Why are people so obsessed with subway!

Options

Replies

• jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Aside from the convenience, I used to believe it was healthy until I did a bit of reading.

Nowadays if I want a sandwich, I make it myself :)
  • marvelousmeg422
    marvelousmeg422 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've heard rumors about their wheat bread, and that it's just white bread died brown, but other than that, I am a huge fan. I get the veggie sub w/ a small amount of cheese and loads of veggies. Fills me up nicely :) Plus,like others said, it's been endorsed by The Biggest Loser and Jared, their (Subway's)spokesman.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Because it worked for Jared.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I love Subway. I eat there quite often seeing that my other choices to grab a quick bite to eat are McDonald's, Arby's, Hardee's, Chick-fil-A, Zaxby's, BBQ, etc.

Also, is the sodium the only thing making Subway "not be what it says it is"?
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise. Every time I walk past the place and its putrid smell hits by nostrils I gag.

Why do you like subway? Is it just because it is convenient?

**Obviously this question hit a sore spot with some people. I am not judging people food choices, it is a legit question.

I go there when I wanna treat myself.. there or sizzler.. I don't know where else to go!?!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Clever marketing is the answer! They've done a great job as positioning themselves in the the fast food market as the "healthy choice". Whether people agree with this doesn't really matter, the fact is that they've done a clever campaign to get there.

I'm happy to eat Subway if that's the best choice available, but I wouldn't hunt them out specially.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Because it's delicious, fast and convenient?
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Don't know, I eat at Jimmy John's now that they're here, they are awesome. Subway has been going downhill in the taste deparment for a while now. You'd think a 1,000 calorie meatball sub would taste good..but :noway:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise. Every time I walk past the place and its putrid smell hits by nostrils I gag.

Why do you like subway? Is it just because it is convenient?

**Obviously this question hit a sore spot with some people. I am not judging people food choices, it is a legit question.

I go there when I wanna treat myself.. there or sizzler.. I don't know where else to go!?!

You could go anywhere else that has food that you enjoy! Just because you want to lose some weight doesn't mean you have to give up every thing you like.
    Just watch your portion size, do a bit of extra exercise to balance out the calories if you need to.
  • peaches712799
    peaches712799 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At least it's not McDonalds...

It might as well be. Have you ever checked their nutritional content?? Yikes!!
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Subway rocks. I'd rather have the man behind the counter make me a sandwich then do it myself. It's about time the gender rolls are switched up.

Ah those wonderful thought going through your head while watching a man serve me. Makes me want to say STFU and make me a sandwich *****.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer little hole in the wall sandwich shops; however, they aren't able to provide me with a calorie count for the sandwich I order. Subway can.

Because of the sodium content in Subway sandwiches, I try to make this my LAST resort for lunch. I am so thankful they put in a Flame Broiler right next door to the Subway by work. Now it's not even a question of what I'm eating if I want to eat out and eat healthier!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Subway is a better option than hitting jack in the box instead :D Also, their website includes a builder feature that gives me a much closer estimate in calories and macros. Granted, I understand that is not 100% accurate because of employee error but its a great option!
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have lost weight eating Subway and so has my mom. We split a foot long veggie delight and add our own sauces (she always does but sometimes I get theirs on the side...sweet onion or the buffalo sauce...and monitor how much goes on it).

When we were in PA Dutch country last August I could not monitor and track all my meals like I wanted to and we would go to Subway a few times during the two weeks we were there. It was a better choice than the fatty, heavy foods that family liked to make and eat.

You say you are not judging people by their food choices, but you haven't told us what YOU eat. Maybe we would be just as disgusted by some of your food choices as you are by Subway. Either way, if we are not forcing you to eat it why do you REALLY care except to judge?
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    People think it's good for you but it's not, bad, bad, bad......lol
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have lost weight eating Subway and so has my mom. We split a foot long veggie delight and add our own sauces (she always does but sometimes I get theirs on the side...sweet onion or the buffalo sauce...and monitor how much goes on it).

When we were in PA Dutch country last August I could not monitor and track all my meals like I wanted to and we would go to Subway a few times during the two weeks we were there. It was a better choice than the fatty, heavy foods that family liked to make and eat.

You say you are not judging people by their food choices, but you haven't told us what YOU eat. Maybe we would be just as disgusted by some of your food choices as you are by Subway. Either way, if we are not forcing you to eat it why do you REALLY care except to judge?

I live in PA dutch country.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    I always get the Turkey on wheat. The people I work with love going to subway so this is one of the few places I can go and not feel like I'm going to have to hit the treadmill for hours in order to balance out my day. Plus a 6-inch sub actually make me feel satisfied which is less than I can say about any other fast food.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    holy necro-post, batman!

i like subway because who doesn't like sammiches? and you get to control what gets put on the dang thing.
    then there's the handy-dandy online calculator where you can enter exactly what's on your sandwich, and you get all of the nutritional info to enter right here on mfp.

so it's 1) tasty, 2) convenient and 3) can be healthy/healthier than other places
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options

It might as well be. Have you ever checked their nutritional content?? Yikes!!

Yeah a 6 inch turkey sub with veggies is exactly the same as a Big Mac.....

Not all bad things are created equal. It's not a case of bad or good. There is a spectrum. Telling people they might as well eat McDonalds as Subway as they're both bad is awful advice which ignores the fact that not everyone wants to cut out fast food completely and picking a healthier option (even if the food itself isn't 'clean) is a big step.
  • NathanJ79
    NathanJ79 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm not obsessed with them, but I do enjoy them from time to time.

It's all about making good choices. Google "subway nutrition calculator" and you can customize your sandwich and see just what you're getting.

Before I started making good choices, I would go to Subway to be "good" and still order a footlong chicken/bacon club or something on monterey cheddar with pepper jack... Now I just get a turkey on wheat, 6", no cheese. For its weight it's fairly decent. Or I'll get a footlong and make 2 meals out of it.

The comparisons to fast food are pretty obvious, but I don't mess with fast food if I can help it. Well, Subway. And Taco Bell -- the Fresco crunchy taco is a great value at 150 calories. Sure, I can do better at home, but if I'm not at home, it is an acceptable choice.

And if you can't live a little, what's the point? People who stick to their diets and never deviate are more likely to quit, I think. Of course the more you cheat, the more likely you'll quit, too. That's what happened last time with me. "Somebody" in my life kept wanting to go to the local Mexican place. Temptation is a cruel mistress, haha.