Myfitnesspal vs Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• rustiemae
    rustiemae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I did Weight Watchers and lost my first 20 lbs. I really liked it. It works. However, this is SO much easier to track and the same principles apply. Eat less and move more. Counting the calories is easier for me to manage. I used to carry around the WW calculator in my purse and write the points on all my food packages so I could keep track. I do not have to do that anymore.. with a busy life style... work, kids, etc. I like to do what takes the least amount of my time.

Also, I find a lot of people on WW were eating the “fat free” versions of foods that are typically not as healthy. MFP is not only about eating less but more about eating healthy and obviously being fit. I really enjoy and am encouraged by the daily status updates of my MFP friends. You know they’re working out and want to do the same.

Best of luck to you -- either way works!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I did WW for several years and that is DEFINITELY not the company philosophy. People need to educate themselves before trashing something they don't understand.

Direct quote from their website:

"The ProPoints plan is a fantastic counting system that allows you to eat what you like, when you like..."

Where does that say, "Eat small meals and reward yourself with a big piece of cake"? I don't see that.

Weight Watcher teaches healthy eating. The nine Good Health Guidelines are all about nutrition. You're supposed to fulfill those before you have a "treat." And how in the world is that any different from calorie counting? You're still eating "what you like, when you like," aren't you? Just tracking it in a different way.

Like I said, EDUCATE YOURSELF before spouting off.

I was making light of some of the previous adverts shown by WW on UK tv, that certainly had people tucking into cake... not spouting off or trying to offend.

However my main point was they are endorsing parts of McDonalds menu, is this really a good policy for a company concerned with healthy eating?

I certainly don't eat what I want when I want, I think, plan, eat and make gains and losses I require.

So I guess you never eat cake or ice cream or chocolate?

You have a set number of Poiunts with WW that you are not supposed to go over. The "what you want, when you want" means that you can eat the foods you like and eat when you are hungry. You still plan.

You've taken one line from the website and decided you understand the program. You don't.

I've eaten cake but usually after a workout, I actually ate ice cream yesterday as wanted more fat in my diet (good for the hormones) and I regularly eat 85%+ chocolate for much the same reason as the ice cream but also has similar characteristics to dark green veg.

It's just my opinion that their philosophy is flawed.

Like I said, you don't actually know what you're talking about. You are DOING WW if you're calorie-counting. You're just counting differently.

As for McDonald's, there are actually healthy foos on the menu. Sometimes people are in a place where they have to stop and get something quickly and don't have an option other than fast food. At least WW is making a point of giving people guidance on what's best to choose in that situation.

McDonald's has NEVER been my first choice for dining, but there have been times in my life where I didn't have a choice. I'm glad I had the tools to know what to choose during those times.
  • danielleplumb
    Options
    Weight Watchers is all about Points. This does NOT teach you how to really eat healthy foods unless you are committed to learning more than WW teaches. I have met SO many people on Weight Watchers who have no clue as to how or what to eat, and no idea how to do anything without WW. It really has become a crutch for some of them - they can't go off the program. Maybe they're not doing it right, but when I hear over and over again, "I can't eat lunch - I'm saving up my points today so I can have cheesecake at dinner," well, let's just say I am LESS than impressed with that program.
    I couldn't agree more. That and how many people I know that have done weight watchers, gained back more than they originally lost and now are "doing it again on their own"...anyone can starve themselves for awhile and lose weight. I've only been using mfp for a week, but I think it really helps you create a way of life with accountability and you're seeing more than calories, you're seeing those proteins, vitamins and sugars as well.
  • danielleplumb
    Options
    ok, I guess I can say I don't know that ww doesn't teach about what foods you should be eating and how to get proper nutrition on a calorie restricted diet, but I can say that the people I know that are on it, don't seem to have a clue.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did WW and it helped a lot. My wife currently does it and is helping her as well. I am using MFP because it's free and it works! Plus, I’m in a boot camp in new hyde park which recommended it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    There are people on MFP who don't have a clue. Plenty of 'em. There are people on MFP following crazy fad diets, doing HCG and promoting eating disorders.

Does that mean MFP is a bad site?

Let me explain WW and please tell me where it differs from MFP:

Based on height, weight, age and gender, one receives a daily minimum number of points to use towards food. On top of the daily minimum, a WW receives a weekly allowance of 49 points to use at any time within that week, either to eat more each day or to have a treat or go out to dinner or a party or whatever (or not use at all). Then, when one exercises, one receives "activity points," which are used (or not used) exactly the same way as the weekly allowance points.

If following the WW program correctly, members are encouraged to follow the Good Health Guidelines and use their points towards those first before eating foods that do not fit in the guidelines. The nine are:

1. A minimum of 5 fruits and veggies each day
    2. A minimum of 6 eight oz glasses of water each day
    3. Take a multivitamin
    4. Eat lean protein
    5. Choose whole grains whenever possible
    6. Exercise 30 minutes a day
    7. Two teaspoons of a healthy oil (some of these are canola, flax or olive)
    8. Avoid sugar and alcohol
    9. 2 servings of dairy per day

All weekly and AP points reset at the end of your week.
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    hiya! i did weight watchers online a few years ago and it worked pretty well. however, mfp is doing the trick a bit better, and it's free. i don't miss ww at all, and i actually think the community is much more active and supportive than ww.
    Completly agree, MFP free and more support
  • tanishaa1
    Options
    Hi Rachelle, my husband and I are doing kind of a combination MFP and WW system right now. I love MFP because it makes you conscious of what you are putting in your mouth. We eat the Smart Ones meals, just to help with portion control and to have an exact caloric count. So far, we love it!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've done WW and been successful (made lifetime status in 2003 when I lost 25lbs) however, back then I found I was eating a lot of processed foods that were low in points. I still ate meats, veggies and fruits, but I don't think I was doing it as good as I could've and opted more for convenience.

The past couple of years I prefer this method of calorie counting with a whold food diet, strength training and some cardio.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW. Simply because i'm a poor college student and MFP is free
  • FromMama2MILF
    FromMama2MILF Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my WW membership, and do MFP, and find it easier, more supportive, and it's FREE! I also find myself more motivated and successful with MFP. Logging your food is easier because there is so many foods already saved into the database, and you don't have to mess with points and recalculating your consumption numbers into points. I feel you have a better sense of the nutritional value of foods using MFP, than WW. :wink:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    WW has the advantage of the real world meetings if that's the type of membership you're enrolled in. Real world support is great, so MFP can't beat that. If you're talking online only, and need to make a choice, MFP is free, allows for more flexibility, has a wider range of perspectives (WW is one, and a great one, but will tend to attract folks who go with that model only) that expand learning, and more user friendly IMO.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This all looks perfectly fine, but can I ask a few questions regarding these 9 guidelines;

1. Large majority of people out there don't like veggies so they are going to eat 5+ servings of fruit a day, which will surely
    contain a lot of sugar?
    2. A larger person is going to need a fair amount more water than this a day, looking in the toilet to guage water consuption
    would maybe be a better idea?
    3. Most multivitamins need to be consumed with fat to allow absorbtion of all the contents otherwise it's coming straight out the
    next time you go an gauge how much water you need.
    4. Why only lean protein?
    5. Don't many people have gut issues with gluten in grains?
    6. Exercise 30 minutes a day... with proper rest and 7+ hours of sleep?
    7. Wow, I can actually agree with this one - though they should also be including coconut oil.
    8. Won't sugar be fine post 30 minutes exercise to promote recovery?
    9. Don't many people also have intolerances to dairy?

Lastly thanks for educating me on the finer points of WW.
  • clatm
    clatm Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi :) I am a college student just starting out. Friend and motivators are awesome.
  • kimray75
    kimray75 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had been on WW since 2003. In 2006, I mad goal and a few weeks later lifetime. I lost 92 pounds. I LOVED Weight Watchers. I drifted away and gained 25 pounds. I went back to Weight Watchers and lost again and then gained about 25 pounds once more. I went back right after the new points plus program came out and was NEVER able to lose again. I DISLIKE that new program so much!!! I decided to give MFP a try and have been doing great as far as the eating and not going overboard, the working out, etc., so I am thinking I much prefer this to WW. My weigh in on Saturday will tell for sure :)
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I have been here a week and I LOVE IT! I havent done WW simply because I am TOO lazy to track points. I like just entering what I have in the food diary and being done with it.
  • AJ1966
    AJ1966 Posts: 18
    Options
    Did WW last year and it worked for a short time. I gained weight again and decided to stop giving my money to WW for it was becoming quite costly. I so love MFP 110% better and its a friendly community!! My co-workers told me about this site and been here now for about a week and a half and I love it!!! I am more aware of what I am eating and realized there was so many foods that I thought were "good" for you that was not. I have recommended MFP to a few of my friends and they too love it. :wink:
  • rml_16
    Options
    This all looks perfectly fine, but can I ask a few questions regarding these 9 guidelines;

1. Large majority of people out there don't like veggies so they are going to eat 5+ servings of fruit a day, which will surely
    contain a lot of sugar? -- So? I eat a lot of fruit and have lost weight and am very, very healthy based on lab work done over the years. Fruit is very healthy.

2. A larger person is going to need a fair amount more water than this a day, looking in the toilet to guage water consuption
    would maybe be a better idea? -- It's a minimum, first of all. Second, the current research is that we don't need nearly as much water as many WL programs insist we drink because there is a lot of water in foods.

3. Most multivitamins need to be consumed with fat to allow absorbtion of all the contents otherwise it's coming straight out the -- See the oil guideline.

4. Why only lean protein? -- Why not?

5. Don't many people have gut issues with gluten in grains? -- Some do. It's a current fad and a FEW (very few) people actually have an issue with it. But brown rice is a whole grain, among other non-gluten containing grains. Also, if you have a problem with gluten, you shouldn't be eating white bread, either. Just sayin'.

6. Exercise 30 minutes a day... with proper rest and 7+ hours of sleep? -- Huh? Now you're just being difficult.

7. Wow, I can actually agree with this one - though they should also be including coconut oil. -- I didn't list all the oils, but the benefits of coconut oil are disputed still.

8. Won't sugar be fine post 30 minutes exercise to promote recovery? -- Above, you complained about too much sugar in fruit and now you're piscking apart the limit sugar guideline. And it's "limit," not "avoid." And it's mostly referring to refines sugar.

9. Don't many people also have intolerances to dairy? -- There are other options. The list of dairy products includes items for those with an intolerance and vegans. There are more details than I gave, but this is a high-level overview of the program.

Lastly thanks for educating me on the finer points of WW.
    [/quote]

Bottom line is, the vast majority of people who want to lose weight don't care about nutrition, they just want to be skinny. So if WW can at least give some of those people a high-level education on proper nutrition and allow them to form the habit, what's wrong with that? Those who want to know more will pursue that knowledge. Just like MFP people do.

I have yet to see an official MFP guideline on WHAT to eat.
  • amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. My wife joined WW just to get the new program, I looked at it and there are a few changes, which I sort of buy into. For example WW gives more points to food that is easily digested such as baked potatoes and alcohol. Their rationale is that because your body does not need to work as hard to process these types of foods, they should have a higher point value. This flies in the face of a calorie is a calorie. concept. I agree that you need to watch some of you calorie intake from alcohol and starchy vegetables. I have been on MFP for about a week and have lost 6 pounds. I think it has all the tools plus that WW online has ..plus. I really did not get a whole lot out of the meetings and found that I was only going just to weigh in. I now weigh in once a week and report my loss (hopefully) to two other friends with whom I have a $50 bet to lose 20lbs in 4 months. I am interested in what other people think
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with pp... I tried the meetings and did extremely well but since becoming a mom I can't find a meeting that fits my working and baby schedule... I've always excelled when there's a group of people doing the same thing as myself. I've observed and noticed the website doesn’t hold meetings online, (I think A weekly group that logged on around the same time would be neat!) and I never really see anyone on there. But MFP is free and I'm trying to save all I can in this tight economy.