Why are people so obsessed with subway!

Options

Replies

• tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Subway is fast food?

I don't really see how anyone could make their own sandwich signficantly less "fast food"-ish than Subway

Thats what I was thinking! I thought I was making a good choice? Guess,I thought wrong.. too bad, i'm still doing it.. :devil:
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you're coming from because there are some food places that make me gag as well, but I personaly LOVE Subway! I actually had it for dinner haha. I get turkey breast on wheat and it comes out to 280 calores, which definitely beat the 600 I could have had if I decided to eat Little Caesar's Pizza with the rest of my family. But Subway was right next door so I grabbed a sub instead ;)

Bottom line: Subway is amazing, in my opinion.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    well i dont like subway but if i know im not gonna eat for a while, my schoolis surrounded by burger places so id rather just get a sandwhich but its like once in a blue moon
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I worked there for over 3 years, so I'm a little tired of them. I probably eat there once a month or less now.
  • LisaMarieMcFIT
    Options
    I don't get it either. The "meat" is questionable and it seems as though the veggies are never fresh. A better choice than McDonald's and the others, but that certainly isn't saying much. My favorite fast food sandwich chain is Togo's, although I'm not really sure how healthy their food is...at least it's tasty and fresh!
  • Personally I could care less about if its "healthy" I eat what I want I just eat less if its high calorie. I love subway because I love being able to get a nice sandwich with fresh veggies that I didn't have to cut or fix myself lol. I love they way it tastes its kinda like eating a salad on a bun to me. But then again im a salad bar junkie. And the jared thing makes no diffrence to me I don't eat a 6" sub with out cheese or dressing like your supposed to. It is my fav fast food place.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The reason I personally don't like subway, though on occasion I have eaten there because of the convenience, is because I have had a lot of unsanitary discoveries within the stores firsthand. I've watched people handle the food and toppings/condiments without gloves, I've seen food that has obviously been sitting there for days (it's more telling with stuff like the meatballs or sauces, though I have seen rotten veggies), and I've had careless employees. The last time my mother and I went in there a couple weeks ago, the employee that was making her sandwich became distracted when a coworker decided to yell at him for not cleaning something. It's not a sanitation issue, but I've noticed a trend of very attitude-filled employees and if they cannot provide comfortable, friendly service for the 5-8 minutes it takes to prepare your sandwich then I can't be bothered to be a customer.

I also don't happen to like sandwiches very much, so it's not often I'm craving something a place like Subway can sate. I don't care about the calories and all that, I just know what I know through experience and I won't give my business to a place where I am going to question the "give a *kitten*" of every employee and the sanitation issues regarding food and directly touching it or leaving it because it's not close to empty.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    ♫ Any way you want it
    That's the way you need it
    Any way you want it ♫

At least with Subway you can make the choices you prefer!
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Subway is fast food?

I don't really see how anyone could make their own sandwich signficantly less "fast food"-ish than Subway

Thats what I was thinking! I thought I was making a good choice? Guess,I thought wrong.. too bad, i'm still doing it.. :devil:

Well, technically any restaurant that you have to pay for your food before you eat is considered fast food.
    Or from the dictionary:
    fast food
    Noun:
    Food that can be prepared quickly and easily and is sold in restaurants and snack bars as a quick meal or to be taken out.

so yeah. Subway is fast food. :P
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Subway has food, that you get fast. That's pretty much the only thing Subway has in common with McDonalds or KFC, really.

I personally think Subway smells like garbage (literally) but if fast food is all that time will allow, a six inch chicken or turkey sub on 9-grain, hold the cheese and mayo/sauces does a damn good job of filling my tum without spiking my calories. I know I can make a better sub at home with fresh ingredients (and a whole lot less sodium) but the point is I wouldn't have the time to...
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the "healthy" option within half an hour of my campus. I go to a community college, and the campus has no cafeteria or cafe, so we have to either bring food from home (I live over an hour from campus, so I don't always get to do this) or eat at either Subway, McDonalds, or Wendys. Subway is the lesser of the 3 evils, although I do get the salads at Wendys now and then no cheese and only half the chicken, and then use only one dressing, and no nuts.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's cool. And I used to eat those foods but my body cannot handle those foods any more and when we go to visit them those are the choices they set before us to eat. So Subway is a better choice for us than some of the foods they try to offer us. I was just using it as an example of how eating Subway helped me to keep on my goal of losing weight when surrounded by food that otherwise would have caused me to gain weight rather than maintain or lose.
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love sandwiches but Subway is my least favorite. I prefer Quiznos, Silver Mine or Jimmy John's. But Jimmy John's is super high in sodium and longer than 6 inches. I do like being able to choose Spinach instead of lettuce at Subway, but I only eat there if I'm at the mall and all other choices are loaded with fat. Also they were the first to boldly post basic nutrition values on their lighter options.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oh, if I'm gonna do something like that, trust me, I'm going to Chipotle. Give me 1,000 calories then stay out of my way if you don't wanna get bit.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I hate making sandwiches. I never get the processed meats....the veggie six inch sub hits the spot and pleases my wallet.
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I hate Subway. I hate the smell. But that's just me.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat there because there is a MUCH better option for subs in my area. Getgo is a gas station/convenience store chain in my area. Their made to order subs are great, and I know if I order a steak up the bread isn't going to dominate the sandwich. Not uncommon to bite into a steak sub from subway and not get any steak.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have lost weight eating Subway and so has my mom. We split a foot long veggie delight and add our own sauces (she always does but sometimes I get theirs on the side...sweet onion or the buffalo sauce...and monitor how much goes on it).

When we were in PA Dutch country last August I could not monitor and track all my meals like I wanted to and we would go to Subway a few times during the two weeks we were there. It was a better choice than the fatty, heavy foods that family liked to make and eat.

You say you are not judging people by their food choices, but you haven't told us what YOU eat. Maybe we would be just as disgusted by some of your food choices as you are by Subway. Either way, if we are not forcing you to eat it why do you REALLY care except to judge?

I live in PA dutch country.

You guys have the best cheesecake in the world! When we used to drive from New York (not The City) to my relatives' in Baltimore, we would always stop in Lewisburg and eat at The Country Cupboard. AMAZING. First place I ever had apple butter.

Apparently, it's under new ownership, though. Last time I was there, they gave me little packets of Smuckers apple butter and the mashed potatoes were out of a box. So sad ...
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you really don't have time to cook a good meal or go to the grocery store. I don't normally go to Subway, I'll go to Which Wich. As a student, it's cheap, I have healthy options (minus sodium), and it's quick and easy.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight eating Subway at least twice a week. Wehn your lifestyle dictates eating out or quick, they at least have healthIER options. It may not be for everyone but it has certainly worked for me and it has NOTHING to do with Jared. I just find that the turkey loaded with veggies on Whole wheat fits into my journal just fine as long as I am low on sodium for the rest of the day. And I don't think that anyone could argue wheather or not a veggie sub on whole wheat is "acceptable". To each their own.