40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hey, late arrival here. 47 year old Brit, lost 57 pounds and have a few more to go. Currently working on body sculpting and strength through lifting heavy weights.
    Would love to be part of the gang. 40s is where it happens as the kids are older. I'm on my own and this journey is all part of my transformation from frumpy to fabulous!
    x
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options
    sdereski - so sorry to read about your friend! What happened?

welcome, jojo.

A "UGIfit" workout (I think the company is at ugifit.com or maybe ugifit.ca) is simply this squishy medicine ball, of a particular weight (mine is 10 lbs) and the program gives you 5 different days of work-out exercises. Each "day" consists of 30 different exercises, each done for 1 minute. So, a 30-minute program. Part cardio/part strength.

I couldn't do 1 minute of each exercise, actually, when I gave it a go, yesterday - my cardio endurance SUCKS right now! So, I just did 10 reps of each exercise, on each leg if it was a single leg exercise, and left it at that. Work-out took 22 minutes. Perfect for a lunch-hour thing-y right in my office!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today, I go and lift. This will be my 6th day of working out IN A ROW!

THE STREAK HAS BEGUN!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello cool kids! I'm Christy. Every winter I completely lose my motivation, quit working out and start eating like there is no tomorrow. Every year I think *this* is the year I'm going to somehow break the cycle! Then it gets dark and I go into hibernation. So here I am trying to bounce back yet again. Gained 20 pounds this year, but I'm down 6 of those already, so at least I'm getting quicker on my rebounds! Ugh.

Nice to meet you all! Hope you don't mind if I hang out for a while. Need to keep my motivation up!

Howdy neighbor! I wish it would warm up, I haven't done a lap around Capitol Park since probably October. I'm done with winter. Blah!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    sdereski - so sorry to read about your friend! What happened?

Beeps, he went in for routine surgery and had a heart attack while in the OR. Came through, was conscious and was talking and suffered a second attack in recovery. They got him ready to transport to another hospital specializing in cardiac trauma, and coded again on the Tarmac. That one killed him. He was 59. :cry:
    He is also my son's FIL.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Gosh, sdereski, that's too bad. Very sorry for your loss.

Well, on the fitness front, I think my 'streak' will end today....I've got back-to-back meetings all day, and a hair appointment after work. Alas, no problem, I'll just start another 'streak' tomorrow!

And, in one of the other threads I post on here at mfp, I'm doing the February Challenge which is to keep a streak (challengers choice - mine is going to be "daily work-outs") for the entire month of February! So, this is ALL JUST PRACTICE, for that challenge, anyway!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I went OFF THE RAILS..but it was my birthday, and bday calories don't count so.....hahahahhaha
    Actually I decided for kicks to go ahead and track the calories just to see....OH MY! hahahaha Good thing it's only one day. Back on track for me! Not to mention the LOADS of water I'm consuming today to try to flush all the crap out of my system. Blah!
    Today will be a great day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi, I lifted today!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Am back from SSM and helping out my son, DIL and her family. It was exhausting and emotional and I didn't want to leave! It bothered me to leave them, as I know they are still hurting so bad, but I also know they will be okay. My DIL has a very large, supportive, loving family and they will certainly be there for her and her mom & sisters.

No exercise at all, but my eating was actually pretty clean! After the funeral yesterday, I did enjoy a few glasses of wine.
    Home now, and tired.
    Workouts begin again tomorrow.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    WOW, this is a long thread! I'm 48 and an artist. I have two grown kids, 24 and 21. I'm not ready to be a grandma so hopefully that will not be anytime really soon. ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm not ready to be a gramma yet, either, wanna....but, I think my 25-year-old is TERRIFIED of becoming a parent - since he watched hubby and I raise his 2 siblings (he was 15 and 16 when I had them....) and he *knows* full well how much work it's gonna be! So, I'm good.

It was *too* busy a weekend. My parents came for a visit, so that was really nice because we didn't get to see them over Xmas. But, with the kids basketball, ice hockey and swimming times, it was just go-go-go.

I'll go lift today and I'll feel better for it.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello there!!!!! Yes, alf checking in. :laugh:

Sdereski, I am sorry to hear about your friend. :flowerforyou:

Beeps, you are doing great!!! I want to join that Feb Challenge.

Welcome to all the new kids!!!!

I've had enough!!!! I need to regain my health!!! :devil: I have been steadily gaining weight and losing strength and stamina since my dad had the stroke in Nov 1. I stepped on the scale this morning, have been dreading to do that for a while now, 133!!! It needs to stop and it is now!!! I feel it, I see it, it is not muscle!!!! All my clothes are fitting tighter. I just want to scream!!!! Yes, I have been under a lot of stress but it shouldnt be an excuse to eat poorly and not exercise as much. I have even cut back to two nights of teaching Zumba. For now I cannot increase due to caring for my dad but he wants to go back home to PR. He is leaving at the end of Feb, I am going with him for a couple of weeks. I feel bad and worried but I cannot force him to stay and I think it will help him to be more independent. He depends on me too much here. He has gotten much much better.

I noticed I had not logged in my weight since Feb 3, 2012 and it was 128 that time. My goal is 125 which is not unrealistic for me but I need to work hard for it and be CONSISTENT!!!

Well, enough about me. What are your health and fitness goals for this year?
  • alf1163
    Options
    Beeps, what is the exact name of the challenge you joined? I joined one that started today. I didnt see you on there.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ALF!!! Welcome back!!

I think you are a member of the NROL4W group here, on mfp?? If "not", then just become a member!

Then, on the "daily chat thread" of that group, we're doing a "February challenge" which is simply a "streak challenge" - you NAME YOUR STREAK!

Would LOVE to see you come and join (me)!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    I see Beeps, I'll check it out. I am no longer doing NROL4W, I had started doing the NROL4abs but stopped. I am just now doing a short workout from one of my oxygen mags due to lack of time. I think in Feb will try JM extreme shed and shred. I really like her workouts. The challenge I joined is one that has to do with logging in the foods, staying under calorie goal, exercising, adding 300 sit ups, lunges, etc, drinking more water. I need to get back to logging in my foods and be more accountable. Day 1 done, so far so good LOL My Zumba class was awesome tonight, I had lots of energy!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alf, I finished NROL4W last summer. Did 2/3 of NROL4Abs in the fall, and am now doing Venus Index - Phase 1. But, my 12 weeks of that program are coming to an end, so I might do Venus Index - Phase 2, or I might do NROL4Life....I don't really think it matters WHAT "system" of weight-training you are using, so long as THAT is your major form of exercise.

Sounds like you are right back-on-track - which is SO good for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    In fact, I brought NROL4Life to my office today, to review, to determine if THAT is what I want to do for the next couple of months....

Part of my decision is that I'd have to spend about $600 to get the rest of the Venus Index system, and I'm kinda not wanting to outlay that kind of cash right now.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Yes, I feel good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I keep it up!!!! LOL It is soooo time consuming though, to log in my foods. I feel I am on here all day. But you know, I know this is the only way I can be accountable for own good. What is the VENUS system? Never heard of it. I saw the thread for the Feb challenge but really didnt see any explanation about it, details. Just saw a lot of posts from people who want to do it.
  • butterflydrumm
    butterflydrumm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cool enough to have my daughter join fitnesspal with me and go to the gym together regularly since the new year. turning 48 in a few weeks. She's 21. Got 3 boys too. Ones 25 and the others are 17 and 15, They don't mind being my kids either lol . Husband has always been cool. A soldier just retired and got a Harley a year ago. Now he is super cool lol. Don't want to be the big chic on the back of the bike. Inspires me to be healthier and more fit.