5yr old used Wii to lose weight

Options

Replies

• amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Really??

Maybe you shuld not have LET her get so big instead of having her have to lose weight .

I blame parents like you in part for the childhood obesity problem our country is facing!!

YOU should have been feeding her better and having her move more from the start.

Shame on YOU!
  • Ceebee37
    Options
    sooo cute!! I want my nearly 5 year old to put on some weight!! He eats heaps but doesn't gain much!! He is very active outside I think he has his fathers motabolism not mine lol!!
  • Ceebee37
    Options
    I think that is a very unfair comment to make!! You are really judging her arent you?? She has done something, you should be praising her not putting her down. Shame on you!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Really??

Maybe you shuld not have LET her get so big instead of having her have to lose weight .

I blame parents like you in part for the childhood obesity problem our country is facing!!

YOU should have been feeding her better and having her move more from the start.

Shame on YOU!
    WOW!
    Obviously the OP is here on MFP because she's working on changing bad habits in her own life (like most people here - yourself included, I'm sure). Is it really necessary to chastise her for something she clearly knew was an issue? Her daughter is healthier now and for that, she should be commended, not put down.

Additionally, I really don't think someone doesn't have kids, was at least 95 lbs overweight, and lost their own weight using the HCG diet is really the best person to give advice to a parent whose kid has lost weight in a natural healthy way!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Really??

Shame on YOU!

Really? I personally think parents like this woman are the reason kids are becoming more active. Could she have stopped her child from gaining weight? Possibly BUT she did do something positive to peek the chids interest in activity.

I think she deserves a huge pat on the back for seeing an issue and taking it into her own hands. She could have easily ignored it and then had to deal with a child that was enduring a life of hellish torture because she was being teased, instead she got the kid a video game, and let her dance.

Personally until you have a child of your own you should probably check the way you talk to others...

just my opinion of course.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    adorable.
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Awwhhhh what a fab story and what a wonderful mother you really are! She's so lucky to have you. x
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Really??

Shame on YOU!

Wow what a crank! Kids can get fat, it's called puppy fat, big deal!

Getting her child out of the puppy fat stage at just 5 years old is just tremendous!

I wonder how long you have been active for - rudeness!
  • alenakelly
    Options
    Even though this is great, whatever happened to the plain old routine of getting your children out into the fresh air cycling, playing, going for walks, making kites fly, climbing trees? I actually found that quite fun when I was a child.... just saying...

we sure will spring/summer..... we do a lot of activities summer time, but where we live its currently -47
  • alenakelly
    Options
    Really??

Shame on YOU!

you have to be kidding me? how rude can someone be, If you MUST know, we came from a little town with no work and HAD to eat whatever we could afford, which unfortunately, was french fries etc and unhealthy items.....

we moved across canada last year, my husband is a welder and makes GREAT money, now we can eat healthy, or whatever we want for that matter, but the point is she came from overweight and unhealthy to healthy in 3 months! so screw critics like you, walk a mile in my shoes before you judge!
  • alenakelly
    Options
    Really??

Shame on YOU!
    WOW!
    Obviously the OP is here on MFP because she's working on changing bad habits in her own life (like most people here - yourself included, I'm sure). Is it really necessary to chastise her for something she clearly knew was an issue? Her daughter is healthier now and for that, she should be commended, not put down.

Additionally, I really don't think someone doesn't have kids, was at least 95 lbs overweight, and lost their own weight using the HCG diet is really the best person to give advice to a parent whose kid has lost weight in a natural healthy way!

thank you so much heidi, I appreciate that more then you know :)
  • gem412
    gem412 Posts: 3
    Options
    Aww she's gorgeous! You must be so proud of her, and im sure she will be uber proud of mummy too. xx
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    What you did was amazing for your little girl. Ignore those that can't understand that. :)
  • alenakelly
    Options
    What you did was amazing for your little girl. Ignore those that can't understand that. :)

Thank you :)
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    she looks so good!! congrats to you and here, and boo on the haters of this thread. she's 5 years old, you certainly didn't starve her. she just had fun playing a video game, and got healthier because of it.
  • deanna200284
    deanna200284 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's insane to see all the negative comments on this. Clearly the child is happy and healthy. People need to see this post as an example that it is perfectly healthy and fine to get your kids in shape, not ignore their children's well being and health. This is not a case of mommy dearest telling her child she is fat and needs to lose weight to be perfect, this is a mother recognizing and preventing future health issues like juvenile diabetes and asthma. This little girl is not starving and miserable. People need to get out of that "She is still young, you don't need to worry about her weight right now" mentality.
  • kar74
    kar74 Posts: 49
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job with her - gorgeous! Kudos to you for caring enough to show show herthe healthy way of living. :-)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    we sure will spring/summer..... we do a lot of activities summer time, but where we live its currently -47

Do I hear that... wind chill last night was -50, blankets on the windows, and even with a block heater the car just refused to start. I do love Alberta, but I sure miss Nova Scotia winters!!!

Thanks for this thread, you motivated me to get the Wii back out. I just left the board out in the living room, and the girls have been on and off it a lot the last few days. :o)
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Obviously the negative comments have some issues themselves because they are just being rude. I wish my parents had realized how they were feeding me was hurting me and then done something to make me more active. Maybe I wouldn't be in this situation I am now. Kudos to you for teaching your little girl better habits both in eating and exercise, I bet she will keep these lessons her whole life and will be healthy because she is watching you and learning! It's not like you are making her do adult exercises or anything.

She is adorable btw and looks so happy in both pictures!
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    That is seriously awesome! I'm glad your daughter found something to motivate her to get healthier and increase her activity level.

I just recently put new batteries into our Wii and have been using it for my own exercise. Of course my daughters are very interested, and it's proven to be a fabulous tool to keep them moving during the winter months. However, I do hate the way that the scale makes the dramatic plumping of the Mii if they are larger than they "should" be. My daughter is almost 9, and she's getting dangerously close to puberty (it hits our family early) and she's been preparing for a growth spurt. Right now her weight is in the higher end of *normal*. But the Wii plumps her up and makes the Mii look terrible, as well as saying that she's in the 'at risk for being overweight' category. Once she saw her younger sister (who is 3 with an insane metabolism) weigh in at the "perfect" body weight and saw it all sparkly, she started saying things about not wanting to be fat and needing to lose weight. It made me super worried.

While I do want my kids to be healthy and active, I wanted to stress to her that it's just not necessary for children to try to lose weight. I told her that she weighed exactly as much as she needed to. I tried to explain that children's bodies will slim down as they grow. But of course, my daughter *isn't* overweight, and I know that. I'm sure my feelings on teh subject, and my choice of wording, might change if that were the case. Of course, I still don't like the idea of a little girl focusing so much on her weight and body in general. It's a hard balance to achieve, I think.

In any case, I think you seem to have set a fine example for your daughter. She looks wonderful, and that is such an amazing accomplishment for anyone-- let alone a 5-year-old. Hopefully this experience has taught her a respect and appreciation for exercise that she will be able to carry with her into adulthood. I have a feeling that if many of us had the opportunity to experience something similar as children, then we might not be on this website today. Good job mama!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!