40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "Body Beast Build: Legs...with sandbags & vest"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Hey kids, deadlifts and squats done. Felt a bit limp today. Have a great day kids.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    C25K. Running is so hard. But I feel so good about it when it's done.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    cdubks88 wrote: »
    Just curious as I've not been to this thread, but it this for most part geared at lifting or are there folks from other walks?

I'm a runner but am looking to start strength conditioning and am planning to do so in the very near future to compliment my running.

Working currently on building back up to half-marathon training.....work in progress but I'll get there. Goal is to hit one first and foremost when it's not hotter than Hades out and before I hit the big Five-O next year.

Welcome @cdbubks88! No specific lifting focus here, we just happen to have a bunch of motivated lifters among us. I only move iron or do body weight stuff to support enduranced training and I haven't been kicked out yet. :)

Nice to have more runners in the group.

Appreciate the honesty. So since I'm new and not in strength conditioning/lifting yet, I have a question.....

I was thinking about working in a couple of days of complimentary strength conditioning/lifting.....just not sure where to start. I haven't lifted for a long while....like long.....and would basically just be starting over.

Didn't think squats seemed very complimentary to running but what do I know. I thought about working on upper - lats, traps etc.... what do you suggest?
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Back/Bis"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Just curious as I've not been to this thread, but it this for most part geared at lifting or are there folks from other walks?

I'm a runner but am looking to start strength conditioning and am planning to do so in the very near future to compliment my running.

Working currently on building back up to half-marathon training.....work in progress but I'll get there. Goal is to hit one first and foremost when it's not hotter than Hades out and before I hit the big Five-O next year.

Welcome @cdbubks88! No specific lifting focus here, we just happen to have a bunch of motivated lifters among us. I only move iron or do body weight stuff to support enduranced training and I haven't been kicked out yet. :)

Appreciate the honesty. So since I'm new and not in strength conditioning/lifting yet, I have a question.....

I was thinking about working in a couple of days of complimentary strength conditioning/lifting.....just not sure where to start. I haven't lifted for a long while....like long.....and would basically just be starting over.

Didn't think squats seemed very complimentary to running but what do I know. I thought about working on upper - lats, traps etc.... what do you suggest?

Since your primary goal is running, I'd suggest working on functional strength training designed to build strength in your core and the posterior chain muscle groups. I"m thinking of movements like lunges, kettlebell squats, various plank type holds and movements, including those performed on a Swiss ball: Rollouts, stir the pot, etc. On the mat, you could do both planks and bird dogs, including ones that include back flys done with dumbbells to build stability, etc. There are also lots of good options using a TRX to build both strength and balance. And I would strongly suggest "yoga for runners" (find online). Yoga sessions build both strength as well as maintaining flexibility (which is a huge focus for me).

Since my focus is triathlon performance, I do kettlebell squats and deadlifts for the purpose of building glute/hamstring strength, primarily for increased power on the bike. Upper body work on shoulders, lats, traps, etc supports freestyle swimming, so upper body work may yield more aesthetic than functional benefits for running.

Sorry for the core dump here :), but I'll end by suggesting two books by widely respected endurance writers.
    Matt Fitzgerald's "Racing Weight" has an entire section dedicated to sport specific movements that support endurance training. And Joe Friel's "Fast after 50" is written to provide insight into how we can maintain/improve sport performance as we age.

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    @alteredsteve175 - thank you. I have been taking medication. Turns out I had pink eye in both eyes, which was contracted virally because of this cold.
    I am starting to feel better, but still using some cold meds, but a whole lot less.
    Got in an hour of pilates and an hour walk yesterday! Felt good to move.

Am on the road again today. Last work trip for a while. Thank goodness!
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member

Since your primary goal is running, I'd suggest working on functional strength training designed to build strength in your core and the posterior chain muscle groups. I"m thinking of movements like lunges, kettlebell squats, various plank type holds and movements, including those performed on a Swiss ball: Rollouts, stir the pot, etc. On the mat, you could do both planks and bird dogs, including ones that include back flys done with dumbbells to build stability, etc. There are also lots of good options using a TRX to build both strength and balance. And I would strongly suggest "yoga for runners" (find online). Yoga sessions build both strength as well as maintaining flexibility (which is a huge focus for me).

Since my focus is triathlon performance, I do kettlebell squats and deadlifts for the purpose of building glute/hamstring strength, primarily for increased power on the bike. Upper body work on shoulders, lats, traps, etc supports freestyle swimming, so upper body work may yield more aesthetic than functional benefits for running.

Sorry for the core dump here :), but I'll end by suggesting two books by widely respected endurance writers.
    Matt Fitzgerald's "Racing Weight" has an entire section dedicated to sport specific movements that support endurance training. And Joe Friel's "Fast after 50" is written to provide insight into how we can maintain/improve sport performance as we age.

Fantastic feedback. Really appreciate your throughtfulness in it. Thanks! :smiley:
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Front squats to a box and bench presses. Heavy (for me) on both lifts. Not the best workout ever, but as always, I am glad that I drug my carcass out of bed this morning.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Shoulders"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    Hey kids, bench press and deadlifts done. I scheduled a hot HIIT class later today. @altersteve175 what a lovely puppy. My body still feels on the jello side. Next Meet is January 2020 and training will be underway in a few weeks. Have a great day kids
  • gam3rguy
    Felt like something different today...

"6 Weeks of THE WORK Sample Workout"=Done!
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Haven’t posted in this thread yet...but fit the criteria 44 working on getting active and some better overall health. The weight loss is secondary to that primary goal but have been working that with more emphasis the last month and a half.

Anyway...I bought a c2 rower last September...it sat in a box for 2 months then in late November I started using it. Goal was to row every day that I wasn’t traveling. I more or less continue to aceive that, with less than 10 days (probably closer to 5) of 0 meters. Most days it’s only 20 minutes, my ‘days off’ are only 15min. But continuity has been my focus.

I’m totally bragging now...because I’m mostly in shock. I just completed 1 Million meters!!!!

Seriously I’m the last person in the world who was supposed to be able to do this. I’m a self proclaimed slug when it comes to activity. I'm a smoker and a drinker. I’m pretty flaky when it comes to goals. But I did it!
  • WildAmaryllis
    WildAmaryllis Posts: 22 Member
    Hi, I'm Bev from the UK and I'm 49 years old, I've lost 126lbs and have turned my life around. I've gone from being a stressed and unhappy person who never went out to a happy and confident social butterfly. I know I'm healthy and I would like to lose another 14lbs but my body seems to like the weight I am so I'm concentrating on toning my body now. If anyone is on an extreme weight loss journey and had any questions about anything, please feel free to add me as a friend or message me 🙂
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Rest day today. Tomorrow is my gym's charity games. If I finish and don't die I'll be a happy camper
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Slowly getting some of my focus back. Want to lose the 18 extra lbs that came with being sidelined for a year, so I've resumed logging.

Hired a new tri coach starting in November and excited to work with him. He's VERY data driven, which suits my style. Betting that his "return to running" program will keep me injury free when I resume.

But for right now, I need to start with eating less and getting leaner. If I want to get faster, it's that simple. :)
  • caramelgyrlk
    Happy Friday kids. Welcome all newbies. @jayemes you're going to do great. Make us proud. @gam3rguy , keep it coming. @Djproulx, I am glad you took your time to focus on recovery. You will lose that 18 pounds in no time. I appreciate all of you that run. When I do my annual 5k, I feel like I am going to die (lol). Coach and I are going to work on my squats. UGH. Have a great weekend kids.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I'm officially down to what I was weighing in at when I broke my leg back in 2016! Kind of an exciting day for me :) While I lost weight after the break, a LOT of it was atrophy and just due to completely losing my appetite at the time - but once that returned, the weight came back quickly (the muscle, not so much). At the start of 2018 I was 11 pounds heavier. It's been up and down in that time, but overall a slow, steady loss. My fitness has made leaps and bounds. Slow road, but trusting the process to get me there!