40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    syligirl, maybe try a new workout, I know I've stayed in the grove (though I am now trying to lose 10lbs) exercise wise because I love my workout. Maybe try something totally different?
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    larrodarro wrote: »
    3furballs wrote: »
    Guess it's a reality check to see kickboxing burns 312 cals rather than the 400-500 the database days. Anyone know how accurate the calorie burn is on this thing?

What I heard was it is total calories burned, not net. Since you burn a certain amount just sitting on the couch watching TV, it will always over estimate your burn from exercise. After I got started on maintenance I had to have a better method, so I do 120% of the cardio I log. That seems to be doing pretty good for me.

so what is 120% of your cardio log? Not sure what that means? When I put in the minutes I work out with an exercise calculator it shows me burning 400-500, but the fitbit charge hr shows 312 which I assume is based on the heart rate it reads from me during exercise. It will be interesting to see how it reads kettlebell tomorrow since the flex didn't show much activity since you don't jump around as much as Kickboxing but kettlebell is a hell of a workout.

What I do is log 5 minutes for every 6 minutes of exercise. Or 10 for 12, etc... And since I watch TV using the DVR when I work out, I add 1 minute for fast forwarding. So for the 10 minutes logged on the Gazelle for instance, I put 13 minutes on the timer. The big advantage of the fitbit and other electronic means of tracing, is it has a way to measure intensity. So I would guess your kickboxing is closer to the 312 than to 400-500. But using my method it would be between 333 and 416.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day! Finally got a good run in yesterday. Temps were on the milder side (-10C). Felt good to run outside again. Curled last night as well, but we only curled 5 ends. Not much of a workout. Am attempting a fast day today...wish me luck. My workout class is low impact tonight, so am hoping that I can make it through.

I agree with eating a bit of chocolate...it is a quality of life issue for me too. :D My problem is, when a little bit turns into too much. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Welcome to all the new guys. Hope you can stick around a while.

Kate, enjoy your quiet time at the gym.

KS, that snow is giving you a workout. It is raining here this morning, but no shoveling required.

EsKezzy, I never do well with PM cardio. If I don't get started on my workout as soon as I get up, it may be skipped. {like yesterday}

All chocolate lovers, I have two or three kinds of chocolate granola that I will have a taste of with my nightly ice cream when I'm craving it. But you have to use it very lightly. The granola part is just as high calorie as the chocolate.

Everyone else, hey.

I got my AM cardio in. I've added 10 pushup to my usual mix for the last week. All I could find in the database was "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups) vigorous effort", and I am far from vigorous, and short of a minute, so I'm not logging it. If I can work my way up, I will later on.

I'm going in to water lobby plants later this afternoon. Margie and I will go out to eat when she gets off work.

Yesterday I stumbled into a $5 brown bag sale at the Catholic Church Thrift Store. It was a Ralph Lauren bonanza. I got Chaps and Polo, pants and shirts. I was running late so I didn't have time to hunt though the ladies' clothes for Margie, but I did get her a Columbia pj top that was in the men's sleepwear section. I didn't do a count, but I would guess about 10 or 11 shirts, pants and shorts for $5. Now if I just had a little more closet space.......

Hope all has a good day,

Larro
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Larro~ I thought I was a shopoholic, but you have me beat!!!

790x4majw2p5.jpg
  • 3furballs
    Options
    larraodarro thanks for the explanation.

I got in my kettlebell this morning but my new fitbit charge hr showed heart rates of 75 and 93 (when I checked) and when I manually checked it was more in the 114 range which makes sense. I'm going to exchange the fitbit for a large so I can wear it higher on my arm during kettlebell since the bell hits it where it sits and the small band is too small for much movement.

Just came in from shoveling. Can't really complain, dh and the kids have done most of it so far this year. I was just getting rid of what the plow yesterday left and trying to widen the spot so you don't bounce the van off the snow pillars in the driveway!

I always have some kind of sweets on hand, barkthins from Costco currently and I made skinny chocolate chocolate chip muffins which I put in the freezer and have protected from the kids! They're super yummy and I'll be making them again this weekend.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I've been sick as a dog the last few days. Finally dragged myself to work today, but still not feeling aces. Ugh.

It's around 70 degrees outside today, but if feels stuffy to me. Probably just the bug I'm fighting. I think I may still be a little feverish. We should be getting some rain in the next day or two. I hope so. We sure do need it. We got nothing in January.

All I've done over the last few days is hybernate under the covers and sleep a lot. Hopefully my vim and vigor will return soon!

Someone over on the "Random Thoughts" thread posted this pretty picture of the Kankakee River so I thought I share it here. I'm using it as wallpaper on my computer. Since we don't get the winter wonderland feel in my neck of the woods, I like to put up pictures of wintery places.

tnhk4r3unz6g.jpg

I started another batch of mixed sprouts to sprouting this morning. I'm still surprised at how easy it is to make your own sprouts. I've been sprouting 2 tbs of sprouting seeds twice weekly since last October.

You all have a nice day!

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    syligirl wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here, but I felt the need to get a little support. Last year I lost 50 lbs. yay it was wonderful, I felt great. I did insanity, zumba, and walked, and just overall learned how to eat healthy. I have always struggled with weight, and one main factor is my addiction to carbs and sweets. I felt I had finally conquered it and it was so amazing. I had such will power and I hated working out but I knew what it was what I needed and I was disciplined. I had muscles I never knew existed!

I am in college, working full time, I do a bunch of stuff with my church, and then my daughter got married in December. so Around Mid November in the middle of planning, I just stopped. I stopped walking, stopped logging. and thought I would just take a few weeks off. So here we are in Feb, I have not had the desire to start again. I try to monitor my eating and walk some but I just have lost it and cannot get it back! My Sister is a fitness fanatic, and she told me she has done the same and it takes months. Well I have put back on 15 lbs...and I am so depressed about it. Yep I know what I need to do, eat right, work out....but for some reason I just get so busy and think... I really do not want to do that right now..I will start tomorrow..

How do you get the grove back?

S

Welcome Syligirl! Don't despair! We have all been there. That sounded like me last quarter of last year!! I started the year very mad at myself and depressed. I just said enough is enough, no excuses!!! I hated the fact that I had worked so hard to get to where I was and succumbed to cravings, and the more you eat the more you crave. I refuse to give up and buy bigger clothes, main motivation to fit in my clothes and feel comfortable. Also a cruise in late March...3furball had a good suggestion, try something fitness wise that you have wanted to try. Also, set a short term goal and not the big picture, start slow and increase slowly until you are back to where you were. Good luck!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Triple workout today: leg day, 30 day shred level 1 and swimming. The pool felt SOOO good. After that I got in the whirlpool and then the eucalyptus sauna. It was great! I thought I had a sweet tooth but you guys are sugarholics!!!! LOL for me I need to stay away from it as much as possible because if I have a little it sets off a frenzy. When I'm eating enough food and mostly clean I do not crave it as much and I'm able to control it.

Good night!!
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    OK.... so I'm escaping this extreme cold for a week on Friday. Here's what I've done.... (and I am GOING to have fun, eat well, drink a bit and relax!)

I've created a chart for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and exercise to track while away (no access to computer....) so I can log everything when I get back.

I'm going to guestimate on the calories (I'm pretty good at that, and I'm not looking to lose this particular week.... my plan is to "maintain"!);

In addition we have reviewed possible drink options on MFP so we have a clear idea ahead of time what the calorie count will be and we've done the same for the exercise options.

The bonus is that it will be sunny and hot and we will have PLENTY of healthy food and exercising options!

Have I forgotten to think of something?
  • alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Athens1000, Hi! It really stinks when medicine that helps in one way messes up another. I've been there, and I'll cheer you on, even if I still need to lose my medical-issue weight.

Syligirl, Can you bribe yourself with something you do love? Two workouts this week = a movie, or one 30 min workout = a glass of wine? For me, getting back to exercise was giving myself permission to do low impact - yoga - until I felt better. It did take months, but I didn't really gain any weight back because I Was still monitoring intake, and doing something physically every once in a while.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,935 Member
    Options
    Today was WHT day....12 sets of 5. I Used 155 lb. barbell. Am sore. BOOM!
  • williamsbuffie
    williamsbuffie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Glad to join the group to stay motivated. It gets very frustrating trying to stay fit after 40. :\
  • williamsbuffie
    williamsbuffie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 25lbs
  • syligirl
    syligirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, I love the idea of something new and the one about bribing myself...I think that one may just work..lol..I will keep you posted. Today I did manage to walk for a bit and stayed under my calorie goal, but missed my sugar goal..Sugar is so awful..IT IS just EVERYWHERE!

Thanks again!
    Here is to another day.

S
  • 3furballs
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugar goal. I just don't have the dedication to give up my beloved sugar in everything!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    mygnsac - love that picture. Winter, despite the awful cold, can truly be a very pretty time of year. I know I am always so in awe when I am out snowshoeing or skiing.

It was awful cold this morning, -35C (-31F). this cold weather wears me down.

Made it to my workout class yesterday. I left a puddle on my mat. :p Made sure I worked out good! Fast day and water intake went well yesterday.

I too, am always over in my sugars. Darn sugar...can't get away from it! :confounded:
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    feeling quite lazy today
  • syligirl
    syligirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess it is good that most of it comes from my fruit, I try to stay under 40 sugars and I am typically hitting 60..hard when an orange has 14 and a banana has12 to 16..and then add in my coffee which is my indulgence but I love my coffee with cream and sugar! And that is it. I am over for the day before dinner even has arrived.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, dropping in to say hello and hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

I had extreme fit last night and we had a kettleball circuit that had to be done 3 times. I was swinging a 30lb one for 2 sets and wondered why it was so heavy. I thougth I had a 20lb one. I guess I have raised my bar even higher now. Sheesh...lol I train tonight and that will be more lifting. Mizuno is now my sneaker of choice. 2 pairs in now and they cradle my feet like pillows.

I am happy that all of you are still plugging away. I am still cheering you on.

Have a great day everyone.

As Beeps would say "BOOM"