40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    TRX Done. Meltdown shortly. I honestly HATE the scale. It causes me way to much anxiety and stress. I am lifting heavier and my clothes are looser, but the scale has not moved. .

Stop the madness!! The scale is a TOOL....it is not THE END ALL AND BE ALL.

So, if you are lifting heavier, and your clothes are looser, THAT MATTERS.

You HAVE to focus on the inputs....get enough sleep, drink plenty of water, move your body often, don't be sedentary, lift heavy weights, eat foods which delight you and fit in your calorie-alottment....

^^^^ THAT is what matters.

Let the OUTPUTS take care of themselves....a nicely-shaped body that can bear weight (i.e. lifting heavy) is waaaayyyyyyy better than what some # on a scale tells you.

BOOM.

(...also, I needed this reminder for myself, too....)

I absolutely agree! If you look great to yourself, are healthy and strong, why would a number on the scale matter at all?
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    11.07 miles Stand Up Paddleboarding today. Took over 4 hours to complete with a couple breaks. Did it for an Amazing Race Challenge. Weather was in the low 80'sF, water was super smooth, sunny, wind wasn't too bad. A glorious day for paddling.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "INSANITY MAX:30 Sweat Intervals"=Done! 27:32!
    "INSANITY MAX:30 Ab Attack:10"=Done! 6:20!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    TRX Done. Meltdown shortly. I honestly HATE the scale. It causes me way to much anxiety and stress. I am lifting heavier and my clothes are looser, but the scale has not moved. Hope all of you are well and in good spirits. Have a great day.

@caramelgyrlk.... As Beeps pointed out, a focus shift to looking more at your inputs that drive performance gains or physical appearance can be very helpful, at least it was for me. You called out two: lifting heavier and your clothes being looser. That equals SUCCESS from my point of view!

I shifted my thinking based on reading a book called "Racing Weight: Getting Lean for Peak Performance" where the author, a sports nutritionist and long time endurance coach, laid out a plan for athletes in sports that reward leanness, such as running, swimming, triathlon, etc. To boil it down, his approach has athletes measure their individual performance as they modified their diets. This subtle shift to focusing on performance results, NOT purely weight, helped many people achieve their goals, and weight loss was often a happy by product of this focus on eating to improve performance.

His premise was that endurance athletes (and I"d add weight lifters to some degree) need enough fuel to support the HARD training efforts needed to drive performance success. He then provided examples and a planning system to help people understand how to consume the right amount of fuels to support the high calorie demands of training, while also promoting body fat reductions over the LONG TERM. I know this may by TMI....but it seems to me you are doing the right things and a subtle shift in mindset may reduce any "scale anxiety" you feel.

Stay Cool!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells done. Diet has been off they last few months and the scale is up about 15lbs. So time to start logging again and get back on track. Goal is 2 months.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    No workout yesterday. Our organization prepared a community meal that happens once per month. So, we started cooking at 2 p.m., had it ready for 5:30, served it, ate with the residents and then cleaned up. I did not partake in the eating as it consisted of all gluten based foods, but certainly helped prep, cook, serve and clean up. On top of all this, we had a MAJOR snowfall yesterday, so it made everything that much more difficult. I bet we got close to a foot of snow in about 6 hours. On Monday morning, the public works guys were removing the snowbanks along the main street. This morning, we have 4' snow banks again. :p

Staff appreciation lunch today. Vegetarian minestrone, greek salad and choc covered strawberries for those of us that are g/f. It was followed by a nice walk in the very fresh air today.

Yesterday temps were -3C with heavy snow, today, it is -26C with bitter windchills. :/
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just returned from Mardi Gras in Louisiana...time for some damage control!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    There's a sprint (1k) indoor rowing event coming up and my coach tells me that members of her competitive masters team are shooting to hit at least a 2:00/500 meter pace. So, even though I'm not considering joining the team (yet), I'd like to know that I could. I hit 2:00.5 today. Surely I can shave off a half-second in two weeks.

Also, I lifted.
  • Djproulx
    Options

The Cool Kids are demanding Mardi Gras pictures........ :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Light day after the long paddle yesterday. Planks done and a couple miles on my glider.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Well, Christmas was not good to me, but I think the last few months of damage control have me back on track. :smiley:
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Only one I can share ;)
    https://goo.gl/photos/HsvMV4wJgc38AQUFA
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Only one I can share ;)
    https://goo.gl/photos/HsvMV4wJgc38AQUFA

Perfect!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "INSANITY MAX:30 Friday Fight: Round 1"=Done! 17:36!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Arms and shoulders
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Legs and Back P90X