Your Thought On Age Difference?

Options

Replies

• ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I don't see a problem with a 10-15 year age difference, except when one of those individuals is 17 or 18 years old! Come on!
    25 dating a 40 year old might be okay, 32 dating a 46 year old might be okay, but not 17 dating a 30 year old.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I had to read the 1st line like 3x LOL I thought he is dating his own second teenager :laugh:

LMAO i was the same!!

I am 22 and my boyfriend is 31, it doesnt bother anyone in te slightest, i suppose it depends on how young the person is and if they know what they are doing

x
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Age difference is acceptable in some cases -- i.e. my mom was married to a man 24 years older than her - - she was happier with him than ever in her life (much happier than when she was with my dad who was only 4 years older than her)....

BUT for a 30year old or older to date someone who is a teenager?? I think that's weird.... But then again - at 30 some men have the same maturity level as an 17-18year old female...... no offense.... just seems to be the way it is. ;)

I've dated men up to 10 years older than me.... my boyfriend is only 2 years older than me, and it works.

It's weird, I couldn't date someone younger than me - but men have no problem with it -- I think they just want arm candy.
  • gusgrace06
    Options
    My parents were 20 years apart, My mother was 30 when she married my 50 year old father who had grandchildren. Both were established and it worked till my father died of a heart condition (he was 300 pounds). Two of my friends are married to men who are between 12 and 20 years older and it works, in one case she is much more mature and in the other, he isn't that mature. Age is a number, as long as no laws are broken. Most of the men I have dated have been about 10 years older, my husband is two years younger.
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    17=child. He's a pervert.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The fact the 18 year old doesn't see a problem with dating a man that age.. is just weird.
    I don't have any friends who would date someone over 26/27.. and my friends are all 17/19.. ><

Before I met the guy 14 years older than I was, I swore I would NEVER date anyone more than 10 years older. And before I dated someone 10 years older, I thought that was too old.

In theory, it seems weird and icky. But then you meet someone and hit it off and it doesn't seem so weird and icky. The guy who was 34 when I was 19 was the best guy I ever dated. It was a wonderful relationship and I still have fond memories. We remained friends for a long time. There were circumstances we didn't have control over that made it impossible to continue the relationship, but age, interests and maturity were never factors.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Okay, So my daughters father who is 31 is now dating his second teenager. His first one was last year and she was 17 he was 30 at the time. Now at 31 he is dating an 18yr old. I have said nothing to him, but I find it a wee bit odd that a man of his age cant find someone his own age.

But on the same hand my cousin is 26 and dating a man who is 58.

Again I find this odd, but now curious....whats the youngest/oldest person you've dated and how did that work out?

31? Dating a 17 yr old? An 18 yr old? That would get him shot in my home.

RIGHT ON!

I don't think it's the age difference, but the actual AGE. Know what I mean! 17, 18 too young for a grown *kitten* man!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The oldest I've been with is 40, when I was 20. It didn't work because he was immature and I had more going on for me at that point than he did. The youngest was a 16 year old when I was 19, didn't know his age right away... Typically I look for guys at least 3-5 years older or more, simply because I am at the point in my life where I am ready to "settle down" and most 24 year old guys aren't. Thankfully my bf is my perfect match and just a month older than me. He and I have discussed a 5 year plan regarding marriage and children and are happy with the pace we are going and heading...

Now my son's dad is 25 and dating an 18 year old. I just don't see how that is a healthy attraction. Personally, it's probably because they all know girls at that age are naive and the men typically have control over that situation, if not. No big deal to them. They have alot more to lose with a woman their own age.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I had to read the 1st line like 3x LOL I thought he is dating his own second teenager :laugh:

ME, TOO!

I'm 41 & my hubby is 54. He has two daughters from a previous marriage, ages 33 & 30. It was hard at first for me to be accepted by them & the EX, but we are all great friends now. Especially him & I - he's my best bud! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have always dated older guys, when I was 18 I dated a 28 year old, we were together for 2 years it almost ended in a marriage but I found out he cheated on me. Than when I was 20 I dated a guy that was 30 it ended because he was too immature and I couldn't handle it.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Okay, so after reading the 5 pages of a general population finding a man of the age of 31 being with a 18yr as "icky" . Now I am curious what your thoughts on the fact that he is a father.

Do you think his choice in who is dating will effect his daughter? (I am just curious he doesnt have any contact with her right now other than phone calls so it wouldnt effect her right now. But I wonder if she is 18 and her step mom ends up being 22 how this might effect her)
  • EbonyEthereal
    Options
    I find it odd that there are so many people who seem to think that a 25 year old dating a 40 year old is the same as a 17 year old dating a 31 year old. 31 is too old to even be thinking about dating someone in high school. It's beyond creepy, almost pedophilia. A 25 year old is a grown person, a 17 year old is not, and I don't care how "mature" they may appear to be. If he REALLY believes that they have enough in common to be trying to have a serious relationship, then someone in that relationship is not being age-appropriate.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Okay, So my daughters father who is 31 is now dating his second teenager. His first one was last year and she was 17 he was 30 at the time. Now at 31 he is dating an 18yr old. I have said nothing to him, but I find it a wee bit odd that a man of his age cant find someone his own age.

But on the same hand my cousin is 26 and dating a man who is 58.

Again I find this odd, but now curious....whats the youngest/oldest person you've dated and how did that work out?

31? Dating a 17 yr old? An 18 yr old? That would get him shot in my home.

Agreed. Most teenagers have not really lived their life and are spreading their wings into adulthood for the first time. I find it highly strange and very disturbing that he would even consider females below 21.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, so after reading the 5 pages of a general population finding a man of the age of 31 being with a 18yr. Now I am curious what your thoughts on the fact that he is a father.

Do you think his choice in who is dating will effect his daughter? (I am just curious he doesnt have any contact with her right now other than phone calls so it wouldnt effect her right now. But I wonder if she is 18 and her step mom ends up being 22 how this might effect her)

You really can't KNOW that until it happens. It could be good, bad or indifferent depending on a myriad of factors.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Met my husband when I was 23. He was 38. 15 years age difference. Now I am 32 and he is 47. More in love with him now than ever. He stays active and wants a baby with me.

But this I know a couple where she is 55 and he is 80. I see the fear and pain in her eyes of being a young widow. But they are in love and have kids together and have been married for over 20 years.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Both seem creepy to me.

However, 58 -> 26 is less so as at least the 26 year old is an adult.

30 -> 17/18 borders on criminal in my mind.

But it is important to note that I am a grumpy old fart that has a 19 year old daughter and I would kill to protect her and not lose a moments sleep!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My brother in law is 15 or so years older than my sister. Great guy. At first it was a little shock, but she was already 25ish when they started dating. I think they've been together about 6 years total now. Married almost 2.

I think once the younger of the 2 is past 24-25, then it's really no big deal.

I think the biggest age gap I ever had with a girl I dated was only 4-5 years tops? Probably even less. Not that I planned it that way, I guess younger girls just ain't interested in me?
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think age is just a state of mind....I was married for 20 yrs to a man 12 yrs older, divorced last year, and now dating a man 9 yrs younger! Maturity has nothing to do with age!! HOWEVER, I think a 30-31 yr old dating a 17-18 yr old is pushing it a little bit.
    O well...to each his own I suppose!!!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    men can be pigs.
    gross.

Yeah, like men are the only ones. Talk to Mary Kay Letourneau's ex husband and the 4 children they had together before she started sleeping with her 13 year old student.
    Maybe it would be more fair to say PEOPLE can be pigs.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Dr Drew talked about this awhile back. Yes it's creepy and you have to wonder his maturity level; going after a teen. Think of yourself at 30 and did you want anything to do with an 18 yr old? HECK NO! my husband is 9 yrs older but we're in our 40s/50s.