Tami's Secret to Skinny!!

Options

Replies

• sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Thanks for putting this up, I'm going to print it and give it to a friend of mine, she just can't seem to understand why she won't loose weight when she eats no breakfast, half a sand for lunch and then a lettuce and tomato salad for dinner and works out for an hour and day and is not loosing, I tried to explain this to her, but just could get it just right, again thanks for putting it in laymens terms!!!:smooched:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this up, I'm going to print it and give it to a friend of mine, she just can't seem to understand why she won't loose weight when she eats no breakfast, half a sand for lunch and then a lettuce and tomato salad for dinner and works out for an hour and day and is not loosing, I tried to explain this to her, but just could get it just right, again thanks for putting it in laymens terms!!!:smooched:
    Ohh, you're welcome!!

I love when people realize they don't have to suffer and in fact can eat quite a lot and still lose weight!!

Realizing THAT is what made me confident I can do this forever!! :happy: (keep it off I mean!)
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Woohooo Kellch!! Great information too!! :flowerforyou:

I think this thread could be really helpful to many (especially newbies) who are confused with what they should do.

Thanks girl!! :bigsmile:smooched:

And you stole my "exxaccerrryyy!!!" :laugh: :laugh: But, that's OK!! I will share it, along with my rolls!! haha
    :bigsmile: I like it.......you're wearing off on me...that is scary :smokin: :devil: LOL...just kidding...it's a good thing :smooched:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:

Anyone else have tips to share? :smokin:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tami & Kellch for posting all this :flowerforyou:
    I'm almost half way to my goal and can't wait to reach the target :drinker:
    Some days, I feel real low, and eat basically what I feel like - within limits of course, like, if I really fancy chocolate, I'll have a hot chocolate drink first, if that doesn't stop the craving I'll go buy a low fat/calorie bar of chocolate and leave it in the fridge for an hour, then slice it, and just take a slice here and there.

Some days, the slices all go within an hour, other times, I can leave those slices in the fridge all day - then the kids get home and find my slices :grumble: but hey, saved me some calories :laugh:

I went for a 3 hour walk today, I never EVER thought I would manage a 30 minute walk, but here I am, 40lbs lighter and making excuses to go walking instead of watching the TV (YAY ME)
    I've arranged to see a friend tomorrow, which will mean a 1.5 hour walk there and back, then on saturda I'll be walking my son to the opticians - another 3 hour walk, I'll stop at his favourite shops on the way so the walks doesn't seem so daunting :happy:

I even walk to the supermarket in the next town now, a 1.75 hour walk, although...I do get the bus home - but that's purely because the bags will weigh me down, I can't believe I'm saying that, wasn't that long ago I was carrying my shopping round with me 24/7 (fat wise) :noway: :noway:

Tell ya all what I really like to nibble on, low fat pretzels, I just die for them :tongue:

Jackie
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tami, your advice is nice to hear. I've been around on MFP since September, I read the boards, rarely post though. I always like to read what worked for you because you were so successful. I also admit I read Banks when I am stressing over eating the calories I just burned off, he knocks the sense back into me.

I was chugging away, the first 35 pounds or so were easy, well, relatively speaking. I was eating between 1200-1400 calories and walking, walking and walking. For the last 8 weeks I've been on a see-saw and it's driving me crazy. Lose 2, gain 1, lose .5, gain .5, etc. I only lost 3.5 pounds in 8 weeks and I'm feel the frustration setting in.

I have increased my exercise, joined, (err... ummmm) starting using my gym membership, started jogging and added strenght training. I bought a heart rate monitor and realized that I was burning way more than I thought. Only eating 1200 calories and burning 1000 caught up to me and hit me hard. I was like a walking zombie, no energy, so tired. I have happily increased my calories, but still haven't found my 'magic numbers' to get the scale moving again.

I've sort of backed off stressing over it this week, just giving myself a break that I think I need. I've been contemplating what to try next, I think I will try your calorie suggestions. After all, what do I have to lose, other than weight of course?

My goal was to lose 50 pounds while my husband was in Iraq. He comes home the beginning of May and those last 10 pounds are taunting me! Wish me luck.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    for nice post thanks for sharing it you are inspiration for many!!
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    this is a great post. It is so important for people to understand that crash dieting doesn't work. If you want to lose a lot of weight, it's going to take time. (I didn't get that until last year either). People who come on this site and expect miracales, should know that there is no such thing. Nothing good in life ever comes to you unless you work for it.
    Another great thing I've noticed about the people you lost weight the right way, like Tami etc..., is that they look good. They don't look sick like those people on crash diets. There is a heathly glow to their faces and they look HEALTHY!!!!
    So, stick with it. The pounds will come off. :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    hey tami, I really enjoys your posts. After you lost the weight, did you have to calculate your cals and exercise as closely? Also, do you find your weight fluctuating at all as you continued to work out and maybe put on some muscle weight? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm sure there are some people out there who will benefit from your weight loss success. Thanks, and congrats!
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :sad: I still don't understand the "bump" thing. What does it mean??

In Tami's case BUMP is a little baby!!!!! :wink:
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Good for you on your weight loss. You have done great and you have given me hope:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    hey tami, I really enjoys your posts. After you lost the weight, did you have to calculate your cals and exercise as closely? Also, do you find your weight fluctuating at all as you continued to work out and maybe put on some muscle weight? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm sure there are some people out there who will benefit from your weight loss success. Thanks, and congrats!
    Hey, well I haven't had chance to focus on maintaining so much right now because the week I hit my goal I found out I was pregnant!! LOL So, my weight is slowly inching up. Only about 3 lbs in 14 weeks though, so nothing horrible.

But, I am still counting calories to keep me from going overboard with the "eating for two" thing! LOL!

But yes, there were slower weeks as I upped my gym time, probably due to the muscle mass. I didn't let any plateau bother me for long because I knew things would get going again. I just kept trying different things and I ate plenty too!! LOL!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thank you guys for the great replies! It really does make me happy to know I am giving you hope and also helping you to understand that this doesn't have to be about deprivation and suffering. I hate the torture people go through to lose weight when it can be done by eating!!! LOL! :happy:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Bump
  • TamTastic
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • megancolleen
    Options
    HI Tami,

I have a question for you.. I am told from this web site to eat 1200 calories a day. Then I usually run 3 days a week for 1/2 hour (sometimes 45 min) not to much. I never eat my exercise calories though I stay to my 1200 calories. BUT I am not going to lie I am soo hungry. DO you think I am not eating enough and that is why I am having trouble losing the weight? or should I just stick it out?
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Tami, thanks SOO Much for this!

Today while looking at my reports, i noticed, on the average I eat 1400 - 1500 calories. When I work out I usually burn at least 500 calories and those days I'm good. But when I don't work out I feel sooo guilty... seeing how you varied your workout days and on the non-workout you did some less intense exercise, is something doable for me... I'm gonna try that starting today.

Hope you and the baby are doing just fine :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    HI Tami,

I have a question for you.. I am told from this web site to eat 1200 calories a day. Then I usually run 3 days a week for 1/2 hour (sometimes 45 min) not to much. I never eat my exercise calories though I stay to my 1200 calories. BUT I am not going to lie I am soo hungry. DO you think I am not eating enough and that is why I am having trouble losing the weight? or should I just stick it out?
    You are absolutely not eating enough, especially if you're running. You are burning a ton of calories. My point with this post was to say that just because this website tells you to eat 1200, sometimes you need to listen to your body and eat more.

I would try to eat more, especially one exercise days. Like I said, I NEVER ate below 1400, even as I got close to my goal and I still lost well. Maybe eat more for a week and see how you do. If you are feeling that hungry, then your body needs more fuel.

I rarely felt hungry through this whole process because I ate foods that kept me satisfied and I also ate plenty. Trust me, feeling satisfied will help you stick with this!! :wink:

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Tami, thanks SOO Much for this!

Today while looking at my reports, i noticed, on the average I eat 1400 - 1500 calories. When I work out I usually burn at least 500 calories and those days I'm good. But when I don't work out I feel sooo guilty... seeing how you varied your workout days and on the non-workout you did some less intense exercise, is something doable for me... I'm gonna try that starting today.

Hope you and the baby are doing just fine :flowerforyou:
    Your welcome!!! I hope my routine works for you! :smile:

It's pretty easy to stand up and do some squats/lunges, etc while watching TV. If you do that all the time, it DOES help. Especially on top of the gym time.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Last week I realized that I was under a 1200Net 19 of 30 days last month - didn't mean to be - working hard to get back up to the 1350 range which was my intention. The days I exercise kinda kill me on calories - trying to get so many extra in--sometimes it's a last minute - oh I have time ot workout and I've not preplanned to eat a little more throughout the day - or I'd have to eat supper plus about 500 more and that late wouldn't be good - I am working on it!

Thanks for the post!!