Why are people so obsessed with subway!

Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    There are so many better, fresher, and tastier sandwich places. I love jersey mikes, they slice the meat in front of you with a slicer and pile it high! Mmm . Firehouse is bomb as well. The roast beef at subway is literally holographic, and that scares me a little.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    At least it's not McDonalds...

At least you would be being honest with yourself if you ate McDonalds. It is what it is. But subway pretends not to be what it is.

fail
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise.

So by your logic a turkey sandwich w/ veggies is the same as a triple stuft 7 layer burrito from Taco Bell?

okay...

Thank you.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Had one once, don't know what the fuss is about. It was sort of okay I guess, but nowhere near as nice as something I'd put together myself.

My attitude to meals outside the home have changed a lot over the years, these days if it's not significantly better than something I could prepare myself, I'm not interested in paying for it.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    ewwwwww. Subway is gross!
    I only like their apple chips :)
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i have the 6inch turkey and ham italian bread with lettuce and its not really high in calories and its filling thats why i like subway
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I can think of more delicious mom and pop sub shops that use better ingredients and have better bread they bake themselves. I will usually only eat subway out of desperation, like if I am starving and its the only low cal option around(since they are everywhere).

Pretty much that. Sometimes you're in a situation where it's either that or McD's and I'm going to pick Subway every time.
  • EbonyK
    EbonyK Posts: 92
    Options
    Because every celebrity endorse it! It is loaded with sodium! I was shocked to find this out. My husband is the one that realized how much sodium it had in it because I was wondering everytime I ate it why I never lost weight. I would just stay the same weight. I still do eat it but only every once in a while.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

At least you would be being honest with yourself if you ate McDonalds. It is what it is. But subway pretends not to be what it is.

Wow there's some great logic right there... :huh:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I dunno, i stopped eating subway months ago but for a completely different reason...

it really isn't healthy and it's a shame people are led to believe it is. I mean it's not the worst thing for you but it's not very good either!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Behold the power of marketing.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I love my ham sandwich kids meal. I get it at least once a week :)
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options
    Hmm, I think I want a sandwich.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A Subway sandwich can be whatever you want it to be. It can be healthy or not. You can choose lower sodium options, lower fat options, lower calorie options -- completely customizable.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    P.S....I don't pretend it's healthy or that it's not fast food...but I do know it is better then going to grab a burger.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

Wow there's some great logic right there... :huh:

There's plenty about McDonald's that people fool themselves with too. It's about making the right choices for you. I eat Subway occasionally but I know what I'm getting and how it fits into my calories (and protein and sodium, etc.) for the day.

All "fast foods" spend millions of dollars each year to make people believe that because something is low in calories or looks healthy that it is, and that's not always true. It's up to the consumer to make their choice and it's sad that many do make them based only on advertisements.
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    because it's filling...i don't feel hungry an hour after eating unlike mcdonald's or some other fast food place
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think this type of black & white thinking is what causes so many people to get frustrated and give up. Yes, I fully recognize that most "chain" restaurants (and many non-chain ones) use food that is more processed than what you can make at home. However, not all of us are perfect and sometimes we need to grab an unplanned meal while out and about. I have no problem grabbing a 6" turkey on whole wheat bread, loaded with veggies (no chips/cookies) and an unsweetened iced tea, rather than the choices available to me at McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. The only other "fast food" place I feel I can make semi-healthy choices at is Wendy's.

Yes, eating at places like Subway will be higher in sodium and preservatives than making meals at home - but it's a heck of a better choice than some of the options out there. Every time someone considers their options and makes a healthier choice (even if it's not the "best" choice - by your standards) it is still a small victory. I refuse to look at anything in black and white terms - including my food choices.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    IDK. I think it is garbage.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I consider it better for me than eating say, a burger and fries. Then again the sub would be better if I could just eat a 6 inch, but I always get a footlong lol. The last time I went tho, I did get no cheese and no mayo on my roasted chicken sub. Came home and put fat free cheese on it and low fat mayo, made it a little better and I was able to control/measure how much mayo was really put on it. We don't have any local sub places by where I live.. we only have subway and jimmy johns, and jimmy johns is super expensive.

- And edit to say thanks, now I am hungry for subway LOL