Why are people so obsessed with subway!

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise.

So by your logic a turkey sandwich w/ veggies is the same as a triple stuft 7 layer burrito from Taco Bell?

okay...

This!
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I make better sandwiches at home!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Subway makes me want to barf.
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm rocking the footlong black forest ham on wheat with pepper jack and chipotle sauce for dinner tonight. I'm guessing its 850 calories with those options. My daughter has softball practice tonight, so I'm looking forward to my weekly guilty pleasure. Maybe after tomorrow's workout, I can get some nachos with pulled pork at Buffalo Wild Wings.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise. Every time I walk past the place and its putrid smell hits by nostrils I gag.

Why do you like subway? Is it just because it is convenient?

**Obviously this question hit a sore spot with some people. I am not judging people food choices, it is a legit question.
    If anyone wants to be skinny fat like Jared, Subway is the way to go!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have lost weight eating Subway and so has my mom. We split a foot long veggie delight and add our own sauces (she always does but sometimes I get theirs on the side...sweet onion or the buffalo sauce...and monitor how much goes on it).

When we were in PA Dutch country last August I could not monitor and track all my meals like I wanted to and we would go to Subway a few times during the two weeks we were there. It was a better choice than the fatty, heavy foods that family liked to make and eat.

You say you are not judging people by their food choices, but you haven't told us what YOU eat. Maybe we would be just as disgusted by some of your food choices as you are by Subway. Either way, if we are not forcing you to eat it why do you REALLY care except to judge?

I live in PA dutch country.

You guys have the best cheesecake in the world! When we used to drive from New York (not The City) to my relatives' in Baltimore, we would always stop in Lewisburg and eat at The Country Cupboard. AMAZING. First place I ever had apple butter.

Apparently, it's under new ownership, though. Last time I was there, they gave me little packets of Smuckers apple butter and the mashed potatoes were out of a box. So sad ...

From NY and never had apple butter til you went to PA?! That ain't right.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise. Every time I walk past the place and its putrid smell hits by nostrils I gag.

Why do you like subway? Is it just because it is convenient?

That's funny I was asking this same question earlier today. Is this considered fast food??? I actually like the flat bread with turkey, veges and honey mustard.

I like the flat bread with turkey, veggies and honey mustard as well. It all depends on what you get to eat. They have choices that are healthier then others and if it's the sodium content that you're worried about just make sure to drink tons of water to flush it out.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My reason is simple. I travel constantly and have to eat out for every meal. And in a lot of small towns there is Subway but no decent local sandwich shop. So it's a choice of Subway or fried food, especially in the South. Dietary restrictions also have alot to do with it as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have lost weight eating Subway and so has my mom. We split a foot long veggie delight and add our own sauces (she always does but sometimes I get theirs on the side...sweet onion or the buffalo sauce...and monitor how much goes on it).

When we were in PA Dutch country last August I could not monitor and track all my meals like I wanted to and we would go to Subway a few times during the two weeks we were there. It was a better choice than the fatty, heavy foods that family liked to make and eat.

You say you are not judging people by their food choices, but you haven't told us what YOU eat. Maybe we would be just as disgusted by some of your food choices as you are by Subway. Either way, if we are not forcing you to eat it why do you REALLY care except to judge?

I live in PA dutch country.

You guys have the best cheesecake in the world! When we used to drive from New York (not The City) to my relatives' in Baltimore, we would always stop in Lewisburg and eat at The Country Cupboard. AMAZING. First place I ever had apple butter.

Apparently, it's under new ownership, though. Last time I was there, they gave me little packets of Smuckers apple butter and the mashed potatoes were out of a box. So sad ...

From NY and never had apple butter til you went to PA?! That ain't right.

I know! I don't know why. I was pretty young when I first had it, though. I even grew up where there were a LOT of apple orchards. Love the stuff, but it's so tough to find here (in Florida now) without high fructose corn syrup. I have to buy it from the food co-op.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I can't stand subway. It is the only fast food that makes me feel sick. Every time I eat it, no matter what I eat, I get a headache and stomach ache.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am not obsessed with Subway.

That being said, if I have to eat fast food it is definitely a 'healthier' choice. While the meats are still high in sodium and the breads can pack on the calories, there are still much worse options that I could be consuming...
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole wheat English muffin w/ turkey, egg white, provolone, green peppers, cucumbers, tomato, black pepper and red wine vinegar about 3 mornings a week. It's $2.72 and less than 300 calories. Cheapest bfast you can find in Manhattan!

Yeah the sodium isn't the best for you but it's delicious, convenient, inexpensive, and full of nutrients. The preservatives aren't the best for you but I"m looking for healthy lifestyle changes. It fits into my lifestyle.

But hey don't listen to me... I've only lost 25 lbs. in 3 months :happy:

Different strokes, different folks. It's what makes the world go round. :flowerforyou:
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Subway constipates me. It's strange b/c it happens every time I eat it. I just love their tuna, it's really fishy.
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to tell me that the veggie salad I buy at subway (with light dressing) is just as bad for me as a big mac.. You can move on down the road.

Is it better than what I'd make at home? No. But when I'm rushed and need something fast and easy.. At least I can choose healthy options at subway.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't eat subway often, but I don't get what is so bad about it. it's a lot better than other fast food options, and you can load your sandwich up with veggies. The sodium count comes into play with the cold cuts, but if your not all concerned about sodium because you drink plenty of water and/or even with a subway sandwich you are still under your sodium levels, then I hardly see what is so bad about it.

I have it once in a while, and I primarily watch my
    sodium. If you goto their web site, and build your
    own sub you can reduce the sodium. Instead of
    pickles, I choose cucumbers. I hold off on their
    cheese, and use my own deli swiss that only has
    50 mg of sodium. I don't put any dressing on my
    sub, plus no more BMT's for me! The little things
    really add up!

For $5 I get dinner, and lunch and it's never put
    me close to my "goal." Usually my max in a meal
    is no more than 800mg. A 6" sub puts me at 820.
    Same with Wendy's chili on a plain baked potato. LOL
    Just don't do it everyday! :tongue:

BTW:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/468690-almost-3-weeks-in-and-lowered-my-sodium?
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    subways is amazing!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how it's the only low cal resturant within walking distance... Yeah... since I don't have heart problems (yet) I would rather have a low cal, low fat sandwich (albeit with high sodium) and a water... than to get something that has the calorie count of a whole days worth with the high fat AND high sodium to boot... For me, two outta three just ain't bad folks.
  • Usakoneko
    Usakoneko Posts: 21
    Options
    You know, I think I need to thank the OP for causing such a controversial thread; after reading this, I just HAD to go to Subway for lunch today! And, I think I've FINALLY met a salad this disliker of lettuce can love; the sweet onion chick teriyaki salad, with sweet onion sauce for dressing! With a single serving of cheese, it's less calories than some of the leancuisine meals I've been eating. And NOM! MUCH yummier and filling!