40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,931 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am lifting to orrow. BOOM!

What happened to curiousgeorge? Larrodarro? And other "regulars"?

Where did they go and why did they stop posting?
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    BACK=DONE!
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy you are just a machine. Between the exercise you plan to do and what your pup adds it is impressive.

alf1163 I'm still 55 pounds from goal so about half way but still that 3lbs looked great on the scale. :)
  • strose88
    strose88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Would like to join this group. At 53, seeing/feeling physical changes that seem out of my control for the first time in my life. Need to lose 10-15 lbs. but just haven't been able to do it no matter what I do. My bod was never like that in previous decades. Trying to "embrace" the natural changes (weight, libido, appearance) but would certainly feel all-around better if I can shed these unwanted lbs. and tone the new wiggly skin I'm beginning to see!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all new posters!!

Alf1163 I'm new to kettlebells but have wanted to try for years. I bought a set of dvds to try at home a few years back and actually got round to undoing the cellophane yesterday haha!! I did do one session with a trainer last year but a previous shoulder injury that hadn't fully healed stopped me from doing any more.

I'm seeing good results from one of the ladies in the SL5x5 group on mfp who uses them on rest days for a bit of cardio which seems ideal. Just 20 mins at time so won't interfere with lifting. I'm looking forward to giving it a proper go.

I've just bought a 6kg and an 8kg to use at home. Anything heavier I will do at the gym for now, until I get to know whether it's worth spending more money or whether they will ens up being used as doorstops on windy days!!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well I somehow hurt my lower back/sacrailiac(sp?) on Saturday, Sunday and yesterday were rest days other than walking to work and I got to the chiro last night, but my lower back is still sore. I think I will aim to go to kettlebell but play it by ear as to what exercises are ok.
  • gitrbldr
    gitrbldr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and tore my ACL sparing in Karate. sounds like a cooler story than it is I'm a blue belt taking karate to do something with my 16y/o son had a bad spill one night and MESSED up my knee. It ended up being a blessing in disguise instead of going through the motions just to do something with my son now I have to rehab the knee I trying to take it a step further and really get into great shape and lose about 40 lbs. I'd like to join too
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids!

I've been lurking on and off, and still reading everyone's posts. I've been following the 17 day diet plan, so I'm not tracking calories, hence not using MFP as much. BUT this diet plan is totally working for me. I'm down 20 lbs from my December high. :)

It's great to "see" all of you still here (furballs, alf, beeps, natalie, G3G and pup, Allenpriest, Lsarro, Jackie! Hi everyone!), and some new regulars too (Kimi!)

We're having a very wet winter here in NW Cal, but still commuting on two wheels ... I usually get 3 days on the bicycle, and 2 on the motorcycle. Winter kayaking has been great. Big swells are fun, and all that bracing makes for an interesting workout.

Keep up the good work and fun everyone.
  • justsaynyet
    justsaynyet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. I would love to get some inspiration from this group. I am a 47-year-old hard-working mother of two boys ages 10 and eight. I bike to work and walk a lot with my new puppy. I also work out hard in the gym about twice a week. I would really love to lose 10 pounds and most of the time I eat healthy foods – lean proteins whole grains, lots of vegetables. But then somehow I can't resist spoonfuls of cookie dough, pastries. I'm not depressed- I don't know why I do it. How do you help yourself resist these delicious and super unhealthy snacks?
  • justsaynyet
    justsaynyet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And curious Georgianna – what is the 17 day diet plan?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,931 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimmi, Hi 3fur, and HI CURIOUS!!

Woohooooooooooooo!!

The regulars RETURN.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well I got to kettlebell and it made my back actually feel a bit better. I suspect it'll be sore again in the morning.

Beeps, nice to see you are still lifting. BOOM

Curious, glad to see you are still going strong. We've had a really mild wet gray winter. Had a few days of really cold clear weather which was a nice change.

Welcome to everyone!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I turned 41 last week. I am down about 160 pounds in 2 years.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids!

I've been lurking on and off, and still reading everyone's posts. I've been following the 17 day diet plan, so I'm not tracking calories, hence not using MFP as much. BUT this diet plan is totally working for me. I'm down 20 lbs from my December high. :)

It's great to "see" all of you still here (furballs, alf, beeps, natalie, G3G and pup, Allenpriest, Lsarro, Jackie! Hi everyone!), and some new regulars too (Kimi!)

We're having a very wet winter here in NW Cal, but still commuting on two wheels ... I usually get 3 days on the bicycle, and 2 on the motorcycle. Winter kayaking has been great. Big swells are fun, and all that bracing makes for an interesting workout.

Keep up the good work and fun everyone.

Great to hear from you again!!! I'm glad you are doing well!!! What is that diet you are doing?

• alf1163
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    I turned 41 last week. I am down about 160 pounds in 2 years.

Wow! Impressive! Keep up the good work!

• alf1163
    Options
    @justsaynyet, welcome!!! I love sweets as well and that is definitely what derails my plan to lose. What helps me the most is to keep it out if my house!!!! LOL Fortunately I tend to be the one that either buys or makes the sweets (I love to bake) so since I'm struggling to lose the Holiday gain I've controlled myself lately. It's hard, I know.

@3furballs, I hope you get better soon. Do you follow a specific kettle bell program?

@strose88, welcome!!! I'm 52. I hear you!!! My goal weight is 125 so right now I'm 10 lbs over. The same 10lbs I keep losing and "somehow" gaining in the past few years. Ugh!!!!! What is your plan?

@gitrbldr, sorry about your injury. Ouch! I hope you get better soon.

I did an upper body workout today. My toe is still healing. My plan is to do lower body tomorrow but just leg lifts, etc.

Have a great evening!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    First time! My name is Shana and I am 48. I'm 5'9" and currently at 200lb. Back in the 90s I lost 90 lbs (after my 3rd child was born). I was at 140lb for forever, and then I got divorced. Stress eating, then meeting my new husband, and then happy eating :) All of that contributed to a weight gain of 60lb (UGH)!! So I am on my way back down again.

My goal for this year is to exercise daily. Most days it will be hard cardio and strength training, and on off days just taking walk with the dog, or housework :) I have lost 7lb since January 1, and my goal is to get back to 150. I think that 140 at my age is a little overly optimistic, especially given that in my family, women hold their weight.

I know aaaaaallll about how to lose weight, having done it successfully, and my issue is too much wine, I think. I have the exercise thing down, and the eating thing is going really well, but giving up the wine is tough. To combat this I am currently allowing myself 8oz each night. It seems to be going well, and I don't feel deprived. So, yay me :#
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Bis & Tris=Done!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi shana!

20 mins kettlebells for me before work this morning.... Quite enjoyed it but considering it was only 20 mins, I certainly needed to get into the shower straight after... I was dripping buckets!!

Mind you.... Then had two cookies for breakfast!!!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Hi shana!

20 mins kettlebells for me before work this morning.... Quite enjoyed it but considering it was only 20 mins, I certainly needed to get into the shower straight after... I was dripping buckets!!

Mind you.... Then had two cookies for breakfast!!!
    were they oatmeal cookies? that counts as a "breakfast food". :P