What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love to read right now I am currently reading 3 books (one in my purse, one at work, and one at home). I will try any author once and I do like Janet Evanovich, Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Catherine Coulter (especially the FBI series), Carla Neggers, Linda Howard, Heather Graham and more. I did not care for the Twilight series I felt a little old reading them. My mother, two aunts, and I trade books so I am always trying out new authors (haven't found one I really like yet, but still looking). I also have a used book store in town that will let you trade your old books in for credit. I would definitely rather read than watch T.V.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Reading the last book of the Game of Thrones series.

I am on book 4 of the A Song of Fire and Ice series...however, I do have a question, how can you be on the last book if he hasn't even written it yet? I believe there are supposed to be 7 books and he just released the 5th book? I was just wondering! Didn't mean to sound rude or anything:flowerforyou:

I've heard so many good things about Game of Thrones. Is the TV series better than the book?

TV series isn't better but the TV series is excellent.

TV series/movies are never as good as the books. I'm currently reading Game of Thrones also and it's completely addicting. I've also read the Hunger Games books, Black Dagger Brotherhood (awesome!), and the Twilight series. Loved them all.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Nothing at the moment, but I'm taking two trips very soon and plan on The Hunger Games series. I'm hoping I'll have enough time to finish them. I've heard this series is amazing and have yet to read it.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Moby ****... and God is it boring....
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've designed a map of Westeros for those of you reading 'A Game of Thrones'. You can check it out here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dedkenny/6597251005/in/photostream
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I just finished 'Jessica' by Bryce Courtney, very good book. I didn't think it would be my sort of book, was given to me by a friend and I ended up loving it. I am currently reading Book 6 of The Dresden Files. After reading serious or heavy books I like to read one of these. I found www.pixelofink.com through a forum member, if you have a Kindle or Nook check it out. They do free books every day. The selection is much bigger for Kindle though. I've got Steve Jobs book and Stephen Kings' 11/22/63 waiting in the wings.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

I tried reading that last year - I got about halfway through and put it down. I thought, if I'm reading this for pleasure and I'm getting absolutely no pleasure out of it, why am I reading it? It's about the only book I've started that I haven't finished.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Had to read that in college. HATED it.

I think I'll start the Game of Thrones next month. I made a deal with myself to buy one full-priced book from a book store each month (I'm so hating the e-book trend!), so maybe that will be my book next month.

I've been on hiatus from it since July because I plopped down the cash for the entire Harry Potter series, which was seven books, so February will be the first month since then that I need to start up again.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    TREACHERY IN DEATH BY J.D. ROBB, I LOVE THE WHOLE SERIES.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I think I'll start the Game of Thrones next month. I made a deal with myself to buy one full-priced book from a book store each month (I'm so hating the e-book trend!), so maybe that will be my book next month.

I've been on hiatus from it since July because I plopped down the cash for the entire Harry Potter series, which was seven books, so February will be the first month since then that I need to start up again.

I've got Moby **** downloaded from Librivox now and as I'm a stubborn SOB I will listen to it through.... the bloody whale better turn up soon. That said, there hasnt been any sign of a bloody ship yet!

Regards the Game of Thrones, that is a good book, as are the next 4/5, but the last 2 have imo gone the way of Robert Jordan and are being dragged out and making less and less sense. Just so you know. I've given up on the series now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I've got Moby **** downloaded from Librivox now and as I'm a stubborn SOB I will listen to it through.... the bloody whale better turn up soon. That said, there hasnt been any sign of a bloody ship yet!

Regards the Game of Thrones, that is a good book, as are the next 4/5, but the last 2 have imo gone the way of Robert Jordan and are being dragged out and making less and less sense. Just so you know. I've given up on the series now.

Thanks for the heads-up.
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows ... it is a lot of title but a surprisingly great book. I just stumbled upon it at the library and liked the cover of it. I am so glad I judged a book by it's cover.

Older ones that I've really enjoyed ---
    Lucky by Alice Sebold
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
    A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut
    Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (book was much better than the movie)
    Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard (life changing, absolutely loved it)
    Three Weeks with my brother by Nicholas Sparks
    Riding the bus with my sister: a true life journey by Rachel Simon (loved the book but the movie was only so so)
    The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty; Beauty's Punishment and Beauty's Release by Anne Rice (erotic books)
    Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

I am on book 4 of the A Song of Fire and Ice series...however, I do have a question, how can you be on the last book if he hasn't even written it yet? I believe there are supposed to be 7 books and he just released the 5th book? I was just wondering! Didn't mean to sound rude or anything:flowerforyou:

When I say last book I am referring to the last book that he has written (ala book 5)

Okay!! Gotcha... I was sitting here thinking... does he know something I don't! :tongue:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I watched one episode of Game of Thrones, and had nightmares for weeks. Way too violent for me.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows ... it is a lot of title but a surprisingly great book. I just stumbled upon it at the library and liked the cover of it. I am so glad I judged a book by it's cover.

That is one of the best books I have ever read. It is completely beautiful.

If you liked that other good ones are Mr Golightly's holiday and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love Harry Potter! I try to read the series once a year... sadly I didn't in 2011 but hoping at some point this year I'll be able to.

The Hunger Games is AMAZING! I can't wait for the movie! Currently I'm reading "The Fault in the Stars" by John Green.. I love reading YA and he's my favorite YA author.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

I've heard so many good things about Game of Thrones. Is the TV series better than the book?

TV series isn't better but the TV series is excellent.

I agree. My BF had read the first 4 books and was excited to see it become a series so I read the first book in like 2 days so I would know what was happening and I think they did a good job and I think the actors they picked to play the characters was good too.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Racial Domination, Racial Progress: The Sociology of Race in America by Matthew Desmond and Mustafa Emirbayer

It's amazing.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just started Jennifer Hudson's book "I got this" last night.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I said previously The Room but it is actually just called ROOM. It is by Emma Donoghue.

I just finished that one last week. I agree it was a bit weird but I enjoyed it.