Hummus!

Options

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    What is Hummus?:smile:

heavenly stuff....garbanzo beans olive oil...finger dip, veggie dip...spread...healthy tasty stuff

It's addicting too. :smokin:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

heavenly stuff....garbanzo beans olive oil...finger dip, veggie dip...spread...healthy tasty stuff

time for a small fix....I have a nice red bell pepper in there somewhere
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Mine had nice chunks of red bell pepper!! Yummmmm!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Guess I'm stopping off at the store before I go home today. :grumble:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

curious...how soon can the little kids start eating hummus and what is in gerbers baby food?
  • TamTastic
    Options

Guess I'm stopping off at the store before I go home today. :grumble:
    That's payback for the MJ thing on the "Old navy Mannequin" thread!! :laugh:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well, i guess I am going by the Neighborhood Coop and see if they have hummus..............

I live in the middle of corn fields and cow pastures and I no longer have a Trader Joes's at my disposal...........

The nearest Wild Oats, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc is in St Louis and that is an hour away from me!!

All we have is a Neighborhood Coop.
  • VardaElentari
    Options
    Mmmmm yes!!! I like to make it myself... YUM!
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ok so i LOVE chick peas (garbanzo) so i seen this thread, and i always wanted to know what hummus was.. I wanted to try to make my own, where do i buy that tahini or whatever it is?? is it powder? i couldnt find it at wally world, so i bought a premade thing of spicy 3 pepper and that was yummy... now i am joining in the I love hummus wagon!!

:bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    ok so i LOVE chick peas (garbanzo) so i seen this thread, and i always wanted to know what hummus was.. I wanted to try to make my own, where do i buy that tahini or whatever it is?? is it powder? i couldnt find it at wally world, so i bought a premade thing of spicy 3 pepper and that was yummy... now i am joining in the I love hummus wagon!!

Tahini is a paste made of ground sesame seeds.

You can find it in specialty stores (middle eastern) or the "international foods" section of your regular grocery store. Mine has that.

Or just buy the ready made stuff, which is easy enough.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Tahini is a paste made of ground sesame seeds.

You can find it in specialty stores (middle eastern) or the "international foods" section of your regular grocery store. Mine has that.

Or just buy the ready made stuff, which is easy enough.

and there are alot of uses for tahini besides the lovely hummus...its all good!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Costco has two BIG containers of it for like 5 bucks. sooooooo delicious.

my fav. is using it as a dip for baby carrots.
    :heart:
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh didnt think about the international aisle!! thanks
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Guess who is hummin now with the Hummus wagon.............

I went to Schnucks when I got off work and bought a small container of Athenos roasted red pepper hummus and I already had cucumbers and red bell pepper at home..........

It is really, really good.......... I am sorry that it took so long for me to try it!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Guess who is hummin now with the Hummus wagon.............

I went to Schnucks when I got off work and bought a small container of Athenos roasted red pepper hummus and I already had cucumbers and red bell pepper at home..........

It is really, really good.......... I am sorry that it took so long for me to try it!!
    five.gif
    That's great! It does get addicting though. It should come with a warning. Sometimes, I lick the knife after using it to spread the hummus on a tortilla or crackers! :blushing: :blushing: :laugh:

I find it very satisfying though. It's great on baby carrots too and I like the Garlic flavored Melba Snacks with the Roasted Red Pepper!
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i just saw a suggestion to put hummus into deviled eggs instead of using the egg yolks...now that sounds like a winner to me!!!!...love hummus!!!
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    what other things can i do with tahani besides using it to make hummus?...thanks
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.. roasted red pepper hummus with flatbread... Yummy!

Tahini Sauce --

Good on a Shawarma!

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    * 3 gloves garlic, crushed
    * 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1/4 cup lemon juice
    * 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped (optional)

Preparation:
    In a food processor or mortar and pestle, combine garlic and tahini. Add kosher salt.

Remove from food processor and add olive oil and lemon juice. If too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water until desired consistency.
  • papersparrow
    papersparrow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hadn't tried hummus before, but had heard the tales of how good it is. I tried it first about a week ago and I have been addicted ever since. It was pretty basic, without any other veggies or other flavors in it. There is a coffee shop that serves it as an option for sandwiches, and I have to admit, it sure is a pleasure. Apparently not many people eat it, because I had the person behind the counter ask me what it was!

Also, laramarie71, thank you for the baba ghanoush recipe :flowerforyou:

Manda86: What is a shawarma? :blushing:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    what other things can i do with tahani besides using it to make hummus?...thanks

Tahini also can help in making a killer salad dressing with lemon, garlic, olive oil or used as a marinade for both roasted veggies and meats!