At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When people say they were unhealthy, anaemic, had vit B12 deficiency (seriously? I have NEVER heard of that one anywhere but here, and I know many many vegetarians), it is clear they just weren't doing it very well. If you eat junk, you'll be unhealthy. Doesn't matter if that junk is vegan or not. If you eat healthily, you won't get deficiencies. The fact that most vegans manage perfectly fine and are in fact of above average health pretty much clinches that one.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard this before. If you google it, you'll find many vegan/vegetarian promoting websites that state this. (They advocate Vitamin B supplementation of course rather than eating animal products.)

Maybe the average diet in America isn't as good as European? I know, as a said, a lot of vegetarians. In fact well over half of all the people I know, and the only person I have ever known get anaemia was my sister, who ISN'T a vegetarian. And I have never heard of anyone with a B12 deficiency. Ever. I did hear a programme on the radio a few years ago saying that IN THEORY some vegan children could get a B12 deficiency if they were so strict they didn't eat yeast, but in that study (on vegetarian and vegan diets for children, across the whole of the UK), they hadn't actually encountered any.

It apparently occurs more with vegans than with vegetarians who eat eggs and dairy products. Especially also with older people who don't absorb the same way. Most sites that I quickly looked at said that it does take a while befroe your body runs out; maybe that's why you don't see it in children. Also, as a rule, children don't get blood tests with yearly physicals unless they're symptomatic whereas adults do (at least from what I've seen) so the condition could be underdiagnosed. Most people will build up a level of tolerance to be anemic as it usually develops slowly.
    I don't know if Europeans following a vegan diet eat better than Americans following vegan diet. One would think that most in these two groups would look at nutrition more carefully than the population at large.
    Lots of factors and variables to consider, but I have heard this several times from different sources not just from those wanting to bash veganism.

As I said, I heard it from a study done by a group of dieticians, but none of them actually found it to be borne out by fact. It was only a theoretical worry. Marmite has a ton of B12 in, so any vegan eating that would be fine.
  • fteale
    Options
    All the photos I have posted are of vegan recipes, by the way. In case anyone was wondering. Just pointing out vegetables can look good. And a damn sight healthier than the meat pictures posted on this thread.
    "Healthier" is subjective.

The meat ones look a million times tastier to me.

Really? They look gross and dripping in fat to me.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Food Inc isn't even that bad. Try watching Earthlings sometime. I didn't even make it through the trailer.

Oh, and about that local family farm, except for chickens, those animals have to be slaughtered in a slaughterhouse, not on the pretty farm you may be imagining.
    As long as they get them to the dinner table, I care NOT!
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I :heart: animals, they are very tasty!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    All the photos I have posted are of vegan recipes, by the way. In case anyone was wondering. Just pointing out vegetables can look good. And a damn sight healthier than the meat pictures posted on this thread.

What's wrong with fat? It's a necessary component to your body's function
  • pcox0624
    Options
    I don't eat meat. I am too much of an animal lover.
  • fteale
    Options

Some is. I eat dairy so I have a reasonably high fat intake. If it is dripping off your food that's a different matter IMO.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Some is. I eat dairy so I have a reasonably high fat intake. If it is dripping off your food that's a different matter IMO.

How much fat is dripping here?

meat.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I usually pay like $5.99 a pound for chicken breasts, and depending on the fat content, around $3.99 for ground beef. Of course, a McD's double cheeseburger is like $1.39, which is probably a lot considering how much meat you get, but man is it tasty.
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    welllllll...if I'm starving, with no other resources, in the wilderness, on my own...sorry but that "friend" is going to be barbeque :-)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Baby pigs are the cutest, but...

Bacon's tastiness >>> baby pig cuteness...:laugh:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Didn't see any dripping fat. Weird. What browser do you use?
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

prolly IE
  • fteale
    Options

meat.jpg

If you cooked it....All the white bits.
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Even though I choose not to eat meat, I can't fault people for doing so. Humans are omnivores after all. I just plead with those who do choose to eat meat that they make ethical decisions on what they're consuming.
  • fteale
    Options

prolly IE

Firefox

I like the cute fox picture.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

meat.jpg

If you cooked it....All the white bits.

And the problem would be?
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

No human being is a carnivore, unless they only eat meat. Human beings are ominvores.

Personally, my diet is herbivorous.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When people say they were unhealthy, anaemic, had vit B12 deficiency (seriously? I have NEVER heard of that one anywhere but here, and I know many many vegetarians), it is clear they just weren't doing it very well. If you eat junk, you'll be unhealthy. Doesn't matter if that junk is vegan or not. If you eat healthily, you won't get deficiencies. The fact that most vegans manage perfectly fine and are in fact of above average health pretty much clinches that one.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard this before. If you google it, you'll find many vegan/vegetarian promoting websites that state this. (They advocate Vitamin B supplementation of course rather than eating animal products.)

Maybe the average diet in America isn't as good as European? I know, as a said, a lot of vegetarians. In fact well over half of all the people I know, and the only person I have ever known get anaemia was my sister, who ISN'T a vegetarian. And I have never heard of anyone with a B12 deficiency. Ever. I did hear a programme on the radio a few years ago saying that IN THEORY some vegan children could get a B12 deficiency if they were so strict they didn't eat yeast, but in that study (on vegetarian and vegan diets for children, across the whole of the UK), they hadn't actually encountered any.

It apparently occurs more with vegans than with vegetarians who eat eggs and dairy products. Especially also with older people who don't absorb the same way. Most sites that I quickly looked at said that it does take a while befroe your body runs out; maybe that's why you don't see it in children. Also, as a rule, children don't get blood tests with yearly physicals unless they're symptomatic whereas adults do (at least from what I've seen) so the condition could be underdiagnosed. Most people will build up a level of tolerance to be anemic as it usually develops slowly.
    I don't know if Europeans following a vegan diet eat better than Americans following vegan diet. One would think that most in these two groups would look at nutrition more carefully than the population at large.
    Lots of factors and variables to consider, but I have heard this several times from different sources not just from those wanting to bash veganism.

As I said, I heard it from a study done by a group of dieticians, but none of them actually found it to be borne out by fact. It was only a theoretical worry. Marmite has a ton of B12 in, so any vegan eating that would be fine.
    Well that would be part of the European (although I think more UK and NZ, Austrailian?) diet that's different. I've seen it and know some who like it but not really a staple item here. Bit of an aquired taste I hear.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

Humans are born Omnivores. You are 50+ and all of a sudden its wrong? You need to know if the problem you are having with this is you dont like the treatment of the animals or you dont want to eat meat, they are two completely different entities. If its the treatment of the animasl you are not going to stop that by not eating meat, You need to join some type of a group that feels the same way you do. I do not agree with the mistreatment of any animal. But when people see these biased films,books etc they seen to jump on a band wagon and refuse to eat meat, but in reality the treatment of the animals does not change. it is also wise to go too other learning tools such as websites that end with .org. .edu .gov... where you can get true unbiased information and peer reviewed articles. if you drink milk the cows are bred and the calves are sold as veal, the people threw a fit about veal because of the calves being put into small crates so now you rarely see veal for sale so the people got their way, now they just kill the male calf's right after there born and kill some of the females and keep some for future milkers and breeding, You eat eggs they keep the chickens until they quit laying then they kill them and then wasted because they are to old and tough for the market People have a tendency once they see the disturbing pictures and of course that is the reason for the film, book, etc shock value. My best friend is a vegetarian she raised her kids that way her son is now a vegan and her daughter now eats meat and her husband is a fanatic. So chose because that is the life style you want to led not because you saw a movie.