40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Last week was a crazy week for me. Late nights and long days between work, kids, college class, and the side business. Then throw two days working a booth at a convention. The good news though is that my weekly average dropped 1.6 lbs to 165.1 :smile: . I'm just hoping all the standing and walking around for two days offsets the fast food I was eating.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 Plyocide"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    exr_nick wrote: »
    Yay I finally found a forum for my age bracket! I'm male 48, 5 11 and have been on MFP for 3 weeks. I started at 225 and dropped to 165 using WW in 08. Kept the weight off via trail running until 2015 when plantar fasciitis sidelined me. I got back to 195 before the alarm bells went off. I'm at 182 currently ... Shooting for 159 with a max of 10 miles running per week

@exr_nick - WTG on the weight loss.
    There are some similarities in our situations. Interested in your plan for a 159 goal weight and max of 10 miles/week. Is your planned weekly mileage derived as a way to minimize the chance of the Plantar issues recurring?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,927 Member
    Options
    I did not have enough time to lift, today....did a 20-minute elliptical HIIT and a stretch. And a shower!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Took some scouts 5.5 miles cross country Saturday then took the dog three miles Sunday night and tonight.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    5km done
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    P90X Plyometric done!
  • exr_nick
    exr_nick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Yay I finally found a forum for my age bracket! I'm male 48, 5 11 and have been on MFP for 3 weeks. I started at 225 and dropped to 165 using WW in 08. Kept the weight off via trail running until 2015 when plantar fasciitis sidelined me. I got back to 195 before the alarm bells went off. I'm at 182 currently ... Shooting for 159 with a max of 10 miles running per week

There are some similarities in our situations. Interested in your plan for a 159 goal weight and max of 10 miles/week. Is your planned weekly mileage derived as a way to minimize the chance of the Plantar issues recurring?

Hi thanks. Yes the max is to minimize the risk of PF returning. It's a horrible condition which can affect your ability to even walk! So I'm biking 5x per week during my lunch break, doing 2x eliptical at the gym per week and some half-hearted lifting. Food wise ... Cutting the beer and refined carbohydrates. I still eat starchy plants and fruit so I wouldn't call my diet Atkins.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    2 hours ride done! My morning cycling buddy couldn't make it this morning, I normally would just call it off but today I still went ahead as we might get hit by a typhoon tomorrow. If so which means at least 2 days no riding, that will be disaster :s
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    hi I also want to join. 46 now.Like to cycle 4 times a week.But is gaining weight instead of loosing.Eating a little less than MFP suggests for me.Want to loose 5kg.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention I also did 100 reps of goblet squats and 100 reps of knee push ups. I did them at home so no DBs, I just hold some books for the squats lol!

This is some sort of 30 days challenge I made for myself. So Day 1 done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Hi thanks. Yes the max is to minimize the risk of PF returning. It's a horrible condition which can affect your ability to even walk! So I'm biking 5x per week during my lunch break, doing 2x eliptical at the gym per week and some half-hearted lifting. Food wise ... Cutting the beer and refined carbohydrates. I still eat starchy plants and fruit so I wouldn't call my diet Atkins.

Understand your pain. I'm prone to achilles and PF issues that often flare up when I exceed about 20mpw. My normal post run routine includes sitting and rolling my feet back and forth over frozen water bottles to reduce inflammation. I also stand on Yamuna Foot Wakers several times a day while at work to help build alignment, flexibility and balance in my feet.

And, of course, beer is a proven pain reliever...............but you know that. ;)
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Had a *screw everything* evening yesterday after leaving the doctor.

I've been serious about my health & on MFP since 7/1/2016. I've been making healthy food choices and building my strength and endurance with exercise that includes walking, jogging, weights, yoga, Pilates, etc. I'm so pleased with my progress.

I learned that my cholesterol issues had finally come home to roost about a month ago when we discovered arterial blockages in my legs after a doctor's visit for leg pain. Sooo, Im focused and dealing with that but my doctor wants me to go see my neurologist. The neurologist tells me yesterday that my leg pain is likely due to a bulging disk (to be confirmed by MRI in a week). Of course I ask about what that means for my exercise and he tells me NO RUNNING, NO HEAVY WEIGHTS, he even tells me that I shouldn't try to walk fast! *Pausing here because I feel like crying.*

I've had success because I use exercise so that I don't feel deprived in my "dieting". I eat what I want (pretty healthy choices) and just work my butt off to stay within my calorie limit. Plus I've come to crave my walks/jogs, I feel my stress melt away in the rhythm of my steps.

I'm pissed. I don't want to lose the progress I've made thus far, but without my exercise, I don't know that I can manage my calories.

This is so depressing.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,989 Member
    Options
    @MiamiSeoul - sorry for the challenging news! I would have a 'screw everything' day or two too...and it's okay to be depressed and pissed for a little bit. But at a certain point you have regroup and figure out what else you could do instead, given the restrictions from the doctor. This is a minor obstacle, not a complete roadblock. Can you do some stuff in a pool whether swimming or just some exercises? Since the water is buoyant, it might be less of a strain on your back, but you could still get a solid workout. I see yoga and pilates in your list of exercises, can you focus on them for the week? Besides, he didn't say anything about slow walking...so, maybe take some strolls to melt the stress away and slow down a bit to smell the flowers and enjoy the view. Also, remember a week or so isn't forever! Take a rest break for a week - it might be just what your body needs for recouping and rebuilding. Then you'll be stronger when you get back to the more strenuous workouts. This too shall pass. (((Hugs)))
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells AOS Providence done (with an hour break in the middle for a conference call)

@MiamiSeoul sorry to hear about your back. Nerve damage sucks. Try to follow the docs advice though. Short term inactivity is better than long term nerve damage. Hopefully rest will let the bulge recede.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul

Clearly you will have to focus strongly on calorie control.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind & inspiring words @b3achy! Very shrewd advice @tojo_73 and yes @allenpriest, I'll have to make it work.

I actually feel better about what I'm facing today. I'll just have to make it work - there is no other option, I'm not going to regress. I pigged out for the first time since 7/1/16 and it was a salty, yummy pity party that is now officially over . . . BACK TO WORK!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,989 Member
    Options
    @MiamiSeoul - glad you are doing better now. Sometimes it's good to get it all out, and have that pity party and some indulging, and then get back on track. You can make it work! You can do it!!

@exr_nick & @Djproulx - have you tried compression sleeves for your plantar fasciitis issues? Some of them are garbage (like the copper ones), but the ones by Feetures! helped me a lot. I wore them for about 6-9 months, and currently I don't have PF problems anymore. I did have some issues with them where I had to take them off if they got too tight/restrictive especially if I tried to wear them to sleep (so I'd pull them off in the middle of the night), but they helped me stay pretty active. I've not had PF issues for nearly a year now, I really think they helped me get through it faster. Of course, the rolling ice bottles were helpful too.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Strength training done