40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did it! I did my first cardio (non yoga) workout in months. 30 minutes of success! (Much better day today, pain-wise.)

Alf - you must have an unbelievable pain tolerance!

KellySue - 40 minutes of shoveling! Congrats!

Nikon - Awesome.

Thanks, Cool Kids. See ya later!
  • mkasarda570
    mkasarda570 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in! I am 47, mom of 4, granny to my sweet granddaughter. I am down 150 lbs and am motivated to stay on a track of healthy living for the rest of my life. Eager to have friends on this road!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Terrific Tuesday morning to all the cool kids!
    I'll continue to be without my dear bicycle for most of this week it seems. Something about their bad - ordered a 2 sprocket rather than a 3 sprocket -- and I have to wait for the new part to come in. :\ .
    We're in the middle of a series of heavy rain storms this week and next, but tomorrow is supposed to be mostly dry, so tomorrow I may ride Buttercup! (the motorcycle) I just got new hi-viz orange helmet that is so bright it practically glows, so I'm pretty excited to try it out.
    Yesterday I never did get any decent exercise in due to the board meeting, and consequently the two folks I'm in a Fitbit challenge with this week got way ahead. I'll try o make up for it today! Walk to gym for Hard CORE at lunch, and then see a PT at the other gym after work to develop a routine or two that I can do on my own.
    Good food days, though. I've been using my juicer a lot. Love that machine.

Mkasarda, congratulations on the amazing weight loss! Bookmark this thread and keep in touch.
    Way to go Alisha! Woot woot!
    Alf, Chicago sounds like fun! I'm sure you're back on track already.
    3furballs, thanks for sharing about your naturopath. I've been considering consulting one. Now I think I definitely will!
    Caramel, your burn yesterday looks amazing. What will you do today?
    Larro, I love your veggie-laden breakfasts!
    Hello to the rest of you uber-cool kids.
    Have a fun and successful day everyone!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon! busy morning of meetings. I normally have Jake on Tuesdays but was unable to take him today due to my morning meetings. :( I will see him on Thursday. I ended up shoveling for about 20 minutes again yesterday afternoon. I think we got about a foot of snow. It's sunny today and 20 degrees (fahrenheit). I won't be back at the gym again until Friday, but I think I will start going a little earlier so I can have time for some weights as well. Thinking about doing a kickboxing class on Tues/Thurs evenings as well, but have to check to see if there is still room first.

I have to say, I think that it is awesome that some are able to respond to so many. I wish I had the time, but know that I think that you are all awesome and even if I don't respond, it doesn't mean that I don't notice all of your effort! Great job!

Have a good one!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Snow days and super bowl party - up 2.5 pounds UGH! You'd think all the shoveling and carrying children would help. But work brought in pizza for the brave few yesterday and here I am. Snow was over top of my boots leaving the office yesterday (approx 1 foot since I had gotten in) - got stuck getting in the driveway. We're almost 5 feet of snow in the last 10 days-believe it! Frigid temperatures is limiting play time though.
    I did manage to log over the weekend so I am past 15 days woot woot. Now if I can stop eating when the log says too well...that'll be good :smiley:

Great job all you motivated souls! Snow is over the conference room windows, like we're meeting in an igloo, makes for snacky times.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hey all, just popping in to say a quick "hello". Gala and baby shower were huge successes. Got home last night around 9:30 after driving home in a major snowstorm. Was a little nerve wracking, but made it safely home. My biggest fear when I am stuck on the road in weather like that is suddenly having a moose standing in the middle of the road, but luckily none were out and about last night.
    Busy work day trying to get caught up. No exercise at all since last week and eating has been crap. Time to smarten up...........AGAIN! :p
  • Joanna331
    Joanna331 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm 41. I've lost two stone over the last two years still have a few more lbs to loose then hoping to maintain. I lost this weight using slimming world, 5:2 and calorie counting. Calorie counting seems to be the one that I find works best for me.
    I try to get to the gym most days during the week (weekends off) but as a working single mum of three it's often hard to spare the time.
    I've got a terrible sweet tooth and find it so hard to resist anything chocolately the more I try not to eat it the more I want it. Good luck to everyone - always grateful for any advice/tips
    Joanna
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,935 Member
    Options
    Today, I lifted. The end.
  • BeardedStudWarrior
    BeardedStudWarrior Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    <
    only 38, not cool.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Joanna, can you do short workouts through the day? Do 15 min round with skipping and body weight exercises in the morning and night? Might be a way to cram the exercise in. I know the sweet tooth feeling! I love my sweets too. Me and chocolate are bff's!

Got to Kickboxing tonight and stated using my fitbit charge hr last night and I'm starting to figure it out. Guess it's a reality check to see kickboxing burns 312 cals rather than the 400-500 the database days. Anyone know how accurate the calorie burn is on this thing?
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Guess it's a reality check to see kickboxing burns 312 cals rather than the 400-500 the database days. Anyone know how accurate the calorie burn is on this thing?

What I heard was it is total calories burned, not net. Since you burn a certain amount just sitting on the couch watching TV, it will always over estimate your burn from exercise. After I got started on maintenance I had to have a better method, so I do 120% of the cardio I log. That seems to be doing pretty good for me.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

I got lazy this morning and didn't do my usual AM cardio. But I did several hours of shopping, then cooked supper when I got home, so that is something. And I had mostly fruit for lunch, so if I can keep the late night snacking in check, I will stay under my calorie goal. If not I will have to Gazelle off into the sunset.

Glad to hear everyone is coping with the snow/rain storms. Stay safe driving/biking and shoveling.

Larro
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!! Glad those up north are coping and staying safe!! Got off work a little late than expected so had to do s quick workout at home instead of a longer one I planned at the gym. Eating was better today but not perfect. I'm still doing 16:8 and need to plan my meals better so I eat most during the day and not need to eat 700 cals at dinner time.

3furballs, when I want to be a little more accurate with my calorie burn I wear my polar heart rate monitor.

Keep up the good work!!!!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    larrodarro wrote: »
    3furballs wrote: »
    Guess it's a reality check to see kickboxing burns 312 cals rather than the 400-500 the database days. Anyone know how accurate the calorie burn is on this thing?

What I heard was it is total calories burned, not net. Since you burn a certain amount just sitting on the couch watching TV, it will always over estimate your burn from exercise. After I got started on maintenance I had to have a better method, so I do 120% of the cardio I log. That seems to be doing pretty good for me.

so what is 120% of your cardio log? Not sure what that means? When I put in the minutes I work out with an exercise calculator it shows me burning 400-500, but the fitbit charge hr shows 312 which I assume is based on the heart rate it reads from me during exercise. It will be interesting to see how it reads kettlebell tomorrow since the flex didn't show much activity since you don't jump around as much as Kickboxing but kettlebell is a hell of a workout.

• alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Joanna, My chocolate cravings are such that I simply plan them in to multiple snacks daily. I make my own chocolate syrup using raw local honey, for the immune boost and the calorie control, and I don't try to avoid chocolate at all - I just work to limit it. I've found that if I tell myself to wait 1/2 hour before that next Hershey's mini, sometimes I forget it entirely. And most of the time I savor all 42 calories of dark luscious chocolate and don't give myself a hard time about it. Because to me, a bit of chocolate is a quality of life issue!
    Joanna331 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm 41. I've got a terrible sweet tooth and find it so hard to resist anything chocolately the more I try not to eat it the more I want it. Good luck to everyone - always grateful for any advice/tips
    Joanna

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Kid's !
    It has been almost a week since Josie's last meltdown. Adds sigh of relief here. Still no call back from the counselor but maybe things are improving on their own ? I hope and pray so.

Today my Mom is going to babysit for a few hours while I go to the gym. I'm super excited to go back but a little worried she won't want to come home later. Wish me lots of luck avoiding a tantrum there.

I managed to salvage/alter 10 shirts and 2 skirts. I'm stoked about that. LOL. A NSV....my Mom saw how big my bras were and gave me a couple of her smaller ones ( she said she didn't wear ) LMAO. I have no curves anymore. LOL. Went from 42C to 36B .
    I was a little sad to realize all of last years shorts won't be any use this year.

On a side note...spent several hours looking at old pictures the other day. Crazy to see how big I was. Yet liberating too in a way.

Hello Newbies ! Stick around we are a great group. :)

*** As for chocolate cravings I usually keep some raisinets in the house. I usually won't eat more than a handful of those. Though in the beginning I would buy those ww smart ones desserts so I didn't feel deprived.

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    And most of the time I savor all 42 calories of dark luscious chocolate and don't give myself a hard time about it. Because to me, a bit of chocolate is a quality of life issue!

I totally agree with this. Gotta have a little bit! :yum:
    I shoveled again today. SNOW. IS. HEAVY!!!- I know it's winter, but it does get tiring after a while, and I realized last night that I forgot to shovel out the other side of my driveway where I typically pull in and almost got stuck! Yikes :anguished: Anyhow, I think I have decided to pull in where I pull out and then just back out until winter is over or we have a thaw at some point.
    Tons of fluctuation in my weight these days. I just can't seem to regulate it- down two lbs one day and up two pounds the next- doesn't make sense sometimes. We start our "biggest loser" challenge at work next week. I will definitely be signing up and weighing in! :smile:

• EsKezzy
    EsKezzy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Curiousgeorgie – Thanks! I didn't even see that there.
    Nikon – That is a wonderful story. Congratulations on your hard work

I have to go to work this morning which means I’m going to have to figure out how/where to squeeze in a workout this evening.
  • syligirl
    syligirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here, but I felt the need to get a little support. Last year I lost 50 lbs. yay it was wonderful, I felt great. I did insanity, zumba, and walked, and just overall learned how to eat healthy. I have always struggled with weight, and one main factor is my addiction to carbs and sweets. I felt I had finally conquered it and it was so amazing. I had such will power and I hated working out but I knew what it was what I needed and I was disciplined. I had muscles I never knew existed!

I am in college, working full time, I do a bunch of stuff with my church, and then my daughter got married in December. so Around Mid November in the middle of planning, I just stopped. I stopped walking, stopped logging. and thought I would just take a few weeks off. So here we are in Feb, I have not had the desire to start again. I try to monitor my eating and walk some but I just have lost it and cannot get it back! My Sister is a fitness fanatic, and she told me she has done the same and it takes months. Well I have put back on 15 lbs...and I am so depressed about it. Yep I know what I need to do, eat right, work out....but for some reason I just get so busy and think... I really do not want to do that right now..I will start tomorrow..

How do you get the grove back?

S
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello I would to join this and connect with 40+ people too! I need to lose about 10lbs. Its all about making small tweaks for me. I work out regularly, eat very healthy but a variety of medications over the past few years packed on 20lbs. Down 10 just by getting off all of those medications. I prefer holistic and natural approaches to things. Feel free to add me!