs and I went on several drive bys this weekend of potential houses. I have to make some calls today to see about setting up some times to actually look inside several of the houses we went past. We also went to the Mennonite Market and Hubby was very excited to see that they had concord grapes- his very favorite!! Also got some apples and pears.

Just- glad to hear that your sister's wedding was awesome!! And that you are home safe and sound!

Beeps- hope you had a nice visit with your family.

As an update- My mom is feeling a bit better. They did end up giving her a knee brace when she went to the dr on Friday. Nothing broken, but it is helping with stability. She is busy making party decorations/favors for the antique car club that they belong to. They are having a fall picnic in October.

Have a good day all!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Quickly popping in to wish everyone a "good morning!". Busy morning here as everyone is back in their office after their last bit of summer vacation.

Beeps. I had to smile at your slave driving berry picking child story. I was out yesterday with my husband's uncle and his two youngest children who are teenagers. We actually talked about how difficult it is to get the kids out picking these days. As a child, my parents never took us blueberry picking, we went on our own. My parents were immigrants and being in the bush frightened them. We went, because we loved the blueberry pies and cakes mom would make afterward. Our town is so small and it is literally in the middle of the bush, not sure why they settled here if that is their fear.

Golfed on Saturday - have to say that I didn't do too bad considering I have not hit a ball in two years and I was never a regular golfer. We came 2nd in the 1st flight. :happy:

Justfindingme - welcome back! I have never heard of those cats, but am not a cat lover, so a cat that large would scare the bejesus outta me, four of them would have me staying in a hotel. :noway:

Alf - enjoy the summit. Sounds like it will be a lovely "family affair". :happy:

A big hello to everyone else - still have to get all caught up with the reading.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids,

Welcome grimmeanor....

JFM---so glad you are back. You have been missed. In terms of the cat wanting attention, I hope your heart returned to its resting space. I love animal stories.

Beeps--I know you have pinned up energy ready to unleash the beast at the gym. Are you considering the other gym you mentioned?

KS--How's mom? How are you? shaving time off of your run.....AWESOME

Larro---some grapes would be nice right about now.

ALF--How was Morgan's wonderland?

Sderski-Hope all is well after the berry picking. I am with Alf, we do not want to lose you.

CG--I will be PMing you in the coming days as I am losing steam and motivation with eating. I could live off chocolate and flaxseed milk.

I was absolutely horrified after I read this article http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/08/us/horrific-ice-bucket-challenge/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
    Where are the parents of these horrid children? I find no humor in people taking advantage of anyone, more so persons that have disabilities.

I have extreme fit tonight and I need something to unleash this andrenaline. On the weekends I find I walk so much I do not have time to really work out like I need to. I just do not want to set an unrealistic standard for myself that I am unable to keep up with.

If I forgot you, please forgive me.

Have a great day kids.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids. I've just wrapped up my AM workout {10 minutes Gazelle, 75 minutes lifting, 5 minutes stationary bike and 5 minutes Gazelle intense effort} and breakfast. I have a few chores before I get ready for work, and not much time to chat. So I will just say hello to everyone, welcome the new guys and our returning voyagers.

We took longer shopping on Saturday than planned. But I got two pair of sandals from Kohl's that were on clearance to replace the pair I damaged on my river trip. {$20 bucks each plus a 20% discount} Margie bought a fitbit one, and was supposed to get 20% off it too. When we got home and looked at the receipt we found out the discount didn't get applied to that. Needless to say, she was not a happy camper. It is only $20 bucks, and that doesn't warrant a special trip back to PC. She wrote the company headquarters, so we will have to see what they have to say. I had urged her to buy it online, but she likes to shop at Kohl's.

I wish I could send you guys some grapes. We have three kinds, the black {or purple} and gold Scuppernongs, and an oblong black grape that tastes a lot like the Concord grape. The guys with the vines have picked all they are going to for the year, so there are plenty more grapes to be had, but we have more than we can use. Margie does do a good grape pie, and if she feels like it, she is going to bake one. It won't be tonight though, as she has County Commissioner's meeting after work.

Hope everyone has a great day. I will leave you guys with a picture of a few of the Scuppernongs.

Larro

10612809_806208996090892_8112612408770844528_n.jpg?oh=97e11ddccb56e557de01c97ff44f418f&oe=5487D8BF&__gda__=1419680263_957bdd98d92b5082370353490d387428