Myfitnesspal vs Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are success stories like every weight loss / workout program but their philosophy is along the lines of eat small meals and reward yourself with a huge piece of chocolate cake then the majority of subscribers are on the wrong losing track.

I did WW for several years and that is DEFINITELY not the company philosophy. People need to educate themselves before trashing something they don't understand.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone else. I think they are both effective. Calories are just easier and quicker to calculate than points. I get that their points help give you priority to high fiber foods but you learn than pretty fast when counting calories. The message boards at WW are AWFUL!!!!! Mean and snarky and lots of people eating "frankenfood" just because its low points. I also like the mobile ap for MFP. The database is better. I mean everything. Can't think of one benefit of WW.

I also didnt' like that WW was so wine unfriendly. It was proportionally waaaaay more points than I thought it should be (new points plus program). Also new program wasn't good for me because I LOVE fruit. I could eat too much on that program.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I have done WW with at least 3 of their programs. I lost about 30lbs in 3 months on the old Flex Plan. I joined again wehn they came out with Points Plus last year with the free fruits/veggies thing. I only lost about 17 lbs in the same amount of time and felt like I was starving all the time. The last few weeks I was on the PP+ program, I tracked on here too, and SURPRISE!, the calories pretty much corresponded with the points, give or take a few. I lost 9 in 3 weeks last time I used MFP, and I'm at 3.6 for last week this time around. MFP gets my vote, and like everyone else said, it's FREE!

Now I can use the $40 I was paying for my monthly pass to join a gym (most of them are $10-$30 a month around here, and still save some money. Thumbs up all around!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Ditto everyone else. I think they are both effective. Calories are just easier and quicker to calculate than points. I get that their points help give you priority to high fiber foods but you learn than pretty fast when counting calories. The message boards at WW are AWFUL!!!!! Mean and snarky and lots of people eating "frankenfood" just because its low points. I also like the mobile ap for MFP. The database is better. I mean everything. Can't think of one benefit of WW.

I also didnt' like that WW was so wine unfriendly. It was proportionally waaaaay more points than I thought it should be (new points plus program). Also new program wasn't good for me because I LOVE fruit. I could eat too much on that program.

The old program was MUCH better. Five oz of wine was 2 points back then.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

rml_16:

I did WW for several years and that is DEFINITELY not the company philosophy. People need to educate themselves before trashing something they don't understand.
    [/quote]

Direct quote from their website:

"The ProPoints plan is a fantastic counting system that allows you to eat what you like, when you like..."
  • rml_16
    Options

"The ProPoints plan is a fantastic counting system that allows you to eat what you like, when you like..."

Where does that say, "Eat small meals and reward yourself with a big piece of cake"? I don't see that.

Weight Watcher teaches healthy eating. The nine Good Health Guidelines are all about nutrition. You're supposed to fulfill those before you have a "treat." And how in the world is that any different from calorie counting? You're still eating "what you like, when you like," aren't you? Just tracking it in a different way.

Like I said, EDUCATE YOURSELF before spouting off.
  • jennifer2977
    Options

Wine should be free, considering that grapes are fruit! LOL
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers in June 2008 and lost 46# in one year - slow and easy by eating right and exercising. I attended meetings faithfully for 1 1/2 yr but after my DH passed away I lost interest in many things, including eating healthy and taking care of myself. I love WW and if you read the materials it does teach you to eat right but you have to follow the plan. The only difference in the way things are calculated is WW uses points and the rest of the world uses calories. Still considering the fat, fiber, carbs, proteins, sugars & sodium plus getting plenty of water for hydration & elimination so it doesn't matter which way you choose to lose as long as it is healthy. I don't attend meetings and haven't since November 2010 when they brought in the New PointsPlus plan. Now they have an update on that plan and many people are struggling. My theory is we don't like change.

I am still posting with my friends just like I do here but I am not a paying member and am over goal so do not have the LifeTime privileges either.

It doesn't matter which plan you use as long as you eat healthy and exercise. Use you own best judgement, along with the advice of your doctor and just take care of yourself. No plan works unless you work it.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I will say that WW did help me learn what and when to eat foods, especially with their Good Health Guidelines. I still try to incorporate those into my daily meals.
  • rml_16
    Options

Wine should be free, considering that grapes are fruit! LOL

Ha!

I actually don't like wine at all. I've tried to like wine, but it didn't take. But so many people do that it got talked about A LOT.

But I agree the new penalties for alcohol are a bad idea, as well. I guess making up for the free fruit? I mean, a glass of wine a day is supposed to be good for you, so it shouldn't be discouraged.
  • nml2011
    Options

Where does that say, "Eat small meals and reward yourself with a big piece of cake"? I don't see that.

Weight Watcher teaches healthy eating. The nine Good Health Guidelines are all about nutrition. You're supposed to fulfill those before you have a "treat." And how in the world is that any different from calorie counting? You're still eating "what you like, when you like," aren't you? Just tracking it in a different way.

I was making light of some of the previous adverts shown by WW on UK tv, that certainly had people tucking into cake... not spouting off or trying to offend.

However my main point was they are endorsing parts of McDonalds menu, is this really a good policy for a company concerned with healthy eating?

I certainly don't eat what I want when I want, I think, plan, eat and make gains and losses I require.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered how WW would actually transfer over to the real world anyway... Real world meaning the packaging for food doesn't have the WW points value on them unless it is WW food....

My OCD says I shouldn't work with something like that and stick to good old calorie counting.
  • jwalker831
    jwalker831 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like MFP much better than WW. I found keeping track of the points overwhelming at times and I also didn't think that PointsPlus worked as well for me in terms of weight loss as the old points system did. That said, I do believe I learned to eat correctly thanks to WW, but now life is so much easier and it is so much more practical to eat nutritional foods within my calorie goals, which I track solely on MFP.
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did WW and am now doing this for a week. MFP all the way!!! WW just didn't work for me. I didn't like that fruits and veggies were zero also i found myself buying a lot of their food which is expensive. the formula is simple you lose weight when you burn calories not points.
  • rml_16
    Options

I was making light of some of the previous adverts shown by WW on UK tv, that certainly had people tucking into cake... not spouting off or trying to offend.

However my main point was they are endorsing parts of McDonalds menu, is this really a good policy for a company concerned with healthy eating?

I certainly don't eat what I want when I want, I think, plan, eat and make gains and losses I require.

So I guess you never eat cake or ice cream or chocolate?

You have a set number of Poiunts with WW that you are not supposed to go over. The "what you want, when you want" means that you can eat the foods you like and eat when you are hungry. You still plan.

You've taken one line from the website and decided you understand the program. You don't.
  • jwalker831
    jwalker831 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Shrinking Ninj, I agree with you completely: WW points tracking doesn't help with the real world.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs a few years ago on Weight Watchers on line. Recently found 20, I like mfp better. Its free and there are so many nice supportive people here.I also got tired of converting to points....calories/fat/fiber are what you are REALLY counting. MFP does that. I'm saving the money I would have spent on WW for new clothes!
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    :heart: I agree. WW is good, but if you do the meetings and go online with the e-tools it is an extra charge. I would rather put that money toward gym membership or Zumba. I like the community better too - I don't think with WW you have "friends". That part is more similar to Faebook. I have had far better success with MFP than with WW. I love it!

What she said:flowerforyou:
  • Pegasusridge
    Options
    Just cancelled my WW. I lost about 35 pounds using the on-line service and liked it. It works, but. . . this is free, I don't like the new points system and as many have already pointed out, the food database here is much larger. Plus there is a community of like minded souls here for me - an already existing group.
  • nml2011
    Options

So I guess you never eat cake or ice cream or chocolate?

You have a set number of Poiunts with WW that you are not supposed to go over. The "what you want, when you want" means that you can eat the foods you like and eat when you are hungry. You still plan.

You've taken one line from the website and decided you understand the program. You don't.

I've eaten cake but usually after a workout, I actually ate ice cream yesterday as wanted more fat in my diet (good for the hormones) and I regularly eat 85%+ chocolate for much the same reason as the ice cream but also has similar characteristics to dark green veg.

It's just my opinion that their philosophy is flawed.