Why are people so obsessed with subway!

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    But subway pretends not to be what it is.
    How so? Do they hide secret ingredients in the food?

Not particularly secret. My logic is that they market it has healthy etc yet it is loaded with preservatives. Not everyone is able to make good chooses and if they buy a subway with whatever they want on it they could be under the impression that they are eating well. May I highlight SOME people.

You can get a list of ingredients easily enough. If someone chooses not to look into the matter, and just assumes it's healthy because its a sandwich, or because its marketed that way, then that's their issue. Also, a lot of the choices at Subway are clearly not healthy. Meatball with cheese? Some monstrosity with 3 types of meat? You'd have to be a fool to think that's healthy.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    A Subway sandwich can be whatever you want it to be. It can be healthy or not. You can choose lower sodium options, lower fat options, lower calorie options -- completely customizable.

This post is right on. Obviously you can make bad choices at subway, you can do that anywhere. But its way better than other fast food places, and many non-fast food places. Its easier to make healthy choices there than it is at mcds or taco bell etc. AND they often list the calories in some sandwiches.
    I get 6 inch wheat with mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and turkey. Seriously, that is a healthy lunch!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    At least it's not McDonalds...

At least you would be being honest with yourself if you ate McDonalds. It is what it is. But subway pretends not to be what it is.

...K :huh:
    My thoughts exactly. I didn't know it all really came down to an issue of personal integrity. :laugh:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    How is it fast food wearing a disguise? How are you dishonest with yourself for eating there?

Subway is extremely clear on their calorie, sodium, fat and carbohydrate information. They have one of the most user-friendly nutritional guides I've ever seen!

I don't think anyone is fooling themselves by eating at Subway...unless they can't read.

Personally, I choose not to eat there because of the high sodium content, but why look down on someone else for eating there?
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Please do not eat it if you dont like it. Please eat it if you do. Please make this ridiculous post stop.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Why am I obsessed? Because it's the f*cking jam that's why!
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well thankyouverymuch! I've never been before - never wanted to, but all this talk of sandwiches has corrupted me!

I've just been online to find my nearest one and I will be having the sweet onion chicken teriyaki tomorrow....:embarassed:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    But subway pretends not to be what it is.
    How so? Do they hide secret ingredients in the food?

Not particularly secret. My logic is that they market it has healthy etc yet it is loaded with preservatives. Not everyone is able to make good chooses and if they buy a subway with whatever they want on it they could be under the impression that they are eating well. May I highlight SOME people.

You can get a list of ingredients easily enough. If someone chooses not to look into the matter, and just assumes it's healthy because its a sandwich, or because its marketed that way, then that's their issue. Also, a lot of the choices at Subway are clearly not healthy. Meatball with cheese? Some monstrosity with 3 types of meat? You'd have to be a fool to think that's healthy.

Subway is marketed as healthy because they have many healthy choices. They don't say all their choices are healthy. if you go there, you can plainly see with items are touted as healty. ie.. "less than 6 grams of fat". The calorie counts on the 6" subs and their online nutritional database that lists a breakdown of all their items.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise. Every time I walk past the place and its putrid smell hits by nostrils I gag.

Why do you like subway? Is it just because it is convenient?

**Obviously this question hit a sore spot with some people. I am not judging people food choices, it is a legit question.
    I bet there's a food you love that I find disgusting, but I would never question why you like it. Personal taste is personal taste.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    How is it fast food wearing a disguise? How are you dishonest with yourself for eating there?

Subway is extremely clear on their calorie, sodium, fat and carbohydrate information. They have one of the most user-friendly nutritional guides I've ever seen!

I don't think anyone is fooling themselves by eating at Subway...unless they can't read.

Personally, I choose not to eat there because of the high sodium content, but why look down on someone else for eating there?

Once again peeps. Not looking down on any ones food intake. Just plain old interested. Or is that not really allowed anymore?
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Because whether I like it or not, most of my social occasions involve food. I can almost always convince people to choose Subway or Wendy's, where they can get wherever they want and I can get turkey, cheese, and mustard on wheat. While it may not be the best option, it is a better option. I'm sure you're on MFP because you've always made the best choices, right?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There is only 1 sandwich I'll get from there and we hardly ever eat there. That's the Veggie Delight. I love a sandwich once in awhile.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Because I like sandwiches and don't have a lot of time to make them myself all the time.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Why do you like subway?
    I don't like subway. Not even a little bit.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    How is it fast food wearing a disguise?
    Like this...

hamburglar.gif
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    omjeepers that smell is SO GROSS. i completely agree.
  • cowbearfamily
    Options
    I don't understand why we would bash someone's food choice. We are all on here because we are trying to get fit and lose weight. Instead of bashing Subway, perhaps posting some better alternatives would be more proactive. Given the choice of Subway versus McDonald's or Taco Bell, I think we can all agree that Subway would be a better fit. Plus, it all depends what you put on it. Putting a ton a mayonnaise and sauces defeats the purpose, but they are a much healthier alternative to traditional fast food.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    It is just fast food in a tiny disguise. Every time I walk past the place and its putrid smell hits by nostrils I gag.

Why do you like subway? Is it just because it is convenient?

**Obviously this question hit a sore spot with some people. I am not judging people food choices, it is a legit question.
    I bet there's a food you love that I find disgusting, but I would never question why you like it. Personal taste is personal taste.

There most definitely will be a food I eat that you don't like. I can question people it doesn't mean I am judging.
  • txwildfire
    Options
    I think this type of black & white thinking is what causes so many people to get frustrated and give up. Yes, I fully recognize that most "chain" restaurants (and many non-chain ones) use food that is more processed than what you can make at home. However, not all of us are perfect and sometimes we need to grab an unplanned meal while out and about. I have no problem grabbing a 6" turkey on whole wheat bread, loaded with veggies (no chips/cookies) and an unsweetened iced tea, rather than the choices available to me at McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. The only other "fast food" place I feel I can make semi-healthy choices at is Wendy's.

Yes, eating at places like Subway will be higher in sodium and preservatives than making meals at home - but it's a heck of a better choice than some of the options out there. Every time someone considers their options and makes a healthier choice (even if it's not the "best" choice - by your standards) it is still a small victory. I refuse to look at anything in black and white terms - including my food choices.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jimmy John's over Subway...any day of the week. I will get Subway if it's the only option in that category, based on where I currently am and what time it is.

Yes! Jimmy John's is way yummier. Local sandwich shops are usually better too. You know, ones with large tat'strami sandwiches. :flowerforyou:
    I had a Tatstrami last Friday :bigsmile: