Myfitnesspal vs Weight Watchers

Options
Hi, My name is Rachelle and I have had a membership with both myfitnesspal and weight watchers and I am just wondering if anyone else has tried the weight watchers. I have been following it pretty good with the new points plus system and I am finding that I had done better with myfitness pal. I would appreciate any input you might have. thank you!

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    hiya! i did weight watchers online a few years ago and it worked pretty well. however, mfp is doing the trick a bit better, and it's free. i don't miss ww at all, and i actually think the community is much more active and supportive than ww.
  • Zurichnee
    Zurichnee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that question. I was thinking of re-joining ww online because I wanted to know more about the new program. I have no way to find out about it or get new materials. I think as far as tracking, MFP does what I need it to - and want it too. Ijust would like to incorporate the new weight watchers too - if possible. But now, I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hold off on the ww online ...for now.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I did WW that was how I started out last year, I lost 40lbs in 4 months then I joined MFP and never looked back. I like the fact it`s free and when comparing allowable points vs calories I was allowed almost identical amount of food each day so no need to stay with WW. I like MFP better anyway since the support is way more awesome and I find it just suits me better.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are not alot of foods in the ww database so you have to input the fat, carb, fiber, and protein yourself to figure out the points, MFP has a much bigger database of foods. And it's FREE!
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    :heart: I agree. WW is good, but if you do the meetings and go online with the e-tools it is an extra charge. I would rather put that money toward gym membership or Zumba. I like the community better too - I don't think with WW you have "friends". That part is more similar to Faebook. I have had far better success with MFP than with WW. I love it!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Weight Watchers is all about Points. This does NOT teach you how to really eat healthy foods unless you are committed to learning more than WW teaches. I have met SO many people on Weight Watchers who have no clue as to how or what to eat, and no idea how to do anything without WW. It really has become a crutch for some of them - they can't go off the program. Maybe they're not doing it right, but when I hear over and over again, "I can't eat lunch - I'm saving up my points today so I can have cheesecake at dinner," well, let's just say I am LESS than impressed with that program.
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past and lost weight. I am finding that I like MFP much better, You get a lot more support and it's FREE!!
    The calories come about about the same as the points and you don't have to do all that figuring.
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW since last July. I have 2 weeks left on the last 17-week pass I bought and then I probably won't go back because of the cost. So sad since I am about 3- 4 pounds from goal. As I understand it once I reach goal I have to keep paying for 6 weeks until I have maintained the weight loss. Money is just too tight.

I counted points when I started, but when it changed to points plus I just could not make myself learn the new point values. Lame, I know. I did not use the online feature at all (extra cost). So I've been using MFP and going to meetings to weigh in. I needed something to keep me accountable and the meetings did the trick.

I personally think it is a great weight loss system. It really worked for me and I'd highly recommend it.

I love MFP though! I highly recommend it too!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I just canceled my Weight Watchers online membership. It will run til the end of the month. I started up MFP sometime in January and I tracked some sample days on MFP just to see how things compare. For the last couple of weeks I have been double tracking things - and I finally decided today to cancel my WW - we are saving for a down payment on a house and every penny counts.

Plus I really find that the MFP food database is way more extensive. The community is easier to navigate and I find the support here way better. The WW forums get really nasty and snarky.
  • bex1408
    bex1408 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've also just cancelled my WW membership. I, like Cahira, had been double tracking for a while and found that MFP is actually easier for tracking and seems to be getting better results for me. WW is fine, but the concept of free fruit and veg bothered me - hence why i started double tracking, and some days i was eating 500cals worth of fruit and veg!! Plus, like everyone else has said - MFP is free.

You could always follow it without joining so to speak, go along to a meeting, there's vouchers everywhere at the moment to waive the joining fee, get the info and give it a go. The online tracker / iphone app i don't particularly rate - MFP is much more extensive and there are other apps out there for about £2 which will allow you to calculate the points on things. Although i definitely find just looking at the calories is easier than trying to look for the fat, fibre, carbs and protein!!
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    I tried weight watchers online and found the community a lot less friendly than here. They all use acronyms for everything and I felt like an outsider looking in.

Here everyone is friendly and supportive and there's the opportunity to make friends as you go along - I love that aspect of it.

And best of all, it doesn't cost anything and it works!!:love:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Did a local WW a few years back - it works - its good - but its really overpriced and I think if you want to loose weight on line rather than in a 'real life' group MFP is much better in terms of making you feel like part of a community.

Verdict:

MFP 9/10.
    WW 7/10
  • kkyishkkii
    Options
    I've always avoided weight watchers, lighter-life etc as primarily their goal is to make money not to help you lose weight. They stop earning money when you have lost the weight you require so i have always been a little dubious regarding their methods which appear to change every 6-12 months or so
  • Chelise74
    Chelise74 Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to do WW and left when the new program came out. I didn't feel like it worked for me. I lost 20 lbs on weight watchers two years ago so I basically know how to eat right and exercise. I like MFP and it's free. It does the same thing for me and I find that the food database is much better. Half the food I eat I cannot find in the WW database.
  • debbie4health
    Options
    I am doing both myself. I love the new program, have lost almost 27 pounds since Jan. Then a friend posted about this website and now have family and friends on here too and love their support. WW is pricey and if it wasn't for my husband doing so well, the only thing that's worked for him, I'd be tempted to quit. We are both very overweight, so do not want to stop something that's working. I do really like our leader and that means a LOT. That being said, wish I had found this place a LONG time ago! Love it!! Like someone else sald, so much easier to find foods on here and the search is much more user friendly. Good luck!!
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did MFP - then quit for WW - and now back to MFP. I love WW - I think it's a great program. But I felt like I was eating much more then I was with MFP. I never double tracked....but it just felt like at the end of the day I was having large snacks to have my remaining points. And I wasn't seeing much progress. I was there for 9 weeks and lost 11 lbs. And I was being diligent about tracking.

Not to criticize WW - I honestly think it is an amazing program. But I am going solely with MFP now. I agree with everyone else about the cost savings too. It's amazing the support and the program you get here for FREE. Love it!
  • lasugar
    lasugar Posts: 2
    Options
    I am double dipping. I am still a WW member and I am newbie to MFP (first week) but so far I am in LOVE with MFP; the food database, the tracking, charts and SCANNING (love it) !! Wow! WW could learn a thing or two from this site. As my friend said, MFP is the new Facebook! LOL

I have been a WW member many times, and I think I have done all of their programs. The last time I joined was in 2009 and I said I would stay a member until I reached lifetime because I feel I will need the help after the honeymoon of losing that weight is over. 2 years later I am still not at my goal, however I haven't given up. I know MFP is great for weight loss, but does anyone know how easy it is to maintain weight loss? I'm assuming you would just change your goals.

MFP is way more user friendly, with friendlier people! I am double tracking and the calories/points are very similar. As a MFP newbie I don't want to give up WW just yet, but plan to see how it goes. I do like the accountable, and the walk of shame of doing the WW scale. However, having my friends see what I eat is a good way to stay accountable also!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have done both, and I prefer MFP. It is FREE, and I can talk my friends into joining without having them shell out any cash. The support is better, the interface is better, and I also like that this site to me seems more about fitness than weight loss (although weight loss is needed for fitness for many of us).
  • I did weight watchers last summer and it did work but it required a bunch of effort. the new program sucks however and i didn't lose weight on it. i hope mfp will be a success for me as I hope to lose 30 lbs by next summer.
  • 2beesmon
    Options
    I'm a newbie this just today as a matter of fact done weight watchers twice and lost a total of 115 pounds together. Does this really work m just want some encouragement!