Myfitnesspal vs Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I enjoy WW and this site. I use them together. I enjoy going to the meetings and getting ideas from WW. I enjoy logging on this site and reading about how others are doing and how they are reaching their goals. I do not eat WW meals. As was mentioned earlier; I have learned how to rely on vegies and fruits and the proteins, etc. without all the processed stuff in it. I think whatever works for you is the path to take. I am developing friendships here on this site as well as WW.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. Any healthy eating plan/diet can work well. I did WW then found MFP and now back to WW recently. I like that I'm a little less OCD with tracking on WW because idgaf if I eat a lot of fruit/vegetables. Weight Watchers has it's flaws as does any way of eating, but most people that bash on it religiously haven't ever used (whilst keeping with the prescribed good health guidelines from the plan) in the past 5 years.
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recently quit WW after trying it (online only) for the first time last October. I did lose weight on it; it seems like a fine plan, but not for me. I get too hungry on a low-fat diet; can more easily stick with higher fat/lower carb. After about a month, I started simultaneously tracking my calories on MFP and discovered that, while I was eating all my points, I was coming in too low calorie-wise. I could've gotten some advice from the forums there, but as others have mentioned, they seemed a teensy bit too snarky for my tastes. Didn't seem worth the bother, since MFP is free (and the food database is amazingly comprehensive!), and I can track individual nutrients here--like carbs and sodium.

Also didn't care for the way they track exercise--it only counts if you do ten minute intervals. So if you're working away on the elliptical and you poop out after 25 minutes, you don't get to count those last five minutes, which is nuts.

I will say that I've learned to eat many more veggies on WW than I ever had before--definitely a good thing!
  • lduncan0044
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds on WW momentum. It worked great! Now the new pointsplus program, I do not like. I felt like I had to literally eat all day long to reach my daily poitns. So I quit weight watchers points plus and I do the momentum plan on my own, I use MFP for logging exercise and just to see how many calories my points add up to be in a day.
  • ctrogdon
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question, I was just wondering if I should join WW too. I haven't had great success previously with WW however I really want to make progress.
  • shannon4health
    Options
    i did ww before and i gotta say I LOVE MFP WAYYYYYY BETTER!!! It's AWESOME and you all ROCK:)
  • OrangetotheBone48
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers (WW) with their Points Plus system in the past and was quite successful. I was about to sign up for WW again, when a friend told me about MyFitnessPal.com. Now instead of doing WW, I am doing MyFitnessPal and really liking it. I am finding that MyFitnessPal easily helps me keep track of what I eat during the course of the day. It is so easy with MyFitnessPal. I found that it was much harder for me to keep track during the day with WW. I believe that being aware of what you eat is he key to short and long term weight loss success. It is really the key to changing long held habits. Only when you see how you sabotage your real objectives can you know what to change so as to attain them. Maybe your experience will be different, but I love MyFitnesssPal and believe it will be a super help to me in losing weight and keeping it off by changing my eating habits.
  • bcampney
    bcampney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my WW online membership today. I found I wasn't using it anymore (had been a member since 2003 and still have weight to lose). When I did follow the program a few years ago, it worked very well. I didn't do nearly as well with the Points Plus program so I didn't even look at the new program that just started.

I LOVE MFP and the tracking I can do on here. I was not eating in a healthy way when I was on WW because it doesn't track sodium, protein, carbs, etc. So if I wanted to eat something I could just count the points and eat it. Here, I can see that something is high in sodium (I have high blood pressure) so I can make a different food choice.

And the weight is coming off. 9.3 pounds in my first 2 weeks. I know a lot of that is water weight but I feel better, have more energy and am sleeping better already. I have the Fitbit and that really helps me track too!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 50 pounds on WW. MFP and WW basically allowed me the same amount of calories.
    Some people don't use the program correctly and try to "save" points for a desert instead of reworking it to fit in, and some people use it correctly. Just because it's low points doesn't mean it's good for you. I mean sure, you can have pizza, ice cream, pasta, chocolate, etc. because if it's within your daily point allowance you can...but you can say the same thing for MFP. You can have all of that crap as long as you are within your calorie limit. The point is to learn what's good for you and learn that you can still have those things in moderation. They teach you that a bagel and cream cheese may be this amount of points but you will be hungry again in no time. They show you that a protein packed breakfast is the same amount of points as the bagel and cream cheese but you will stay fuller longer.

I think for me it was the support at the meetings and the accountability. Someone else weighs you every week so at least for me, that was a little extra incentive to work hard and eat right. I mean, I don't know the people who weigh us in, but I feel like I would be disappointing them if they had to tell me I gained or didn't lose.

I like the support at meetings and the real life results. I think when you can actually see and hear someone who had results, it gives you more hope that you can do it yourself.

I cried along with several other members when a woman hit a 150 pound loss. She was so grateful for all of her workout buddies that she met at meetings, our leader, and the program. Seriously she was on her knees in tears when it was announced and everyone stood up cheering for her.

I started with online and it just didn't do it for me. The meetings did it for me, but everyone is different. Some people don't like the meetings and want to do it on their own.

I don't have a lot of real life friends who are ready to lose weight. They just haven't gotten to that point where they know they need to.

I guess it just depends on the type of person you are. I like MFP for tracking and the support online is great, but I just like going to the actual meetings and having to face the music every week.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I rejoined three weeks ago ( down 2 lbs) to get the updated information and I will probably stop meetings shortly since its quick to figure out and (I don't want to pay the 13.00 each week to weigh in,) but I have my system here set up with the WW info so that at the end of the day I can go in and calc my points and easily see where I am over or under on the things that are important to me..

I always come back to this site for basic support and comroderie(sp?) because of the varieties of wants and needs from people that tend to fit my want or need for any given day., if that makes sense.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a number of years, worked for them for 14 years and absolutely HATE their new program! Veggies and fruits add up calorie wise and having them unlimited defeats the purpose. I think they really messed up changing what was working in the past. And as my doctor said....the only thing that matters at the end of the day is the calories you've eaten.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Let's see...
    FREE & EFFECTIVE vs COSTLY & INEFFECTIVE.....

:huh: hmmm.....
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    MFP is FREE!!!

And as long as you can hold yourself accountable........you'll do wonderful!!!
    Good luck!!
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is all about Points. This does NOT teach you how to really eat healthy foods unless you are committed to learning more than WW teaches. I have met SO many people on Weight Watchers who have no clue as to how or what to eat, and no idea how to do anything without WW. It really has become a crutch for some of them - they can't go off the program. Maybe they're not doing it right, but when I hear over and over again, "I can't eat lunch - I'm saving up my points today so I can have cheesecake at dinner," well, let's just say I am LESS than impressed with that program.
    I have been on WW's and still am and on here. I find that no matter the program....it is easy to eat junk if you let yourself. You can either eat empty points or empty calories. People can harbor calories and undereat for a treat later as well. If you want to learn to eat healthy...takes some time and research. I have taken a lot of the power foods teaching to heart and have come to realize that no program is perfect and any program can be a crutch if you are trying to just get by...need to really change your lifestyle, not just count points or calories. Now that I have grasped that it is going more smoothly.....but it has taken reading and examining food to an extent.
    I personally like that MFP is free and has large data base. But also have a close friend and neighbor whom I go to meetings with and have as accountablility partner and that has been a huge help...having someone in same program who you see face to face and have to admit things too!!!!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie this just today as a matter of fact done weight watchers twice and lost a total of 115 pounds together. Does this really work m just want some encouragement!
    Yes this does work. Take a look around the site and see all the people it is working for. For encouragement add some friends. People here are very encouraging.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I came here from WW. I am loosing here and wasn't able to really loose on the new WW plan. I do not miss it at all and I feel like I can eat more of the foods I like on MFP. WW left me hungry most of the days too.. I got to hate it so I am glad I found MFP.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    Options
    For myself, I am having a lot more success with MFP than I did using WW. I've joined WW four times and had little success, I've been using MFP for 40 days and have lost 25lbs, counting calories & exercising. I really like this site. :)
    Good luck!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers back in 2005, and I will admit, I lost a lot of weight--about 100 pounds in 6 months (and I did it the healthy way). I followed the core program when they offered that. The points program NEVER worked for me. EVER. So, when I went back a couple years later, I had told the group leader (the same one we had before) that I was going to go for support but continue to follow the core rather than the new points system. They were not happy about that, but points never worked for me, so why would I continue torturing myself AND wasting my money. Myfitnesspal is working well when I don't cheat (I've been stabilized for a couple of weeks, but that is because I had been cheating). While I do eat more non-core things than I would have while doing the WW core program, I still eat roughly the same amount of calories, so I am seeing the results. I find MFP works just fine, and it is free, so I will continue to stay here rather than worry about the WW fees.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a number of years, worked for them for 14 years and absolutely HATE their new program! Veggies and fruits add up calorie wise and having them unlimited defeats the purpose. I think they really messed up changing what was working in the past. And as my doctor said....the only thing that matters at the end of the day is the calories you've eaten.

It is true that fruits and veggies add up. It is also true that I do like MFP more than WW. BUT in their defense, when I was on their core program, almost ALL core foods could be eaten in unlimited quantities provided you ate when you were hungry and stopped when you were full. The only points I had to count were the ones that were not core foods. Everything else I freely ate with no limitations (except for the couple exceptions. Even certain oils (ie. olive, canola) didn't have a limit set on it. I lost A LOT of weight there in half a year. People just have to release that unlimited fruits and veggies means: when you are satisfied, you stop eating. It's not meant to be unlimited until you are so full you feel like you are going to explode.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've joined WW twice & only lost 5 lbs. each time & then gained it back. I've lost 11 lbs. between 2-3 months on MFP and am still seeing steady results. I swear by MFP!