weight loss without drinking water?

Options
1235»

Replies

• amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My info came straight from the book word for word...regardless water is key..;)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Actually, I went ahead and did a quick skim through now of pubmed, rather than wait until tomorrow. I figured I was thinking about it and I should find out.

I didn't find anything to suggest water increases or decreases your metabolism in any way.

I DID find evidence to suggest that drinking a large glass of water before a meal will cause you to eat less at that meal.

There's no biological way H2O can substitute for glycogen. I really have no idea what the doctor who wrote your book is talking about, amuchison. When you deplete glycogen, you lose water... so maybe the doctor meant that drinking lots of water compensates for water weight loss when the glycogen is gone? I don't know... that's about the best I can do.

Anyway, you can try your own search. I used the following terms: metabolism + water consumption; water consumption + weight loss.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My info came straight from the book word for word...regardless water is key..;)

Ah...okay...I was only able to find the blog. You are right, fluid intake in any form is essential to proper health, but the metabolism thing has not been proven in any scientific study. It has been shown to improve fat burning since the liver can do its job and the kidneys can do their jobs. I love water, but not everyone does. What it comes down to is getting fluids in any way...tea, coffee, lettuce, whatever. If you can poop fine, are not thirsty, your skin is moist, and your pee is semi-clear then you are in safe territory. Everyone is different, and there is not one cookie cutter answer. And yes, I brought up poop...it's what I talk about all day at work. I work in nutrition, and you'd be amazed what my clients tell me about their poop, and you really can tell a lot about your body by it.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    http://ask.metafilter.com/63172/Fat-or-water-What-do-we-lose

Interesting....also explains the whole glycogen deal...I'm sure if u Google u will find tons..
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    http://ask.metafilter.com/63172/Fat-or-water-What-do-we-lose

Interesting....also explains the whole glycogen deal...I'm sure if u Google u will find tons..

I don't think this site is legit because it is a forum much like this is. The whole thing about glycogen is that it is how the body stores glucose. Glucose is a form of sugar, and high carb diets increase Glycogen levels which then cause blood-glucose levels to fall. Glycogen has water molecules attached to it, so a clean diet means that less Glycogen is needed in the body, resulting in it no longer needing to be stored by the body. This is where the theory of losing water weight comes in, since the water molecules attached to the Glycogen are expelled in the urine as they are no longer needed to be bound to the molecule.

I hope this makes sense.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    sorry, I mean that when Glycogen levels fall, blood glucose levels fall.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Glycogen levels and how they store glucose is why diabetics benefit from a low-carb diet...the body needs less Glycogen, and since there are less "holding cells" for blood glucose, blood sugar levels drop too.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    wow you two, I have no idea what to say I drink EASILY 100 ounces a day, I almost never drink anything but water...wow.

ARE YOU A ROBOT?????? :laugh:

guys i found it hard and never drank water at first and yes you still lose weight :noway: but i do try to now drink water it will help your bodies look at the bigger picture not just losing weight...look at the whole health thing! :drinker: (now drink up) :drinker:
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So I'm sure a lot of people will tell me off for this, but i dont drink my water, not a glass, I've tried several times but find myself forcing it down and can only manage 2 glasses a day when I do, i dont remember ever really being a "drinker", of any sort, I usually have 2 med coffee a day, and 2 small glasses of diet pepsi and thats it. Why am i struggling to drink water? I dont think I ever really drank more than what i currently do and I have the most beautiful clear skin and am not dehydrated. So my question is, will i suffer and not lose weight without the water intake?

Last year I dropped 18lbs (unfortunately gain it back and then some this year), But I would only consume 1/2 a bottle-1 bottle a day when I did lose the weight back then, and that was only during a work out, PLEASE HELP!

And for the people who will suggest the crystal lite stuff for water, I tried that and dont like that either.

And I have to make one more point, Ive been reading everyone saying if your hungry drink water, when i do, i swear, my body feels like its STARVING! LOL

* week one on mfp today and -2lbs :)

I grew up on some nasty well water ... I was never a big water drinker as a kid. It was always flavored juice or Tang or KoolAid (don't judge me...) ... But as a late teen and then adult I began drinking water almost exclusively. I rarely drink a sodo and when I do it's diet. But let me tell you ... your body is crying out for water.

Splurge on the good stuff ... filtered water or buy a filtering system in the pitcher. They have a lot of good ones that don't cost a lot. I think sometimes we don't like water because we don't like the taste of tap water.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Nobody else is calling bull****?

I believe I have called bull**** several times now. To what are you referring to specifically?

OP.
    I dont believe any of this.

Must be January!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Nobody else is calling bull****?

I believe I have called bull**** several times now. To what are you referring to specifically?

OP.
    I dont believe any of this.

Must be January!

I think it is a legitimate question
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i never drank water when i was obese ..its been the last two years i trained myself to drink it and i do...faithfully a gallon a day most the time ..sometimes more and sometimes less but usually a gallon a day. its vital for your health and skin, ect i feel way better when i drink the water than if i dont.
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out the diet sodas. I could drink three or four cans of diet soda, but give me some water and I'd probably dehydrate first.
    I cut out the diet sodas and only allowed myself water. It sucked at first, but eventually I started to want water more and more. Now I drink 10-11 cups a day.