40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello there!!!! I have been doing really well with my eating and exercise. I re-started Chalean extreme today. I had forgotten how good I feel after I do it. I have been getting bored with doing workouts from books and I really didnt like the JM shed and shredd, too focused on cardio etc and I feel I get enough cardio teaching Zumba. I did Chalean about 3 yrs ago and got great results.

Beeps, mini fast?

sdereski, I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Ooohhh, Alf, I don't know much about Chalean extreme - so please post your exploits here! Inquiring minds want to know!

My mini-fast ended at 19.5 hours. Getting past 20 hours is always a bi-atch for me, in part, because, mentally, I have a LOT of trouble sleeping if I go past 20. So, it's always the debate: fast, or sleep. And, usually, zzzzzzzzzzz wins out.

I'm going to have a steak and a salad for supper. That's it. Then to bed and I'll weigh myself at the gym, tomorrow. I am hoping ALL traces of bloat are EXPUNGED and my weight will be a true (and a good!) weight.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Alf - don't know much about Chalene extreme, but some of my MFP friends do it and really like it.

Beeps - good luck with the wiegh in today. I need to start my fasts again. I stepped on the scale this morning and almost fainted.
    Back on the bandwagon I go.

Ran yesterday, but had to cut it short - was not feeling it. Still managed 7k, so that's okay.

Not sure I'll get a workout in today. Have a retirement dinner to attend after work. Hopefully, I will feel up to it when I get home and do a quick workout DVD. Hubby is home tonight, so balancing all my time becomes more of a challenge.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    7k is AWESOME sdereski! good for you!

I will step on the scale, today. Will also aim to not eat very much today, in preparation for my Valentine's Day dinner (tonight) out with hubby. I will aim to stick with veggies and protein and eliminate the starch option.

In case I don't get a good weigh-in today, I can weigh in again on Friday - so there's still hope for this week!

Today, I'm doing my first "B" work-out in Stage 1 of NROL4LIfe. I'm excited!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yep, I'm up 0.4lbs from last week. Screw that - I'm dumping my cardio again.

Why I messed with what was working for me is BEYOND me! Anyway, live and learn....
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I will head to the gym and get my lifting in....maybe I'll leave a little bit early to do that. I'll also weigh today. And then, I'm staying off the scale until Wednesday....I need a scale break!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yeah.,
  • sdereski
    Options
    Good luck with that weigh in today Beeps!

Everyone is diferent for sure, and you have obviously found what works for you...so yeah, keep on doing that!

Went to the gym to run yesterday only to get there and realize I had forgotten the bra. So, no bra, no run. I headed home and did a P90X workout instead - chest, back & arms.

Will try to get a short run in today and then hopefully take part in a curling social taking place tonight. It is our winter carnival, so it should be fun.

have a great long weekend everyone. :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    hey, sdereski, you have a new avatar! Nice! I'm seriously proud that, despite the fact you didn't get your gym run in, you simply went home and chose an alternative. NOW THAT IS DEDICATION!

My weigh in was good. Same as Wed., Feb. 6th....so, it's officially a *stall* week. Okay. I can deal with it.

I'm going to enjoy my weekend with my family - we are having our Xmas celebration this weekend in OLD city, since I didn't get to see them over the holidays.

I'll get back to the gym routine, the counting calories routine, blah, blah, blah next week.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hi there!!! I am feeling pretty good lately with eating clean most days and working out. Chalean Extreme is a Beachbody program by Chalean Johnson the creator of Turbo Jam. It is a 90 day program with 3-30 day phases. Each 30 days you do three different circuits, alternating them every other day. There are also some cardio workouts, ab workout and a stretch workout to do in between. She encourages using heavy weights and lifting very slow. I love it!!! I am really glad I am doing it again.

I am going to PR to take my dad home next week. I am feeling bad, on one hand I think it will be good for him to resume taking care of himself and be more independent but on the other hand I feel I am abandoning him. :cry: It is so tough. He wants to go home and he says he can take care of himself but I am not very sure about that. My brother lives nearby but I know he will not take care of him the way I have. I also have 3 other siblings but they also live in the US. There are so many mixed feelings/emotions. It has been very tough the past 4 months. :sad:

Beeps, do you think you need to tweak your diet? That might be causing the stall. I hope you enjoy your time with your family!!!

Sdereski, I did P90X after I did Chalean extreme back in 09. I really like both programs. I might do the same this time around.

:flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    Options
    Alf, I can understand the mixed feelings. It's almost like you are leaving a child at university for the first time. Such a dilemma with him wanting to be at home and for you to let him go after he has been so ill.
    Is there a possibility of hiring someone to go in every day to make sure he is taken care of? Fed and cleaned?

MY husband and I did our long run together today. 21k. We have a 30k race at the end of March and we are behind in our training. Today's run was slow, but we got it done! :happy:
    It was sunny and had warmed up some and we had bare roads. It was all good.

Beeps - good attitude about the weigh in.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Sdereski, thank you so much. Yes, I will be there for 2 wks so I am planning on looking for someone or will see if Medicare would cover that. I tried it here but it wasnt approved by Medicare, not so sure the Dr put in the referral correctly because they do cover for home health services. I was paying my son's attendant (he is severly autistic) to stay with my dad so I could go to work. He only needed help with his lunch. He can now shower by himself etc. The problem in my house is that is a 2 story home so I was concerned about him going up and down the stairs by himself. That is not the case in PR. I think he will be ok but he still needs someone to physically check on him daily. I know I will be calling everyday!!!

I am soooo busy the next 2 days!!! I am teaching Zumba tonight! Yeah! and tomorrow will lift in the morning and teach a Zumba gold class (low impact). Then off to PR. I hope I keep up with my workouts and eating healthy there. It is sooo hard to eat healthy in PR. Most of their foods have a lot of fat, lots of red meat, hardly any veggies, etc. I have to avoid eating out often. :noway:

How is everyone doing??? :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm totally pissed off at my brother right now....we headed to OLDcity Saturday night and my mom said that my bro's kids had the stomach flu on TUESDAY. So, Sunday morn, bro calls me and asks me if we're coming over, "yes" and away I go with my 2 kids. We get there, kids are playing together and THEN he tells me, "oh, my kids STILL have the stomach flu".

WTF?!?!?!?

We drove home yesterday morn, my daughter had a hockey event in the aft, and by 8 pm she was barfing. Husband was barfing by 4 am this morn, and son hit the toilet just before school started. I am at work, but haven't eaten anything since about 6:30 pm last night and I don't feel great (although I don't feel nauseous).

People. People. People. Keen your nasty infections germs AWAY from my family....hell, now we've transported this friggin' flu BACK to OURCITY.....thank god I have a nanny.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alright, I went to bed at 8:45 and got in a solid 7 hours, then kind of tossed-and-turned, but didn't roll out of bed until 7. So, I'm feeling well-rested today. Thank goodness - yesterday was torture!

And, I get to lift today! I haven't done my weight-training since Friday, and I'll only manage 2 sessions this week. So, I'll have to make sure they COUNT!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

Beeps - oh yuck!! That sure was a nasty bug that you all caught! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Amazing what a good night's sleep can do. I have found that the bugs that have you vomitting usually don't last that long. I have been more sick this winter than I have in a long time - but not with any stomach bug - just darn right nasty colds! I do not get a flu shot, never have, and now I am doubting myself. Overall, I think the immunizations are unhealthy - an easy way to test the vaccine and I don't like being the guinea pig. :laugh:

I haven't been doing any strength training other than the couple of P90X workouts I've been doing at home. Those colds I had really set me back on my traiing schedule. I have a 30k race on March 24th, so I am focusing on my running at the moment (which is still not going very weel).
    I did joing a beachbody challenge. Will be starting P90X on Monday. I needed something to get my *kitten* in gear again. Hope this does the trick!
    I do know what you mean though Beeps - cardio does not do a darn thing for my body - whereas weight lifting does. I'll try the P90X again, as i did notice a considerable change in the way my clothes fit when I did it last year.

Yesterday was supposed to run 8k - ran a little over 5. Just was not feeling it. :tongue: I really need to get out of this rut!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    We do flu shots every year....we have 2 asthmatics in the family, so everyone gets the shot, including the nanny! Having said that, my husband, frankly, has been ill with one virus after another since january 1st! Very weird. I'm made of good stock and don't get sick very often....even that stomach flu didnt' get me (exhaustion did, though!)

30k on march 24 - whoooooeeeee - that sounds L-O-N-G. I'm sure you'll be ready for it, though. Your body is in such good shape it will HUP-TO without much thought once you're back into your regular routine, sdereski!

Today, I'm taking a "rest" day.
  • thejackfact
    thejackfact Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, well....what have I found here? A group of responsibly cool adults from my own generation? I'm not certain how I missed this....oh, that's right I was busy encouraging those Gen Y-er's that feel no obligation to reciprocate. I am glad I found the right place to be, if I in fact meet the required level of coolness.

About me, 44 married 19 great years and counting, 2 rock star kids, a few businesses, 8 guitars and a Marshall half-stack, love to travel, and licensed to fly the Airbus. Looking for friends to encourage and receive the same but only in the coolest sense of the word ;-)

Needed to lose only 20 lbs (pretty easy for a guy) but seriously got involved to help my daughter on her journey and will be with her every step of the way.....about a year's worth. We have 10 months to go and I believe I will be super fit at the end and looking for wisdom and meaningful comments that only the 40 somethings can bring to the party.......

Please add me if I fit said level of coolness.

Jack
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Way cool, Jack...you're in!

(I won't tell you that entrance requirements, other than being >40, don't exist...)
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    May I be allowed in? I am. 43 yrs old. Divorced. Have 2 girls ages 12 and 7. Needing all the encouraging I can get. You all are free to add me.
  • thejackfact
    thejackfact Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I should have just stuck to my age and let the coolness oooozz for itself...doh!