Hummus!

Options

Replies

• janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I am now so missing the little Lebanese restaurant that used to be in town..

Best shwarma, hummus, and baba ganoush in the world..

Sadly they moved to California..:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

Cool - now we have 5 pages of hummus... :happy: :happy:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I am now so missing the little Lebanese restaurant that used to be in town..

Best shwarma, hummus, and baba ganoush in the world..

Sadly they moved to California..:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

Cool - now we have 5 pages of hummus... :happy: :happy:

This thread should never die! :love:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Did someone say Bumbus? :wink: I'm making mine for snacks tonight!

...seriously! Someone take my computer away from me! ACK!
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i just saw a suggestion to put hummus into deviled eggs instead of using the egg yolks...now that sounds like a winner to me!!!!...love hummus!!!
    funny, i just dipped my boiled egg in some and it was soo good.. i was thinking about making some deviled eggs this way...
  • megancolleen
    Options
    I have never tried Hummus !!!:sad: Now I want to go out and buy it.. Any ideas on a great one?? I am kinda a plain eater.. What does hummus even tast like>?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Hummus !!!:sad: Now I want to go out and buy it.. Any ideas on a great one?? I am kinda a plain eater.. What does hummus even tast like>?

Don't get the plain hummus for your first time, it's pretty nasty. :sick:

The Roasted Red Pepper is the best, imho, but the garlic with pine nuts is pretty good too.

Let us know what you think! :wink:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I made some roasted garlic hummus last night. I haven't eaten it yet. I hope it's good. Should I make homemade pita bread? I'm undecided if I want to bake.
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hook me up with that recipe of homemade pita bread PLEASE.. I cant seem to find any that isnt a million calories at the grocery.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Seeing this thread makes me want hummus EVERY DAY!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • keiko
    Options
    Sorry I don't know the cals/nutrition data and I'm to lazy to figure it out. I have not tried it yet but a friend makes it quite often. Says it's real easy. I think I'll use olive oil instead of vegetable. I like the flavor better.

Pita Bread
    Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
    1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cups wheat flour
    3 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    Preparation:
    Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.

Combine white flour, wheat flour, and salt in large bowl.

Make a small depression in the middle of flour and pour yeast water in depression.

Slowly add warm yeast water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until dough becomes elastic.

Place dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes. When the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and elastic, it has been successfully kneaded.

Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all of the dough is coated with oil. Allow to sit, covered, in a warm place for about 3 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to preheat your baking sheet also.

Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.

Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for 2 minutes.

Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking.

Take spatula and gently push down puff. Immediately place in storage bags.

Storing Pita Bread
    Pita bread can be stored for up to a week in a pantry or bread box, and up to a month in the freezer. Be sure to use freezer bags when storing in the freezer.

Pita bread dough can also be refrigerated for up to one week in the refrigerator.
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    Ok Im curious can someone explain to me what hummus is? I might need to try it:embarassed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I love Tribe hummus. Roasted Red Pepper is my favorite.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of plain hummus. At least the store brought brands I've had.

But it seems roasted red pepper is a popular one!! :bigsmile:

That is MY fav!!! And the culprit that get's me to lick the knife! :blushing:
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    Sorry I don't know the cals/nutrition data and I'm to lazy to figure it out. I have not tried it yet but a friend makes it quite often. Says it's real easy. I think I'll use olive oil instead of vegetable. I like the flavor better.

Pita Bread
    Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
    1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cups wheat flour
    3 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    Preparation:
    Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.

Combine white flour, wheat flour, and salt in large bowl.

Make a small depression in the middle of flour and pour yeast water in depression.

Slowly add warm yeast water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until dough becomes elastic.

Place dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes. When the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and elastic, it has been successfully kneaded.

Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all of the dough is coated with oil. Allow to sit, covered, in a warm place for about 3 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to preheat your baking sheet also.

Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.

Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for 2 minutes.

Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking.

Take spatula and gently push down puff. Immediately place in storage bags.

Storing Pita Bread
    Pita bread can be stored for up to a week in a pantry or bread box, and up to a month in the freezer. Be sure to use freezer bags when storing in the freezer.

Pita bread dough can also be refrigerated for up to one week in the refrigerator.
    Hey Sweetie..thanks for sharing your friends recipe:happy: ... I think you should most defininitely go for the homemade if you still have time. But if not this time, next time....let me know how it turns out!:flowerforyou:

I have a recipe for homemade tortillas that I really like, also goes great with hummus:wink:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Janie - I plugged in your recipe into caloriecounter or whatever it is

http://caloriecount.about.com/pita-bread-recipe-r197574

I did it for 10 servings, so it would need to be adjusted for 12! :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    Options
    I just finished eating a fresh pita with hummus!

I cut the recipe in half in case I didn't like it. They were very easy to mix. I only had to let it rise about 2hr to get it to doubled. I made 6 and they turned out good size. I wouldn't want them any bigger. I baked them on my pizza stone at 450F.

I will definately make these again.

Beans, thanks for the calorie count! Since I did the 12 (6) mine would be alittle lower than 240. Is that good for a pita. I'm guessing I could find a store one with less cal. But they were fun to make, no preservatives.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    any ideas for what i can have my hummus with that doesnt involve carbs or eggs?
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    chicken or deli meat, cheese chunks or slices
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Did someone say Bumbus? :wink: I'm making mine for snacks tonight!

...seriously! Someone take my computer away from me! ACK!
    lol@bumbus! :laugh:

Just because in the "how do you pronounce hummus" thread I compared the way I say it as BUM(HUM)- BUS(MUS), doesn't mean you can tease me until the end of time about it...............:tongue:

Wait...Shannon does that all the time! :ohwell: :laugh:

I can never live certain things can I?? :blushing:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    cucumbers!