• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @adamantine_lady :)
  • agbmom556
    Options
    Sunday-2.5 miles
    Monday-Body pump class during lunch hour.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Great to see a bunch of newbie Cool Kids....welcome all.

@ExquisitieRN -Way to get the ball rolling!
    @Beeps 2011: (Lift/weigh/work/repeat) Hammered it!

I'm moving into a new off season training cycle and I typically try to evaluate and improve the mix of foods in my diet and examine the natural supplements I take at this time of year.

I currently take Cod Liver Oil ( Omega 3 - heart/brain health) and Spirulina/Chlorella and/or Wheatgrass tablets (Chlorophyll - calcium/phosphorus for cell health ) daily, as well as Flax/Hemp/Chia seeds occasionally, often in smoothies or on salads. The other food/mineral element I'm considering is Magnesium, either from foods such as cacao nibs or shredded coconut, or via absorption through the skin from Epson Salt soaks.

So, I have two questions for the Cool Ones:

1) Does anyone use Epson Salt baths as a way to get magnesium into your system, and if so, how often?
    2) Do you feel the relaxation effects on muscles when you soak or bath in it?

Of course, I would love to hear any other suggestions you might have around dietary improvements you've made...... including tips on how to stay away from the d*mn peanut butter at night! ;)

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,990 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey cool kids...trying to get back on track with my weekly workouts and finally got everything in for my typical Monday - 30 minutes on the glider (2.13 miles); 4 minutes of planks and instead of doing an inverted pyramid circuit just did 20 ea of 6 chosen body weight exercises. Got some SUP in on Saturday (though it was only 3.13 miles), and hope to go out tomorrow morning for some more paddling. Have a 4 mile race in a few weeks, so need to get my butt in gear for it.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    5km done
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 Plyocide"=Done!
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx, I use Epsom Salts, but not as a supplement, just to relieve soreness. In fact, I didn't think about that health benefit, thanks!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    @Djproulx, I use Epsom Salts, but not as a supplement, just to relieve soreness. In fact, I didn't think about that health benefit, thanks!

Good to know that it actually reduces soreness, since I'm always looking for ways to improve muscle recovery.
  • agbmom556
    Options
    @Djproulx - I use Epsom Salts to soak my feet. I also add some lavender oil to the salts.
    Instantly relaxing. I believe it helps heal my skin. :)
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I want to be a cool kid too
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool ones!

P90X: Plyometric Done!

@Djproulx for relieving muscles soreness I use Rumble roller, or any foam roller out there, it hurts while using it, but has great benefits for muscles
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    gojaqs wrote: »
    Just got my official TA Century photo:
    9jl80vdj9e3h.jpg

Very cool! Cycling is so fun isn't it :D
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @agbmom556: Sounds great, though I"m guessing that I'd have to surrender my "man card" if I added any scented oils. ;)

@gojaqs: That picture says there's another 100 in your near term future.

@MJFSH: Yes, agree, rolling is a necessary discomfort. Rolling the quads is particularly painful, so I'm looking to supplement with something less invasive.
  • shoeoptional
    shoeoptional Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    42 and like Garth Brooks says, "I'm much too young to feel this damn old." Started (again) 51 days ago at my all-time heaviest (352 pounds) and am down to 328. I follow the Autoimmune Protocol diet which is like a more restricted Paleo diet. I did this to reduce overall inflammation that typically is caused by my psoriasis. I kicked all grains, refined sugars, processed foods, all booze and alcohol, certain foods (nightshades, nuts, seeds, etc.) most dairy (except for a splash in my coffee). Quitting booze was easier than I thought but staying off coffee was a miserable experience. I'll quit it if I absolutely have to. Been walking everyday and am about to start strength training but don't even know where to start. Thanks for starting the 40+ club.
  • agbmom556
    Options
    @Djproulx - run the salt bath in your bath tub, add scented oil, invite your loved one and share wine while you soak your feet. Win! Win! :D
  • Djproulx
    Options
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    @Djproulx - run the salt bath in your bath tub, add scented oil, invite your loved one and share wine while you soak your feet. Win! Win! :D

@agbmom556 - great idea. I clearly need to expand my thinking beyond the "Epsom salt only" approach. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,929 Member
    Options
    That's a GREAT photo, gojaqs!!