40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi Hope! You'll find lots of inspiration here and ideas on getting and keeping fit. Here's hoping for your continued health!

Blah! Woke up to....snow on the ground! Just an inch or two and I'm sure it'll be gone (hopefully) by the end of the day, but seriously! Everyone thinks global warming will warm up the planet, not so much, it messes with weather patterns like crazy though.

I feel so sorry for the birds in their nests trying to keep the eggs warm, not even any leaves on the trees to help!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Happy Thursday all! Kickboxing tonight- hopefully she won't cancel again. I did not get the gazelle out as I got home late last night and just did my dishes and went to bed.

Kate- Hubby is coming home Saturday. I posted it earlier this week- you must have missed it. I am very excited to have him coming home!

I do have to say though that I am feeling a bit unprepared. I bought a shower bench yesterday and have a bar for his side of the bed. We are looking into what kind of walker is going to work best for him and he will be trying a different kind out today than what he has been using. I am worried that he will have trouble getting through some of the doorways. I see some renovations in the near future. So much to think about! :/ But at the same time- :smiley:

Larro- beans look great! I keep debating on a garden now that I have room for one, but we have so many deer around our property. I think I might try some tomatoes and few other things in pots first before I go digging up the ground!! Any suggestions for growing things in pots??
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had the best day yesterday. Went on my son's confirmation trip. We went to Luther Seminary and had an awesome tour guide. He is 25 and about to graduate and had so much positive energy and very intelligent! Learned and was able to take in some really cool art pieces they have there. We also went to Feed My Starving Children and packed Manna Packs for starving children. Our group that day packed 80 boxes of food in about
    1 1/2 hours. It was really touching and felt awesome to know that food is going to help feed people who would otherwise go hungry that day. I woke out this morning and wished I could go out and do more for the world instead of come to my regular job. I am going to work on finding more ways to reach out and help :)
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday Cool Kids.
    Apologies for my MIA-ness. So busy at work, and totally over the computer by the time I get home, so just haven't been posting. BUT I've been reading and see both joyous and sad news.

KS, so so so happy for you and hubby. Can't wait for your Saturday. Enjoy kickboxing today!
    Furballs, sorry you lost your furry friend. You have almost 20 years of happy memories, and that's pretty sweet.
    Caramel, my thoughts and sympathy go out to your co-worker. How terribly tragic for that family. I know she will be grateful for your support while she's grieving. :'(
    Ruby, I hear you about the mirrors. :/ I try not to look and judge, but it's hard. Also a little motivating!
    Alisha, what a flower show! Dogwoods are my favorites. They're just finishing up here. What is the Daily Burn?
    Beeps, hope you enjoyed your rest day, now go lift something really heavy!
    Allenpriest, I love watching kids play chess! You could maybe do squats while your standing there? ;)
    Alf, is Bikram the hot style yoga? I haven't tried that, but MapMyFitness says an hour of that burns over 1K calories!
    Jackie, how weird, and kinda cool, that mysterious voices 'spirited' you up that hill!
    Larro, has it dried out there yet? How's your garden holding up?
    Hello to everyone else, sorry if I missed responding to you! Welcome new folks.

I will be MIA some more over the weekend. Our kayak club has a 3-day event starting tomorrow, so I will be paddling a LOT for the next few days. It's whale season, so I hope to get some great wildlife shots to share with you all.

Have an awesome weekend!

• dmode67
    dmode67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Hello 40+ Club!!! This is the first post of the new thread!!! Hope you like the title!!! Thank Chris (whoheis) or complain if you dont like it. LOL

For those who would like to join: We are a group of 40+ (40 yrs and older) peope who like to stay healthy by eating clean, exercising, etc. We support each other by providing health info, giving each other ideas on how to be healthy as we get older. Feel free to join the conversation. We usually report our weightloss/ weight gain, inches lost, struggles, goals, etc on Fridays.

What are your fitness/health goals for this year??? For me, I have started a new lifting program, New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am on my second week. My goal is to become stronger, lose fat, get leaner. I overdid it (not surprising to me) during the Holidays so I have to lose a few pounds and inches...I also want to focus on my nutrition, especially increasing my protein consumption. I am a Zumba Instructor and will of course continue with teaching my 4 classes a week.

Have a great day!!!!! :flowerforyou:

• dmode67
    dmode67 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is there anyone who want to workout with me I live in Chesapeake VA
    Im 40 and OVER
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks alf1163! It has felt like a long time getting to this point again. Sounds like a good workout at the gym, even if the pool hasn't been a part of things...yet.

3furballs I am in Southern Ontario as well. Had snow & freezing rain here this morning and lots if accidents. Made me glad I went to work real early today.

Welcome Hope! Glad to have you here!!!

Georgianna I figure whatever gets me moving and moving faster can keep encouraging me all it wants. Try to stop me and I might have to stomp on it. lol

Got in a 30 minute run during lunch today...split 1 min walking and 3 min running. Was only supposed to do 20 min for the training but thought I'd do extra and kick my own buttocks.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Hope, people call me Hopie. I'm 44 years old. I'm battling cancer for the 3rd time now. I am 5'3 and I'm wanting to lose 20-30 pounds. I have a genetic condition called Von Hippel-Lindau Syndrome. VHL syndrome is an inherited disorder characterized by the formation of tumors and fluid-filled sacs (cysts) in many different parts of the body. I am married to a wonderful husband and artist and have a 13 year old that shares the VHL condition with me and unfortunately suffered a stroke because of it. I'm very excited to have found MFP and the club to help get back and stay in shape and to make new friends. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Hopie, welcome!!! You are a warrior!!! You sound very motivated! Let us know how you are doing!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just found out one of my daughter's best friend commited suicide. She left 3 children behind, one with autism. How sad!!!!

I did another double workout today. This morning ripped in 30 and mini challenge. This afternoon 30 mins in the pool (kicked my own bootay) and then treated myself in the hot tub and eucalyptus steam room!!! Curious, yes, Bikram is hot yoga. Over 1k kcals? I believe it! I take the 90min class. Love it!!!!

Can't believe it's so cold up there!!! Yikes! 85 here today!!!

Take care everyone!!!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Kate7294 wrote: »

Larro- I'm so envious. Question for you ( A friend started writing a column " Fanatical Botanical " for the newspaper ) Do you plant cover crops during the dormant season ? In her column she stated you needed to till the soil less and plant something like clover or so forth while your garden is dormant.

I don't plant a cover crop, but I do till in the pea plants when they play out. I try to plant more peas about every 21-28 days.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    KellySue67 wrote: »

Larro- beans look great! I keep debating on a garden now that I have room for one, but we have so many deer around our property. I think I might try some tomatoes and few other things in pots first before I go digging up the ground!! Any suggestions for growing things in pots??

I couldn't garden without a fence. It is kind of pricey, but once you put it up, you have it. There is sprays and stuff that will keep deer away.

I'm doing my tomatoes in pots this year. Our soil has whatever it is that causes Early Wilt in tomatoes and there isn't anything you can do if you have it but move off and leave it. One trick in growing in pots is to sink them down past the holes in the bottom so it holds the water better. But other than that, good potting soil, good plant food, and the right amount of water is all it takes.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    [quote="ruby70;32222685" We also went to Feed My Starving Children and packed Manna Packs for starving children. Our group that day packed 80 boxes of food in about
    1 1/2 hours. It was really touching and felt awesome to know that food is going to help feed people who would otherwise go hungry that day. I woke out this morning and wished I could go out and do more for the world instead of come to my regular job. I am going to work on finding more ways to reach out and help :) [/quote]

There is nothing like helping folks to make you feel good. Glad you were able to do some good for the community.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Larro, has it dried out there yet? How's your garden holding up?

I will be MIA some more over the weekend. Our kayak club has a 3-day event starting tomorrow, so I will be paddling a LOT for the next few days. It's whale season, so I hope to get some great wildlife shots to share with you all.

After about three days of no rain, I had to use the soaker hoses. I'm on a sand hill and it dries out in a hurry. I transplanted a row of chili peppers after work today. Also saw the first squash/blooms today.

Have fun on the water. I'm going to hit the river as soon as I can find a free day.

4xl919b6p90w.jpg
  • 3furballs
    Options
    First time at combat conditioning in months. Crazy stuff. Fun and challenging. Always start that class looking at everything and thinking CRAP how am I going to do that! But some how I do!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 12 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Volume 1 Back to Core"=Done!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. I'm 53 and have lost 100 pounds over the last 4 years. No fads, just eating right and exercise. Still need to drop another 25 pounds. Always up for encouraging others. :smiley:
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Nice job toadhunter!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. I'm 53 and have lost 100 pounds over the last 4 years. No fads, just eating right and exercise. Still need to drop another 25 pounds. Always up for encouraging others. :smiley:

Way to go! !
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!!! Sounds like everyone is doing well.
    @alf1163- so sorry to hear about your daughter's best friend! So tragic!
    @cancervixen and @toadhunter911- welcome!!!! :)
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    "Day: 12 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Volume 1 Back to Core"=Done!

great job! You are on a roll. I know that program is very intense. Any luck we will get before & after photos?