deleting facebook???

Options

Replies

• seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    I only have very few friends on FB and that's that way I like it. 17 to be exact...I like it to see pics of my friend and her family and to also let them know that I am still alive and kicking....

A few months ago I did deactivate it because I was going through a really tough time and just needed the break from it........
  • Phoenixwithoutashes
    Options
    Best move I ever made. It eats up a lot of time, with no real benefit.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Facebook.
    I do not play games or have 300+ friends.
    I usually only get on with my phone, and it's to keep in contact with distant relatives and friends.
    I upload pictures & update them on important milestones my children go through that they would most likely otherwise miss out on.
    FB is like sweets. Too much of a good thing becomes a very bad thing.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I switched off email notifications so FB no longer bugs me. I find I only log in a couple of times a week now.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My family is truely global, and I work all over the world where I have made lots of great friends. I would have lost touch with many of them without facebook - in this respect, its a great tool.

I do have some rules though:

1) No games (I played farmville when it came out and realised it was taking up way too much of my time - deleted it and haven't looked back since).

2) Use it to plan activities or tell people about what I've done / am doing: Never for arguments or venting (unless its a really funny story).

3) Turn it off in company

4) Only add real friends - this is not the same as taking someone's phone number or email address!
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    My family is truely global, and I work all over the world where I have made lots of great friends. I would have lost touch with many of them without facebook - in this respect, its a great tool.

I do have some rules though:

1) No games (I played farmville when it came out and realised it was taking up way too much of my time - deleted it and haven't looked back since).

2) Use it to plan activities or tell people about what I've done / am doing: Never for arguments or venting (unless its a really funny story).

3) Turn it off in company

4) Only add real friends - this is not the same as taking someone's phone number or email address!

These are also my rules! Also no adding school friends unless I still speak to them now. I like to keep the number of friends low. My old facebook before I deleted it had 300+ friends and it was ridiculous. I started new account and have around 60 friends whom I still speak to or are new mates I've met recently.

Not all my friends/relatives are in the same country/town as I do so its nice to catch up on facebook or see how they've been. Makes me feel like we're still in each other's lives which is nice. I also use it to plan events and share group photos!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    " no adding school friends unless I still speak to them now. "

I've added some old school friends who I very much missed being in touch with, I dont regret this at all! - but I make a distinction between school friends and 'people I used to know at school'.
  • FindingTotalHealth
    Options
    if i didn't have some many family members on it that i only see maybe once or twice a year...or ones that i haven't seen in years cause they have moved out West... I would have gotten rid of it months ago !!!!

This
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been Facebook free for 4 months. Couldn't be better!
  • Bourds
    Bourds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    CLosed it out about a year ago as I was addicted to the games and it was taking over my life. Now I take all that energy and put it into losing weight......best decision ever :happy:
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Sounds like people are on AA or something lol! Stay FB sober!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use it to connect with family across the country, keep up with some hobbie groups and fitness. I don't play any of the games. MFP is much better. :)
  • AlejaR
    AlejaR Posts: 33
    Options
    I am with you! I live in USA and my family live in the Caribbean and we are always in contact tru FB. Don't accept anyone that i don't know or play any game on it. I think FB is great if you don't let it to deal your life and if you are responsible with the things that you post there.
    To me it's like anything else in life; it's great when you use it the right way. I never play any games on there. I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know or haven't seen since high school. I don't chat with anyone live there.

But it helps me keep up with my family and friends that live far away. And I love being able to see pictures of my cousin's kids, etc.

Plus I have "liked" several fitness pages (ie, Fit Sugar, Cathe Friedrich) that help keep me motivated.

So to me, those that say it's a waste of time just don't use it properly. It can be great tool. Um, just like MFP----I've read several comments from people saying they "waste" hours on here every day.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't delete my FB account. I like being able to be in touch with family that I don't see that often and old friends from high school and college. However, since starting MFP this is where I am mostly and I don't spend too much time on FB.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I opened one few years ago for about 5 minutes, then I promptly closed it. HATED FB! I'm a very private person and simply didn't like the idea of "being out there". People that really matter in my life know where and how to find me, and the rest? Well, I really don't care or I would have been in touch with them all these years. I don't have time for small talk and don't like to share things about my life.
  • krisp1108
    krisp1108 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all this 'drama' people are talking about. It's YOUR page. Someone causing drama? Delete them. 'Abusive family'? WTF?? Why on earth would you give them access to your FB life? Delete them! You really don't need to accept every friend request. My page has only people I know and either want to keep in touch with or just like to see how they're doing. There are privacy settings you know. I don't get any game requests, emails or any other notifications I don't want. My profile is private. I allow only my profile pic to show in search results and that's it.
    I don't get it.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I deleted mine over a year ago. It was causing fights and drama between my fiance and me so we deleted ours. I have lost touch with a lot of people, but I feel that those people have my phone number. We do not have to keep in touch by internet. I have family members that I will just shot a text once in awhile instead of a message on facebook.

Deleting my facebook helped my relationship defantily and has cut out a TON of drama in my life.
    This is something that I will never understand. A website doesn't cause any problems in a relationship that weren't already there, so deleting the website seems more like a "bandaid" than a solution to a problem. Not meant to offend you, or to just you personally, I've seen people say this a lot so it's not directed at you necessarily.

I know it didn't solve all the problems, but it helped out tremondesly. His ex kept messaging him non stop and even when she was blocked, she would make a new account and do it all over again. With phones we are able to block her number and change both our numbers so she cannot call or text anymore. It didn't solve the problem completely, but it was a first step defiantly. We find we are happier without facebook.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't play games on it or get into arguments over politics. All my friends on there are people I know (IRL or have talked to a lot online -- long enough to feel like friends). No stress, just a simple, easy way to keep up with my friends and family who live in almost every state of the union and some overseas.

I think my life is better WITH Facebook. But I know others have a different experience.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's the easiest way to get in contact with my close friends to make important plans specifically parties or mini-events. The other hundreds of friends, I just hope they post an interesting pic or 2 to entertain me. In general, there isn't much to see so its like a 5 minute look daily b/c I keep my friends list small but it is my favourite and most effective communicating tool, easier than email.

It's also a great way to post dozens of random pics of new clothes I bought our house pics when we bought it after university. It's a complete bragging tool for sure!
  • riddellr
    Options
    Facebook cost me my marriage. The now Ex-Wife reconnected with an old friend there and thought the grass was greener on that side of the fence. It wasn't facebook's fault that she left, so I'm keeping it, but I only use it to stay connected with close friends and family and do not play any games on it.