OT-What pets do you have?

Options
12346»

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Oh, and I have 4 boys, do those count as pets?

haha, love the cat named duck! LOL You sound like me, begging your DH for more pets.... :flowerforyou:

Before we got married, I lived in an apartment, so no dogs. I wanted one sooo bad. And she was too cute in her picture. I couldn't help it, even though I knew he didn't want another dog...

Yeah, once you see them it's SO hard to say no! :) Oh, forgot to tell you, your four boys? Deff count as pets! LOL My husband comes from a family of four boys..... My mum-in-law's always telling me how hard it was..... :laugh:

Heck the pets are better behaved. And cleaner. And quieter. Oh, I could go on and on! :laugh: :laugh:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

Also have a 18 year old cat, named Duck. When I got him, his name was Doc, because he looked like Sylvester from Bugs Bunny. My son was only 3, and couldn't say Doc, so the name Duck, just stuck. I can tell you though, one time when he got out, I was wandering around the neighborhood, calling "Here Duck, Here Duck, Here kitty kitty". The neighbors must have thought I was insane! He's always been sort of bulemic, eating and throwing up, but lately it's gotten a lot worse. The vet has me mixing his dry cat food with canned, because his esophogus isn't working very well anymore. Since doing that, he's put on a couple of pounds, he's turning into a regular fatty catty.

hey bunny ~ you might try raising duck's (hehe) food bowl about 8 inches. sometimes it helps them get the food down easier. sometimes the 'buliema' occurs when they have a hairball too. petsmart sells this stuff called petromalt and laxitane (i think). it comes in a tube and the cats love it so much sometimes they eat it right out of the tube! i would continue to mix the food with canned and raise the bowl.
    if you dont want him to gain any more weight, try a good brand (not sure what he is getting) of canned food. pro-plan is pretty healthy for the kittos. science diet and nutro are good also. nutro scares me a bit because they were part of the pet food scare a few years ago, but i still believe in them - i think it was a bad situation all around and not necessarily thier fault. no matter what, buy a senior formula.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have two boys...a pure bred husky and a shepherd/rotti mix both a year old in April. They are the most lovable dogs and behave so well considering they're puppies. I find it hard to take my shep/rotti out though. He's a very large dog and a lot of people always make remarks like 'I bet he bites.' It sux. I love em though and so does my husband and kids so that's all that matters.

Crys

I completely understand when I walk my boy 9yr(Pitbull) Chiko people act like I am walking a lion however- But thats cause they hear all the negative not the positive.

I feel for you two!!!!

I hate, hate, HATE it when people automatically assume that a pit bull = a BAD dog. Pit bulls are actually very loving, family oriented dogs. It's all in how you raise them! Just like kids, you have crappy parents; you're going to get crappy kids. What really gets me is that the media won't even touch a story about a dog bite unless it's a 'pit bull' (and by the ' ' I mean that they are just called put bulls - square head, etc.). I once visited a site (can't remember it now) that had 100 pictures of dogs. You had to pick out the one true bit bull.... So, all those news stories you hear about a vicious pit bull attack, make sure it really is a pit bull!

I have a 3.5 year old pit bull named Medusa. When we got out kitten, she was 2 and let the kitten nurse on her for 3 months! We just go a basset hound three weeks ago, and Medusa dotes on him like he's hers. She wouldn't hurt a fly..... And yes, I get comments all the time - "oh, she must not get along with other animals well", "oh, will she bite me?", and my favorite from my bro-in-law when he was down visiting with my sister and two kids "please don't feed the dog when my kids are in the same room, I don't want her going ballistic, and ripping apart my children"...... WOW.....

I love my pit bull, and I would ask anyone who has a problem with them to come over to my house and meet my baby.... You'll fall in love! :love:

Dalmatians - most people don't know that they are the most vicious dog out there..... Yup, that's right, not German shepherds, Dobermans, Rhotties or even pit-bull - it's Dalmatians!

Yeah it's sad that some breeds can get such a bad rap of being dangerous, and even worse that some people train them to be that way.

The thing that I wish some dog owners would understand though is that just because you know your dog is friendly, doesn't mean other people do. My neighbor has a pit bull and It's jumped on both me and my boyfriend on separate occasions. Now, I am afraid of any dog I don't know, even a fluffy golden retriever. And I'll admit, I am more afraid of a pit bull I don't know because of their bad rap....but I hate that my neighbor lets him jump on us first, and tells us he isn't dangerous second. In a place like an apartment building, the dog should always be on a leash when outside of the apartment. Hell, dogs over 25 pounds aren't even allowed so he isn't even supposed to have him. I am glad he is a friendly dog, but I am still a little fearful of him (mainly because he runs around without a leash and I worry about him coming by just as I open my apartment door and perhaps running into my cat or something) but just because he isn't dangerous doesn't mean I want him jumping on me.

Ok, end of rant. Glad that you have a nice friendly dog though :bigsmile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Also have a 18 year old cat, named Duck. When I got him, his name was Doc, because he looked like Sylvester from Bugs Bunny. My son was only 3, and couldn't say Doc, so the name Duck, just stuck. I can tell you though, one time when he got out, I was wandering around the neighborhood, calling "Here Duck, Here Duck, Here kitty kitty". The neighbors must have thought I was insane! He's always been sort of bulemic, eating and throwing up, but lately it's gotten a lot worse. The vet has me mixing his dry cat food with canned, because his esophogus isn't working very well anymore. Since doing that, he's put on a couple of pounds, he's turning into a regular fatty catty.

hey bunny ~ you might try raising duck's (hehe) food bowl about 8 inches. sometimes it helps them get the food down easier. sometimes the 'buliema' occurs when they have a hairball too. petsmart sells this stuff called petromalt and laxitane (i think). it comes in a tube and the cats love it so much sometimes they eat it right out of the tube! i would continue to mix the food with canned and raise the bowl.
    if you dont want him to gain any more weight, try a good brand (not sure what he is getting) of canned food. pro-plan is pretty healthy for the kittos. science diet and nutro are good also. nutro scares me a bit because they were part of the pet food scare a few years ago, but i still believe in them - i think it was a bad situation all around and not necessarily thier fault. no matter what, buy a senior formula.

Oh, we've done the bowl raising too, which also helped for a while. We've done the tube laxative (although that was a few years ago, when he chewed and swallowed part of a rubber snake and it blocked his intestines), and he never liked it, I had to schmear it on his paws so he'd lick it and try to clean it off. The vet is pretty sure it's his esophogus though. Each time the "bulemia" gets worse, we go in again, and try something new. The next step is some kind of human medication to help him swallow. Not sure what it's called, but it's a last step kind of thing according to the vet.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I have two boys...a pure bred husky and a shepherd/rotti mix both a year old in April. They are the most lovable dogs and behave so well considering they're puppies. I find it hard to take my shep/rotti out though. He's a very large dog and a lot of people always make remarks like 'I bet he bites.' It sux. I love em though and so does my husband and kids so that's all that matters.

Crys

I completely understand when I walk my boy 9yr(Pitbull) Chiko people act like I am walking a lion however- But thats cause they hear all the negative not the positive.

I feel for you two!!!!

I hate, hate, HATE it when people automatically assume that a pit bull = a BAD dog. Pit bulls are actually very loving, family oriented dogs. It's all in how you raise them! Just like kids, you have crappy parents; you're going to get crappy kids. What really gets me is that the media won't even touch a story about a dog bite unless it's a 'pit bull' (and by the ' ' I mean that they are just called put bulls - square head, etc.). I once visited a site (can't remember it now) that had 100 pictures of dogs. You had to pick out the one true bit bull.... So, all those news stories you hear about a vicious pit bull attack, make sure it really is a pit bull!

I have a 3.5 year old pit bull named Medusa. When we got out kitten, she was 2 and let the kitten nurse on her for 3 months! We just go a basset hound three weeks ago, and Medusa dotes on him like he's hers. She wouldn't hurt a fly..... And yes, I get comments all the time - "oh, she must not get along with other animals well", "oh, will she bite me?", and my favorite from my bro-in-law when he was down visiting with my sister and two kids "please don't feed the dog when my kids are in the same room, I don't want her going ballistic, and ripping apart my children"...... WOW.....

I love my pit bull, and I would ask anyone who has a problem with them to come over to my house and meet my baby.... You'll fall in love! :love:

Dalmatians - most people don't know that they are the most vicious dog out there..... Yup, that's right, not German shepherds, Dobermans, Rhotties or even pit-bull - it's Dalmatians!

Yeah it's sad that some breeds can get such a bad rap of being dangerous, and even worse that some people train them to be that way.

The thing that I wish some dog owners would understand though is that just because you know your dog is friendly, doesn't mean other people do. My neighbor has a pit bull and It's jumped on both me and my boyfriend on separate occasions. Now, I am afraid of any dog I don't know, even a fluffy golden retriever. And I'll admit, I am more afraid of a pit bull I don't know because of their bad rap....but I hate that my neighbor lets him jump on us first, and tells us he isn't dangerous second. In a place like an apartment building, the dog should always be on a leash when outside of the apartment. Hell, dogs over 25 pounds aren't even allowed so he isn't even supposed to have him. I am glad he is a friendly dog, but I am still a little fearful of him (mainly because he runs around without a leash and I worry about him coming by just as I open my apartment door and perhaps running into my cat or something) but just because he isn't dangerous doesn't mean I want him jumping on me.

Ah, good point, for sure. I can't stand it when owners don't put their dogs on a leach when they aren't around. I personally don't use a leach in my yard (I have 2 acres), but I'm out there with her when she's outside. Plus she knows not to leave the yard (doesn't want the wrath of dad).... Owners of large breed dogs, especially dogs that have a bad wrap need to have their dogs well trained! Now a dog that jumps, regardless on their size is not a good thing in my opinion.... That could scare anyone! And I totally agree with you that just because he 'says' the dog in nice, he needs to SHOW you that he's nice.... Discipline the dog so he doesn’t jump! If your dog is not trained well enough to not jump on people, or leave your yard.... you shouldn't have him out and about without a leach! When I call my dog, she comes.... One time I let her out of the house and there was two deer in my side yard. Sure enough she ran after them. I screamed "Medusa COME" - she turned around in a second, and came to me. The minute she starts not listening is the second she gets put on a run! I'm a hard @ss, but you have to be... Just like being a parent..... :smile:
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    My Honey Bear, 4yo Rottweiler. I made her into a LOLdog. :laugh:

l_d9f082bc21db6a6f39f7e8654694344c.jpg

she loves climbing things, you have to watch her if you have a ladder out.
    IMG_1083-1.jpg

2yrs old here
    0498705-R1-048-22A.jpg

my now almost 4yo, around 6 or 7 mos.
    sittinbig.jpg
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

How do you make them into LOLdogs?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Crys

I feel for you two!!!!

Ah, good point, for sure. I can't stand it when owners don't put their dogs on a leach when they aren't around. I personally don't use a leach in my yard (I have 2 acres), but I'm out there with her when she's outside. Plus she knows not to leave the yard (doesn't want the wrath of dad).... Owners of large breed dogs, especially dogs that have a bad wrap need to have their dogs well trained! Now a dog that jumps, regardless on their size is not a good thing in my opinion.... That could scare anyone! And I totally agree with you that just because he 'says' the dog in nice, he needs to SHOW you that he's nice.... Discipline the dog so he doesn’t jump! If your dog is not trained well enough to not jump on people, or leave your yard.... you shouldn't have him out and about without a leach! When I call my dog, she comes.... One time I let her out of the house and there was two deer in my side yard. Sure enough she ran after them. I screamed "Medusa COME" - she turned around in a second, and came to me. The minute she starts not listening is the second she gets put on a run! I'm a hard @ss, but you have to be... Just like being a parent..... :smile:

My old man is very trained he will not leave the yard he doesn't jump on people lol he is too old for that lol- He has broken alot of stereotypes of the viscious pit-bull-

As far as the media there was a man what who was bit by a dog and they didn't care (it wasn't a pit bull) he later said it was an attack by one and the media went crazy.-- I know plenty of pit-bulls who aren't nasty-

My dogs best friend was a cat and get this the cat used to beat the crap out of my dog for months after awhile my dog started acting like a cat lol- We bring other animals to my house- My dogs best friend is my mothers furry little white spitz (who might I say acts just like the squirrel on ICEAGE lol)

They have a horrible rap- My kids wrestle with my dog they love him like thats their brother- We have raised him from a tiny pup-
    My mom used to be the same way about pit-bulls until we got the BOY and now she loves him and he loves her too- everytime she comes to my house she brings him a bone- he gets excited about her visit just like my kids do-
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

My old man is very trained he will not leave the yard he doesn't jump on people lol he is too old for that lol- He has broken alot of stereotypes of the viscious pit-bull-

As far as the media there was a man what who was bit by a dog and they didn't care (it wasn't a pit bull) he later said it was an attack by one and the media went crazy.-- I know plenty of pit-bulls who aren't nasty-

My dogs best friend was a cat and get this the cat used to beat the crap out of my dog for months after awhile my dog started acting like a cat lol- We bring other animals to my house- My dogs best friend is my mothers furry little white spitz (who might I say acts just like the squirrel on ICEAGE lol)

They have a horrible rap- My kids wrestle with my dog they love him like thats their brother- We have raised him from a tiny pup-
    My mom used to be the same way about pit-bulls until we got the BOY and now she loves him and he loves her too- everytime she comes to my house she brings him a bone- he gets excited about her visit just like my kids do-

haha, he sounds like quite a dog:heart::! Hahahhahah at his BF! LOL :laugh:

dang media... so typical! :explode:
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow Cassie....absolutely beautiful!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    tried to post my pictures but its not working :grumble:

008.jpg

011.jpg
    (he doesn't like his pic taken anymore so he closes his eyes now lol)
  • CassieNic
    Options

How do you make them into LOLdogs?

http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/default.aspx?v=v1
  • CassieNic
    Options
    Wow Cassie....absolutely beautiful!!

Thanks. shes my baby. I carried her around until she got too big. Which didnt take long. :laugh:

I agree with all the stuff being said about the "dangerous dogs", its the owners. Plain and simple.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I have, or had I should say they all died, fish. They are the only animal I can stand, I'm a neat freak and shedding drives me insane. My DH wants to get a dog like Rob has, Rob from the show Rob & Big, don't know what kind it is, but he has short hair, but I just know he will still shed:noway: :grumble:
  • CassieNic
    Options
    ok. i have way too many pics of my dog.

l_15983142b84f822f7a1c8cf27f73d41e.jpg

she was a honey bee....my son was dressed up as poohs hunny pot for halloween...he needed a bee so i made her wings with card board.
    m_76ed52747fe5abaeb985a3a603ce105c.jpg
    m_c3506116e77cbdf66f79ac96398f6bd1.jpg
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I have, or had I should say they all died, fish. They are the only animal I can stand, I'm a neat freak and shedding drives me insane. My DH wants to get a dog like Rob has, Rob from the show Rob & Big, don't know what kind it is, but he has short hair, but I just know he will still shed:noway: :grumble:

Meaty is a bulldog-
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options

Crys

I feel for you two!!!!

AMEN, I had a wonderful, warm, loving pit bull named Atilla. My husband brought her for me when my Chow-Chow died. I was pregnant with my son and depressed. She turned out to be the best dog I ever own. My son and her developed a bond while he was still in the womb. When I brought him home, it took 10 min for her to understand who he was. She watched him like he was her own. She even taught him how to walk. I REALLY REALLY REALLY DISLIKE people who make assumptions when it comes to pit bulls.

#1 child bitter is a dalmations followed by the poodle. I wish we could impact how the media reports dog bites better because everyday some one is getting bitten and/or attacked and its not by a pit bull.