Swearing?

Options

Replies

• dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When I was a little middle-class girl in braids and lace, my mama taught me a lot about class. I learned that being 'classy' involves making the people around you feel comfortable and never, ever judging other people or assuming I'm better than them. I choose not to swear in front of children or strangers because I am showing them a courtesy, not because I feel that there's anything wrong the language itself. It's about having good manners and showing respect for other people.

For those that think ladies shouldn't swear at all, my dears, you'd be clutching your pearls if you overheard a conversation between me and my friends. Of course, I would have enough 'class' not to swear in front of you if it made you uncomfortable. I wouldn't even think poorly of you for your discomfort or draw conclusions about your upbringing because of it. After all, classy people do not make assumptions about another person's intelligence or social status based on something as superficial as their choice of dialect or vocabulary. I also don't assume that every person that uses Ebonics is 'from the ghetto'- or that a person with a southern accent must, naturally, be an inbred hillbilly- because stereotyping is a disgusting habit. Since my mama raised me right, I don't roll that way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, this lady shall be off in the kitchen, doing lady-like business like smoking cigars and rewiring the stove.

I don't think it could be said more perfectly! I'll have that cigar :smokin: with you and I'll add in a drink. :drinker:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm usually ok with cussing - as long as they aren't the REALLY bad words. I HATE the F word, the C word, etc. Those I can't STAND! If someone uses that language IRL or on a forum I automatically lose respect for that person. I don't cuss myself (unless I'm alone and stub my toe lol) but if someone uses the F word or C word around me it shows me that they have no respect for me, so I lose respect for them.

Oh and if you put the F and C word together I just want to punch you (I wouldn't, of course, but it would make me WANT to). lol That's just a nasty horrible thing to say to or about someone.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    When I was a little middle-class girl in braids and lace, my mama taught me a lot about class. I learned that being 'classy' involves making the people around you feel comfortable and never, ever judging other people or assuming I'm better than them. I choose not to swear in front of children or strangers because I am showing them a courtesy, not because I feel that there's anything wrong the language itself. It's about having good manners and showing respect for other people.

For those that think ladies shouldn't swear at all, my dears, you'd be clutching your pearls if you overheard a conversation between me and my friends. Of course, I would have enough 'class' not to swear in front of you if it made you uncomfortable. I wouldn't even think poorly of you for your discomfort or draw conclusions about your upbringing because of it. After all, classy people do not make assumptions about another person's intelligence or social status based on something as superficial as their choice of dialect or vocabulary. I also don't assume that every person that uses Ebonics is 'from the ghetto'- or that a person with a southern accent must, naturally, be an inbred hillbilly- because stereotyping is a disgusting habit. Since my mama raised me right, I don't roll that way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, this lady shall be off in the kitchen, doing lady-like business like smoking cigars and rewiring the stove.

HAHAH! Girl, you crack me up!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

I think I am in love with you.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I usually only do it when i hurt myself. Like stub my toe. Ouch. Too much swearing, especially for no reason, is really off putting to me.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    I have to be REALLY mad to swear, otherwise my strongest is probably something like, "oh poop"!
    The reason for me is simple. I was mostly raised by my grandmother who drummed it into me that "people swear because they lack imagination and vocabulary". No matter how old I get my grandmother's programing cannot be overwritten.

I like you're grandma's explanation. :tongue:
  • GroovyGma73
    Options
    Sorry, but "fish paste" and *kitten* simply do not convey the same impact. Besides if my girlfriend said, "Baby come to bed and fish paste me", I don't know what I would do.

omg this comment if f*$ken gold :laugh:
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I didn't swear so much a few years ago as I do now and I don't know why I've changed. I used to give myself the excuse that I'm surrounded by ex-forces guys all day but few of them actually ever swear! I never used to swear at work but sometimes a word or two will slip out now and then when I'm frustrated. I DO NOT swear in front of children and abhor people who do - it's just not necessary (yes, I know my niece and nephew will hear these words eventually but they don't need to hear it when they're so young and likely to repeat it!) My boyfriend hates my swearing so I am trying to stop (my ex swore a LOT and it just became part of our normal conversation, and often quite funny!) My best friend hardly swears so I think it's just me - but hey, I like the way those words sound sometimes and hate that they're labelled as bad!

BTW - repeated swearing when you don't know enough words to create an entire sentence without a swear word or six in there is not ok. I may drop the occasional "f" and "s" (sometimes the "c" if I want to, I'm an adult!) but when someone is out in public and their entire conversation is littered with swear words that's really trashy and unnecessary.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    imho, swear words are like strong spices. They don't belong everywhere, and some people can't handle them, but in some cases, very useful and perfect for the occasion! Also generally not good for use around children haha

This. I swear, quite a lot, but not at work or around children.

Then again, I also use b**** and sl*t as terms of endearment for my closest friends :) o_O
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    Sorry, but "fish paste" and *kitten* simply do not convey the same impact. Besides if my girlfriend said, "Baby come to bed and fish paste me", I don't know what I would do.

I was so depressed today, not looking forward to exercise and this just made my day LOL - I am going to workout now with a smile on my face!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options

I'm going to add you, simply based on this post. also, will you marry me? lol
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There is a time and a place and normally between friends. It upsets me that the F word is becoming more and more accepted, recently a judge gave a not guilty verdict against a guy abusing a police officer for telling hom to F off, because the officer would not be offended by a word he would have heard so much.

As the F word becomes more accepted so to the barriers against the C word.

On a gender basis I have no distinction against male or female swearing. although a soft female accent saying the F word can be quite sexy!!!!!!
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

LOL :) You're great.

Or should I say, fan-f*cking-tastic ;)
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    ...On a gender basis I have no distinction against male or female swearing. although a soft female accent saying the F word can be quite sexy!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree, it's definitely in the tone and how it's said on whether or not it's offensive. Tone, inflection, body language, facial expression, they all can drastically change the meaning behind even some of the most crass of cuss words. lol
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    My Canadian Husband on the other hand grew up in a different culture with different cultural norms, he swears a lot more in general conversation than anyone I know and has even been asked to moderate his language as there were children present, he uses words that I consider to be socially unacceptable a lot, and although I also use them, I don't think that they are words that should be used in the way he does. We are going to be Grandparents this year and I am going to have to keep on at him to watch his language when the baby is around.

For instance he uses the words bulls*it, crap, *kitten*, fart and b*stard and I grew up in a home that would not have used those words as they were considered swearing or at least unacceptable, BUT I say C**t and he doesn't

I completely understand what you're saying here, as a Canadian. I couldn't tell you whether or not we swear more (in general) than Americans, but we do seem to be more relaxed about it. I have noticed a difference between the sorts of swear words that can be aired on Canadian stations versus American ones. And, for some reason the C-word you mentioned is TOTALLY FORBIDDEN up here. Almost nobody says it. The first time I said it in front of people (my age, who swear CONSTANTLY), they all dropped their utensils and stared at me in horror. This is why I only use that word on SPECIAL occasions, when I want to get the maximum reaction.

i didn't make it clear, we live in England, and so it's even more different than in the US, as words have different meanings this side of the pond, and some words that are swear words here are not so much over in Canada.

One case in point, when Bill had been living with me for about a year, we took my son to his football game, or soccer for Americans lol, and as we stood watching the game Bill just said to the rest of the parents on the touchline, 'Josh was wanking all the way along here in the back of the car'....total silence and wide open jaw dropping horror struck looks from everyone..including me...as to us wanking means masturbating, and to HIM it meant 'complaining.....so it was like him saying my 9 year old son had been jerking off in the back of the car on the way o the game......cultural difference can be a bugger
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of swearing...all the time. However, I think I got this from not having to worry about my language since we don't have children. We always slip up around our nieces, nephews and friends children.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I would rather not. In my opinion it really takes a lot away from a person when they do.

For examples, I think Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Aniston are extremely attractive people but when I hear either of them use foul language, most especially G.D. in a movie it makes them very unattractive.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I would rather not. In my opinion it really takes a lot away from a person when they do.

For examples, I think Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Aniston are extremely attractive people but when I hear either of them use foul language, most especially G.D. in a movie it makes them very unattractive.

I am sitting here wondering what GD is? Is it a certification? I can't for the life of me think of a swear word that starts with it...G D?
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    One case in point, when Bill had been living with me for about a year, we took my son to his football game, or soccer for Americans lol, and as we stood watching the game Bill just said to the rest of the parents on the touchline, 'Josh was wanking all the way along here in the back of the car'....total silence and wide open jaw dropping horror struck looks from everyone..including me...as to us wanking means masturbating, and to HIM it meant 'complaining.....so it was like him saying my 9 year old son had been jerking off in the back of the car on the way o the game......cultural difference can be a bugger
    LMFAO:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now that's one I didn't know. I have an extensive vocabulary of swear words which covers multiple languages.

When I sneeze I tend to utter the word "Scheiße!" instead of "achoo"... and when I do something stoopid, instead of saying "*kitten*!" I tend to use "cut" (rhymes with koot), which is a Dutch profanity that means the same as the C-word in English but with the shock level of "bugger".

And while I've no beef with swearing, overkill can be very off-putting. I walked out of Glengarry Glen Ross because it was F-this F-that and F-the other and to me it wasn't big nor clever; I don't swear unless there's an effing good reason that requires it!

My dear mother, bless her, used to have the vocabulary of a docker but she was a classy lady and in a way her swearing was more comical than profane. My dad on the other hand hardly ever swears and funnily enough his mum who was a very pious woman who never swore nor uttered any replacement profanities always found mum's colourful vocabulary rather uncouth. My mum was also deaf in one ear and sometimes she'd let slip a well-deserved, yet less than savoury comment that would light up a entire room, restaurant or department store. :laugh:

Oh how I miss that! :cry:
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I agree 'swearing' has it's place. I've been known to throw out a few 'F' sharps myself, on rare occasions. It's not part of my everyday repertoir.

To me, it's about respect and courtesy. Some of you don't think it's a big deal .. they are 'just words'...yet, I highly doubt if you would talk the same way infront of young children or elderly folk, or in church .. and I wonder why that is. I'm thinking it's out of respect, and it's not really "no big deal".

People who cuss seem to feel a sense of empowerment by using that type of spoken word. Personally, I think it's a lazy way to express oneself.