Time to Tackle P90X - and You Can, Too..! Starting Monday 3/

Options

Replies

• trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    P90X DAY THIRTY-SIX - Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, Ab Ripper X

Man, this workout is a killer. It blasts everything from your hands, across your chest, and back to the other hand. My forearms were sore for hours after finishing this today. I did manage to have a bit of a disappointment - I could not execute the One-Arm Push-Up. I mean, like not even ONE rep. It didn't matter how I positioned my arm relative to my body, it didn't matter how I placed my hand or turned my wrist, I simply could not get in a rep of this exercise - very, very frustrating. Before I start Plyo in the morning, I'm going to try to see if I can figure out how to get that move down and at least get some reps in. I'm hoping that the trouble today was due to muscle fatigue and not from an inability of some kind. We shall see...

The MUTHA is on-deck for the morning. I'm ready for some football hero!
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hey, Tony! Congrats on getting stronger in kenpo! I really like that one, too! Although I'm doing them on my knees, I found that having my hand in the wide push-up position allowed me to perform a decent push-up. I got 12 reps!!!!!

Plyo today!!! Very much a love-hate feeling!!!:laugh:

Have you seen me in WOWY? I tried to add you as a buddy the other day, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.:grumble:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Had a great day today!! I felt really strong and pushed myself like never before! I ran 3 miles after lunch for 330 calories; then did plyo for a personal best 458 cals and kept up with the group for 95% of the routine!!! Finally, ARX!!! I missed it yesterday so will do on the off days this week! I can't believe how strong I feel!:drinker: This is an amazing program!:heart: I wish I'd discovered it years ago!!!

Have a good evening everyone!!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    P90X DAY THIRTY-SEVEN - Plyometrics (The MUTHA)

I'm not sure what the deal was today, but Plyo had me sweating buckets for some reason, like more than any other time I've done it. In any event, the workout went well and is still a killer, no doubt. However, I was able to ramp up the intensity in a few nemesis moves today. For the last 15 seconds of each set of Jump-Knee-Tucks, I did the exercise at double speed - very nice, thank you. And I double-timed the last 15 seconds of each set of Rock Star Jumps as well - not bad for a getting-older guy.

Tomorrow is Back & Biceps... I hate to say this, but I'm starting to look forward to getting on the bar. What is P90X doing to me..?!?!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    April... I think you're suggestion was a good one. I put my hand out in the wide-hand pushup position, dropped my weight over to that shoulder, and twisted a little at the waist, and I got it done. Many thanks!

Way to go running three miles AND tackling Plyo... Very impressive. You're really improving, which is awesome. Oh, and I did find you in WOWY and sent you some workout invites this evening (not knowing exactly what time you work out and such). HRM tells me I burned 840 calories in Plyo tonight, which works for me.

Oh, and just as an observation... YOU need to get a profile pic up here one of these days lady... lol... Have a good night!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    hey Tony! recovery week for me! phase 2 week 8 day 1 yoga done! only did 50 minutes of it but i did it!! still not a fan of it! boring! :noway:
    Tracy... Now, you of all people should appreciate the value of the Yoga routine. You're increasing your flexibility, your muscular endurance, your balance, and your sustained concentration... All ingredients for making a superior martial artist. Try to view the workout through the lens of how it can help your TKD performance, and perhaps you'll be a bit more amenable to it. Remember, you need to be in touch with the hard and fast side of your martial art and the slow and spiritual side as well - yin and yang dear lady, and one cannot exist without the other. Work on mastering both sides of your personality and performance.

I know I'm sounding kinda preachy here, but I've had students want to come in and learn techniques and be powerful and make noise and jump around and impress their friends. The fact is, when I get them on the mat, they're easily defeated because they haven't mastered the softer elements of the art and the spirit and application of the techniques. They can't relax, slow down, and assess an opponent, so they lose. Being in touch with yourself, your body, and your own ki is essential to mastering any martial art... and mastering yourself.

Keep at it Tracy... :bigsmile:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    April... I think you're suggestion was a good one. I put my hand out in the wide-hand pushup position, dropped my weight over to that shoulder, and twisted a little at the waist, and I got it done. Many thanks!

Way to go running three miles AND tackling Plyo... Very impressive. You're really improving, which is awesome. Oh, and I did find you in WOWY and sent you some workout invites this evening (not knowing exactly what time you work out and such). HRM tells me I burned 840 calories in Plyo tonight, which works for me.

Oh, and just as an observation... YOU need to get a profile pic up here one of these days lady... lol... Have a good night!

You're right!! I'm afraid to admit I'm technologically challenged!!!:grumble: :laugh: I'll have my husband help me as soon as he's got time. I'm making him do P90X, so he doesn't have much spare time!!!:laugh:

Bring it!
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    hey Tony i know yoga is good for me but i dont have to like it yesterday did core syn! Now that was fun! i love those prison cell pushups! 5 of those babies and youre feeling it! got kenpo later today another favorite! have a great day!:smile:
  • trenauldo
    Options
    hey Tony i know yoga is good for me but i dont have to like it yesterday did core syn! Now that was fun! i love those prison cell pushups! 5 of those babies and youre feeling it! got kenpo later today another favorite! have a great day!:smile:
    Tracy... You're absolutely right; you don't have to like it. There are days when I don't, for sure. I just try to stay focused on the benefits, among those for you being that it'll help you become a more well-rounded martial artist.

CS is a toughie workout, no doubts. Superman! Banana! Superman! Banana! :laugh:
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    Just week Back and Biceps this evening, with Ab Ripper X right after. Starting to see some tone in the abs - for probably the first time in my life. So I am just finishing week 6 - the half way mark. I should be down 14 pounds this Saturday AM. Will let you all know.
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    good morning Tony! Thanks for the advice! Cant wait till sunday week 9 starts! Yay back to weights and the fun stuff! Have a great day!:smile:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Hi, all! Didn't get a chance to post yesterday. Ran 3 miles in the am, then yoga before dinner. I am definitely better at some of the poses!:smile: However, I still find it fairly challenging, but I guess that's the point!:laugh: I just LOVE how I feel when I'm done, though!

Ran again this morning- another 3 miles. Will do Legs and Back this afternoon! I actually really like this routine!!! ARX to follow. I missed an ARX this week:grumble: - got off on my days and was really sore through my core so decided to skip it. I'll push harder today to make up for that!!!

Hey, Tony- I don't seem to be able to get messages through beachbody- I don't use outlook express. Do you have any suggestions?

Have a good day, everyone!! Gonna be almost 80 here and sunny!!!:drinker:
  • mosse33
    mosse33 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    im starting p90x in a couple of week just need to sort my diet out HELP!!! lol
    ive worked out i need 2400 cal a day
    and at 50pro 30carb and 20 fat
    is it best to go by the 7 portions of protein a day same with carbs and fat
    or input the food on this site and see what the total at end of the day comes to
    plus do u all take protein drinks and which is best whey or protein
    sorry for these silly questions but im hopeless on diets and want to get it right 4 great results
    great forum tony keep it up
    cheers
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    Just finished week 6. Today I hit 169 lbs, so I am down 16.5 lbs since March 16.

My waist size is now 35.8 inches, versus 40 inches when I started - and I hit 21 reverse grip chin ups during Legs and Back. Plus I can keep up with Ab Ripper X now, so that is major progress.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    P90X DAY THIRTY-EIGHT - Back & Biceps, Ab Ripper X

As tough as this workout is, one thing I can say is that I am REALLY noticing the gains in upper arm strength that I've been getting over the course of this program so far. I had to increase my weight in seven of the resistance moves from 30- to 40-lb bands. Only one more band weight to go, and then I'm going to have to take a serious look at getting some dumbbells. Just goes to show if you get busy with this program the results WILL come. Today's nemesis? The Corn-Cob Pullup... Good lord, those are a killer. There is still improvement to be found however. Last week I could only manage three; this week, I did five, so that's moving in the right direction. ARX was good, too... The farthest I can make it before starting to hit [PAUSE] to keep up now if the fifth move, which is hard to believe because my abs have always seemed to be my weakest area. Thank God for progress... lol.

Next on deck is Yoga X... That's the good stuff... lol.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    P90X DAY THIRTY-NINE - Yoga X

This was actually more relaxing than it's been in times past. Not that it wasn't hard work, but the week had been stressful enough that Yoga X looked good by comparison... lol. I think my nemesis today was not a particular move as it was a series of moves - the Yoga Belly 7. For those of you unfamiliar with that, as the name suggests, it's a series of poses that work on the abs and core. At first glance, these poses don't seem terribly menacing, and to hold them for a few seconds is generally not too tough. However, try holding "Boat" for 30 seconds, and those will be some of the longest seconds you've ever lived! If you don't think you'll work hard doing yoga, think again people. Like Tony Horton says, "It will focus on your weak spots." It definitely does, no doubts there.

Legs & Back is on-deck... Bring the bar baby!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    P90X DAY FORTY - Legs & Back, Ab Ripper X

Just when you think (more like pray) that your leg strength has caught up with this workout enough to not make it quite so uncomfortable, you do it and realize that's never gonna happen. Of course, I mean that in the best, most positive way possible. I had two nemeses in the workout today - Wall Squats (all of them) and Sneaky Lunges. The wall sqauts just set my quads on fire, especially the one-legged ones. That's one of the few times I find myself staring at the on-screen timer thinking, "Please let time speed up!" As to sneaky lunges - well, they're just plain tortuous. The funny thing is, it isn't the exercise itself that kills, it's having to stay on your toes and keep your heels off the floor for the entire set. THAT'S what wakes you up. Whew!

I looked back over the last few iterations of this workout, and I've noticed that my total pullups for the workout have been steadily increasing: 82 in week 2, 89 in week 3, 111 in week 5, and 133 this week. Not too shabby I'd say.

Kenpo X next... Time for sweatin'...
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Hey folks... Trying to catch up here... Busy, busy weekend, but the weather was positively glorious. Hope it was for you where you were this weekend. On to the replies...

rowerc2... You're making awesome progress brother. Gotta love losing those inches. Keep plugging away at it my friend!

Tracy... I hear you about the weights. I really do look forward to getting up on the pullup bar these days. Maybe I'm enjoying getting hammered a little more than I should... lol.

April... The only thing I can figure is that perhaps your spam filter on whatever email program you use is filtering out the WOWY invite emails. Are you receiving WOWY invites from any other users?

mosse33... First off, welcome to the thread! Pleased to have you aboard, and I hope you'll stick around cuz we have a great bunch of P90X'ers who are bringin' it BIG time.

To your dietary questions, I think the best nutrition program (I despise "diet") is the one you can stick with that's going to support your fitness goals. The P90X nutrition guide was designed right along with the exercise program itself, and while it can't cover every single individual circumstance, it does a great job of covering most if not all the bases for you. I think one thing I'd mention is that you have to listen to what your body is telling you. Take the Phase I plan for example. Some folks can hang with it for that first month; others have to move on because they keep bonking in their workout with the restricted carbs and increased protein.

Having said that, I made a decision to stick with the nutrition guide as-is just to see how it would get me through this first P90X round, and I haven't been disappointed so far. I supplement a good bit, and my forays into educating myself about nutrition in general and sports nutrition in particular have supported my decisions. I take a multivitamin daily... I use powdered whey protein supplement (mixed as a drink or added to a smoothie)... I have P90X recovery drink religiously after every workout (makes a big difference to me)... and lastly, I just started this last week using a creatine monohydrate supplement (has to do with intra-muscular energy cycle replenishment, but that's a whole other story).

On the other side of the coin, I'm sure there are folks that don't use anything outside of a healthy diet and do just fine; we're all different. As to keeping track of your intake on here versus just sticking to the nutrition guide, I think where this site comes in handy is helping you to make certain you're selecting healthy foods to get the servings called for in the guide, provided you're very honest about what you post in your food journal. It could help you see where you're not getting the best versions of certain nutrients (eating a Big Mac instead of a boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast for example). "Clean" eating doesn't mean living off of tree bark and granola... It means eating a healthful combination of foods that give you the best nutrient value per calorie consumed (a bad food in this regard would be a regular Coke - 140 calories and no nutritive value to speak of).

You'll excuse me if I got on my soapbox a bit; I do that sometimes when the subject is important to me. The fact is, you can't out-train poor intake. To get the most out of your Porsche, you have to use premium fuel. Same goes for your soon-to-be P90X body... Feed it well brother. Let me know if you have any additional questions (and I'll TRY to be briefer in my response... but I can't promise... lol).
  • mosse33
    mosse33 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info tony
    can i just ask if its worth getting the bands i do have dumbells but im no good with pull ups 2-3 reps on test so just wondering if should start off on the bands
    cheers
  • trenauldo
    Options
    thanks for the info tony
    can i just ask if its worth getting the bands i do have dumbells but im no good with pull ups 2-3 reps on test so just wondering if should start off on the bands
    cheers
    mosse33... The resistance bands are a good way to get results out of your workout, no question. I also like them because they're easy to take along when traveling to keep on my workout schedule. If you have dumbbells already, I'm not sure if bands are necessary unless you do some regular traveling. Another thing too is that I can already see when there's going to come a day when I grow past the bands and will need to invest in dumbbells myself. I noted this weekend that I may have to move up to the 50-lb band on some exercises, and that's the highest "weight" they make.

As to your starting pull-up number, if you look at the very first post of this thread, you'll see that I could only do 4 pull-ups when I started, and I've been using a pull-up bar throughout so far. In the Army, we say it's best to "train the way you'll fight." In other words, the best way (not the ONLY way) to get better at pull-ups is to do pull-ups. Watch the DVD's that include pull-ups in the routine, and note how some of the exercisers use a chair to help them. That's what I've done, and it's worked out well, and I'm making what I consider to be good progress (see my P90X DAY FORTY post below). I'm just starting to be able to do some of my pull-ups "unassisted", so I know things are coming along. If you want to start with the bands, by all means do. Just pay careful attention to your form to make sure you're targeting the back, arm, and shoulder muscles that a pull-up uses rather than doing a "row"-type exercise. You want to pull the band down instead of in toward your chest. Tony Horton mentions it in one of the workouts to kneel, then bend forward at the waist to get that down-motion correct. Let me know what you decide...