40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• barrett90
    barrett90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    48 years old, empty nester, competed in half marathons and triathlons for about 6 years. Now pretty burned out, and wanting to get serious into weight training. I see how much bodies can transform with weights, plus its beneficial for women (our age) in keeping bone density. I eat clean, just struggling with macros, and trying to lean out.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    AOS Newport done - Skipped the pushup, divebomber sequence as I was running late and have chest scheduled for tomorrow. Wussed out on the sidesnatch, overhead lunge sequence and used the tiny kettlebell. Had a good food day yesterday for the first time in a few weeks (loads of veggies in the house at the moment) hopefully that is a good sign. Thinking about doing the bodybuilding.com 8-week fit challenge at the end of the month to finish the year off.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @MJFSH I heard of Cathe workouts. Recommend any for a beginner ?
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    @MJFSH I heard of Cathe workouts. Recommend any for a beginner ?

Her workouts are amazing! she's very through explaining the moves and also where exactly you need to feel the muscles contractions. I only have her STS Series and honestly that's one of the most effective weight lifting workouts i have tried. You can do her workouts as a beginner or an advanced lifter, just follow her cues and you will be golden! :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Got in a paddle yesterday and did about 2.75 miles though I didn't feel much like doing it. Got in some extra time on my glider machine tonight since I was watching a movie at the time and wanted to see what happened if I went over 100 minutes. Missed my planks yesterday but did some extra sets today to partially make up for it. Eventually, I'll get a more consistent routine for my workouts.
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First post here.

I'm 50 years old, used to be a Marathoner. My knees hurt too much now. So I invested in a very nice home gym and I work out at home. Going on 30 years of being a fitness nut.

Currently running a keto diet. I'm at 16% body fat and I'm shooting for 10% by January 1st. 60 minutes of leg circuit training tonight.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Took my bike out for a spin, got soaked and had to shorten the ride. Then went to the gym for 45mins. Hoping for good weather over the weekend...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Heading to southern Maine for the Pumpkinman Triathlon festival this weekend. My last tri of the season. I'm doing the Sprint distance race on Saturday, then my wife and I are volunteering on the run course on Sunday as three of my training partners compete in their first Half Iron distance race.

We'll do some sight seeing and shopping along the coast today while waiting for friends to arrive tonight. Any significant calorie burn from the race will be offset by a Maine lobster roll for lunch and a group dinner at the local brew pub. If I'm feeling bold, I may even try the Pumpkin Ale. :)

Stay Cool.....
  • 44rkyle
    44rkyle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How do you join groups on MFP?
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    From another amazing MFP friend:

There are only 16 more weeks in 2016.

16 weeks.

.5# a week = 8# loss
    1# a week = 16# loss
    1.5# a week = 24# loss
    2# a week = 32# loss

What is your goal?

Go get it.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Half hearted chest workout done
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous Glutes on the menu today
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 X2 Yoga"=Done!
  • purplesevens
    purplesevens Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hello all! 46 yr old divorced mom in FL. I've lost 59 pounds using MFP and want to lose another 25. Hope you guys are having a great weekend! :smiley:

I've been doing CICO and exercise but now need to start building muscle to be stronger, look better, and reduce some of the appearance of that dreaded "loose skin". Also, I've been considering whether or not to buy a home gym or join a gym. I don't really like to be around people and I'm sorta anti-social, so I think buying a machine might be the way to go, but I don't have much room for one in the house.

Anyone who wants to add me send a friend request, I'm on every day!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    15 k done - another ugly run :p Only 5 weeks to race day so I need to get my act together!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    @purplesevens - Welcome!!

I myself have been avoiding the gym membership because personally I find I pay for them, and after a few months never go. My best friend lives across the street from one, and goes daily since she can walk there...it really is all about convenience and/or dedication. If there was one closer to me, where I know I'd use it more, I might consider it, but I'm just inherently lazy. I wish the cross fit places in my area weren't so stupidly expensive, because I think I'd enjoy that kind of workout better than a regular gym.

I myself have some dumbbells, a kettlebell and resistance bands, and opt to do my thing at home. I do still have motivation challenges some days, but at least if I don't work out, I'm not paying to not do it. I've joined a couple of challenges here, to keep me motivated/accountable to do my cardio and planks. Been trying to include body weight exercises into my routine lately. Back in the day when I was in the Army (25 years ago), most of us didn't go to the gym to lift to build muscle...we did push ups, sit ups, pull ups, jumping jacks, and carried heavy weight on our backs as we hiked through mountains and woods.

One of my primary cardio activities is Stand Up Paddleboarding, which is a full body workout, and frankly has enough resistance and body weight work, that I know it helps on the strength training side as well. So I feel like if I can get out on the board at least 3 times a week, I'm doing pretty good on both cardio and strength training. Got a great 2 hour paddle in today (5.32 miles), and between the twisting, pulling water, squatting, and balancing (especially with the boat wake/waves), I'm pretty sure I got a really good workout in. And for a bonus, I got to see some pods of dolphins and a bunch of sting rays too. A great day already! :smiley:

TL/DR - You have to do what you works for you. :)