Your other half

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home?
    Sort of...we have a very "traditional" separation of duties. I cook, clean, do laundry, etc and he takes care of all the yardwork, snow removal, handy work. But when I'm away for a day or two, he will clean up after himself and may even do a big cleaning job if he's bored. Like when I went to my mother's for Thanksgiving, he cleaned the kitchen cupboards.

Cook for you?
    No, but he helps me cook a lot.

Go food shopping?
    No, we figured out a long time ago that this is a bad idea. He's too much of an impulse shopper and tends to buy junk food. Much better if I plan the meals and shop.

Give you massages when you ask?
    I don't ask

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome?
    All the time!

Buy his/her own clothes?!
    Yes

Notice the dust?
    Thankfully, no

Take the children off so you have some free time?
    n/a - we don't have kids

Arrange anything or is it all left to you?
    Depends on the situation

Open his/her post?
    Yes. He wanted me to throw away his junk mail but I refused

Do any paperwork ever?
    No, that's pretty much my deal and I prefer it that way
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Mine did none of the above.

that's why he's gone.......................
    Your fault! You didn't read the owners manual.:laugh:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? We have a good division of labor that works well for us.

Cook for you? That is mostly my job, but when I broke my toes, my husband, who hates to cook, did all the cooking for five weeks, including Thanksgiving dinner. That's the equivalent (to me, anyway) of me shoveling the driveway and walk years ago when he broke his big toe. We have one another's back.

Go food shopping? He will, but he prefers if I do it. I don't mind. I'm trying to become more active anyway.

Give you massages when you ask? Yes. :love:

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Yes :blushing:

Buy his/her own clothes?! Yes. He prefers what he picks out himself anyway.

Notice the dust? Not really. But he will help me dust if company is coming and I ask him to do so.

Take the children off so you have some free time? Unfortunately, we have not been blessed with children.

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? We cooperate.

Open his/her post? Sometimes I have to prioritize his mail for him, or deadlines will pass him by. I will not open personal mail though. That includes the Christmas card an old girlfriend sent us with my name "mistaken" on there. Yep. When she called later and said "Hi Kate!", I said "There is no one here by that name. I'll let you speak to my husband..." Don't worry. We got it all straightened out now!

Do any paperwork ever? Filling out forms and bill paying, yes. I do the filing. I think this works well for us.
  • TabbyDunn
    Options
    Just looking for a gauge really!

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? Nope but I'm a stay at home mom so it makes sense that I do it.

Cook for you? He eats things like ramen and hot dogs.... ewwww

Go food shopping? We do it together

Give you massages when you ask? erm no

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Nope but to be fair it has been awhile since I told him he's was hot

Buy his/her own clothes?! Yes

Notice the dust? He rarely complains about it

Take the children off so you have some free time? All the time

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? He usually structures everything

Open his/her post? We open our own mail

Do any paperwork ever? He's the only one who does paperwork
  • alishuman
    Options

Does your other half:

Cook for you?

Go food shopping?

Notice the dust?

Open his/her post?

Do any paperwork ever?

Housework - yes. Equal or more than...

Cooking - yes. A few nights a week, and on Sundays, all meals.

Food shopping: Oh yeah. He's always stopping at the store for me on his way home from work. We live an hour from the shopping center, so it's just not practical for me to "run out" for a gallon of milk!)

Massages - yep, and usually I don't even have to ask.

Compliments - yeah... but I don't believe him.

Clothes - we do that together. He likes my input, but will do it on his own if I'm unavailable.

Dust - No... But if he does, he usually grabs a rag and takes care of it himself. (Besides, we have really high ceilings and I can't reach the cobwebs in the corners. I don't quite hit 5'3").

Children - sometimes. Not often, but I really don't feel the need to have 'time off' from my kids very frequently. And when I do get time alone, I have no idea what to do.

Arrangements - I tend to handle that area, just because I know the kids schedules better and have a better grasp of appointments. He works 52+ hours a week, so if I left it to him... nothing would ever get done.

Mail - If it's personal. If it's bills, I do it since I take care of the checkbook.

Paperwork - on occasion, but really, I have more time since I stay at home with the kids.
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? I clean generally clean the inside on a regular basis and he is in charge of the outside(since I like to kill anything green :ohwell: ) He is also a carpentar so I would rather him work on house projects than be cleaning it...currently he is doing a master bedroom remodel for me :love:

Cook for you? In the summer time he is my bbq king

Go food shopping? I generally do that as well but it is because I know what we need more than he does but if I am really busy and ask him to and give him a list he will gladly go. He also loves to go to Costco with me :)

Give you massages when you ask? Nope, I never really ask

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Everyday

Buy his/her own clothes?! No, if I let him I would be embarrassed :laugh:

Notice the dust? He notices when I clean

Take the children off so you have some free time? we don't have kids yet

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? I am the planner so I like to arrange everything :wink:

Open his/her post? Only if it is a bill:frown:

Do any paperwork ever? Always, he likes to be in the know about bills, dmv, and such
  • heatherterp
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? Yes he is not working so he is currently doing most of it. When he is working we share. I told him one of the sexiest things in the world to me is a man vacuuming. seems to have worked :)

Cook for you? 95% of the time. he really enjoys it. I do too, but I think he gets more pleasure from it.

Go food shopping? yes. We go together, or he goes while I am at work. then we can spend quality time together

Give you massages when you ask? if he is in the mood. Used to be better about this, but not so much anymore.

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? He tells me he loves and and that I am beautiful all the time. I will catch him just staring at me sometimes. makes me crazy I must admit.

Buy his/her own clothes?yes, but we go together. unless he needs jeans or what not.

Notice the dust? NO because I would ask him to dust it :)

Take the children off so you have some free time? no kids :(

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? I do the vacation planning. I am better at it. :)

Open his/her post? as in mail. Never. I would not care if he opened my mail, but not something he will do

Do any paperwork ever? yes he will if I ask him too. or if it directly relates to him.

• IzzyandBri_mommy
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? sometime he has his chores, I do mine

Cook for you? yes he taught me how to cook

Go food shopping? yes but to only see my coupon savings

Give you massages when you ask? yes sometimes I don't even have to ask :)

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? yes

Buy his/her own clothes?! no

Notice the dust? sometimes

Take the children off so you have some free time? yes at least once a weekend day I get an afternoon to myself.

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? depends, traveling usually him, house stuff is me

Open his/her post? no

Do any paperwork ever? no
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? *yes

Cook for you? *sometimes

Go food shopping? *yes

Give you massages when you ask? *yes, he did last night because my neck felt strained

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome?*yes

Buy his/her own clothes?! *of course!

Notice the dust? *no...

Open his/her post? *doesn't have one

Do any paperwork ever?*no...
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? it's about 70/30 her doing most of it with me pitching in

Cook for you? once or twice a week were more 50/50 on that one

Go food shopping? she usually does the big shopping list shopping but I go to the store every other day to pick up little things for her

Give you massages when you ask? nope, she seldom ever does. I do it for her most of the times she asks

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? I like to remind her often, usually every day. she told me I was handsome a month ago and then maybe a year before that

Buy his/her own clothes?! ya she does, but mostly with my money :p

Notice the dust? yes

Take the children off so you have some free time? seldom

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? she plans stuff and then it's up to me to arrange baby sitting and money and time off and such

Open his/her post? sometimes

Do any paperwork ever? nope
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My Mr 'forgot' to do these things (the positives) for a few years. I am VERY lucky in that he was recently reminded, now goes above and beyond to make me happy in every way. He is back to being the 18 year old that I fell in love with (with all the knowledge and experience of the next 25+ years!). Making him about perfect. :-D It doesn't really get better than that!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do an equal share of the housework ? - "House"work, YES -- taking into consideration of the whole house, inside and out.

Cook for you? - He's a chef, so prefers not to cook after a long day in the kitchen. I love to cook, so I do it for the vast majority of time.

Go food shopping? - He works on SAT, so I do the house chores and shopping.

Give you massages when you ask? - He would, but I don't ask.

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? - I don't remember the last time.

Buy his/her own clothes?! - Yes, he makes all his own purchases, doesn't drag me along -- and also does all his own laundry.

Notice the dust? - What dust? ...Thankfully, no.

Take the children off so you have some free time? - Don't have children.

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? - I take care of all the arranging.

Open his/her post? - No.

Do any paperwork ever? - I pay the bills.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? :laugh: No way. I'm not sure if he even knows where anything is anyways. Furthermore, he'd do a crappy job so it's better that I do it.

Cook for you? VERY rarely

Go food shopping? Once in awhile but it's always with me; not on his own

Give you massages when you ask? Yes & sometimes without asking, too :happy:

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Yes

Buy his/her own clothes?! Sometimes, but most of the time he wants me with him to give my opinion

Notice the dust? No

Take the children off so you have some free time? No kids yet

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? Depends; I'd say it's 50/50 in many different ways

Open his/her post? Yes

Do any paperwork ever? Yes
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? Sometimes if I allow him.. but since he works hard all week I like him to relax when he's home. I throw a stink if he tries lol, but he still helps.

Cook for you? About twice a wk to give me a break but I just love to cook!

Go food shopping? He goes with me.

Give you massages when you ask? I don't ever ask but he rubs my feet/calves a few times a week.

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? I don't think he's gone a day without.

Buy his/her own clothes?! He comes I pick them he pays lol.

Notice the dust? Nope

Take the children off so you have some free time? A couple times a week.

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? Mostly me unless he's taking me out.

Open his/her post? We open our own.

Do any paperwork ever? All of the time!
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options

Married nearly 19 years (anniversary on 2/20)....

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? Nadda, never.

Cook for you? Nope, unless he does a b-b-q. Only on the grill and that hasn't happened in a while. Thankfully, the family doesn't starve b/c I do like to cook.

Go food shopping? Never, unless it is a trip to a warehouse club.

Give you massages when you ask? Yes. I don't ask often though, it never seems as long as I need.

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Not much. This use to hurt me deeply when we were first married. I've learned to give myself compliments.

Buy his/her own clothes?! Sometimes. Especially if they are a good deal. He is a biker and saw a couple weeks ago he could pick up biker shirts for $3 a piece. He didn't need anymore shirts but bought them anyway because it was a deal.

Notice the dust? Yes. And the clutter that the house accumulates during the week.

Take the children off so you have some free time? Use to when I asked. Now the kids are 16 & 18 yo. so they go for long periods on their own.

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? It's left to me for the most part. Unless it is something planned with his family.

Open his/her post? No. This was only an issue once, since then no.

Do any paperwork ever? Bills? He pays them, but I list them, make sure they get paid on time.
  • tplcook1
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? No. I handle all

Cook for you? Yes, Cooks for everyone bc I can't:)

Go food shopping? yes because (per him) I don't know how to shop and I pay too much

Give you massages when you ask? Yes

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Yes

Buy his/her own clothes? Yes

Notice the dust? Never

Take the children off so you have some free time? Always

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? Its most often left to me but I don't mind because I know its done right:)

Open his/her post? No

Do any paperwork ever? Never
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Does your other half:

Sometimes, though his are the "man chores" like the litter box or trash. other than that not really...i'm following behind him with the vacuum

Cook for you?
    Once in a while, but neither of us are great cooks

Go food shopping?
    Yes :) but I have to write a list, down to the specific name, brand and sometimes what the package looks like

Yea...*drools* I should ask more though...he does GREAT massages...mmmmm....

All the time, especially if I am being critical of my self or say I need to lose weight he says things like "Do it for you, not for me. I think you are beautiful the way you are now" (even after our daughter was born *heart*)

He does

Notice the dust?
    Never in a million years would he notice dust

All the time actually :) he loves taking care of her (she is only 7 months old and not very mobile yet though)

Me, but he will arrange his own computer desk when it gets to a certain point. I'm not the best at organizing either though

Open his/her post?
    Yea, and mine too and vice versa

Do any paperwork ever?
    Nope, all the bills are mine and handed straight to me when they come in...he can't figure them out
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? Nope, but neither do I

Cook for you? Yes

Go food shopping? Yes

Give you massages when you ask? Not really, I prefer giving them anyways

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? Yes, she's a rotten liar!

Buy his/her own clothes?! Yep!

Notice the dust? Not so much...

Take the children off so you have some free time? Hooray for no children!

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? Left to me

Open his/her post? Yeah

Do any paperwork ever? Very rarely and forced
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

Does your other half:

Do an equal share of the housework when he/she is home? No but he will help if I ask him to.

Cook for you? Unless it involves a BBQ grill, no. And we're all thankful for that!

Go food shopping? He usually goes with me. Especially right now since one of our cars is down.

Give you massages when you ask? Yeah but they don't last long and the kids are better at it. Unless I'm "in the mood" I don't ask him.

Tell you you are beautiful/handsome? All the time. Every time he calls he starts with "Hello beautiful"

Buy his/her own clothes?! Yes and no. If he's out and sees a good deal on something he needs he'll buy it but I also do that for him since I know his sizes and taste.

Notice the dust? No, thankfully! He's a woodworker, we heat with a wood stove and live on gravel roads! I'd be in trouble if he noticed the dust! We finger paint in it and call it "art class" since we homeschool. :D

Take the children off so you have some free time? Yes but now that we have two teens we usually ditch them and sneak off together. The older two babysit. Win!

Arrange anything or is it all left to you? Mostly me but he does sometimes and will if I ask him to.

Open his/her post? Yes

Do any paperwork ever? He does all the bill paying and I update the computer checkbook so we're both involved. Other paper work it depends on what it is but he's usually pretty good about being involved in some fashion and is always willing to help if I ask.